The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here, I made plenty. BTW, you can still get the old boy's book from Amazon, though no one has yet ever traced the feller down.

SourdoughJackscookbook.jpg
 
Then I'll send you the recipe. It's from Sourdough Jack Mabee who ran a sourdough restaurant in San Francisco for years, published a cookbook and then disappeared from the face of the earth. People on the 'Net still talk about his recipes. Killer, just killer!

I would really like that recipe!

And now I"m taking my tired body to bed....ahhh Sunday...sleep in ...read paper....take a nap.....

Night Ya'll:kiss::kiss::kiss:
 
I would really like that recipe!

And now I"m taking my tired body to bed....ahhh Sunday...sleep in ...read paper....take a nap.....

Night Ya'll:kiss::kiss::kiss:

'Night, Tricia. :kiss: And goodnight, Tom and Bear too. :kiss::kiss:

Thanks for the biscuit! :D
 
Does Lit have a recipe forum? I really ought to share this where everyone can see. Sourdough Jack may have been just a small businessman trying to survive in The City but the man was a genius in the kitchen. I wonder whatever happened to him? He's probably passed on, by now. Heck, he had a white beard back in 1970!
 
Does Lit have a recipe forum? I really ought to share this where everyone can see. Sourdough Jack may have been just a small businessman trying to survive in The City but the man was a genius in the kitchen. I wonder whatever happened to him? He's probably passed on, by now. Heck, he had a white beard back in 1970!

Dunno...all searches come up zip...the dude's disappeared totally. Weird. :confused:
 
Dunno...all searches come up zip...the dude's disappeared totally. Weird. :confused:

There is a reference to a later edition of his book that mentions a Peter Perkins Mabee who may be his son. I wonder . . .


Hmmm, it turns out that Peter Perkins Mabee was the photographer of the last edition of the Sourdough Cookery. Did he do anything else, do you think?
 
Good afternoon, all. Ah, if only you could all be naked in the oasis with me. It's so nice out here.
 
Aw, Bear, be easy, huh?. You make the rest of us seem quite pale.
But I can pour a beer . . . . .

Please do! Ah luv beer . . .

Anyway, per requests, here's how to make sourdough biscuits.

Sourdough Jack Mabee’s Pinch-off Biscuits

First you need a sourdough starter. Back when Jack still had his store/restaurant/whatever in San Francisco, he would sell a package of dehydrated starter with each copy of his book. As I recall it, he had gotten the original starter from another Alaskan Sourdough who had gotten it from someone who had gotten it from a Basque shepherd who had brought it over from the Old Country where it had been in the family for 200 years. It makes a great story but you don’t need to go that far. There are a number of starters on the market, like this one from King Arthur: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop...&utm_term=san_francisco_sourdough_starter&gcl

Or, you could just look up how to start a batch from wild yeast or just use commercial yeast but the main thing is to build up a starter.

Let’s say, just for convenience, you bought a commercial starter. Follow the directions on the package for refreshing the yeast. Once it is up and growing, take one cup of starter, 2 cups of room temperature milk and 2 ½ cups of flour. Whisk the whole thing together and leave it grow in a warm part of your kitchen overnight. Do this in a stainless steel, glass or crockery bowl. Sourdough starter will keep in the refrigerator in a big jar, crock, whatever so long as it is kept sealed. Eventually it will develop a layer of alcohol on the top and turn a nasty dark tan. Be not afraid. Your bread will still come out lovely in spite of the disagreeable looking mess.

Making the Biscuits

8 hours before you intend to have biscuits, take a half cup of the starter and mix it with a cup of milk, and a cup of flour. Cover them with a clean dishtowel and let them grow in a warm spot. About an hour before the meal, heat the oven to 375 F, sift together 1 Tbs. sugar, ¾ tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder and ½ tsp soda with another half cup of flour.

On a bread board, lay out one cup of flour but keep the flour container close at hand. Pour the starter mix on top of the flour, sprinkle the flour/sugar mixture on top of that and begin to knead the ingredients together. If you’re like me you will find that a total of 2 ½ cups of flour isn’t anywhere enough so keep adding about a quarter cup of flour at a time until it turns into a soft dough instead of a messy batter.

Cut the dough into rounds with a biscuit cutter or an 8 oz. glass, dip each biscuit in melted butter, melted bacon drippings or salad oil and arrange them close together in a 9” pan. I like a cast iron skillet myself, just because. Let them rise for at least 30 minutes in a warm place.

Bake at 375 F for about a half hour. It might take a bit more or a bit less. Watch the oven to make sure they come out nicely brown and not too dark. There isn’t anything under the sun that is better to soak up gravy, pot likker or soup than these and they are killers under melted butter and honey!
 
Thanks very much, Bear....I'll try that for sure.

Good evening, naked people. How's Sunday been?
 
Thanks very much, Bear....I'll try that for sure.

Good evening, naked people. How's Sunday been?

Filling. :D

I smoked a muskox backstrap, baked potatoes, fixed up a batch of home-grown flageolet beans in onions with bacon and cut up a pineapple. In a bit I'm going to put the last of the Bailey's ice cream on a slice of zucchini chocolate cake.


Burp!

How about you?:rose:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top