Tell me why the weather has become so destructive!

When I was a teen, Man of War jelly fish arrived with unusually warm ocean temperatures. More than once, the lifeguards had to take us off of the raft. The water is normally refreshing. Like diving into a drink full of ice. Years went by, and there was a stinging jellyfish over population because the waters were warmer than usual. Yet annother occurence, when the water was uncomfortably warm. I never knew you could sweat in the water without a wetsuit. A decade went by, and the water became bathwater warm, for a week.

If spikes in ocean temperatures are an echo, what is the source ?
Like everything else, the occurrences are getting closer together, more extreme, more frequent, and more dangerous.

They had to include another category beyond dangerous, so they declared the weather to be deadly.

The spikes in high temperaures are becoming more and more extreme, and they occur with more frequency.


There are mystery fish kills, that are a mere blip in the news. Warm waters do not have as much oxygen. Ocean waters do not stay still. They are always flowing to somewhere. There is a regularity, in the exchange of freshwater and ocean waters, with the tides.

What does it mean, when manatees start following the Gulf Stream, into Northern waters ? This is an indication, by of what ?

1995, a radio tagged manatee, nicknamed Chessie, traveled north, past the Statue of Liberty and Hudson River, all the way to Rhode Island (to point Judith) after which he turned around and returned to Florida. In 1996 and 2001, Chessie was positively identified as returning to Virginia waters. In 1998, an unidentified manatee was observed off Long Island. Cathy Beck, a wildlife biologist at the U.S. Geological Survey in Florida who has been studying manatees, has reviewed photographs of the manatee's Rhode Island visit and concluded that this is not Chessie, and the manatee may not even be in their manatee data base. (Manatees, incidentally, can live more than 60 years.)

Manatee sighting in Quissett Harbor in Falmouth, MA in August of 2006

Manatee died from disease brought on by cold water, necropsy shows

October 15, 2008

Dennis, the wayward manatee that wildlife groups attempted to rescue off Cape Cod over the weekend, died from "cold stress" brought on by his extended stay in cold water, officials said yesterday after performing a necropsy on the animal.

Boston Globe

Manatee migration

http://buzzardsbay.org/buzzards-bay-manatees.htm


10/2/08

Manatees are normally found off Florida, but this is the third sighting since 2008


Rhode Island news station captured footage of a manatee in Warwick, R.I. New England Aquarium reported sightings in Rhode Island and Connecticut

Manatee spotted off Cape Cod, last year.


The earliest unconfirmed reports of the manatee came last week when it was spotted off Nantucket, before it was seen off Dowses Beach over the weekend.

Although the International Fund for Animal Welfare has yet to see the manatee that has been spotted around the Cape for the past two weekends, it has confirmed sightings off Dowses Beach in Osterville and Oyster Pond in Chatham after receiving photographs and videos of the marine mammal.

http://m.capecodtimes.com/news/20160...in-cape-waters

The New England Aquarium takes care of sea turtles that are rescued.

The turtles are trapped by walls of cold ocean water within the warmer hook of Cape Cod during normal southward migration as temperatures drop early each fall. When bay water plunges to around 50F, these turtles become cold-stunned, enter a stupor-like state and are tossed on the beach by sustained winds.

DECEMBER 21, 2015

Massachusetts Audubon Society volunteers recovered about 120 “cold-stunned” sea turtles during the weekend


Young sea turtles often feed in Cape Cod Bay during the summer but can get trapped in the “hook” of the Cape and become hypothermic as temperatures drop, according to Mass Audubon. Despite their rarity, Kemp’s ridleys are the type of turtle most often found stranded on Massachusetts beaches. Volunteers had already rescued more than 200 turtles since the beginning of November, prior to this weekend.

While the tally falls well short of last year’s record 1,200 turtle strandings, Prescott said this year could still surpass the 413 stranded in 2012, the second-largest stranding year.

Boston Globe
 
September 13, 2016

The two hottest months the world has ever recorded just happened back-to-back. And we’re about to have back-to-back-to-back hottest years. Sea levels are also rising, carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is at its highest levels in eons, and a host of other signs show that humans are altering the climate in ways unseen in millenia. Yet “the climate has changed before” line is often trotted out to essentially say ¯\_()_/¯.


Enter xkcd’s (Bacigalupo's) comic, which lays bare why we shouldn’t shrug off the recent rapid changes. Using data from tree rings, ice cores and thermometers, it shows that yes, the climate has indeed changed over the past 22,000 years. Slowly. The ups and downs have been driven by changes in the earth’s orbit and other natural factors that influence the earth’s climate. The changes have been slow enough, however, for humans to adapt and even thrive during that period.


The difference in the past century has been humans adding more greenhouse gases to the atmosphere. The subsequent temperature rise has been far more rapid than the generally gentle ups and downs over the past 22,000 years during which humans have spread out across the planet. And the temperature rise in the pipeline is even more dramatic unless we cut emissions.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/one-simple-comic-explains-climate-change/
 
Hurricane Matthew 2016


"...something peculiar was lighting up the skies far above Matthew's devastating winds and gargantuan waves. Lightning was electrifying the skies for hundreds of miles around Matthew's eyewall and eastern feederbands."

"But this wasn't entirely the normal lightning that you think of that zig-zags its way to the ground. Although lightning was also striking the Caribbean Sea below, there were also upper atmospheric lightning strikes, called sprites, exploding above the high thunderstorm cloud tops below."

What at Are Sprites?

According to the glossary of the American Meteorological Society, sprites are usually weak bursts of energy that are released directly over an active thunderstorm cloud with cloud-to-ground lightning below. Sprites also go by a few other names in early research on the topic, such as upward lightning and cloud-to-stratospheric lightning.

Sprites are generally colored red, but can appear blue similar to the color of some lightning strikes closer to the cloud. Some sprites can reach 55 miles into the atmosphere.

Sprites are usually very quick, lasting only a few milliseconds and are hard to capture in photography.

For that fact alone, sprites are fairly rare sights.

https://www.wunderground.com/news/hurricane-matthew-sprites-rapid-intensification

Why Are These Sprites Extra Special?

These sprites, all 28 of them, were captured above a Category 5 Hurricane in the Caribbean that was in the process of rapidly intensifying. These sprites were captured during the late evening and early morning hours of September 30 and October 1.
 
Death toll from Hurricane Matthew climbs to 26 in North Carolina

The bodies of a 53-year-old man and a 47-year-old woman were pulled from submerged vehicles in Cumberland and Wayne counties, respectively, McCrory told a news conference.

More than 30 deaths in the United States have been blamed on Matthew, which dumped more than a foot (30 cm) of water on inland North Carolina last week. Before hitting the southeast U.S. coast, the fierce storm killed around 1,000 people in Haiti.

McCrory said towns such as Princeville, Lumberton and Fair Bluff remained under water. In Princeville, believed to be the oldest incorporated African-American town in the United States, water surged to house roof lines on Thursday.

Although water is receding in many areas, the Lumber, Neuse, and Tar rivers are not expected to drop below major flood stage until Wednesday at the latest, McCrory said.

As Gaia tries to flush the infestation of Republican out to sea people get hurt!
 
As Gaia tries to flush the infestation of Republican out to sea people get hurt!
Florida will soon be submerged -- just after it goes Democratic! Coincidence, or... ??

[/me looks over shoulder for Jerry Falwell]
 
When Boston's Logan airport cancels flights, I take severe weather warnings seriously.

"Wind gust of 95 mph recorded in Iowa"

Looking at the weather map for the Midwest scared me.
The weather announcer was freaked out.

Airports canceled flights.

"Thunderstorms are possible again Wednesday night into Thursday morning, some of which may be severe as well."

Why does the storm keep travelling, and not weaken ?

http://www.scscircle.com/news/id-26...her-wind-gust-of-95-mph-recorded-in-iowa.html

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/710658/severe-thunderstorm-watch-issued-chicago-area-2

Dark skies

http://www.chicagotribune.com/


We have actually been in a relatively benign weather period over the past decade.

After Hurricane Katrina, all the global warming Chicken Littles like Al Gore predicted that Category 4 or 5 hurricanes would be the new normal. Instead, we have seen a decrease in severe weather. Hurricane Matthew was the only major hurricane to hit the USA since then.

Why do people still believe in global warming when every predictions its advocates make turn out wrong?
 
Hmmm.. cuz global average temp is up
Cuz parts of Antarctic are melting as never before
Science tries to predict the unknown based on facts
Politicians abuse facts for power
The oceans are dying.. but.. that's ok.. we still have the Kardasians

Global temperatures have remained flat for over a decade now. The only reason they appear up is that NASA changed its device calibrations.

Remember the famous hockey stick. That was outed, both by scientists involved and leaked email, as fudged data. There has been no warming of the eath during the Industrial Revolution outside normal climatic variation.

Both the Antarctic and Arctic ice caps are bigger than they were ten years ago. There has been a shift in the Antarctic, but almost no geologist or oceanographer will link this to global warming. Only climatologists whose grant money depends on global warming research do that.

At the time of "An Inconvenient Truth," those advocating global warming said the Arctic ice cap would be gone by now. It's bigger now than it was then. In fact, not a single prediction in that movie tied to a date certain has come true.

A scientific theory that keeps producing its own null hypothesis lacks validity. The only reason global warming continues to have any credence is because that's where the money is right now. If the government was giving grants to study why cows are turning purple, you can be sure there would be a whole flock of scientists claiming it was happening.

Stop believing what the popular press claims about science and read the scientific literature yourself. Then you'll know the truth.
 
Global temperatures have remained flat for over a decade now. The only reason they appear up is that NASA changed its device calibrations.

Remember the famous hockey stick. That was outed, both by scientists involved and leaked email, as fudged data. There has been no warming of the eath during the Industrial Revolution outside normal climatic variation.

Both the Antarctic and Arctic ice caps are bigger than they were ten years ago. There has been a shift in the Antarctic, but almost no geologist or oceanographer will link this to global warming. Only climatologists whose grant money depends on global warming research do that.

At the time of "An Inconvenient Truth," those advocating global warming said the Arctic ice cap would be gone by now. It's bigger now than it was then. In fact, not a single prediction in that movie tied to a date certain has come true.

A scientific theory that keeps producing its own null hypothesis lacks validity. The only reason global warming continues to have any credence is because that's where the money is right now. If the government was giving grants to study why cows are turning purple, you can be sure there would be a whole flock of scientists claiming it was happening.

Stop believing what the popular press claims about science and read the scientific literature yourself. Then you'll know the truth.
So what is the global average temperature now, compared to a hundred years ago? Has it ever dropped back down after the increase in the late 1900's?

No, it hasn't. Stick your hockey stick up your ass.
 
:cool:So.. the pictures of lakes in Antarctica.. faked?
Sea ice doesn't matter a smidgen. Maybe more fresh water increases
the size..?
The film of water flowing under glaciers and ice flows faked?
Permafrost thawing .. faked?
Wow...
And hurricane and cyclones hit record in 2015... (I had no clue) faked?
Just because hurricanes don't hit the Hamptons doesn't mean they hardly happen

Please do NOT hurt yourself of with the hockey stick!
 
Strange to see East coast phenomena mirrored by the West coast.
A small area targeted on the dartboard.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...ses_damaged_one-third_o.html#incart_big-photo

October 16, 2016


Tornado that formed over the ocean and ripped into Manzanita

The tornado ripped up about one-third of the city's trees and damaged 128 of its 600 homes. Five are irreparably harmed.


We're thankful that no one is injured. An event like this is only supposed to happen in the Midwest,"


gsgs comment-

So strange, to hear someone from the West coast say that.


http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...coast_is_in_the_clear_a.html#incart_big-photo
 
So what is the global average temperature now, compared to a hundred years ago? Has it ever dropped back down after the increase in the late 1900's?

No, it hasn't. Stick your hockey stick up your ass.

It's really cows Latest study shows. More cows more gas more methane gas more heat. More money spent on another study. Green Party says what really took place and this has been talked about in secret meeting with the Washington brain trust. We all know who they are.
The earth has flip flopped the North pole is now the South pole the South the north. East is West is East. Water running in all directions all kinds of scary things.
 
earth_temperature_timeline.png
 
So what is the global average temperature now, compared to a hundred years ago? Has it ever dropped back down after the increase in the late 1900's?

No, it hasn't. Stick your hockey stick up your ass.

Your need to resort to vulgarity irrefutably demonstrates the intellectual bankruptcy of your position.

It is especially amusing here, given that "hockey stick" was a term developed by global warming advocates for the supposed significant temperature increase in the late Twentieth Century, to which you refer above. The data on which it was based, as represented in the ridiculous cartoon below, has been thoroughly refuted. It came from a single researcher (Michael Mann) at the University of East Anglia. Emails have since been released establishing that he falsified his data.

There was a tiny increase in global temperatures in the second half of the Twentieth Century. There has been no statistical correlation demonstrated between periods of increase and measures of carbon dioxide or other greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere. Indeed, the amount of increase is well within pre-industrial fluctuations.

The current temperature of the Earth remains about a degree centigrade lower than it was in the Renaissance and during the Hellenistic and Roman periods. We could easily go up a couple degrees centigrade with little adverse, and many positive, effects (note that the two warm periods listed above were times of tremendous cultural advancement).

I suppose, given these facts, you'll now have little choice but to reply with additional vulgarity. Please do. I enjoy the laugh.



As explained above, the solid line (the famous hook of the now discredited "Hockey Stick") was based on data from a single researcher whose work could not be reproduced and which was eventually revealed to be falsified. This is just a silly cartoon. If you have any actual legitimate science (that wasn't subsequently refuted) to back this up, I'd love to see it.
 
Your need to resort to vulgarity irrefutably demonstrates the intellectual bankruptcy of your position.

-
There was a tiny increase in global temperatures in the second half of the Twentieth Century. There has been no statistical correlation demonstrated between periods of increase and measures of carbon dioxide or other greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere. Indeed, the amount of increase is well within pre-industrial fluctuations.

- (note that the two warm periods listed above were times of tremendous cultural advancement).

I suppose, given these facts, you'll now have little choice but to reply with additional vulgarity. Please do. I enjoy the laugh.

-.

I haven't seen the graphs from the ice cores in a while but they might answer a lot of the questions about CO2 which just topped 400 ppm. We need forests to consume the CO2 otherwise the oceans will die and so will our World Order! The sea is the source of much of our sustenance. And soy bean farmers are cutting the Amazon Basin so fast that the rain forest is disappearing. Saudi Arabia might have to plant a few more dates goves to compensate for the CO2 imbalance due to burning their oil. And coal miners ought to plant trees on their strip mines.
 
I haven't seen the graphs from the ice cores in a while but they might answer a lot of the questions about CO2 which just topped 400 ppm. We need forests to consume the CO2 otherwise the oceans will die and so will our World Order! The sea is the source of much of our sustenance. And soy bean farmers are cutting the Amazon Basin so fast that the rain forest is disappearing. Saudi Arabia might have to plant a few more dates goves to compensate for the CO2 imbalance due to burning their oil. And coal miners ought to plant trees on their strip mines.
We also need to pay heed to bhurry and his theory on cows. Farmers and ranchers must do there part in finding a way of growing crops that will curtail the creation of methane when eaten by livestock. Its know to have great effect on the greenhouse effect. Lets step back and look at the overall good this could do. Milk, beef containing less gas, less bull shit. No end.
 
The methane content of the atmosphere is steadily climbing. The carbon dioxide content of the atmosphere is skyrocketing.

Reducing fossil fuel emissions is far more imperative than reducing livestock emissions.
 
Once, again, a general area gets a a warning.
A small area on the dartboard gets crushed.

It is not that floods do not happen.
It is the increase of vehemence.

"Never have seen it, this bad."

Nothing is the same, as it was.
 
Wow. I had to go back all the way to page 28 of the Politics Board to find this little GEM.

It's almost like Global Warming, Climate Change, AGW...is bullshit.

All those "Peer-Reviewed" studies. All that "Settled Science"....Those "Hyper-Accurate' climate models...many have put under their pillow, or dropped to their knees to worship.

Well, it turns out...yeah...they're not so accurate. And maybe, just maybe, the earth isn't warming...i don't know...at all.

Pick your favorite news outlet, or use google, and you'll find stories like this....
(here's a tip: you won't find this in the NYT or Washington Post)

http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/global-warming-who-are-the-deniers-now/

All the scorn, ridicule, and flat-out vitriol that's been heaped on "Deniers" (especially on this board)... I'm not waiting for an apology, because leftists don't apologize, but I'm going to enjoy the silence.

And the fact that this thread will soon be back on page 28....because it's now 'inconvenient'. The truth usually is to lefties.
The authors of the study make it clear that their results are being misrepresented. If you'd actually researched the topic, you would have known that.
 
Back
Top