New Editor

Joined
Jul 20, 2014
Posts
1
I am thinking about becoming an editor, sounds like fun, know it will be a lot of work, but what sort of qualifications should I have to become an effective editor, thoughts, concerns, comments, anything at this point would help, thank you for reading and have a nice day.
 
I am thinking about becoming an editor, sounds like fun, know it will be a lot of work, but what sort of qualifications should I have to become an effective editor, thoughts, concerns, comments, anything at this point would help, thank you for reading and have a nice day.

Welcome. My first thoughts are:

1) Proper punctuation, exhibited in posts to show your attention to detail, is an important qualification.

2) To get a better feel of what the VE does, interact with others.

3) Read the stickies here in the EF and ask questions if anything is confusing.
 
Becoming an editor

Yeah, what Lynn said.

Plus -- get control of runaway commas!

;o)

Seriously, being a volunteer editor is fun. Of course a solid grounding in grammar, punctuation, diction, dialog, style, and what is called "Conventions of Written English" is vital, as well as a sense of story progression and character development. You have to learn to have a wide outlook, deal with different styles, deal with different egos, and learn to express yourself effectively in posts and emails as well as marginal comments while editing. It is easy to be misunderstood.

Then you have to remember that prayer is not allowed in the classroom ... :-D
 
Last edited:
Back
Top