Sienna's Music Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wave Rider ~ Cal Harris

Yesterday's Heaven ~ Chris Standring

:heart:Europa:heart: ~ Greg Vail
GregVailSax.jpg
 
BrettJ... Life has a way of chipping away at us. And none are immune. Its like a cup . we keep pouring out bits of ourselves until the cup is empty. At some point our cup has to be replenished. It sounds as if you know what you want and need for happiness. And you have a plan to achieve just that. We are your friends here. We care about you.

A couple of songs come to mind. Maybe Sienna can find them to post.

(1)Lean on me ~ Bill Withers
(2)You've got a friend in me ~ Randy Newman

:):rose::rose::rose::kiss:
 
Thanks for finding those songs SIENNA.

Allow me to add a song that continues my Jeff Lynne thought from a few days back - and also my current emotional state.

The Traveling Wilburys_Handle With Care

BrettJ in Canada

In case anyone doesn't know - The "Wilburys" are George Harrison, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne recording as one group.
 
Soul Deep_The Box Tops

Tracy_The Cuff Links

Sugar Sugar_The Archies

Music trivia from me - the last two songs have the same lead singer, Ron Dante. He was hired to provide the lead vocals for the Archies and for a faux band (like the Monkees, who did not actually write or play most of their own stuff in the beginning) called the Cuff Links. In 1969, "Sugar, Sugar" was the Number One song and "Tracy" was also in the Top Ten. Thus, Dante became one of the few performers to make the Billboard Top Ten without his name being credited.

Dante still writes and performs today, most notably in conjunction with Barry Manilow. He produced Manilow's first 9 albums and sang backup on many tracks, including "Mandy". He still works with Barry as of recently.

BrettJ

Author / Music Buff / Sensualist
 
Oh wow - I never would've thought that someone "your" age wouldn't know SIENNA darling.

In the days when we had records and turntables, they played at different speeds, due to the size of the record. The earliest ones - those played on phonographs - were 78's and they were made until the mid 1950's and eventually, phased out. Albums were 33 (although never called that) and singles were 45's (or, as I just said, singles - one song on each side). All three of these were RPMs, which stood for Rotations Per Minute, which is the speed at which they played.

If you take a 33 and play it at 45, it sounds like an old Chipmunks record, which is indeed the way David Seville (Ross Bagdasarian) came up with the idea. His first hit was "The Witch Doctor" and then he made several Chipmunks albums before his untimely passing. His son is the one who revived them in the 80's.

David Seville_The Witch Doctor

You can't quite speed up the music and get it to sound high, a bit of engineering is involved, but that is about it. They did the same thing with a few of Mel Blanc's voices - they are slightly altered (Tweety, for example)

BrettJ in Canada
 
Oh wow - I never would've thought that someone "your" age wouldn't know SIENNA darling.

In the days when we had records and turntables, they played at different speeds, due to the size of the record. The earliest ones - those played on phonographs - were 78's and they were made until the mid 1950's and eventually, phased out. Albums were 33 (although never called that) and singles were 45's (or, as I just said, singles - one song on each side). All three of these were RPMs, which stood for Rotations Per Minute, which is the speed at which they played.

If you take a 33 and play it at 45, it sounds like an old Chipmunks record, which is indeed the way David Seville (Ross Bagdasarian) came up with the idea. His first hit was "The Witch Doctor" and then he made several Chipmunks albums before his untimely passing. His son is the one who revived them in the 80's.

You can't quite speed up the music and get it to sound high, a bit of engineering is involved, but that is about it. They did the same thing with a few of Mel Blanc's voices - they are slightly altered (Tweety, for example)

BrettJ in Canada

You are so absolutely right Brettj my love. I remember them well, my brother is 7 years older than me and I inherited all his paraphernalia, including the old tape recorders. Remember those? Boy did we have fun my friend and I, I only wish that I kept my young voice recorded for my archives ;)
 
LORRAINE, I still have a tape I made (with my cousin) in / around 1972, hosting a "radio show". It includes part of a Jackson 5 TV special. I even remember the guest, it was a comedian / impressionist named Johnny Brown, who later went on to a TV series here called "Good Times". I can even remember the visuals of the show, although I only have the audio. Yes, it is so old, Michael was still black! I had my tape recorder for years until it finally broke! It is also odd that some years later, while still in my teens, I got to co-host a radio show and eventually had a lengthy run as a professional DJ.

Speaking of those times

The Jackson 5_Corner of the Sky

By this point, the Jackson 5 were about as good as they could get. Michael's voice, while not at his full range, was no longer squeaky.

This isn't the full song, it goes on for another minute. The appearance was on Soul Train, obviously. I could always tell when they weren't really singing, some acts were awful at faking it - the Jacksons, despite their skills, were one of them. It looks so cheesy now and I cannot abide it when modern TV does it. "The View" still does at times. Johnny Carson banned it on his show a number of years before he retired.

BrettJ in Canada

PS - On behalf of myself and SIENNA, you have an open invitation to join us in the Bistro. No pressure, visit if / when you'd like.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top