“Comment submitted to moderation?”

Thank Goodness

I got this after making a comment. I thought I had finally gone too far last time, and I had really done it. But, this is apparently an automated process. Thank goodness. That is one less person I have to be worried about reading a comment I make.

I refreshed the page I left a comment on an hour or two after leaving it, and it was there. I do think the message is a bit too damn scary, though. It made me make my first forum post.

I'd hazard a guess it's a system similar to the open source email filtering software SpamAssassin that uses Bayesian and rules-based classification to determine if something is spam or not. Someone said their comment was put up nearly immediately. Then I'd guess the filtering system is automated but is not being used in real-time. It should be fast enough to work within a second, though. As long as spam comments are reported and entered into the system to be identified as spam, it will adapt. (But it doesn't sound like it could help with the problem the previous poster experienced.) It sounds like this was a fun project.

Last edited:
Hmmm it disappeared and comments were going through but it just came back tonight.

I suspect it's just directed at the accounts that post larger amounts of comments. After all you have to be making a lot of them to catch every story.

I saw it for the first time last night. I wonder if it will also weed out hateful or mean comments from legitimate users.

Must be trying to weed out the spam. In all the years I've been here I've never seen as much as the last couple of months have delivered.
My guess the new process is a spam checker first, a comment adjudicator a distant second.

If the writer takes offence at your comment, it's up to them to delete it or keep it. If it's an offensive comment, then the site moderator has the discretion to remove it. It's important to note that "taking offence" is not always the same thing as "offensive."

My guess the new process is a spam checker first, a comment adjudicator a distant second.

If the writer takes offence at your comment, it's up to them to delete it or keep it. If it's an offensive comment, then the site moderator has the discretion to remove it. It's important to note that "taking offence" is not always the same thing as "offensive."

I doubt it does any comment adjudication. More checks for those spam messages we've all been getting and deletes them.

I was a rather busy commenter last week, and noticed this for the first time when I leave a really long comment on a series chapter after leaving shorter comments on several previous chapters.

I thought, whoa, got some threshold! Then I made little comment on different story by another author, and got it again, what made me wonder had I made some blacklist or what. But my next comment went live immediately. Then two more shown moderation messages. I have checked, and each and every of my comments got try eventually, but I don't know how long the delay was.

I hazard a guess that there might be certain dictionary or structure avoiding with you are posted right out, but that's just a raw guess and may be far from true.

Whatever it is, it has to be automated if it flag most to all comments for this moderation. More likely than not it is just another layer for spam bot protection.

Really?

No sure if it's designed to weed out spam or not. It gave us this for a comment on our own story.
-MM

Comment is submitted to moderation

Thank you for posting a comment! Your comment will appear on Literotica after being reviewed.

Glad to see it wasn't just me. I hadn't commented on any story for several weeks and I thought to check in here and sure enough, there's a thread with others experiencing the same. Since I used to be at a site where all comments were taken seriously and actively moderated, I would rather see such a more active step taken because it helps protect the site and helps boost its reputation; users in turn came to our site because they knew we would then help them with computer and other electronic issues because they knew they would hardly ever see spam or b.s. posts to their questions. We hardly ever had flaming issues and other such nonsense because of the above approach and it was a far better user experience for all.

Last edited:
Back