Ronald Reagan gave amnesty to 3 million illegals

someoneyouknow

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jun 5, 2006
Posts
28,274
In 1986 Ronald Reagan signed Immigration Reform and Control Act which granted amnesty to any illegal immigrant in the country who arrived before 1982.

"I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and lived here, even though sometime back they may have entered illegally," he said in a 1984 presidential debate with Walter Mondale.

Reagan "knew that it was not right for people to be abused," [former Senator Alan]Simpson says. "Anybody who's here illegally is going to be abused in some way, either financially [or] physically. They have no rights."

Peter Robinson, a former Reagan speechwriter, agrees. "It was in Ronald Reagan's bones — it was part of his understanding of America — that the country was fundamentally open to those who wanted to join us here."

But Simpson, a fellow Republican who served in the Senate with McConnell from 1986 to 1997, says calling for tighter borders is a tried-and-true tactic of politicians unwilling to confront the realities of a growing illegal population.

"That's always the palliative that makes people feel good," he says. "You just say, 'Well, we're still dinkin' around with immigration, so since we can't seem to get anything done and our constituents are raising hell — how do we get re-elected?' Well, you just put some more money into the border."

Robinson says Reagan's own diaries show the president found the idea of a militantly staffed border fence difficult to take. In a private meeting with then-President Jose Lopez Portillo of Mexico in 1979, Reagan wrote that he hoped to discuss how the United States and Mexico could make the border "something other than the location for a fence."

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128303672
 
Reason for Reagan's amnesty

Was to make up for the millions of Amreicans he exposed to HIV/AIDS by refusing to use the power of his office to get the blood industry to use the test the CDC had and to make up for all the hemaphiliacs that died from HIV/AIDS blood.
 
Back
Top