Climate continues to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? "Stewardship?" Where did you get that from? You need to stop watching re-runs of Silent Running...

Calling humanity steward of the planet is similar to calling me a steward of my car. Which I'm not - I own my car. This doesn't mean that I'm not treating it well and taking good care of it, but it is mine to use as I see fit.

Like it or not, humanity holds absolute power over the Earth. We're not stewards - we own the place and are free to shape it into whatever we want. To claim otherwise may sound good, but is an illusion.

Presumably you bought your car and hold a legal title to it. I'll wait while you produce your ownership papers and registration to the planet Earth.

Skeptical Science? John Cook??? BWWWHAHHAAAAA.....

You going to continue to regurgitate whatever Google BS you can come up with....

Or would you like to try some critical thinking and explain why 450,000 years of weather and 4 prior warming spikes (all hotter than today) are irrelevant?

I will even help you out. If you want to argue the above fact start, with historical Co2 and how it corresponds with each prior warming period. It is about the only thing you could possibly argue to help prove the point you ignorance has put you in.

I am not going to engage with you on your bullshit talking point non-science and your sophomoric straw man tactics (literally no one is claiming that they're irrelevant?). You couldn't even comprehend the fundamental difference between whether the consensus was referring to a consensus on climate change in general or AGW specifically, so I'm not about to put any effort into a real argument.

You can bwahahattack the link all you want, but it's simply describing a quantitative analysis of all of both published researched and the scientific community at large. Maybe if you can explain why you consider the conclusions of 82% of scientists and over 97% of published field experts irrelevant? Oh, I forgot, they're clandestinely being paid billions of dollars to lie in order to further the insidious cause of reducing our resource consumption and dependence on foreign fossil fuels. What a terrifying concept.

Skeptical Science? John Cook??? BWWWHAHHAAAAA.....

Skeptical Science:

Skeptical Science (occasionally abbreviated SkS) is a climate science blog and information resource created in 2007 by Australian blogger and author John Cook. In addition to publishing articles on current events relating to climate science and climate policy, the site maintains a large database of articles analyzing the merit of arguments commonly put forth by those involved in the global warming controversy who oppose the mainstream scientific opinion on climate change.

<snip>

Reception and motivation

Skeptical Science has become a well-known resource for people seeking to understand or debate climate change, and has been praised for its straightforwardness.[15] Marine biologist Ove Hoegh-Guldberg has described it as "the most prominent knowledge-based website dealing with climate change in the world",[16] and The Washington Post has praised it as the "most prominent and detailed" website to counter arguments by global warming skeptics.[17] In September 2011, the site won the 2011 Eureka Prize from the Australian Museum in the category of Advancement of Climate Change Knowledge.[18]

Cook is trained as a solar physicist and says he is motivated by his Christian beliefs.[19] He is one of a number of Christians publicly arguing for scientific findings on anthropogenic global warming, and is an evangelical Christian.[20]

And that is objectionable why?

I am not going to engage with you on your bullshit talking point non-science and your sophomoric straw man tactics (literally no one is claiming that they're irrelevant?). You couldn't even comprehend the fundamental difference between whether the consensus was referring to a consensus on climate change in general or AGW specifically, so I'm not about to put any effort into a real argument.

You can bwahahattack the link all you want, but it's simply describing a quantitative analysis of all of both published researched and the scientific community at large. Maybe if you can explain why you consider the conclusions of 82% of scientists and over 97% of published field experts irrelevant? Oh, I forgot, they're clandestinely being paid billions of dollars to lie in order to further the insidious cause of reducing our resource consumption and dependence on foreign fossil fuels. What a terrifying concept.

I truly am sorry you or having a tough time understanding.

I will type slow and break it down one more time for ya.....

I made one and only one, observation. That observation is that the Earth has gone through cycles of warming periods 5 times now in the last 450K years. Do you get why the other 4 could not be man made?

You make personal attacks. Changed the subject. Argued polls irrelevant to my point. Quoted a website study by John Cook, one of the most biased and ridiculed scientist on the whole subject. All while being a bitch about it.

NOT once did you address my point other to cry about the axis being off, to which I gave you another graph.

I sorry you do not understand and are left to these bullshit tactics.

I made one and only one, observation. That observation is that the Earth has gone through cycles of warming periods 5 times now in the lat 450K years.

Well, yes; but climatologists do not believe the present warming is part of that cycle.

VatAss finds it objectionable because it doesn't fit his confirmation bias, and therefore it impacts the "trooth" as he sees it.

Truth is you a a fat ass racist piece of shit. Polls prove this to.

No one here has yet to address my point.

Why?

No one here is smart enough to argue it.

But do continue trying to change the subject.... :rolleyes:

I made one and only one, observation. That observation is that the Earth has gone through cycles of warming periods 5 times now in the last 450K years. Do you get why the other 4 could not be man made?

You make personal attacks. Changed the subject. Argued polls irrelevant to my point. Quoted a website study by John Cook, one of the most biased and ridiculed scientist on the whole subject. All while being a bitch about it.

NOT once did you address my point other to cry about the axis being off, to which I gave you another graph.

Truth is you a a fat ass racist piece of shit. Polls prove this to.

No one here has yet to address my point.

Why?

No one here is smart enough to argue it.

But do continue trying to change the subject.... :rolleyes:

Uh....?

Effects of global warming. That's why it's a problem.

A lot of assumptions - so many that I can't even begin to counter them. Basically the consensus appears to be, that we are terrified of change.

scared_cat-300x281.jpg

In other words, the way things are right now is the best possible scenario and we should fight like crazy to keep it that way. Isn't that awfully presumptuous of us?

But then at the very bottom you can read...

It should also be noted that global average temperatures were higher during the Jurassic period than they are today. This does not, unfortunately, mean that global warming will bring back the dinosaurs.

Note the sarcasm - the author bias reveals itself. :rolleyes:

However it's a very interesting statement none the less, because it's true. The weather was a lot warmer - in fact, we have found Dinosaurs in Antarctica. This indicates an average temperature above zero, which in turn means melted ice. And guess what? The world didn't end. ;)

However it's a very interesting statement none the less, because it's true. The weather was a lot warmer - in fact, we have found Dinosaurs in Antarctica. This indicates an average temperature above zero, which in turn means melted ice. And guess what? The world didn't end. ;)

But the dinosaurs did. Again and N.B.: We're still in an Ice Age. Humans have never existed in a post-Ice-Age world, i.e., one with no ice even at the poles. That does not mean we could not survive in such a world, but it does mean we probably could not if the climate changed too fast for us to adapt -- not technogically, but biologically.

Last edited:

I said that did not understand what you were talking about, which is true. What you said about the 97% consensus was patently and provably incorrect (which you have yet to admit or address). And now you're calling me a bitch (which I will proudly cop to). It is interesting that you feel you are the one being attacked.

It wasn't a "website study." The link was merely reporting on the findings of a broad quantitative analysis. It is troubling that you cannot understand this.

Again, I'm not going to argue your charts. I appreciate the tactics you are using to paint me as emotional, unintelligent, and unwilling to engage, but I am not going to play that game with you. What your argument boils down to is that global heating and cooling are cyclical and that the current fluctuations are not man-made. There is a mountain of science and a community-wide consensus that you are wrong. If you are too lazy or ignorant to discover why for yourself, that doesn't mean I have an obligation to explain it to you.

Last edited:
In other words, the way things are right now is the best possible scenario and we should fight like crazy to keep it that way. Isn't that awfully presumptuous of us?

Not really. I think the word your looking for is cautions or conservative or sane.

How exactly does it indicate a temprature above zero?

Also the world ending isn't the risk at all. Other than your repeated evidence that you don't understand the science your discussing at all I don't understand how you even came to this conclusion.

Dinosaurs were on Gondwana, which eventually split to form Australia and Antarctica.

I know that continental drift theory is relatively new, only becoming accepted in the late 1950's. I suppose that can be your excuse.

But the dinosaurs did.

But for reasons unrelated to the climate change.

dinosaur_1247295.jpg

Again and N.B.: We're still in an Ice Age. Humans have never existed in a post-Ice-Age world, i.e., one with no ice even at the poles. That does not mean we could not survive in such a world, but it does mean we probably could not if the climate changed too fast for us to adapt -- not technologically, but biologically.

True - a too rapid change will cause a lot of problems. But either way the climate will change - with our without our help. It's inevitable, as Agent Smith would say. Too many people are spending way too much time worrying about it.

If people are freaked, out my advice is to learn how to swim and start hoarding penguins - when they become rare you can make a killing on eBay... ;)

Last edited:
True - a too rapid change will cause a lot of problems. But either way the climate will change - with our without our help. It's inevitable, as Agent Smith would say.

Yes, climate change is inevitable. Climate change as rapid as Earth has experienced since the Industrial Revolution is not inevitable, and is unprecedented.

Dinosaurs were on Gondwana, which eventually split to form Australia and Antarctica.

I know that continental drift theory is relatively new, only becoming accepted in the late 1950's. I suppose that can be your excuse.

Point being: Dinosaurs once lived in Antarctica, but Antarctica was not at the South Pole at the time.

And, really, come to think of it, dinosaurs are the least interesting thing that once lived in Antarctica. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, climate change is inevitable. Climate change as rapid as Earth has experienced since the Industrial Revolution is not inevitable, and is unprecedented.

But the industrial revolution was also unprecedented.

Never before in the history of the planet has there existed a species of life with the ability to "cheat evolution" and adapt as fast and to so many different environments as humans. Apart from the fact that it will take a serious disaster to impact us in any serious way, we're likely to develop ever more zero impact technology in the future. Not necessarily for the sake of the seals, but for political and economic reasons. Fossil fuel is a finite resource after all.

Yeah, I'm an optimist. So kill me :)

february-10-087.jpg

As no one has answers other than...

But the consensus says!!!!! ( Followed by big foot stamp)

I suggest you look in to that 97% consensus and the history of John Cook.

The real number is closer to .05%....but, hey don't believe me. try doing some research. This "97% paper and John cook have been torn apart by more credible sources than me.

Better yet, read the actual fucking paper. You can pick up where he skewed the data in about 5 minutes if you are not retarded.

Last edited:
Presumably you bought your car and hold a legal title to it. I'll wait while you produce your ownership papers and registration to the planet Earth.

I don't own the car because I hold the title. I own the car because I can send the police after anybody who disputes my claim to it. In other words, I own the car because I have the means of defending my possession.

We own the Earth for pretty much the same reason. If a bear should make it to New York and start eating people, we have the means of dispatching it with extreme prejudice. If 2000 bears should follow, they still don't stand a chance. In other words, we own the Earth because we have the means of defending it against any other claimant.

Like a few fleas fighting over who owns the dog.

True that. :D

The correct term for what we own would be "the biosphere." We can't do anything to the planet itself. Even if we should manage to blow it to pieces (which we can't) it would simply slowly reassemble itself and become solid again after a few million years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back