The non-erotic section

WhiskeyIsGood

Virgin
I have no idea if this is the right category for this question...or if the question has already been asked, for that matter. I've been writing on Literotica for the past seven or eight years now. I'm only just starting to branch into other categories...one of my latest story ideas, does not entirely fit into my normal genre. What I mean by that is, yes, there will be sex...and it will be graphic...but, it's not going to be as frequent as my other stories. I THINK that it might fit best, under non-erotic. My question is this: Can you still include sexual elements in stories under non-erotic? Or is it just specifically meant for stories, that have nothing sexual at all. Same thing goes for the category of Novels and Novellas...I ask THAT because this could also fit under that category, as it will be a pretty long series, and I'd like to someday have it published. Thoughts? Opinions? I don't participate in the forums very often but, I'm looking to change that, since I've been on the site for so long now...I might as well make some friends.

Non erotic is generally used for, well, stories without erotica, essays, how-to-do-stuff, general musings on life. It's a low traffic zone.

If you say your planned story has graphic sex, I'd be finding another category where the sex fits best.

Novels and novella is also a low volume category. Sure, there are plenty of novel length stories there; but so too there are novel length submissions in other categories (usually multi-chapter).

Generally, you'll get more readers if you try to target a category that better matches your sexual content. Some multi-chapter stories, for example, can be found across several categories; the usual advice, however, is to stick to the predominant content category (usually determined by the first chapter, which needs to be strong, as it's your hook).

Non erotic is generally used for, well, stories without erotica, essays, how-to-do-stuff, general musings on life. It's a low traffic zone.

If you say your planned story has graphic sex, I'd be finding another category where the sex fits best.

Novels and novella is also a low volume category. Sure, there are plenty of novel length stories there; but so too there are novel length submissions in other categories (usually multi-chapter).

Generally, you'll get more readers if you try to target a category that better matches your sexual content. Some multi-chapter stories, for example, can be found across several categories; the usual advice, however, is to stick to the predominant content category (usually determined by the first chapter, which needs to be strong, as it's your hook).

Thank you....I think I'm just going to put it in the category I see best fit, and hope for the best...my issue is that there will be graphic sex but, NOT in every chapter. I'm not trying to annoy readers by having some really intense sex scenes in one chapter, and then the next focuses on just romance/and character development. Hopefully, it goes well though.

Thank you....I think I'm just going to put it in the category I see best fit, and hope for the best...my issue is that there will be graphic sex but, NOT in every chapter. I'm not trying to annoy readers by having some really intense sex scenes in one chapter, and then the next focuses on just romance/and character development. Hopefully, it goes well though.
It will depend on the category. Don't worry about trying to please all readers. You won't be able to.

If it's long, my advice is finish it first, then submit chapter one. There are vast numbers of long, unfinished stories on Lit, and many people won't even start reading a long thing unless they know it's complete.

There are writers who successfully publish as they write, but many more who fall by the wayside through lack of time, inspiration, etc.

I have no idea if this is the right category for this question...or if the question has already been asked, for that matter. I've been writing on Literotica for the past seven or eight years now. I'm only just starting to branch into other categories...one of my latest story ideas, does not entirely fit into my normal genre.
What I mean by that is, yes, there will be sex...and it will be graphic...but, it's not going to be as frequent as my other stories.
I THINK that it might fit best, under non-erotic. My question is this: Can you still include sexual elements in stories under non-erotic? Or is it just specifically meant for stories, that have nothing sexual at all. Same thing goes for the category of Novels and Novellas...I ask THAT because this could also fit under that category, as it will be a pretty long series, and I'd like to someday have it published. Thoughts? Opinions? I don't participate in the forums very often but, I'm looking to change that, since I've been on the site for so long now...I might as well make some friends.

A good story should not have to rely on frequent, and/or graphic sex to be good.
One of the few 'sections' which has a low, but decent, readership is Non-Erotic, simply because it's a break from "insert Tab A into Slot B".

A good story should not have to rely on frequent, and/or graphic sex to be good.
One of the few 'sections' which has a low, but decent, readership is Non-Erotic, simply because it's a break from "insert Tab A into Slot B".

You are so right, HP. I have only posted there once, but the story was really well received. So what if only 100 people read it? :)

I have no idea if this is the right category for this question...or if the question has already been asked, for that matter. I've been writing on Literotica for the past seven or eight years now. I'm only just starting to branch into other categories...one of my latest story ideas, does not entirely fit into my normal genre. What I mean by that is, yes, there will be sex...and it will be graphic...but, it's not going to be as frequent as my other stories. I THINK that it might fit best, under non-erotic. My question is this: Can you still include sexual elements in stories under non-erotic? Or is it just specifically meant for stories, that have nothing sexual at all. Same thing goes for the category of Novels and Novellas...I ask THAT because this could also fit under that category, as it will be a pretty long series, and I'd like to someday have it published. Thoughts? Opinions? I don't participate in the forums very often but, I'm looking to change that, since I've been on the site for so long now...I might as well make some friends.

My readership for a long series in Romance is almost exactly the same as one I put in Novels and Novellas, for what that's worth.

You need to decide your goals. I want to write high quality stories. I am not much concerned about high view counts. So for me, posting in low traffic categories isn't a problem. I considered category hoping from chapter to chapter, but there is something about that that just seems wrong to me. Or perhaps I should say, for me. The only wrong choice for you is the one that leaves you dissatisfied.

I don't read in the nonerotic section, but if I did and ran across a story with graphic sex in it, I would consider it miscategorized. I do have an account that only writes nonerotic stories here, and the stories in that account receive my highest ratings of any of my other writing accounts on average.

Non erotic is generally used for, well, stories without erotica....If you say your planned story has graphic sex, I'd be finding another category where the sex fits best.

This is nail on the head advice from EB. Any sex I found in non-erotic story I would expect, for want if a better word, to be “vanilla.” Straightforward “boy loves girl/girl lives boy” and they make love. With the emphasis on making love and not shagging whilst he’s swinging on a chandelier wearing a leather jock strap and she’s wielding a whip whilst wearing 10” heels.

It will depend on the category. Don't worry about trying to please all readers. You won't be able to.

If it's long, my advice is finish it first, then submit chapter one. There are vast numbers of long, unfinished stories on Lit, and many people won't even start reading a long thing unless they know it's complete.

There are writers who successfully publish as they write, but many more who fall by the wayside through lack of time, inspiration, etc.

Never start a story unless you know where it’s going to end. If you start any journey without a destination then the likelihood is you end up in the ****! You don’t necessarily have to write the full story before submitting but you do have to have the plot, the timeline, and know the feeding stops on the way to the destination.

"Never" is such a useless word in terms of fiction writing. I do have an idea of an ending when I start to write. Usually it's not exactly the ending I planned that's what I get, and I feel all the better for not living in the "never" word when writing fiction.

Never start a story unless you know where it’s going to end. If you start any journey without a destination then the likelihood is you end up in the ****! You don’t necessarily have to write the full story before submitting but you do have to have the plot, the timeline, and know the feeding stops on the way to the destination.
Strongly disagree.

Some of my best stories (and best received stories) started off with no more than a glimmer of an idea or even a single image, and went from there. I don't need the end to start, ever.

Strongly disagree.

Some of my best stories (and best received stories) started off with no more than a glimmer of an idea or even a single image, and went from there. I don't need the end to start, ever.

If I needed the ending to start a story, nothing would ever get written.

If I needed the ending to start a story, nothing would ever get written.

In my limited experience, I think you can do it either way.

If you have specific goals and constraints on your story, like the number of words it will take, then it's good to have an ending in mind. If you aren't restricted, then you can let the words flow until they come to an end.

I've felt successful either way. I kinda like knowing where a story is going before I get there, but sometimes I see things while I'm writing that change what I want to do.

Back