Bitching about Boston

The thunder and lightning signaled the arrival of Spring. Not much thundersnow, this year.

This week the women of Boston will be showing off their new wardrobes, as it will not be cold enough to turn their toes blue.

(Or,the students will be strolling to the coffee shops in light pajamas and bedroom slippers.)

Bare knees!

April 17, 2017 121st Boston Marathon
 
Tonight, I am forced to open the windows. Using the top of the stove has caused the whole house to become uncomfortably warm.

Spring usually lasts for 15 minutes.

Is five minutes the new standard ?
 
WFXT (Channel 25) said Thursday it is changing the name of its local “Fox 25 News” newscast to “Boston 25 News.”

The station will still broadcast Fox shows and refer to itself as Fox 25 in most cases, including on its building signs and on-screen visuals during non-news broadcasts.


January, NBC launched its own station in the market, separating from longtime affiliate WHDH (Channel 7), which responded by expanding its news team. ABC affiliate WCVB (Channel 5) and CBS’s local station, WBZ-TV (Channel 4) are also in the mix.


https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...wscast-name/dZMe0bP446w6iMGR5wcK4J/story.html
 
Boston has been busy with an effort to spruce up. Everyone will have marvelous selfies on Marathon day.

At the beginning, City Hall Plaza was meant to invite people. It somehow reminds me of Tiananmen Square, these days.

:rolleyes:

Saturday was an odd day. Burning hot, as if it were July, in the afternoon. I felt badly for the children, when sundown started. A very strong wind decided to gust cold air at them. All the construction dust was in the air.

I carried my coat, all day. I tied my fleece sweater around my waist.
 
The first sign of Spring in Massachusetts, was that the cars resumed a accidentally crashing into houses. That was followed by trucks deliberately crashing into stores, to rob them.

(The ice and snow seems to slow them down, enough. They slide off the highway, and into the ditches.)

Soon, the robberies of liquor stores were frequent. After that, home invasions and car jackings followed. The bank robbers, and the thugs that mug people, were the last to heed the ground hog.

We have something new this year, imported from Europe. Crashing into the storefronts of jewelry stores, to scoop up thousands of dollars worth of watches, gold, and jewels.

I am not sure about the people that drive backwards, down one way roads. That is a new one, and I am always surprised to see it done.
 

The 20th Anniversary of Massachusett's April Fool's Day Nor'easter




by Ric Werme

...This year’s March 31 – April 1 snowstorm from north of Boston into all of northern New England brings back memories from twenty years ago of the incredible “April Fool’s” nor’easter of 1997. This occurred when a rapidly deepening low formed off the New Jersey coast responding to a late season trough in the upper atmosphere. The storm then stalled just south of Martha’s Vineyard for about 12 hours producing snowfall rates as much as 3 inches per hour overnight, March 31 into April 1st. This storm still stands as the greatest 24 hour snowfall (29 inches, 74 cm) on record at Blue Hill Observatory.

Forever known as the “April Fool’s” snowstorm, the March 31- April 1 nor’easter produced 1 to 3-foot (30 to 90 cm) snowfall totals over a wide area. Boston recorded its heaviest April snowfall on record with 25 inches (64 cm), and its third-heaviest for any month. This amount roughly equaled what had fallen for the entire winter season that year in Boston. Several hundred thousand customers were without electricity during and after the storm due to the heavy/wet nature of the snow. Damage to trees in the area was extensive. High winds were also a problem with gusts in the 50 to 70 mile per hour (20 to 30 meters per second) range common along the coast. In Boston Harbor, the tip of one of the masts of the USS Constitution (“Old Ironsides”) was sheared off by the winds. Blue Hill Observatory reported a wind gust of 72 mph (32 m/s)...



 
Boston overwhelmingly voted to keep school money in the public school system, and not to slather luxurious amounts of money on private charter schools.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/11/08/charter/v34OA3vMI8dRABDsFc4JuM/story.html

2017 National Teacher of the Year

Sydney Chaffee, a humanities teacher at Codman Academy, a public charter school in Dorchester, holds the honor for 2017. Trump says it’s ‘‘really something special’’ that the winner is from a charter school. Charter schools are publicly funded but privately operated, and Trump supports creating more of them.


Trump commented as he welcomed teachers of the year from all U.S. states and territories to the Oval Office.

The teachers’ visit coincided with first lady Melania Trump’s 47th birthday and she joined the president and Education Secretary DeVos for the event.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...-trump-says/HSiFCJlcWWJ0vJRGw7QzJJ/story.html


I hate it, that everyone is forced to suck Emperor Carrot's flacid penis, out of fear he will hurt schools.

The teachers were forced to kiss Melania's dehydrated arse, out of fear.

If it would have been Michelle Obama, there would have been real love in their song.

Michelle Obama cared, and she showed it with her actions, at the very
beginning.We did not worry about the question of, if President Obama was bullying or abusing Michelle.
 

Is it true that a driver MUST use EZ-Pass on the Mass Pike ? I am being told that you cannot pay your toll using cash. Is that correct ?


What happens if you don't have an EZ-Pass ?

 
Motorists must now pay Mass Pike tolls by having their license plate photographed and a bill sent in the mail or by having a prepaid E-ZPass account and a windshield transponder.

October 28, 2016

Massachusetts switched to an all electronic tolling system.

Oct 29, 2016

A different look for the old Mass. Turnpike.

They started to remove the old physical toll plaza structures and tollbooths. Turnpike toll plazas are no longer causing a bottleneck.

April 25, 2017

MassDOT announced on Tuesday that the "grace period" for those without E-ZPass transponders that allowed them to pay at the lower transponder toll rate will end on May 8.

The "grace period" allowed those who paid by plate to receive a credit that would allow them to pay the same rate as those who had an E-ZPass.


After May 8, anyone who passes through a toll without an E-ZPass will receive the Pay By Plate invoice in the mail. The only way to receive a credit and pay the lowest rate possible is to order a free E-ZPass. Once the invoice is paid, the driver will receive the credit on his or her new E-ZPass.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/04/massachusetts_drivers_need_an.html
 

Thanks.


I'll be passing through the state. I will not be coerced into buying an EZPass.



 
It is the Modern Age.

I think what really tipped it over the edge, was texting while trying to enter the slots to access the coin bin, or (talking on the smart phone.) and ramming the car into something on the plaza.

That, and the assault, rape, robbery, and terrorizing of toll booth attendants.

Saving over 30 million dollars, by not hiring toll booth attendants, and toll booth repairmen, put a stamp on it.

There goes a piece of my childhood.

bye bye
 


Red Sox Apologize To Orioles Player For Fans' Racist Taunts

May 2, 2017
Heard on All Things Considered

by Shira Springer


(NPR) The Red Sox organization issued an apology for racist taunts directed at Adam Jones, an outfielder for the Baltimore Orioles. The club vowed to crack down on future bad crowd behavior.​





ROBERT SIEGEL, HOST:

The Boston Red Sox issued an apology this morning after reports of racial taunting at their game last night. Adam Jones, an outfielder with the visiting Baltimore Orioles, said he was subjected to racial epithets and that at least one fan threw a bag of peanuts at him. Shira Springer of member station WBUR reports that the fallout isn't over.

SHIRA SPRINGER, BYLINE: It was an unusually raucous night at Fenway Park. After the game, Jones called the heckling one of the worst experiences of his 12-year major league career.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

ADAM JONES: It just shows that people still live in their own world. They still have their own views, obviously. And some people like to express hatred towards another person.

SPRINGER: The fan who threw a bag of peanuts at Jones was identified and escorted out of the ballpark. That fan was 1 of 34 people ejected last night, some for alcohol-related incidents, some for fighting and one for using profane language directed at a player, presumably Jones. Red Sox Team President Sam Kennedy says reports on last night's ejections didn't specifically reference racial taunting. But, he says, that is not the point.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

SAM KENNEDY: We take Adam Jones at his word. And that is unacceptable for what happened. And we're going to take steps to address it.

SPRINGER: But those steps remain uncertain. Jones is not the first black professional athlete to experience racism in Boston. Even professional athletes who have called Boston home have dealt with racism during their careers. And despite efforts to change that reputation, it persists. Here's Governor Charlie Baker.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

CHARLIE BAKER: Oh, I don't think it reflects Massachusetts. I mean I've lived here my whole life, and I take tremendous pride in the fact that Massachusetts is a state that - and a community that welcomes diversity.

SPRINGER: But Boston NAACP President Tanisha Sullivan says what Jones experienced was a reflection of the worst of the city of Boston.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

TANISHA SULLIVAN: It illuminates the subculture that exists here in and around the city of Boston where someone would believe that they could go to Fenway Park in a crowded stadium and use this racially charged language and not be held accountable.

SPRINGER: Adam Jones and the Orioles will be back playing the Red Sox at Fenway Park tonight. For NPR, I'm Shira Springer in Boston.

Copyright © 2017 NPR. All rights reserved.



 
Today, Homeland Security joins investigators, in Massachusetts...

I am very sorry, if your family or friends were victims, of this tragedy.

:rose:
 
Gray day,today
Fog as thick as pea soup, in areas

Avoid the Sumner Tunnel

Expect Delays This Weekend as Sumner Tunnel Toll Demolition in East Boston Begins

Last toll at Summer Tunnel to be removed

During the overnight closures of the Sumner Tunnel beginning Friday evening, all traffic will be detoured through the Ted Williams Tunnel, and the full closure hours will be as follows:

check at the link


http://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...molition-in-East-Boston-Begins-421446423.html

Additionally, on Saturday, May 6, from 9 a.m. through 9 p.m., demolition-related work will necessitate the closure of the Porter Street entrance to the Sumner Tunnel.
 
The sun smiles down on JFK, and Former President Obama

John F. Kennedy Library Foundation’s May dinner gala. The foundation is expected to live stream Obama’s acceptance speech at 8:30 p.m. on its website.

Supporters plan to rally at the library grounds entrance on Morrissey and Bianculli boulevards, where Obama’s motorcade is expected to pass by, from 4:30 p.m. to 6: 30 p.m.

The rally, called a “Standing Ovation for Barack Obama,” is sponsored by the Cambridge Area Stronger Together community organization and the Political Organization for Women’s Empowerment and Rights, according to Johanna Schulman, a member of Cambridge Area Stronger Together.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...urage-award/wMg7JPK8uqboArCoyjlHZI/story.html


Could have had JFK, for a hundred years...

https://www.jfklibrary.org

Many people, arriving for the ceremony...
 
Recently, this strange orb roams the sky, and emits a powerful light in the morning. Everything from the plant kingdom seems to enjoy it. It is messing with my internal biological clock, my sleep patterns, and my energy levels.

I can very well imagine, that it will feel similar to someone holding an enormous magnifying glass over me, this summer. That might be the reason some ants carry long stemmed leaves. I will take the hint from the ants.

Somewhere, a May/December romance has started. I suppose they are still wearing their winter coats, as the breeze is still chilly.
 
Bright sun, after a week of cloudy days ?

Do not forget your sunglasses. A brimmed hat helps, but not everywhere.


October 5, 2014

"Poe Returning to Boston" was unveiled at Edgar Allan Poe Square: the corner of Boylston Street and Charles Street South in Boston

Artist Stefanie Rocknak designed the life-sized statue of the writer. Its funding and installation were overseen by the Edgar Allan Poe Foundation of Boston in honor of the writer's birth in this city on January 19, 1809.


http://www.bostonpoe.org

In sculptor Stefanie Rocknak's design, Edgar Allan Poe stands life-sized, frozen in mid-stride, near the corners of the Public Gardens and the Boston Common; the area now known as 'Poe Square.' A huge raven, representing Poe's larger-than-life legacy, flies by his side, its wings spread wide and its beak opening as though it is about to let out a loud 'caw.' In Poe's right hand is a suitcase, filled with his creative work; bronze pages full of writing spill onto the pavement behind him, leaving a trail of macabre poems and short stories for which he is known and loved the world over. On top of a particularly large pile of papers is a human heart- a nod to arguably his most famous work, "The Telltale Heart." Poe seems in the midst of walking away from the former train station and towards his birthplace, which historians believe is within several blocks of Poe Square, in the midst of Boston's Literary Cultural District.


http://www.publicartboston.com/content/poe-returning-boston-1
 
try, do you desire a bit of schadenfreude with your indulgent snack ?

The EZ Pass toll road billing system has been giving the people of MA, headaches, since it began.

Many out- of- state visitors never get a bill from the toll system. Some MA citizens with Easy Pass get charged for other people's toll road use. If you do not buy a transponder, the system assigns charges to your account, that do not correspond with your vehicle or license plate.

Why ?

The same license plate numbers are used for various classifications of vehicles, and vehicle use. Throw in out- of- state plates, and there are more problems.
 
try, do you desire a bit of schadenfreude with your indulgent snack ?

The EZ Pass toll road billing system has been giving the people of MA, headaches, since it began.

Many out- of- state visitors never get a bill from the toll system. Some MA citizens with Easy Pass get charged for other people's toll road use. If you do not buy a transponder, the system assigns charges to your account, that do not correspond with your vehicle or license plate.

Why ?

The same license plate numbers are used for various classifications of vehicles, and vehicle use. Throw in out- of- state plates, and there are more problems.


A lot of these goddamned "tech" salespeople make all kinds of promises and sell all kinds of crap that ends up causing more problems than existed before they promised to fix everything.

Many of them are simply snake-oil salesmen.


The Law of Unintended Consequences in combination with Murphy should always be assumed to operate.


 
*nauseated*

Massachusetts and Trump's Imaginary Budget

The first to suffer will be the developing fetuses, and their mothers. The next to suffer will be infants and toddlers.

Finally, the children in Boston's hospitals, will suffer.

Welcome to Trump's trickle up.

Much of the funding provided by NIH, and other arms of medical research will be cut. They will not be able to fund studies, or give assistance.

Paul Ryan goaded Trump, and these are the results.

http://news.wgbh.org/2017/05/23/news/how-trumps-taxpayer-first-budget-could-affect-massachusetts

Conservative Republicans are cheering a budget that is one gigantic Trump tweet. Reality has nothing to do with what functions as Trump's imagination.

Will we be hearing these words from Trump ? "So many babies, children and mothers died. Who knew ?"

May 22, 2017

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...5-22/texas-to-study-record-maternal-mortality

"Texas — where the rate of maternal mortality has spiked in recent year."

"A study last year found that 600-plus Texas women died between 2010 and 2014 either while pregnant or within six weeks after giving birth."
 
Back
Top