Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, sad news. Grew up in Brooklyn when the Dodgers were there and the Duke was the Dodgers. And then, mirabile dictu, there he was again, when I moved to Montreal and he was the Expos' commentator...
 
Yes, sad news. Grew up in Brooklyn when the Dodgers were there and the Duke was the Dodgers. And then, mirabile dictu, there he was again, when I moved to Montreal and he was the Expos' commentator...

I'm not sure why, but about the time the Duke retired was the time I stopped listening to baseball.

new word: Omnigamy-the state of group marriage that existed and still exists in hunter/gatherer(forager) bands where all the women have sexual access to all the men and vice versa. The natural state of humanity.
 

graupel • n., heavily rimed snow particles, often called snow pellets; often indistinguishable from very small soft hail except for the size convention that hail must have a diameter greater than 5 mm. Sometimes distinguished by shape into conical, hexagonal, and lump (irregular) graupel.








Ahhhh, my daily perusal of the Bishop Hill blog ( written by Andrew W. Montford, author of The Hockey Stick Illusion ) was rewarded by a sighting of this rara avis of a word. See: http://bishophill.squarespace.com/blog/2011/2/28/snow-in-lahore.html



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel



 
Last edited:
Thank you, Trysail, for the information on Duke, sad as it was to read. I actually cried while reading the article. My mistake on the spelling of his last name. My Dad was adopted and his real last name was Snyder. My parents thought my adoration of the older baseball player was a little odd and wondered if there was some genetic connection. They didn't tell me about it until I was older. I sometimes forget we spelled the last name differently. My father looked like Tom Snyder and that always made me wonder, too.

Volupt, maybe we could start our own omnigamous group?

rictus - noun 1. the gape of a bird's mouth 2. a. the mouth orifice b. a gaping grin or grimace
 
I guess the Lifestyle folks come the closest.... hehehe

Never heard this one;

Richard Roe - noun a party to legal proceedings whose true name is unknown, similar to John Doe
 
I guess the Lifestyle folks come the closest.... hehehe

Never heard this one;

Richard Roe - noun a party to legal proceedings whose true name is unknown, similar to John Doe
Generally only used when there is also a John Doe (or Jane Doe) involved -- i.e. Richard Roe is the second unknown (male) person.
 
Harold, so what is the feminine of Richard Roe in the case of a second unknown female?

rice Christian - noun a convert to Christianity for material benefits
 
Harold, so what is the feminine of Richard Roe in the case of a second unknown female?

I'm not sure, but Rachel Roe comes to mind.

Actually, with a bit of google research -- According to Wikipedia Richard and Jane Roe are the names used for anonymous or unknown plaintiffs while the Does, John, Jane, Baby, and Precious, are generally the defendants or unknown victims.

"Roe v. Wade" derives from the use of "Jane Roe" to protect the identity of the plaintiff.
 
Thank you, Harold, with your help, I learn something new everyday.

rheum - noun 1. a watery discharge from the mucus membranes esp. of the eyes and nose 2. archaic TEARS
 
I spent an evening with Eric Clapton in San Jose, and I must admit, he is still GOD!

rapture - noun 1. a state of experience of being carried away by overwhelming emotion 2. an expression or manifestation of ecstasy or passion
 
Had that once singing Monteverdi's Missa Postuma in the Santa Barbara Mission. As the music rang back and forth across the sanctuary the entire group started to cry as we sang. Damn' near converted the entire bunch to Catholicism it did.
 
Volupt, I took my mother-in-law, a Sicilian Italian, and the rest of the crew to Mother's Day Mass at the Santa Barbara Mission and they offered the most lovely port wine for communion, which really impressed Marie. Her parish church never offered the blood of Christ, only his body, the wafer. So much more meaninful with the blood or wine , in my opinion. Then we went to the beach and a whale went by while we were there.

rhabdomancy - noun divination by rods or wands
 
Had that once singing Monteverdi's Missa Postuma in the Santa Barbara Mission. As the music rang back and forth across the sanctuary the entire group started to cry as we sang. Damn' near converted the entire bunch to Catholicism it did.

Yes...on the other hand, my final separation from our HolY Mother came in senior year of high school. Went to the choir loft for my favorite rite _ Benediction - at my High School's Church, and instead of O Salutaris Hostia and Tantum Ergo, and buncnh of my classmates were there with guitars for Blowin' in the Wind. I'm far from a conservative, and I sang protest songs with these guys, but that drove me right out of the church and the Church...
 
Yes...on the other hand, my final separation from our HolY Mother came in senior year of high school. Went to the choir loft for my favorite rite _ Benediction - at my High School's Church, and instead of O Salutaris Hostia and Tantum Ergo, and buncnh of my classmates were there with guitars for Blowin' in the Wind. I'm far from a conservative, and I sang protest songs with these guys, but that drove me right out of the church and the Church...

But you were young and it was supposed to connect with you! :rolleyes:

It's amazing how many things are best just left alone . . .
 
But you were young and it was supposed to connect with you! :rolleyes:

It's amazing how many things are best just left alone . . .

Yes, like "modernizing" Shakespeare, and losing all the iambic pentameter and incredible insults...not to mention the metaphors and similes. I even seen some "modernization" de Moliere that have done the same. I often have my students read some originals and always find that they really like them. It's the damn Professional educators" who never liked real learning who go around convincing people that their crap is better than the real thing.

(wait a second...this is seldom used words, not rant about things. Sorry, Allard)
 
No need to apologize, Tio, my undarling. At my broher's Catholic Church in Tennessee, they do the service in several languages, songs included. Latin only services seem like they make a lot more sense these days. Just add some word at the end of your post to validate it, hehehe.

reynard - noun FOX
 
Thank you, Allard, my dearest unspouse, and so I'll end this post with a reference to...

motet noun. (1) To c1400, a piece with one or more voices, often with different but related sacred or secular texts, singing over a fragment of chant in longer note-values (2) after 1400, a polyphonic setting of a short sacred text.

And go play my polyphonic arrangement of Tantum Ergo on my 5-string banjo...
 
Basso ostinato: 1. A repeating bass line characterized by held notes of at least eight counts. 2. The repetitive bass line that occurs in all rock and roll.
 

lorgnette • n., A pair of glasses or opera glasses held in front of a person's eyes by a long handle at one side.








From the Metropolitan Opera on-line store:
get_image.aspx





 
Words that don't mean as they used to:

To retch - to clear one's throat. Now it means to dry-vomit.
To snite - to blow one's nose or pick one's nose; to clear one's nasal passageway of snot.
To wharve - to turn.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top