Claymore and Dagger (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fiona explained to Kristoff how to get himself settled in the saddle and the harness attached properly. Once he was settled and comfortable, she got herself situated and gave Invah her leave to start on the flight.

"Move with her and give her some resistance. She will do most of the work." Fiona explained as she leaned forward in the saddle to make up for the fact that she was not in her harness.
 
Invah glided away across the water from the ships before her wings unfolded. A water take off was slow and difficult, but she was more than up to the task. Lifting them higher and higher, she broke away from the fleet easily, taking her time as Kristoff got used to the sensation. But there was no fear in the prince, only sheer thrill and amazement. Eyes wide, he watched the world pull away from them and he naturally seemed to lean as needed to combat the wind and force of the turns.
 
"I think he needs his own dragon, Invah." Fiona called to the dragon above the wind, chuckling at Kristoff's excitement.
 
"We'll have to let him fall a few.times, then we'll see," Invah chuckled. Kristoff looked.nervous but excited at the prospect, looking to Fiona. "Have you ever.fallen? I heard dragons have maneuvers to catch you in mid air."
 
"They make you fall on purpose while training. Many times, in fact." Fiona said with a chuckle. "You get used to it and you learn to trust your dragon to keep you safe."
 
"It's amazing to think someone so much bigger than you can snatch you right out of the air without hurting you."

"There are bruises and blackouts here and there, but nothing serious," Invah called, swooping down toward the ships tilted completely on her side so Kristoff could see it all. She was also helping to get Fiona closer and closer to the ability to fly upside down without a harness, just in case the need should ever arise.
 
"Invah and her mate had never once let me fall." Fiona said as Invah suddenly twisted and went sideways, letting them have a view as the world tilted to meet them.
 
The sudden turn took Kristoff's breath away, but he lost any fear as he looked down upon the ships with this new bird's eye view most humans could only imagine and would never see. When Invah righted herself, they sped off toward the horizon only to round back at full speed and then glide down close to the water.
 
The water sprayed around them as Invah took them as close to the ocean's surface as she could before she pulled up again. Fiona saw the excitement in Kristoff's eyes and she chuckled, knowing that the prince would soon have his own dragon to train with. He was hooked in a matter of moments.
 
By the time Invah came in over the ship and let Kristoff try the simple maneuver of sliding off her saddle onto her arm for her to drop him gently on the deck, Christopher and Kayla had emerged hearing the news of what their son was up to.
 
"Kristoff." Kayla said as her son finally landed on the deck, her heart hammering in her chest. "What has gotten into you?"
 
"It was amazing," Kristoff told her with a smile, turning to look out toward Invah as she glided to a landing in the water. Normally he was reserved and stone-faced, but it seemed as if flight had suddenly awoken a spark in him. "Did you see us? We could've touched the mast, Invah flew so close."
 
Kayla was surprised to hear her son talk about something with such excitement. He was normally so quiet and reserved, but riding that dragon had certainly done something to him. He seemed to be ready to go back up in a moment's notice.
 
Christopher stepped forward, a worried furrow to his brow. "I wish you would've let us know. You nearly gave your mother a heart attack."

"It was completely safe. Lady Kyre has carried riders for years."
 
"Kristoff, love, it doesn't matter. You are the crowned prince. You can't simply go off and do things like that." Kayla said, giving her son a shake as she gripped his shoulders. "What if she hadn't been able to catch you in time?"
 
"It was just a ride, mother. I had all the safety straps and Invah didn't go too fast or too high. She's not reckless. Nor is her Rider."

Christopher glanced to Fiona at that, and there was a combination of worry and guilt in his gaze as he spoke to her and Kristoff, "I think we'd rather the Prince of Norway keep his feet on the ground."

Kristoff stiffened, his posture becoming perfect and his expression schooled and unreadable as he retreated into himself, answering simply, "... Yes, father." He'd learned that ability from being raised in a court where weakness might be jumped on at any moment, and he had a particular talent for it, making himself unreadable even to the people who knew him best.
 
"Kristoff, don't act like that." Kayla scolded softly as he stiffened and retreated into himself. "Please. It breaks my heart."

Fiona was hanging back from the family as the crew of the ship worked to get her belongings onto the ship from Invah's back.

"We have many dragons that needs homes when this war is over with. They are good souls and they are made to be riders. It might be a good idea that someone in this family takes one for their own." Fiona tried to reason as Kayla glanced over at her.

"I've just lost two people that are very dear to me. I will not lose my son right now." Kayla insisted, looking to Kristoff and Christopher. "Not after all the pain it took to get you here."
 
Kristoff only nodded to his mother, then turned to head to the royal cabins. He had never been a rebellious or petulant child and that still stood. When he was told to do something, he silently took on the responsibility and would only protest if he felt it was morally wrong or he was unable to manage it.

Christopher sighed, bowing.his head slightly. "I'm sure Kristoff would be plenty capable... But there are simply too many risks involved. The Triad doesn't need any more risk-takers and suicide-seekers... Enough of those have already departed our shores to seek revenge."
 
Lena was sound asleep when she heard her brother sit down at her side, his arm wrapping around her as he lay down beside her and held her tightly. She turned into his chest and let out a little sigh, her dark eyes opening to look at him in the dim light of her cabin.

"What's wrong?" Lena asked softly, understanding her brother better than anyone else.

They had both grown up in a family that was full of love, but they had also been protected so fiercely by their parents and their guards. She knew that her mother had fought so hard to have each of her children and they both knew about the siblings that had died both in and out of her womb. It made them closer, but it also made them frustrated at the lack of freedom.
 
"Don't be mad at Mama." Lena said softly as her brother closed his eyes. "She'll think you're angry with her."
 
"You still want to be a soldier?" Lena asked, lifting her head to look at her brother. "Da said when you were older and you said you were alright with that."

Lena knew her brother's deepest desires and secrets. They told each other everything as their lives were so unique that friends would never understand. She knew how he wanted to train and lead as a soldier would, but their parents had always insisted that he wasn't ready.
 
"I'm long past the age where most noble boys start training... Some even have low officer ranks by now... That rider we met in Sweden, Fiona Blackstone... She's outside and she and Lady Invah welcomed me on a ride. I couldn't have been in safer hands, but mother and father both insisted I shouldn't be doing that. They barely even let me ride horses father didn't train personally. I... I'm not sure I can take it much longer "
 
"HAve you spoken to them about it? I don't think Mama knows how much you hurt." Lena said softly as he admitted that he was frustrated. "If you wait until you're king, your entire life will have passed you by."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top