why is paying for sex illegal /

toetyper

Experienced
not trafficking. not underage sex. not pimping

the act of me exchanging money for sex is illegal

why

It's legal in Nevada, and other places.

Usually, there are people at the top who demand their cut of the action. In the old days, that was the religious leaders, running sex-for-money operations out of the temples.

It's illegal because all our religious types feel men should only screw them, not someone else they don't have ties to.

I believe prostitution should be legal. It would be, but legislatures are too cowardly to repeal laws against it. Additionally, it's a great source of bribes and payoffs and these would dry up if it were made legal.

As far as I'm concerned, that last sentence is a reason to make prostitution legal.

why

Men have always ruled the world but I wonder if married women throughout the ages have been universally in condemnation of someone taking over the only true bargaining chip that they have ever had.

It's illegal because of the Judeo-Christian edict about 'monogamy', because sex has historically been seen as something that should only happen within the bounds of marriage.
It's illegal because sex is seen as having some 'special' status that means it should only occur between people who 'care' for each other (see above), and should also be a service that one might sell/purchase.
It's illegal because women, and especially women's sexuality, is seen as something that is ideally controlled by society/by men - take your pick.
It's illegal because some arms of feminism (and let me be entirely clear - this is not 'the' feminist position on the topic) see exchanging sex for money as inherently exploitative.

It's also illegal because, everything else aside, it easily becomes a vehicle for sexual predatory behavior that preys on vulnerable victims.

It's also illegal because, everything else aside, it easily becomes a vehicle for sexual predatory behavior that preys on vulnerable victims.

I believe the legalizing and regulating would reduce that problem.

What do you mean by "sexual predatory behavior?" If a woman is known to be a prostitute and a man contacts her to arrange a date for sex, that is not predation. It's just a business proposal. However, if a john decides to beat her up or a pimp abuses her, that would be a form of predation. If she complains, she could get in trouble herself, because she is operating outside the law. However, if prostitution were legal, she would have the same rights and protection as any other citizen.

It's illegal because of the Judeo-Christian edict about 'monogamy', because sex has historically been seen as something that should only happen within the bounds of marriage.
It's illegal because sex is seen as having some 'special' status that means it should only occur between people who 'care' for each other (see above), and should also be a service that one might sell/purchase.
It's illegal because women, and especially women's sexuality, is seen as something that is ideally controlled by society/by men - take your pick.
It's illegal because some arms of feminism (and let me be entirely clear - this is not 'the' feminist position on the topic) see exchanging sex for money as inherently exploitative.

You were doing so well, up until the emboldened part, that I thought to myself: this is Kim writing? Could I have been wrong? Then, I started laughing.

The last point, was especially hilarious, the feminist complaining that some arm of feminism considers it exploitative.... Simply roll on your back hilarious and back to the user Kim Gordon that I know.

Phew, what a relief.

why

It's not illegal in New Zealand.

Now we just have to modernise our archaic drug laws and we'll have pretty much overhauled all of the old social stigma, granny state, interference in people's personal lives, laws

You were doing so well, up until the emboldened part, that I thought to myself: this is Kim writing? Could I have been wrong? Then, I started laughing.

The last point, was especially hilarious, the feminist complaining that some arm of feminism considers it exploitative.... Simply roll on your back hilarious and back to the user Kim Gordon that I know.

Phew, what a relief.

You've clearly misunderstood my last point entirely - I don't think sex work is inherently exploitative at all, but some feminists do, and it's a position that has informed the legal situation in some states, e.g. the Swedish model.

I disagree with your last assertion - modern women in Western societies are pretty much independent. And even if they live in abusive or oppressive environments, society gives them the option to walk away any time.

Aa to past attitudes - many of them were indeed oppressive towards women.
But the rationale between them was quite understandable: Historically, sex outside the bounds of marriage was discouraged because of lack of effective contraception or adequate treatment of STD's.

Imagine -as a man- raising 5 kids who in theory were considered to be yours, but had the same ginger hair as the town's drunk.
Or -as a woman- contracting Syphilis (a death sentence) from your philandering husband. Or giving birth to a child out of wedlock, and having to raise him/her without support.

And even now - I never understood those who view sex as a soul-less bodily function.

LOL. Sure.

You've clearly misunderstood my last point entirely - I don't think sex work is inherently exploitative at all, but some feminists do, and it's a position that has informed the legal situation in some states, e.g. the Swedish model.

I thought I knew the various sexual positions, but what is the Swedish one?

I thought I knew the various sexual positions, but what is the Swedish one?

I can't tell if you're actually interested or not ... but let's err on the side of caution.

Under the Swedish model, selling sex is legal, but buying it is illegal. Basically, it stopped the criminalisaton of sex workers, but attempted to curb prostitution by criminalising the punters. Not very successful - prostitution continues to exist, and the workers aren't really any better off (except for not getting arrested).

I can't tell if you're actually interested or not ... but let's err on the side of caution.

Under the Swedish model, selling sex is legal, but buying it is illegal. Basically, it stopped the criminalisaton of sex workers, but attempted to curb prostitution by criminalising the punters. Not very successful - prostitution continues to exist, and the workers aren't really any better off (except for not getting arrested).

So in other words, with the exception of taking the criminal element from the woman's (or sex worker for those who need to associate all permutations here), it actually changes nothing. It's still illegal in that regard. The penalty is simple shifted from seller to buyer.

So in other words, with the exception of taking the criminal element from the woman's (or sex worker for those who need to associate all permutations here), it actually changes nothing. It's still illegal in that regard. The penalty is simple shifted from seller to buyer.

I don't know about other places, but in CA. soliciting an act of prostitution is illegal. Of course, this leads to entrapment of men who give a positive response to police decoys. One of these days, I would like to see somebody entrap the entrappers.

I don't know about other places, but in CA. soliciting an act of prostitution is illegal. Of course, this leads to entrapment of men who give a positive response to police decoys. One of these days, I would like to see somebody entrap the entrappers.

Simple solution to that you know, stop breaking the law, asshole.

Yes. The theory was that criminalising the selling was bad for women. The underlying premise is that sex work is fundamentally exploitative for women, and criminalising them just made the situation worse.

It's not worked very well at all, and wasn't a move supported by sex workers as a whole.

the act of me exchanging money for sex is illegal why

I think the reason is to protect women. The sex biz can be a horribly exploitative one, and I sense you and I agree that there should be some controls on the matter. But sex for money .... or position (like many of Wienstein's outraged women- should not, in and of itself, be illegal. Whose body is it, anyway?

Historically, in Japan, there were two broad classes of prostitutes. The geisha were often quite accomplished and respected women, rather similar to Renaissance courtesans. But under them, there were the streetwalkers who sold their bodies for whatever they could get, and their fate was an unhappy one.

‘More women are sexual predators than men’: South Carolina pastor blames ‘war on men’ to defend Roy Moore

Pastor Franklin Raddish of the Capitol Hill Independent Baptist Ministries has dismissed recent allegations of powerful men as attacks that are part of a so-called “war on men,” AL.com reports.

“More women are sexual predators than men,” Rev. Raddish claimed.

“Women are chasing young boys up and down the road, but we don’t hear about that because it’s not PC,” Rev. Raddish alleged.

In 2004, Rev. Raddish organized a protest at the Rhea County Courthouse in Dayton Tennessee in 2004, using the site of the Scopes Monkey Trial to highlight his opposition to pedophilia to rationalize his anti-LGBT bigotry.

Can you give me some phone numbers of these 'pussy predators' Rev?:)

Back