EU Copyright

ishtat

Literotica Guru
The EU parliament passed a new Copyright law yesterday. I initially thought it might affect my business - probably won't. It appears to have been driven largely by the music industry seeking to further protect songwriters /originators rights - but given the law of unintended consequences it could spill over into 'unintended' areas.

Not worth worrying about too much at this stage because law passed by the elected Parliament is of no consequence until approved by their Bureaucrat masters in Brussels. Their process will take some time yet and they are certain to change it - because they can, if for no substantive reason.

But worth keeping an eye on.

What a terrible idea. One thing the world doesn't need is more copyright law. There's plenty of it already.

The proposals passed were watered down a fair amount since Doctorow's comments. The basic problem is that European politicians, just like the US.Senate committee which examined Twitter and Facebook last week know next to nothing about how the internet works. But it doesn't stop'em.

As they stand Youtube in particular will be seriously affected.

The proposals passed were watered down a fair amount since Doctorow's comments. The basic problem is that European politicians, just like the US.Senate committee which examined Twitter and Facebook last week know next to nothing about how the internet works. But it doesn't stop'em.

As they stand Youtube in particular will be seriously affected.

YT is bad enough already.

One of my friends, a singer, uploaded a video of herself singing Bach. She got a notice of copyright infringement requiring her either to take the video down, or to allow the "copyright owner" to monetise it with ads. It's a nice little sideline for organised crime, because individual creators don't have the resources to fight this sort of bullshit and YT has no interest in cleaning up their site.

I agree, it's a major problem that tech law is being made by people who are technologically illiterate and it's just getting worse every year. In a similar vein, I see Australia's embarked on another round of "what if we made encryption that good guys can break but bad guys can't?"

Some commentary on this by Cory Doctorow:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/...y-bad-news-everyone-even-especially-wikipedia
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/mbk47b/europe-copyright-rules-content-id

I'm not sure how/if the legislation affects a US-hosted site like Literotica, but it's certainly bad news for Europe.

Latest info HERE.

Not knowing which part of the planet you're in:-
We're trying, but not helped by internal division and ignorant interference.

I think it is good to get better control on the Internet, especially on large sites like YouTube and Facebook..

Those viruses need to be taken down. Purged from the web and society as a whole.

By the time it is passed in January, there might be second thoughts. There has been, and still is, a major European-wide campaign against the two offending articles.

Each EU country then has to translate the directive into their national legislation. The UK may have left the EU before then and even if not they will have more pressing legislative priorities, as will most other European countries.

Will that national legislation be identical across the EU? Of course not, which will make the whole thing a lawyers' delight.

From what I've read, LitE may be required to check each story submitted to see if it has been copyrighted. I can see Manu and Laurel blocking access from the EU rather than pay the expense of checking each story.

From what I've read, LitE may be required to check each story submitted to see if it has been copyrighted. I can see Manu and Laurel blocking access from the EU rather than pay the expense of checking each story.

Lit. is hosted in the United States. Unless the United States passed legislation empowering whatever the EU does, which is unlikely--it doesn't empower even what it itself signs on copyright--there should be no impact on Lit. operations, I wouldn't think.

Lit. is hosted in the United States. Unless the United States passed legislation empowering whatever the EU does, which is unlikely--it doesn't empower even what it itself signs on copyright--there should be no impact on Lit. operations, I wouldn't think.

I don't think it matters where the site is hosted. The Los Angeles Times has already blocked their website for EU users.

On another note, I'm surprised that Lit stills has personal ads. The US passed a law earlier this year making websites civilly and criminally liable if they post ads for illegal activities. The bill was passed to crack down on child sex trafficking, but the effects are widespread. Craigslist took down their personals section for this reason.

I don't think it matters where the site is hosted. The Los Angeles Times has already blocked their website for EU users.

On another note, I'm surprised that Lit stills has personal ads. The US passed a law earlier this year making websites civilly and criminally liable if they post ads for illegal activities. The bill was passed to crack down on child sex trafficking, but the effects are widespread. Craigslist took down their personals section for this reason.

Yes, it does matter. If the LA Times has blocked anything, it's by their own choice. The United States isn't helpful to current international laws, even ones it has signed, so don't count on it being supportive in practice to this one. The United States doesn't want it's courts flooded with copyright cases.

That raises a few interesting problems, doesn't it ?
I mean, what if the rest of the world cares nought for such activities [ post ads for illegal activities].

And I wonder how many readers of the LA Times there are in UK, or even the EU ?

And I wonder how many readers of the LA Times there are in UK, or even the EU ?

Probably not many, certainly not enough to have a financial impact. I became aware of it because a blog posted a link to an LA Times article and UK readers of the blog responded that they received a message like (and I'm paraphrasing here) "We're sorry but due to restrictions we cannot allow access to readers in your country. We hope in the future to be able comply with your country's regulations and requirements."

I took a look:

"Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism. "

Last edited:
Back