Mental Illness

Coloring is an activity NOT an accomplishment unless conformity is your goal.

When I specialized with children I usta re-frame their issues for better outcomes. That is, I went in schools, observed kids, and used their assets for other ends. A girl who socialized too much was put to work teaching others how to interact socially. Milton Erickson, MD, called the treatment, UTILIZATION. The example he cited involved a schizophrenic who believed he was JESUS. Erickson said to the man, I UNDERSTAND YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE AS A CARPENTER? And put the patient to work building cabinets. Its the same as training a grape vine to go one way versus another.

Maybe its looking at the spun silk after thinking about colouring, but aren't a lot of crafts and skills 'grown up' colouring? I'm thinking of needle crafts in particular, with desertslave's glorious silk in mind.

In fact, that also makes me wonder. We have a lot of time freed up by time saving devices and modern lifestyles yet still have 'no time' ( smaller households, fewer domestic staff, changed expectations in work /life balance). I wonder how often ladies in the past whose lives did not include chores and toil were embroidering with silk but and 'colouring' with their threads for clarity of mind.

Coloring is fun for me, and I seem to use it for working out color combinations before I set them in hot glass. Spinning is pure zen for me. It's rhythm and touch and watching for flaws and just goes on and on. The first time I sat at a wheel I knew I'd come 'home' in an intense way. Past life maybe?

I love coloring. I think we are all kids deep inside and a lot of the work we need to do is from there.

:rose:

I just bought my mom (who's 77 and battling cancer) a couple of grown-up coloring books. I've been coloring for 20+ years (on the other side of age 25) and she was as excited as a school girl when she saw the ones that are landscapes with positive, uplifting quotes on the opposite pages. (Also included is a fresh box of Crayola 64's) = FREE THERAPY! :D

I just bought my mom (who's 77 and battling cancer) a couple of grown-up coloring books. I've been coloring for 20+ years (on the other side of age 25) and she was as excited as a school girl when she saw the ones that are landscapes with positive, uplifting quotes on the opposite pages. (Also included is a fresh box of Crayola 64's) = FREE THERAPY! :D

http://www.muminthemadhouse.com/2015/04/19/free-colouring-pages-for-adults/

https://www.pinterest.com/ekoworld/adult-coloring-therapy-free-inexpensive-printables/

http://www.coloring-life.com/en/adult-coloring-pages.php

oh hell, just google 'adult coloring pages' and have fun! LOL

Maybe its looking at the spun silk after thinking about colouring, but aren't a lot of crafts and skills 'grown up' colouring? I'm thinking of needle crafts in particular, with desertslave's glorious silk in mind.

In fact, that also makes me wonder. We have a lot of time freed up by time saving devices and modern lifestyles yet still have 'no time' ( smaller households, fewer domestic staff, changed expectations in work /life balance). I wonder how often ladies in the past whose lives did not include chores and toil were embroidering with silk but and 'colouring' with their threads for clarity of mind.

People like to say they have no time, but then somehow make time for TV and stuff. We all make time for what is important to us.

Coloring is great.

People like to say they have no time, but then somehow make time for TV and stuff. We all make time for what is important to us.

Coloring is great.

A month+ ago I ended up inpatient psych (scroll back for the story, I think). But the now point is that coloring was one of the "social glue" things that was used to bring people together. Either just a simple request for a desired color, or commenting on what each of us was working on...it got us talking with each other. (Jigsaw puzzles were contagious, too.)

I discovered a new kind of coloring tool....Crayola Twistables! They're basically colored pencils without the wood...no sharpening needed.

Theyre all activities that change nothing, really.

You wanna change? Lose 50 pounds of fat ass. Learn a skill that pays money. Get rid of the drunk you live with.

Coloring is for the lame and lazy.

Love that!

And all these posts about coloring!

Someone in my family is having a breakdown.

They are alone in a different country and says they cannot come to us because our furniture ( the inherited stuff) upsets them too much and they cannot sleep. We even offered to have them share our bedroom for a while but the furniture 'fetishisisation' association with grief ( almost twenty year old grief and lived with the furniture on an off for some of those years...and was not taken from the person, we have offered choices back).

We don't know what to do. G cannot go to the person because of upcoming work commitments. I cannot go because of other practical but very real restrictions. They have therapist ( of what type I do not know) but it feel things have been getting considerably worse over the year with this person, not better. For example, the furniture thing is new, ( has spent a few months every year in one of several houses with some of this furniture in it now says can go no where with the furniture ) and cannot tell any one but G and I how bad things are again.

They are, and apparently therapist too, rejecting idea of medication.

Its very, very upsetting to g and I that we can't go and help, but also I feel frustrated:eek:wned even a bit cross:mad:: which I know is heinous, that I cannot shake the relative and get them to break the cycle somehow with medication or something. Last night on FaceTime during a conversation I found quite manipulatively pitiful I told them I thought it was hurtful and self absorbed in some of what was being said in the fog of fear and depression ( apart from this I was very supportive) and the tears dried up Immediately and it the was an angry snap at me because I was not being wholly supportive. though apologies were quickly forthcoming, I didn't want them.....I think the snap was very real and the anger is and those emotions are probably something that should be being considered.

I dislike not being able to do something. I for saw this when this person was a teenager and its one of those times you hate to be right. :(

I'm sorry Elle, and G :rose:

Sometimes things have to get worse before they get better. But sometimes people are simply on the wrong path. I know this isn't helpful in working out your situation, but I can certainly commiserate with this. Given that there is physical distance between you, that only serves to frustrate the situation even more, I know.

I hesitate to say this, but depending on how much support you have offered, for how long, and how much it has been avoided by the relative, sometimes you can only wait until the person is ready to accept your support and move their lives forward. Sometimes there is nothing you can do but let them know you are there for them, unless you think an intervention is called for?

Someone in my family is having a breakdown.

They are alone in a different country and says they cannot come to us because our furniture ( the inherited stuff) upsets them too much and they cannot sleep. We even offered to have them share our bedroom for a while but the furniture 'fetishisisation' association with grief ( almost twenty year old grief and lived with the furniture on an off for some of those years...and was not taken from the person, we have offered choices back).

We don't know what to do. G cannot go to the person because of upcoming work commitments. I cannot go because of other practical but very real restrictions. They have therapist ( of what type I do not know) but it feel things have been getting considerably worse over the year with this person, not better. For example, the furniture thing is new, ( has spent a few months every year in one of several houses with some of this furniture in it now says can go no where with the furniture ) and cannot tell any one but G and I how bad things are again.

They are, and apparently therapist too, rejecting idea of medication.

Its very, very upsetting to g and I that we can't go and help, but also I feel frustrated:eek:wned even a bit cross:mad:: which I know is heinous, that I cannot shake the relative and get them to break the cycle somehow with medication or something. Last night on FaceTime during a conversation I found quite manipulatively pitiful I told them I thought it was hurtful and self absorbed in some of what was being said in the fog of fear and depression ( apart from this I was very supportive) and the tears dried up Immediately and it the was an angry snap at me because I was not being wholly supportive. though apologies were quickly forthcoming, I didn't want them.....I think the snap was very real and the anger is and those emotions are probably something that should be being considered.

I dislike not being able to do something. I for saw this when this person was a teenager and its one of those times you hate to be right. :(

That is tough, and I'm sorry you have to deal with that. It's hard when people make choices that cause them and ourselves pain.

I see where you are coming from. Patterns set at young ages can be so critical. There is a girl in our family who was diagnosed with cancer when she was three. Her parents spoiled her blind, giving in to her every whim, because they didn't know if she would live or not. Luckily, she was pronounced cancer free at the age of 16 or so, but she has serious, serious behaviour and life satisfaction issues. This case is probably a bit extreme, but those younger years really can come back and bite you :( I get angry with her when I am around her as well. And I struggle with the years of "untended life garden" I see stretching in front of her, while all the time she wants everyone's pity. It's tough - I wish you strength through this crisis :rose:

So, on a recent thread about what a PYL needs from a pyl lack of mental illness was mentioned.

Mental illness is often mentioned to explain (erroneously, IMO,) why people are into fringe behavior such as BDSM.

How do you feel about mental illness which, btw, seems rampant in Western Society today?

As someone with an Adult ADHD with depression child it breaks my heart to see the struggles she goes through every day. She is quite the warrior fighting battles by the score. OTOH, while not comfortable, having a Dr. Who brain can be quite miraculous in some ways.

FF

i feel that lack of understanding leads to the label mental illness being given out too freely ,my doctor diagnosed me as mentally ill because i cross dress so i changed my doctor for a more enlightened one .

Mental illness is a racket for incompetent doctors and parasites who hate to work.

I would change doctors too. Good job!

i feel that lack of understanding leads to the label mental illness being given out too freely ,my doctor diagnosed me as mentally ill because i cross dress so i changed my doctor for a more enlightened one .

Some time earlier this evening I suddenly realized that I was feeling what loosely passes for 'normal' for me. No racing thoughts, no anxiety, no darkness. I was driving down the road, listening to good music, and watching a distant thunderstorm as I headed west. I'm not going to poke at it too much, I don't want to scare it away. But it sure is nice.

I wasn't aware of AD(H)D being on the autism spectrum, either. It doesn't quite fit the general group of symptoms. Nobody as ever confused me for an Asperger's-type, that's for sure. :rolleyes: If anything, I used to be the opposite...a little too outgoing, sensitive and seriously lacking an inner censor. (I used to call it "blurt syndrome.) I had to teach myself (with help from others) how to be thoughtful about what I wanted to say and how to say it. Sometimes it's mentally tiring, so I just hush up and stay on the sidelines. Or bring something along to hold my attention.

There are two polar opposite ends of the autism spectrum. Some have great difficulty receiving touch and making eye contact and some are the exact opposite and crave touch and hugs and have great difficulty maintaining appropriate physical boundaries.

One of the reasons that there seems to be so many autistics in modern times is simply because the umbrella that that term encompasses is so wide now. It is getting to be where it is hard to discern what that label means at all. Not that it is wrong that all are related conditions, it just means that that label without context now tells you very little about what to expect and how to help.

Last edited:
Some time earlier this evening I suddenly realized that I was feeling what loosely passes for 'normal' for me. No racing thoughts, no anxiety, no darkness. I was driving down the road, listening to good music, and watching a distant thunderstorm as I headed west. I'm not going to poke at it too much, I don't want to scare it away. But it sure is nice.

It's wonderful, isn't it? :heart:

Yay!

*HUGS*

Back