Closed for sombrablanca

Ohia_Lehua

Really Really Experienced
Joined
Aug 15, 2012
Posts
412
The Kingdom of Boireann Mhothair. Home to the royal family; King Hansraj and Queen Titania. The King and Queen fearful of having children and making then a target to this on going war but unwilling to let their kingdom fall chanced the birth of one child, Aurai. Born with a flawless diamond in a cut that was never seen before and paired in an equally unusual color. She is their pride and joy and also their greatest worry.

As the years passed and the countless number of attacks on Aurai's life grew they were tore with emotions when she started displaying signs that she had bonded with a dinosaur. When it was discovered that it was the liaoningopterus the King and Queen were distressed. It was a large creature with a nasty attitude and teeth to match and when the royal historian reported that this was the first bonding with the liaoningopterus ever known the Queen cried herself to sleep holding her child. Aurai was only seven and the liaoningopterus was beyond her in both size and power. And while it was true that the King himself was bonded to the largest of the fliers, the hatzegopteryx, it did little to clam the royal parents.

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The liaoningopterus which Aurai named Njord was a furious protector and gentle companion. He never let her our of his sight and kept those who were a danger far from her.

At the age of sixteen Aurai took the test to become a Wing Commander, against the wishes of the Queen, as passed. When the Queen found out and confronted her about it Aurai told her Mother that she could not call herself the Protector of the People if she was not willing to risk her life as they do everyday for her's. Unable to argue that point her Mother gave in.

Aurai's favorite time of her busy day is when she is in the sky with Njord. Even when she is on a watch as North Wind's Wing she is at peace and happy because even though she is the Princess while she is flying she is Aurai, just Aurai. And today was no different as she suited up for her wing's guard. She had just finished lacing up her flight suit and about to put on her armor when the commander of the East Wind came to give her the report from his watch.

"There has been a lot of activity in the treeline above the western most farmlands. Nothing that looks serious, just a group of unbonded carnivores lurking. We chased them back but I have a feeling that they will be back."

"This coming winter most be a hard one for them to start hunting so early. Last week we caught a five strong of wilds stalking a single female monoclonius who was in perfect health."

"Even with one horn she would still be a match for a group of five. Strange. Still I think you are right in there being a hard winter coming. Just be careful out there Aurai Commander."

"I will, thank you Vaako Commander." They clasped forearms and touched brows, a salute of respect before Vaako left. Aurai finished buckling her armor and gathered her wing of twelve members and shared with them what she had learned from Vaako.

"And like always, never fly alone and keep your mind free from distraction." She finished walking out to the edge of the keep and touched the gem at her breast bone, the thing that linked her and Njord together and called for him.

Because Aurai was always in his sight Njord was there quickly and after waiting for the rest of the wing's partners to arrive they took off to patrol and keep the Kingdom safe.
 
Last edited:
Sapphire was found to be the mineral Roarke was born with, its rough, oval, almost tear drop shape imbedded in his forehead, between his eyes. The surface resembles the surface of the lakes surround his clan's fortress in the Western Highlands, near the base of a very large mountain range on a typical windy day. Unlike many, Roarke chose to leave his gem unfaceted even when he came of age, and the finest gemcallers were brought to shape it. He felt it too perfectly suited his nature, and the nature of his people and homeland. Similarly odd was his bonding with Sealg, a Utahraptor born on the same moonless night, born with the same gemstone, though on the back of his large head. Since they were young, the two have been bonded, and gone everywhere together.

Unlike most of the clan, who usually find and bond their dinosaurs during late adolescence when both partners are more formed, their personalities more set, Sealg had made his attachment known when the young princeling finally had the words to ask to see the feathered dinosaurs. Roarke had kept feeling phantom things like hunger, tiredness, satedness, hints of growing pain as a child that were he older he'd know were not his, but at the time melded with his own thoughts and feelings nearly seamlessly. His parents didn't know why he wanted to go there so badly, but they indulged him.

His eyes lit up as the raptor, already half again as long as Roarke was tall at four years old, ran to him. His guards start to react to the potential threat. At this age, the predatory dinos sometimes have impulse control issues, dominance fights, but the young prince promptly wraps his arms around the reptiles throat, exclaiming "Sealg!", a word meaning Hawk, that he'd only heard but twice... but knew was his new best friends name as soon as they got close. The fledgeling raptor gave a trilling call of pleasure from the cavities on his muzzle the raptor packs use to communicate.

Eighteen years later the raptor is like his shadow unless he's in a place too confined for Sealg, but that is rare. The young Prince's quarters are just above his friends. The 5 foot 8 man is lithe, wiry, a bit small for his kind, much like Sealg. Both are dark of feature, Sealg a mottled green and brown, perfect for blending into their forested mountain homeland. Unlike most Dromaeosaurids, his rather rare genetic strain has far less defined feathering, mostly seen at arm joints, crest, and tail, and is a bit smaller than his brethren at 14 feet long, and standing just a few inches above Roarke's head.

The two wait silently, scanning the town that built up near one of the Mhothair depots in front of them. He and his troops are deep inside enemy territory to raid this supply depot, destroying anything that can not be taken quickly and easily, including the payroll for several divisions that has just been delivered the day before. They know it will be a major morale setback, as well as making it much harder for the cursed foes of his clan to continue their push against his kin. It is not too strongly fortified as far from the front as it is, but it still is a supply depot. A squad should have already infiltrated the place by this point he thinks quietly. The sun is just beginning to set, the time when guards who've seen no enemy within over two hundred miles of rough terrain are thinking more about warm food, drink, and women, when his people's dinosaurs, and their riders' vision is at its sharpest.

He sees the signal they've been waiting for from the gate tower, two quick flashes of a mirror, followed by a pause, then a third. The enemy will not be slamming the portcullis closed. His men can keep control of it til the rest of his force can get there. His right hand chops downward as his left finds Sealg's battle harness and jumps up onto his back even as he lopes forward, building into a full sprint for the wall a half mile from the forest edge. The guards at the wall react to the charge, but it is too late. Arrows fly from their own gatehouse even as they sound the alarm. The arrows in their throats silence the guards as their eyes show a still open barrier, and a bloodthirsty warband thundering towards them.

This buys Roarke's men another thirty seconds or so befor a wall guard sees the danger coming, and the fact theres something wrong at the gates. She grabs her horn, trumpeting the alarm, but it is far too late. Sealg leaps as he passes through the gate, his nine inch long, sharpened, raised claws come slashing back down through the first guard to respond's leather chestplate, and the flesh and bones beneath, eviscerating him without Sealg slowing.
 
Aurai flew with Mae at her left and they were returning to the keep after an uneventful watch. It was true that the wild group came back but they were easy to scare off and scatter into the trees. They were young and had it been earlier in the season when babies were more vulnerable the Wing would have taken the younglings down but the people of Boireann Mhothair didn't believe in unjustified killings. The meat eaters going after what they can to survive was no reason to kill. For now they were just lingering on the farm's edges and tank dinos were already sent there for further protection. After a while the unbound meat eaters would find out that this was not a good place to hunt a move on.

After chasing the troublesome group off the Wing split into pairs or small groups to cover more ground.

The wing of Mae's flier dipped and Aurai looked over at her knowing that she had signed her for a reason. With Aurai's senses linked with Njord's she could easily see the hand signs that Mae was making. She nodded in agreement, there was a sharp change in the air, a sure sign of rain to come. Aurai signed back and together in a practiced maneuver they tilted and sharpened the angle they were flying and dove towards the ground.

A few weeks ago there was a bad rain and it had flooded some of the farms and they wanted to check the towns they flew over to make sure it wouldn't happen again.

Off in the distance on the farthest reaches of Aurai's hearing a horn blared. It was taken up again and again and there, over some distance the watch towers blazed with a magic flame of pure red. Danger. Njord's cried filled the sky and he flapped his powerful wings racing towards the light that was catching like wildfire by the other watch towers but in a different light, a different meaning.

Aurai and Mae were on the outskirts of the city when she spied the rest of her Wing already on attack and defense against the land fighters. She knew that soon the other seven Wings would be here but that did little right now for the people of his city. There at the city's gate a squad of ceratopsidaes charge with heads down, some with riders wielding weapons others riderless but still as dangerous. Like all of Boireann Mhothair we are skilled defense fighters and while the attackers may have had the advantage of surprise everyone was fighting back.

With bow and arrow Aurai strikes down her enemies while Njord dives and attack with his mouth open and teeth. It wasn't hard for her and her Wing to see in the fallen sun light because of the air of their fliers but Aurai knew it wasn't the same for the ground units.

Behind her the cry of a very familiar anhanguera alerts her that Vaako Commander had arrived but knowing him and the fact that it was Aurai out here he would more then likely be alone as none in his Wing would be able to keep up with the quickest flier in all of Mhothair. Aurai turned to look as Njord retreated back into the sky and saw she was correct. He was flying straight to her, spears cutting thru the air at the enemy party.

Together they drive back at a raptor Aurai piercing the rider in the soft armored underarm and Vaako crippling the rider's dino with a spear thru it's neck.
 
Roarke curses. This patrol shouldn't have been here. The charging Anchiceratops and Arrhinoceratops aren't a huge issue. They were planned for. They're so slow. This is the time they're normally all eating, so it takes them too long to respond.The raiding party has already succeeded in its main objective, destroying the warehouses as they passed, flame callers setting the thatched and log roofs alight as they go, occasionally spraying fire across the enemy when they get too close, but the fighting is mostly up to the rest.

Those damned flyers will be an issue though. From the angle they're coming in they still have a bit of light. He calls forth his magic, causing ice to condense around the wings of one enemy after another, crippling their ability to fly, and dooming them to plummet unchecked into the ground. He thanks the gods upon realizing they aren't facing a full Wing all at once. They begin to converge in twos and threes until realizing this raiding party has very sharp teeth indeed, several falling as they realize a full corps is returning a lot of offensive magic.

The dozen mages left in the woods have nearly completed the spell that was to cover their escape. To keep tall plumes of smoke giving away what has happened dozens of miles away, the clever bastard has decided to use the recent weather to his advantage. The clouds roil, a storm beginning to once again brew over head. The clouds darken, each moment bringing stronger winds, now the beginnings of rain, hail, and lightning. He thanjks the stars he thought to use his clans water magics to cover his trail as they escaped, miring their forces in mud. It will greatly help against this unexpected threat.

Lochsmen fall to more arrows than he'd have liked. His men aren't geared for the sort of fight this has become. They continue their fighting retreat, those that can providing antiair defense and counter fire. As one Pterosaur and it's rider fly too low in order to get the finishing blow on a wounded Achillosaur, Sealg leaps into the air again, his sickle like claws tearing through feather, muscle and bone, his weight carrying the female and her rider to the ground. Sealg's teeth rip out the Haopterus's throat while one of the many throwing knives Roarke always carries finds it's way into the woman's eye socket. He narrowly avoids an arrow himself. He moves as soon as his friend's keen hearing picks up the sound, his body twisting so the fletching of the arrow brushes his side instead of the armor piercing tip finding his back. The twist makes him see something he really wishe he hadn't. Njord is framed perfectly, the light behind him putting Liaoningopterix and heir in stark relief. If there was any doubt, the gleam off her gem confirms it. If her Wing is in this fight, others will converge. He tries to remember the strengths of the various Wings, and coverage areas. Theoretically three might be close enough to join in, but it's unlikely. This area is too far from the front. No Wing was to be near this area. He signals to his lieutenants. Ice flechettes pour into the sky like a hundred razor blades.

He doesn't stick around to fight any longer. Too much time is elapsing, and the cover of the thick woods is just ahead. He knows they must disappear into the dense cover or they will just be followed from above. If the treasured daughter of Boirean Mhothair might be in trouble, no unit will be kept back. He grins ferally hearing the first crack of thunder moments after hearing a shrill cry. It sounds as though the first windrider has fallen to the fast brewing storm. His arm snaps out, cleaving the arrow in half that would've taken the life of a man loaded down with several bags of god and silver as the last of his troops enter the treeline, his honorguard about him.
 
Aurai can feel the threads of magic being pulled on the weather, no not the weather just water. Calming her mind Aurai breathes deep and closes her mind seeing her her head a network of trails and patterns. It was enough enough to calm a storm but she knew with the water mages she couldn't completely stop the rains but she could weaken it. Aurai can feel the force of nature fight against her but with her magic the winds die down, the clouds roll and after a deafening clap of thunder the storm breaks leaving only rain in a rapid fall of fat drops. Pressure builds in Aurai's head but she manages to direct the heavier clouds over the flames eating at the depot.

Njord screams and Aurai opens her eyes in time to watch Mae fall. It breaks her hold on the storm and a flash of light fills the sky as the couple dive towards the raptor. Aurai quickly nocks an arrow and set it at the man who killed her left but at the last moment the rider turns and the arrow just grazes against it's target. To her the man in the raptor looks like any other and she nocks another arrow intending to take this man down but ice rain from the sky freezing the rain drops into sharp missiles that cut with a cold fury.

It's Aurai's turn to curse as Njord carries her to safety and away from her perfect shot. She urges Njord to go back and he reluctantly circles, going wide but by the time they passed over the same spot the man was gone. A scream tears from Aurai's throat and it's echoed by the storm's thunder and Njord's cry.

Fliers landed on the rooftops of buildings. People ran form well to fire dousing the flames with water and wetting the building next to them to stop the spread. Injured are grouping at the town's square and the dead at the church. Those what are still fit regroup on both land and air.

Vaako Commander's Wing arrives but it's took late to help. Vaako gives them a sign and together they fly off chasing the raptors over the cover of the thick woods. There is little that they can do while under the canopy of the trees but they make sure that the raiders don't circle back and attack again.

Njord flies low and slow and Aurai easily jumps from his back to the ground. The land it soaked already and she slides in mud loosing her footing and pulling the muscle in her calf. It hurts but the sight before her hurts her more. The bodies of her people laid dead before her and tears come to her eyes hidden by the rain. She hated this word and what it did to everyone and everything. Lives lost and taken, children parent less, homes destroyed, hope dashed for a peaceful new beginnings. After every battle no matter how big or small this feeling of unending death and hopelessness fills the young princess and at the first body she comes to she gives it a prayer of a better everlife.

"It shouldn't be like this." Aurai shakes her head and rubs her eyes as she unties the sensory link between her and Njord. "I'm tired of watching people die, of hoping to kill another before they kill me." Even with Njord perched on the roof top of a building near by she knows he can hear her as she vents. "Surely they must be as tired of fighting a war that was started hundred of years ago for reasons no one can remember." Aurai asks knowing no one has the answer.

Aurai walks farther from the town and through the gates. There are more dead bodies here and it sickens her. "I can not be the only one who wishes for an end to all this." She crouches at the side of one of the raiders, he was still alive but his breathing was thick and slow and blood oozed from his parted lips. "I don't know your name and you are not of my people but I pray you fins a happier Everlife where peace rules and there is no suffering." She heard a warning click from Njord but ignores it and sits at the man's side until his breaths stops and his eyes stare up blankly. "Be in peace." She cries getting to her feet not even caring that her flight suit is now covered in mud.

For the next few hours it is the same thing. More people dying, more dead bodies and the look on the people's face that this was just another battle that would happen again and again. And there was nothing that Aurai could say to make it better because they were right. The town would be rebuilt and life would continue but this would happen again, it was just a matter of time.

"Be in peace." Aurai whispered her voice like gravel the number of times she had said it.

"Aurai Commander we must return to the Keep. The Queen-"

"Is gray with worry no doubt." Aurai's voice was monotoned and lifeless. "How many did we lose."

"Five from the North Wing. Thirty-one from the settlement and we have lost the bonds for the other farms stored in the depot." Vaako reported his voice equally stoned.

"Thank you Vaako." She tried to smile for him but knew it was just as tired as her heart felt.

Aurai mounted Njord and took to the sky with her nearly half empty Wing and Vaako Commander's behind her's. Tomorrow was going to be a long day but first she was going to have to get thru tonight and all the things that needed to be done and the reports that would be blank waiting to be filled.
 
Roarke gives a loud whoop as a bit of tension drains from him, generating laughter from his men and women as they reach deep cover. Some are hurt, some have been lost, but they succeeded in their mission. Their losses were higher than hoped for. Out of their initial hundred, only eighty-three are returning. Two of those will never fight again. He regrets leaving anyone behind, but they all had mortal wounds. Were it not for the errant Wing none would have been left. Still, he muses, we have gained sustenance from that land this day, perhaps it is only fair they return something to the soil. He knows the families of those lost won't agree, but they realize it is the nature of the world. Everything in the world fights to survive. Predators eat prey. Within their own clans, every species has dominance fights. That is the natural order of the world, but they don't have to like it. This seems to be a fight to extinction and the two sides are very well matched.

They do not slow for hours. No sign of enemies appear. No one senses malice, or sees or hears pursuers and have not for some time. At first they did, but those signs of pursuit quickly fade. After making many miles they stop to tend wounds and rest. Roarke looks over Sealg's armor, seeing what repairs need to be made, as well as tending to the ache in his side he has had to ignore. With the benefits of his deep bond to Sealg come some detriments as well. He sees the thin track where a spear was able to penetrate the joints of the armor just above Sealg's left hip. He rummages in his saddlebags for one of the jars he always keeps there. He washes his battle grimed hands and the wound with alcohol before getting another jar, thread, and a needle. He knows that while only a flesh wound, it must throb for Sealg if he can feel it that strongly. He sews up the long shallow cut. He then slathers the ointment along the newly sealed wound so it does not get infected and heal wrong. They are on the move again three hours later, traveling quickly as possible, the stolen loot switched to pack mounts. They travel the next several days avoiding patrols they can and killing anyone they have to. Three more men, and six more of his people’s bondmates have died.

They stop only once they’ve reached the mountain fortress they call home. He surveys the vista with bittersweet thoughts running through his head. The mountains guarding the Lochs stand tall and imposing, their tops always covered in snow but they only fill him with feelings of safety and warmth. He scratches Sealg’s neck as they lope past several sentry points. He returns the greetings and cheers , some seeming to come from nowhere since the owners of the voices stay concealed in their positions. His eyes roam over the thick walls that guard the entrance of the pass, the red stone almost seeming aglow, infused with flames in the dying light of the day. They continue deeper into the valley to the highly fortified castle that is built half into the surrounding mountains.

He sees to Sealg first, returning his battle harness to it’s stand, makes sure he has food, his sand bed is warm enough and there is plenty of meat available. Sealg prefers to hunt but after a long march and battle the raptor will accept that which is offered. The most important thing to him done, Roarke takes care of his own appearance. He enters his suite, dropping clothing and gear as he moves, suddenly worn out as the adrenaline of constant wariness and watching wears off. His lithe form relaxes into the hot spring that burble in the natural cave formation that were the base of the castle.
 
Last edited:
The morning came to soon as the first light's rays cut thru the gap in Aurai's thick curtains. "Urg- Be gone with you sun!" She shouted throwing her covers over her head. Outside she could hear Njord preening himself and knew if she kept him waiting he would go from perched on her balcony overlooking the ocean to screeching at her as he poked his head in. The balcony didn't have doors just a archway large enough for him to walk in but the enclosed space made him nervous and he avoided going into the room as much as possible.

"Kyaw."

"Hush you."

"Sawg!!"

"Njord!!"

"SHHHECHH!"

"FINE!" Aurai returned screaming as loud as she could violently hurling a pillow at the head of her best friend. "You win. I'm up." The pillow missed and Njord snapped his beak in her direction. "I'm sorry." Aurai sighed rolling her shoulders with a cringe feeling the tightness in her back. "Last night-" Aurai shook her head wanting to forget last night. It wasn't that it was any worse then the other fights that she had been in, it was more the fact that she was getting tired of all the death. "Here." Getting up form the bed Aurai pulled back the curtains one side at the time. It always amazed her that no matter how much blood was spilled the day before or how ugly, the colors of the morning light was breathtaking and inspired hope.

"Have you eaten?" Aurai ran her hand over his chest and out to his powerful shoulder. At his joints she could feel the dense down feathers that grew on her body as well when they were linked. As her hand traveled out and away from the delicate parts small stiff feathers sprouted in tight packs. They had a slight oiled feel to them making them waterproof and air tight. In another world one might say that Njord had the feathers of a penguin but since there was no such creatures in this land there was no comparison made in Aurai's mind as she petted Njord in his favorite stops. "I can smell the fish on your breath." She smiled lightly pushing on Njord's bottom beak in hopes to close his mouth. "Are my parents up?" There was no issue of trust between the girl and flying reptile as she moved to stand under him and against his chest.

"Kyaw." Njord clicked his beak lifting his head to the sky and the floor above them. It was her parents flood and she knew by Njord's reaction to her question that they were up and knowing her Father had yet to sleep.

"And the day must begin." The young princess sighed jumping up in the railing and onto Njord's back. It was the one escape of her life and Aurai normally started her day with a solo flight over the ocean, high enough from the dangers of the sea, to clear her mind and prepare it for the things that might come with the day.

"Keyyah!" Njord's voice carried over the water as the pair took to the sky and echoed back to them as they passed the single keep built for the fliers of the Wings. Many of the flying reptiles turned to look as Njord circled the keep before heading out over the deep blue waters of the ocean and like always Aurai's mind drifted and dreamed up a fantasy where she could run away or one where there was no war and both her people and those of the Long Claws were at peace and safe.

"Tell me how to make it so Njord." Aurai whispered the rush of wind taking her words away as she said them.

------------------------------------------------

An hour later Aurai was dressed for court in a flowing gown and bare feet. Today the citizens of the attacked city would arrive at the castle and have a chance to voice their opinions and be a part in the rebuild discussions.

"Is there nothing we can do against them?" Cried a newly made widow. "I do not believe the more blood shed will being my Henry back but is there not another solution out there?"

The King and his Queen sat side by side on the multilevel dais with Aurai seated below them on the next level. Aurai sat there hands quite in her lap. There wasn't another solution and she knew her parents were trying to find a way to break it to the teary eyes woman.

"They are not people of reason." Queen Titania started in a strong yet saddened voice. "They will not hear our wishes for peace." She took a deep shuddering breath and Aurai felt her Mother's gaze burn like a fire on the back of her head.

The King finished what the Queen started. "Envoys sent by air are seen as threats and quickly shot down. Sent by land they are stalked and killed in the night. What letters that are send by animal carriers are never seen from again." The King sighed getting up from his seat. "I have nothing to tell you that will easy your pain at having lost a loved one. But I can promise this, I will do everything in my power to protect you. The stone built projects have already started in other parts of the kingdom converting easily burned wood thatched houses with mortar and bricks. My masons are on their way to your city. As are more soldiers and tank protectors." It was the best the King could offer and he knew it wasn't enough.

The Queen waited for the King to sit back down before she spoke again. "I will personally write out a letter to their rulers in hopes that we can start a treaty of peace between our two kingdoms." The Queen was looking at the widow with kind eyes and a gentle voice.

"What are our plans of attack?" Asked an older man with a gimp in his step.

"What would you have us do?" The King asked looking at the man.

"Gather all our forces and strike them at their heart." Shouted the man throwing his hand up in the air.

Aurai opened her mouth then to answer. "We have eight Wings of twelve riders to patrol the kingdom. A squad of six Fliers to every watch tower. A company of Long Necks, Horns and Thick Skulls for all our farms and trade routes." She calmly listed. "Aside from our Fliers none are hunters. We are slow growers and our litter number dwindle each year. The many who do hatch fall before their first year and few after that find their Human counterparts." These were all facts that most overlooked. "The Raptors, Sharp Tooths and Flesh Eaters can have dozen upon dozens in a single litter and because they hatch with teeth and claws they do not need the protection of their mothers for as long of a time if even at all." It was one of the reasons seeing unbonded juvenile packs were of no surprise. "While it might be true that we out number them human to human can you point out a man or woman able to match the speed, power or deadly force of a single velociraptor?" Aurai asked watching the wind of battle wrath die.

"What are you trying to say Princess?" Spat the man obviously annoyed that Aurai had shut him down so quickly.

"We play to our strengths. The heart of their kingdom is days away and most of it guarded with thick tree cover. To avoid the trees would take longer and be a trek impossible for those traveling on foot." Aurai felt sick knowing that she was killing this man's hope as easily and quickly as the raiders did his fellow city men. "We can see just as far as them if not farther and to attack us they must leave the cover of their trees and cross the wide open hills and flatland of our kingdom. It is then that we have the best chances of winning. With the size of our land dinos there is no element of surprise and we do not have the numbers for a frontal attack. I know it is not much but we can only bait them from their lands and attack then."

The older man's head fell in lost hope the fire burning in him extinguished.

"We are not without wins." Aurai assured the man. "We are clever and paired with our traps. ranged attacks and strong defenses we are a mighty foe and will not be easily conquered. We are of the seaward cliffs and it will take more then just a sharp claw and pointed teeth to make us fall." She raised her head and stood from the chair showing pride in where she came from. Above her Njord's impressive cry started the cried of all the Fliers in the area. "Do you not hear our call?" Aurai asked the man. "How can you not feel the blood rush and your heart soar at such a sound." She smiled seeing the light spark back in the man's eyes.
 
Roarke growls quietly, ferally, fury and pain lacing every guttural syllable. His hands dart out, impaling yet another shadowy enemy on his trusted short swords, Glacial Fury and Fire Strike, great heirlooms passed down through his family to the ones who are called by them. In the next second he is lunging backwards, barely avoiding raking talons, his blades reversing in his grip swiftly to stab up and behind his back into the midriff of yet another assailant. He hears Sealg’s cry of warning in both his head and aloud. Without thought he drops to the ground immediately. Their thoughts are as one in moments like this. Trust is implicit, and they even share each other’s senses, landing pommels down, using the momentum of his fall to kick the still twitching form of his last assailant off his foot and a half long swords. He moves just in time as a bastard sword cleaves where his chest would have been. Unfortunately for the last of his human companions, her reaction isn’t quick enough. The halves of her body crumple to the ground, apology in her eyes as her Prince continues to fight, his Bondmate at his back.

He is back up as quickly as he went down. His arms straighten explosively, propelling him up in time to shove Glacial Fury directly into the burly figures exposed throat. For good measure, the man’s neck freezes, shattering as Roarke’s Fury is drawn back and to the left to defend against yet another attacker, giving no more though to the murderer of his fallen kin. He continues to fight for what seems like hours, occasionally breaking out of what seem like endless packs of enemies. They all seem familiar yet surreal, like the sights and sounds around him. As they run, fight, attack and defend, the duo start to take more and more nicks, cuts, and bruises. Far better are they than the killing strokes dodged or parried but the long fight is taking its toll even on these two, who’s best memories are those of the training fields, the tourneys, the ways young warriors were tested and ranked. He has lost count of the enemies faced, vanquished. That does not matter to the fused beings fighting for survival. The most primal parts of Sealg’s brain are in overdrive, fueling the living death machine bent on survival. Their strengths and weaknesses are as one, almost as if it were one being experiencing two bodies, their forms flowing and blurring together in the gloom. They dance the Dance of Death together and with their foes, the clash and clang of blades, his and Sealg’s cries, the only sounds in the silent land.

He screams in anguish when he finally isn’t fast enough. He cannot stop the blade that stabs deeply into Sealg’s spine. First there is pain so excruciating it feels as though he must be being ripped in two... then there is an aching wound where the bundle of thoughts, emotion, sensation that are his brother, his best friend, his partner in crime should be. He loses his mind. He is the last. He knows not why his kin have been slaughtered. He knows not whom he fights. He merely battles, the glisten and glare of ice and lightning fire flare and fade. His full tumultuous potential is finally unleashed with the unbinding of his soul. He is the last and there is no reason to continue but to make them pay and remember O’Banyon for eons to come. As the damage to his body mounts, the final thrust starting to slide home into his heart…

Roarke wakes up. He is sweating, the bed covers tossed to the side. Sealg is already through the curling passage to Roarke’s bed, nudging him awake, sending soothing thoughts, calming reassurance flowing to the violently awakening young man. He nods his thanks, muscles trembling as he pads to the basin, washing his face and neck. He replies “Just a nightmare” to Sealg’s trill of worry. He looks out the Eastern windows where the dawn is just raised. He knows they are just nightmares but vague prescience is a family trait. Dreams are not always Dreams, but these…. He and those he holds most dear may be on a course of eventual destruction. He must ponder this. The dreams have haunted him for days. Always the same. He fights through the night as he watches foe after foe fall, but it never fast enough, good enough, or strong enough to save even one person. He has no idea who his enemies are, only that they have visited his nightmares since the day he fought with Her. She has haunted his waking thoughts. His lithely muscled body strides through his suite on feet that are elegantly agile, swift. His deeply tanned skin ripples over his form as he washes and refreshes himself.

Implication trees flit through his mind as he tries to work through the muddle in his head. The image won’t stop replaying itself though. Her hair aglow as if alight. Her features fierce and beautiful and deadly focus as a raptor pack on the Hunt. Now that he is not worrying about the lives of his people Roarke can’t stop going over the brief image of Aurai atop Njord, trying to take his life. Her poise was perfect, her bow held steady as Njord charged forward. He is surprised to note the detail of the memory. The muscles tensed to stay seated with only her legs, the formfitting gear that outlined her delicious curves. It was their first meeting ever, but when you head the intelligence division of a clan like Roarke’s, one knows the major players and has likenesses.

He exits the hot spring, still not exactly sure what to do. He fears he must consult with his father. He knows what his mother will say when she hears about the dreams. He wonders if the memory is part of it? He shakes his head, not wanting to think so. Half the clan Elders would have a fit. There had been too much war, too much hatred, and distrust over the years. Errors had been made early. Unknown zealots on both sides had wreaked havoc. After one hidden assassin had almost succeeded, intruders too close to the Lochs were killed with no warning. Offers of peace were assumed to be ambushes as had been the case in the past. His folk assumed the same would occur since the one time they had decided on peace, the messengers were never hear from again. The more he thinks, the more he sees connections he doesn’t know if he is ready to see. He was tought duty before all else though. In his position, he knows these things must be brought up to his father. Something is coming, something bad. Unless something changes… Something seems to be telling him all will be lost… and there might be a connection to the heir of Boireann Mhothair.

The sickle claw tattoo inked into his left forearm as a symbol of his becoming a soldier gleams in the light as he pulls on a tunic. A simple badge, it meant one had been where destruction had reigned. One had fought in defense of the realm as part of one of its Corps. The one that matches it on his right is far rarer to see. The deep, vibrant indigo of the tooth there is made from a very rare plant. Only one who has earned the rank of Corps Commander receives such. His breeches slide up well toned thighs and calves, over a proportionately thin midsection, his hips and ass as well defined as the rest of him. The term whipcord could have been made especially for him. His boots are on moments later. He bumps into Sealg, one arm wrapping around the Utahraptor’s neck. He whistles softly, a sound eerily similar to the trill that is Sealg’s chuckle. “I promise I am fine. I hope everything will be at least. Something is brewing…”

He motions then, springing into movement with cobralike speed. “I must talk to Father, though I know what he will say. He has been trying to get the Elders to stop this war for years, and he won’t stop pestering me about grandchildren!”
Four months later Sealg and Roarke are where he half hoped he would be and half didn’t want to be. After all, being a bachelor prince has its advantages. Others of his people have started to sense something brewing as well. The wild packs are restless. The sages’ Sight has begun to blur. Something major is coming, and that momentous decision is big enough nothing can be determined til it is resolved. By this point his father is certain of what it is. Hence his sanctioning the risk Roarke now takes. Roarke demands to meet her first. After the recent flareups he is certain no one would get through. The Elders point out all the flaws in trying to make peace that he knew they would. So only his father knows he is now in the heart of enemy territory alone, rubbing his hands together to keep them warm in the softly falling cool rain that is so characteristic of the regions winter weather.

Sealg shadows him when he can, always staying within strong tether link. He finds himself needing to meet her face to face, on his terms and assess the situation. Is peace possible? Could he stand what it would require of him? Could she? He had always known his was likely to be a marriage of estate if he ever did, but he had to admit he’d hoped for a Mating like his mother and father had, one based in deepest love. That is why he is deep within the enemy stronghold where it is said the Princess is said to take a ceremonial hunting retreat each year as part of family tradition. He knows it will be the only way to get close enough to feel her out, see if he can stand her, and if she will be willing to listen.
 
It had only been months but so much had changed. The outer cities and smaller towns were rebuilt, replacing wood with stones. Walls were put up and a dozen watch towers places around the treeline with more being built. A new hatchery had been build and it was slowly being filled. There was even a new flight path over the Raptor Mountains that coursed away from the thick trees but gave a sharp eye a misty view of a far away enemy land. It was more then they had done in the last two seasons but Aurai didn't feel it was good enough. Dreams plagued her sleep and while she could never remember them the feeling of unrest and unease followed her through her day like a shadow.

This morning was just like the rest and yet different at the same time. Like every morning before her Aurai woke with the sun and Njord say with the waking rays of the sun behind him wait for her. The sound of crashing waves sounded from below as they crested into the cliffs. It was a sound Aurai often took for granted but this morning the sound was clear and loud in her ear. "Njord..." Aurai lifted her hand and felt for the strings of her magic, for the feel of the weather. "Today I had a feeling of a sort that I can not identify." Pulling on this string and that Aurai called a thunder cloud to form in her hand. The miniature storm echoed a low rumble of thunder and a flash of light lit her hand before the cloud released it's rain and pooled in Aurai's hand. "My magic comes to me more easily." Aurai released the taut threads of magic and waved the storm away. "Mother says it's just another step in controlling myself." Aurai rambled as she got out of bed and dressed for her morning flight. "But Father thinks it's something else." Njord snapped his beak as if agreeing. It bothered Aurai that Njord seemed to agree with her Father but with not real answers coming her way Aurai cleared her mind and jumped on the back of her faithful partner and took off over the sea.

Vaako Commander and his Flier were waiting on the perch along side Aurai's bedroom balcony when she and Njord came back from their flight. Today marked the week long Bond Hunting that she and Njord would embark on. The Crag Palace was rightly named so because of the crags that the estate was built against. The villagers often called the place Devil's Tooth because of the razor edge that the crags had. To make matters worse the place was said to be haunted by the murdered royals of Boireann Mhothair. Aurai didn't know where the rumors of hunting started but she had an idea that it came from the palace only being used once a year and the howling winds that blew from the tops of the razors. It was the most dangerous place to fly and was an olden time place of proving. But with the death toll growing the royal family and Wing fliers could no long risk a single life to a proving and the tradition was stopped. Not the heir of Boireann Mhothair would spend a week there with only a single guard, in remembrance of all the lives lost to this place and the times of old.

This year like every years since Aurai had bonded with Njord, Vaako Commander would be her guard. It was an honor for him but also placed him in the forefront should Aurai not find love and agree to an arranged marriage. As it were Aurai and Vaako were childhood friends and already very close and when the time came for Aurai to pick a mate she had set her mind on picking Vaako.

"Are you ready?" Vaako easily leaps the distance between the perch and the balcony a small travel pack secured to his pack and out of the way of his weapons.

"Lets me change and we can leave."

Vaako nods and turns to the ocean watching the waves and giving Aurai privacy to change.

Aurai and Vaako fly hard, the Crag Palace is located on the northeast most tip of the Kingdom and is a tiring journey to make in a single day but tradition says it must. The two riders complement each other perfectly, while Vaako has the speed Aurai has the endurance this was a practiced flight that each knew intimately. And just as night blends shadows into night the double pair land. The wind cuts through Aurai's riding outfit and chills her to the bone. "I don't remember it being this cold last year." She shivers as Vaako lights the fire pit in the middle of the courtyard.

"It wasn't." Vaako shrugs seemingly unaffected by the cold as he feeds dried wood into the fire.

Knowing the routine Aurai lights a torch from the fire and opens the Crags, lighting torches and fires as Vaako checks the lookout where Muninn and Njord would roost. Within an hour the Crags is warmed lighted and the Aurai and Vaako share a meal out of the food that they brought. Tomorrow they would have to hunt and gather for their meals and on another day scale the mountains to do a faith drop.

"Good night Vaako." Aurai yawns after cleaning her plate. It was a long day and the next day would start early.

"Night Princess."
 
Roarke now knew why Sealg had chosen the Sordes for this form. It fit with his thoughts of those they went to meet, and it was small, agile, and about perfect for harrying in a castle’s walls. One of the ridable ones would not work. They could change their shapes, but that didn’t mean that they would have the skills that went with the muscles, or decades of muscle memory. Of course they had the basic skills, that had been assured when their duality was discovered. Their people were known as Shapechangers, but the skills varied. The smallness, fluidity, agility, and quickness that were the hallmark of the Lochs warrior, and especially of these two as well, is very handy in the complex controls it takes to change and be functional in the form. All intelligence officers needed basic proficiency in one land, one air, and one water form. Many of these could only modify themselves just enough to exist in those realms for enough time to effect a quick escape from a hairy situation. Even with their connection, these two cannot both be so changed at one time. It is taking a lot of their combined energy to keep Sealg in the much smaller form than he is used to . He loves the speed and maneuverability, but is still getting the hang of some of the more technical aspects.

For his own disguise, Roarke has decided to use the traditions of one of the small allied subclans of the Mhothair, a nearly extinct clanline that covers itself from head to foot except for their eyes. Supple leather bends and moves with each movement. The black leather appears a tad worn perhaps, but of quality. This is intentional as part of his disguise. He has decided his only chance is to infiltrate as one of the quiet, shadowy mountain folk that aren’t quite part of either clan, but has some connection to both eons before, and remained out of the fight because their territory had shrunk away from the Lochs. He thanks his old Althori teacher once again for all the day trips climbing the face of the castle and the mountains behind. They come in handy as he scales the cliffface side of the Crag Palace. The membrane connecting his legs and wings help him round to the face, streamlining himself and keeping his body tight without slamming into the rock. He explores the place a bit before they the two windriders appear through the eyes of Sealg. He can see the fine film of dust and does not want to disturb anything. He makes his way out the front of the fortress, swinging out and through the air before running down the side, using his momentum like the downdraft provided by membranes of the form Sealg is in. He lands with a roll, taking off a ways until he sees the pair appear a few days later. He can’t see clearly enough to distinguish Vaako’s features, but he has been her bodyguard for years. Replacing him had been thought of and discarded. They knew each other too well. No, Roarke’s covert position would serve him well. The traditional covering of the Lochs intelligence commander is almost as covering as the garb of the Althori clansman he is impersonating. Even if he is exposed, Roark e isn’t particularly striking. The gem is, but he plans to be extra careful about that. He slides back in after they are settled, setting up a small, smokeless campfire outside the walls. That way he can say he saw the lights on and didn’t want to startle them. It is not unheard of for one of the Althori come out here. It was rarer, but the best still strove for the tests of the best.He appears only to be a base soldier of a subbloodline who has decided to prove he and his Bond in a traditional way. He barely rests that night, his eyes barely slipping closed a few moments at a time. Everything could rest on the next morning. Yet at the same time his own nature rebels at all the reasons that say he needs to do this. The excitement and pleasure of the game to come is great. He can only hope she will be a worthy playmate. Sealg perches in the boughs above him, his eyes just as sharp as his own natural pair. Seal’g gives a quiet, shrill sound as his own reply to Roarke’s comment of, “We shall see what the day brings.” Firestrike and Glacial Fury are safely sheathed, the decorations well-hidden by wrapping cloth. His father agreed that those precautions must be taken at least. They could give him away, but they could save his life. They remain safely tucked away though, along with every identifying mark hiscrafty mind could think to be used to mark him too early.
 
Back
Top