2014 Survivor News & Views: Announcements and Discussions for the Survivorphile

He's right, Freddie. I wasn't the moderator then but you were constantly whining about almost everything and the "stories" you produced were almost all long, rambling screeds that never went anywhere and were cut up into a series of chapters barely long enough to meet Literotica's minimum. You were the reason for the rule about chapters not being allowed, which rule was softened a bit this year.

This year was, admittedly, not as bad. You still have some rambling stories, and they are cut up into chapters in a variety of categories, but they are much longer than they were your first year. I didn't do much reading of them, just enough to be sure they met the minimum length (they did) but I wouldn't have otherwise read them at all.

When I started, in 2001, the idea of the contest was to write the best stories we could, with quality being much more important than quantity. It was fun, partly because of the friendly competition but mostly to test our mettle and the money was strictly secondary. Until you came along, people wrote the best stories they could and had fun.

Go check Box. I dare you. Go and open one of my stories, any story. It doesn't matter which one you read.

All of my chapter stories are stand alone stories. All of my chapter stories are well over the minimum word count of 3,000 words. All of my chapter stories that you call rambling have a beginning, a middle, and an ending. All of my chapter stories have the continuation of a plot and are filled with narrative, character development, dialogue, tension, description, and imagery.

Go ahead, read any of my stories. What many of my fans write about my stories as typical of what I've written below.

"That was the best story I've ever read on the site."

"You are one of the very best writers on this site."

So, Box, who's whining now? Who has the sour grapes now? Who's dragging this site down by attacking the writer who won the contest fairly by writing the most stories in the most categories?

How dare you write anything to me when you've still yet to thank me for getting you published with my publisher?
 
When does it start?

Love is in the Air! Here Comes the Literotica Valentine's Day Story Contest!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* * * * *

-->If you'd like to participate in this contest, please read this entire post. If you don't read the whole thing, you may miss out on important rules, rendering your story ineligible for the contest!<--

You can begin submitting on (or a little before): January 20
The last day to submit is: February 5 at 11:59EST
Winners will be announced on: February 12

This contest will coexist with the usual monthly contest. Stories may only win one or the other, not both contests simultaneously. The prizes for the top 3 stories will be the same as those awarded in the monthly contests:

First Place: $150 Cash Prize
Second Place: $100 Cash Prize
Third Place: $75 Cash Prize
 
I think we can look at the number of posts in a row and see who's a whiny bitch.

And yes my stories aren't great, yes I often churn them out factory style for the contest, yes I don't update my score card until the last minute for the exact reason that someone was complaining about and bumping people down a rank (or more accurately not giving them inspiration to start writing since presumably a few of them could have written a story or two to keep up. I don't pretend like I'm not a douche in this game. I am. It's actually kind of annoying because I feel like a cartoon villain who's spending so much time cheating and still loses in the end.
 
Like the t.v. series, the Author Survivor version needs to pass on. I'd rather a totally different writing challenge contest to replace it, sponsored or not. As for a separate forum for such a contest without sponsored prizes, it's kind of what the AH and PoBo is for?
 
Agreed. A best author contest would be great.

The problem is that such a contest would be highly subjective. For instance, a lover of smut would think of me as one of the best authors on the site. A lover of carefully crafted literature, with plot, character development, etc. would disagree vehemently.

The monthly contests, which are apparently being revived, and the theme contests are something like that, but they only consider individual stories rather than a body of work, and they are often more popularity contests than anything else. :eek:
 
I have readers who love my work, but "best" would never work for me. I've never been "popular" in the way that many are. I'm extremely well-liked / read by my fans and readers, yet I've never won any of the monthly or themed contests and likely, never will.

I write for myself and for those who enjoy my work - the Survivor contest was a way to try a few new venues.

BrettJ in Canada
 
Freddie has made what I consider an excellent suggestion. If we have a Survivors' Contest this year, omit him. What do the rest of you think?
 
I am honestly dismayed at the fighting and bickering that has gone on in this thread. I make no secret that I've already spoken with Laurel and she chooses not to intervene.

You're all supposedly adults and you're fighting like a bunch of kids over who got the biggest share of cake. Here's my take on it - the person who worked hardest to win the contest deserves to win. I don't have to like him or her. A few years ago, a very dear friend of mine was the winner and I was quite happy for her. I still miss her presence on LIT.

I have many friends and acquaintances who work in animation and comics. Over the years, I've met some of my idols. A few of them were total a$$holes but their work is still terrific. They say you shouldn't meet your idols and that is often true. Overall, the creative people I've have met have been deserving of my admiration.

That's why I always take time to answer any mail I get. I may not be the huge success other LIT authors are, but the people who have supported me deserve a minute or two of my time.

If a person should choose to eliminate themselves from consideration for a contest, that's fine. However, that should be their choice. If the contest isn't open to everyone who is willing to enter, it isn't a fair contest. You're stacking the deck in favor of someone else.

Perhaps it is time to let this contest end and let everyone return to one simple thing - writing. I congratulate this year's winners (and I think I placed somewhere) and hope that you worked your hardest for whatever achievement you earned. That's where I stand.

BrettJ in Canada
 
I couldn't help but notice that there still isn't a link to claim prize so I went ahead and PM'd Laurel.

I told her that I unofficially won the contest. I gave her my name and address. She congratulated me and told me that I should have the check by the 18th and if I didn't have it by then, I should notify her.

Normally, in prior years, I've always had my check by the 8th to the 10th.

For those who have not yet claimed your prizes, I suggest you PM Laurel with your name and addresses.

 
The problem is that such a contest would be highly subjective. For instance, a lover of smut would think of me as one of the best authors on the site. A lover of carefully crafted literature, with plot, character development, etc. would disagree vehemently.

The monthly contests, which are apparently being revived, and the theme contests are something like that, but they only consider individual stories rather than a body of work, and they are often more popularity contests than anything else. :eek:

At some point you have to simply accept that popularity matters.
 
At some point you have to simply accept that popularity matters.

Sorry but I will never accept that popularity matters over good writing. I'd rather be true to myself and write the best story that I can than to write a crappy story just to win a prize while knowing that I had hundreds of votes in my back pocket ready to vote for whatever I wrote.

What good is that? How does that help a writer to grow? Sadly and unfortunately, some of the worst published writers are the most read writers. I'd rather be some obscure writer that no one notices and that no one sees coming until they open my page and start to read my stories.

As you may determine from my enemies, I'm here to write stories, not to make friends. Writing the best story that I can no matter my score is what motivates me.

If I'm like anyone, I'm the female version of William Forrester in the movie Finding Forrester.
 
Where can I find the dates for all the contests?

Where can I find the dates for all the contests?
 
Sorry but I will never accept that popularity matters over good writing. I'd rather be true to myself and write the best story that I can than to write a crappy story just to win a prize while knowing that I had hundreds of votes in my back pocket ready to vote for whatever I wrote.

What good is that? How does that help a writer to grow? Sadly and unfortunately, some of the worst published writers are the most read writers. I'd rather be some obscure writer that no one notices and that no one sees coming until they open my page and start to read my stories.

As you may determine from my enemies, I'm here to write stories, not to make friends. Writing the best story that I can no matter my score is what motivates me.

If I'm like anyone, I'm the female version of William Forrester in the movie Finding Forrester.

Yet you're crowing about your story scores and have to admit that with the volume you've got it has at least something to do with your popularity.

And of course it matters over good writing anyway, when all is said and done writing is an art no different, no more noble than movies or singing.
 
Okay, I have posted a rules and registration thread. It is not a sticky, but we will have to live with that lack, at least for now. Those who have signed up on this thread have been accepted and I will begin sending out PM's to them and posting their scorecard threads and starting a new scoreboard.

This is still going on the assumption enough people will sign up between now and the end of January.
 
Last edited:
I assume you meant PMs.

Are we having another Survivor Contest, sans prizes, this year?

BrettJ in Canada
 
I assume you meant PMs.

Are we having another Survivor Contest, sans prizes, this year?

BrettJ in Canada

I always have problems with typos between those two letters.

If we can get enough people signed up by the end of this month, there will be a contest.
 
You may consider me interested and signed up.

BrettJ in Canada
 
I want to compete again too. Last year was fun and the Amazon gift card, which I have not received yet, is a plus.
 
If I understand correctly, there will be no prizes this year SWEET. LIT is no longer sponsoring the contest, you enter solely for the bragging rights and creativity.

BrettJ in Canada
 
No prizes for 2015? Oh no, guess I'll have to reward myself each time I finish something. :D

Starbucks latte?
Book from Barnes and Noble?
Biscuit from Popeyes?
A slice and diet Pepsi from the pizzeria?

So many choices......
 
I hope they still hold the contest, that's all I am going to say.

BrettJ in Canada
 
Back
Top