Quebec on the move

EternalFantasies

EqualOportunity"Offender"
Joined
Feb 25, 2017
Posts
4,663
Quebec passes bill banning niqab, burka while receiving public services

The controversial law is the Liberal government’s answer to a decade-long debate over the accommodation of religious minorities in the province

quebec.jpg

Quebec women attend a protest in 2010. Allen McInnis/The Gazette


MONTREAL – Niqab-wearing Quebec women who want to ride the bus, visit the library, go for a medical check-up or meet with their child’s teacher are now legally required to uncover their faces while receiving provincial and municipal government services.

Quebec’s National Assembly adopted Bill 62 Wednesday morning, a controversial law that is the Liberal government’s answer to a decade-long debate over the accommodation of religious minorities in the province.

The bill passed despite opposition from the Parti Québécois and Coalition Avenir Québec, which argued the legislation does not go far enough in restricting the wearing of conspicuous religious symbols.

Justice Minister Stéphanie Vallée has maintained that the bill’s requirement that government services be provided and received with the face uncovered is not aimed at any religious group.
http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/quebec-passes-bill-62
================================================


That last line is kinda hilarious.

Yes, yes, it must be aimed at Ninjas.
 
Nope. Being in Quebec, I cannot say that the majority agtrees with this. It is against freedom.
 
Indeed.

Which, of course, doesn't mean they got brains... they just got a different mix of reasons.
 
Pretty soon, we'll all wear digital cammo to evade the ubiquitous surveillance. But unless we've dug-em out with blades, our implanted chips will locate us. Privacy? Ha. Anyway, hijabs and dominoes and other such masks will soon be irrelevant. We can never hide.
 
Pretty soon, we'll all wear digital cammo to evade the ubiquitous surveillance. But unless we've dug-em out with blades, our implanted chips will locate us. Privacy? Ha. Anyway, hijabs and dominoes and other such masks will soon be irrelevant. We can never hide.

Why would you need an implanted chip? Facial recognition software is already here and operational in public spaces.
 
Why would you need an implanted chip? Facial recognition software is already here and operational in public spaces.
I mentioned digital cammo, recognition-avoidance makeup. We can also expect tiny hologram projectors that mask visible features. Expect an arms race of measures and counter-measures.

SF master John Varley wrote of ubiquitous devices taking minute skin samples to record the DNA of all who pass. Vernor Vinge wrote of clouds of intelligent dust, tiny sensors floating around us, drifting into our clothes and hair, that 'talk' to each other, their controller, and all your personal electronics. Surveillance is inexorable. Privacy is extinct.
 
These morons will protest anything.

Pass a law to force them to eat at least one poutine a day; they'll protest to ban the poutine.
 
Back
Top