What's cookin', good lookin'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I actually know what you are talking about now! :D
I went on a mushroom forage and found 10 different species, THREE of which I could positively identify. I was pretty happy with that! :)

Naturally, one was poisonous, one was inedible, and the oyster mushrooms were not enough to harvest and use. The other seven I wasn't quite sure, or had no idea at all. I'm pretty happy with that result for a first foray, though!

That's an awesome beginning! :)

Did you go with someone or on your own?

It's been a very crappy mushroom year, and now the temperature has fallen below zero (Celsius) at nights, which means that most mushrooms won't survive anymore. I'm rooting for yellowfoots. I'm starting to panic, because I noticed I only have one 1.5 liter jar of them left (dried) and one 0.5 liter jar of dried trumpets of the dead. Some saffron milk caps and sheep polypores in the freezer, but that's not enough for the entire year.
 
That's an awesome beginning! :)

Did you go with someone or on your own?

It's been a very crappy mushroom year, and now the temperature has fallen below zero (Celsius) at nights, which means that most mushrooms won't survive anymore. I'm rooting for yellowfoots. I'm starting to panic, because I noticed I only have one 1.5 liter jar of them left (dried) and one 0.5 liter jar of dried trumpets of the dead. Some saffron milk caps and sheep polypores in the freezer, but that's not enough for the entire year.

I so wish you could post pix of these!
 
I so wish you could post pix of these!

They're not really jars, more like tins. I just didn't remember the word tin when I posted. So you can't see the mushrooms inside them, but I can take you a pic of the tins if you want. :)

Or would you rather want to see some of the dried mushrooms? They don't look very interesting either, just dark shrivels. :D
 
They're not really jars, more like tins. I just didn't remember the word tin when I posted. So you can't see the mushrooms inside them, but I can take you a pic of the tins if you want. :)

Or would you rather want to see some of the dried mushrooms? They don't look very interesting either, just dark shrivels. :D

I'm curious about their natural presentation.

I have a large container of dried shrooms. It's kind of sexy-looking. Which reminds me of a recipe I want to try.

Corzetti with Dried Mushroom Ragout

SERVES 6-8
Ingredients
4 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 lb. corzetti or orecchiette pasta
3⁄4*cup olive oil
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
8 oz. cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
8 oz. shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 cups veal stock
1⁄2*cup grated parmesan
1⁄4*cup minced parsley

Instructions
Place porcinis in a bowl and cover with 2 cups boiling water; let sit until softened, about 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer porcinis to a cutting board and roughly chop; reserve*1⁄2*cup soaking liquid.
Bring a 6-qt. saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente, about 11 minutes. Drain, reserving*1⁄2*cup pasta water; toss pasta with*1⁄4cup oil and set aside.

Wipe pan dry and add remaining oil and the garlic; heat over medium-high. Cook until garlic is soft, 1–2 minutes. Add cremini and shiitake mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 7–9 minutes. Add reserved porcinis and their soaking liquid, the stock, salt, and pepper; simmer until sauce is slightly reduced, 5–7 minutes. Stir in reserved pasta and pasta water, plus half the parmesan and 3 tbsp. of the parsley. Garnish with remaining parmesan and parsley.
 
Here are the mushrooms.

On the top are trumpets of the dead and yellowfoot. The bottom two are orange birch boletes and porcini.

The trumpets I have dried whole, the yellowfoots I've halved and the bottom boletes and porcini have been slivered. The orange birch boletes and the other similar boletes with the black spots on the stem turn black when you dry them or cook them. Their soaking liquid turns very dark, too.

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
I dip my artichokes in mayo with balsamic vinegar blended in. I'm not necessarily a mayo fan, but I do like that.

I have never had Jerusalem artichokes! I remain curious.
The first time I stumbled upon them they were labeled as such but I had no idea what they were. I had to google. They are just the tubers from the Sunflower plant. Steamed, they do taste like artichoke hearts.

I like the idea of balsamic with mayo. I'll try that.
 
Just got back from my hols and I appear to have missed the foraging season. Not so much as a tender nettle for soups left :(

Balsamic mayo...do you use vinegar or syrup? That just sounds...yum!
 
I went out with a friend on the mushroom forage. She has never been, doesn't know the first thing about them, but has a good eye and knew the woods we were in. Unfortunately I was in another state :( I probably won't find nearly as many in Texas.

The mayo balsamic mixture is just mayo with the balsamic vinegar of your liking added to taste. Start with about a teaspoon in a quarter of a cup of mayo and add more until you love it :)
 
We had fishcakes made with salmon, lime, ginger and curry, served on tost with chili mayonnaise and iceberg sallad with lemon dressing.
 
Cheese enchiladas in the works!
Refried beans and rice. Typical accompaniments :rolleyes: but yummy!
And they all keep well.
 
Roasted chicken stuffed with lemon, lime and ginger. Under the skin I rubbed butter that I'd mixed with a ton of chili, garlic, lemongrass, ginger and coriander and a splash of fish sauce.

It's in the oven now. I'm a bit on the fence about what to serve with it. Probably coconut&coriander rice if all else fails.
 
Hm. And you don't want us to come to visit?


I am thinking about making boston baked beans tomorrow...I never made them

Noooo, everybody's welcome to come. I just thought Antarctica would be cool, but if Iris says it's a hard limit, then I guess it's not an option. :D
 
Hm. And you don't want us to come to visit?


I am thinking about making boston baked beans tomorrow...I never made them

Have you ever had them? I really, really don't like them... Beans should not be sweet, period. I know England has their love affair with Heinz beans, so you might like them. But please don't bring them along on our outing :p

Seela - your chicken sounds luscious! I love roasting a chicken! One of my favourite things to cook... I finish it off with extra liquid and rice in the bottom of the pan (with the chicken on a rack) Rice made from chicken drippings is one of the most luxurious foods on earth in my opinion.
 
No, not had. :). I thought the sweetness sounded like it complimented the ham....oh dear. Oh well, we'll see, the beans are soaking already.

Regarding baked beans...if i hVe englush breakfast i do NOT want them on my plate. No, no, no. But i will have them for a quick, meal alone, with toadt or something.

You know those moments where some one who you thought was ok, reveals themselves as frightening ly odd? Well, its been lovely being your friend collar,....,here is a terrible truth....I have a really weird not quite phobia about red and yellow together. :eek:. This is very oddly applied. I xan happly eat red and yellow peppers, for example. But beans or tomato with egg:eek:. Similarly, i planted some apricot tulips and they grew as not apricot but a collection of reds and yellows. Each year i have to run out and pick As soon as they bud and put in different vases, or push onto other people. :eek:. Its very odd, in consistant. I get quite uncomfortable if people put ketchup on scrambled eggs, almost tearful, and heuvos rancheros? :eek: combined with very well concealed misophonia, that nobody in real life guesses i have but my very close family, tables can be stressful if i let them be ( i do not) Part of the reason i love candle light and always have music playing at meal times :eek:

Ketchup on eggs is a CRIME!!! :eek:
Hot sauce on a cheddar cheese quesadilla, on the other hand, sublime :p
 
We tried out a recipe for a casserole made with potatoes, onions, anchovies, cream topped with breadcrumbs and butter and served with boiled eggs, beer and Aalborg Jubilemum Akvavit.

It's the traditional Janssons Frestelse ( Jansson's Temptation aka Mrs Jansson) and it worked out well and needed shorter time in the oven than most recipes, so we're definitely making using it when we make the food for Christmas.
 
I LOVE jansons temptation! I have not had it with eggs. I will try it this way! How much beer roughly and aquavit?

Just a 33 cl can of not very strong beer (not my favourite but that was what we had in the fridge) and a classic Swedish snapsglas, 6 cl I think, of aqvavit.
No singing though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top