What are the smuttiest, most erotic non-"romance" books you've read?

twiggystig

Experienced
Joined
Feb 20, 2009
Posts
34
I'm looking for the smuttiest, most erotic books you can think of that aren't (a) anything that you would normally find in the "romance" section of the bookstore and (b) aren't anything you would find at an "adult" bookstore. Mystery, science fiction, nonfiction, what have you; I'm looking for the most gratuitous of them all :)

If you know of a murder mystery or sci-fi story that happens to be classified as romance, post it anyway. Even gay-themed stuff is cool so long as it's not entirely a coming-out story.

An example of what I'm looking for is The Poison Tree, by Tony Strong. It's a murder mystery but somehow the author managed to randomly work in ridiculously explicit "Dear Penthouse" letters throughout the text. You'd never tell how smutty it is based on the jacket. His other book is somewhat erotic but he transitions every time things start to heat up.

An example of what I'm NOT looking for is anything that is, first and foremost, a pornographic or romance novel. If it's called "Hot Housewife in Heat" or features Fabio or flowers on the cover, it's probably not what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
 
<u>Ada, or Ardor</u> by Nabokov is the most erotic book I've ever read. It's incredibly smutty for a literary work, even by ol' Vladimir's standards.

One of the scenes has the male main character standing behind the female main character and touching her neck. The description of her bare back gives me shudders of multiple kinds when I read it.
 
The Sleeping Beauty series (3 volumns) by A.N. Roquelaure (aka: Anne Rice). Kinky as it gets and Anne Rice rocks anyway.
 
Emma Holly has some good ones:

All U Can Eat
Strange Attractions
The Prince of Ice (kinda romance, but also sci-fi/fantasy)

You can check read excepts here.
 
<u>Ada, or Ardor</u> by Nabokov is the most erotic book I've ever read. It's incredibly smutty for a literary work, even by ol' Vladimir's standards.

One of the scenes has the male main character standing behind the female main character and touching her neck. The description of her bare back gives me shudders of multiple kinds when I read it.

Awesome. I was a little underwhelmed with Nabokov initially (I find him boring) but I'll give it a look.

The Sleeping Beauty series (3 volumns) by A.N. Roquelaure (aka: Anne Rice). Kinky as it gets and Anne Rice rocks anyway.

Awesome. I've heard her books besides Interview were pretty heavy on the S&M theme, especially the ones written under her pen name. I'll check it out.

Emma Holly has some good ones:

All U Can Eat
Strange Attractions
The Prince of Ice (kinda romance, but also sci-fi/fantasy)

You can check read excepts here.

Some of those do look interesting, and the excerpts were pretty hot, but I'm going to have a lot of explaining to do if my girlfriend and co-workers notice me start reading books with oiled half-naked men on the cover... hence my aversion to books in the "romance" category :\

Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward--excellent series

Awesome. I've seen Ward's books at the store; will have to give it a look.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS! Always looking for new stuff to read :)
 
The Fermata by Nicholson Baker

Pure filth on almost every page, but it's respectable literature too. He's a good, literary writer.
 
Last edited:
The Unlimited Dream Company by J. G. Ballard, Waves by M. A. Foster, Courtship Right by Donald Kingsbury, all science fiction. There are also a lot of historicals that are heavy on the sex but not quite enough to be erotica.
 
If you're trying to read smut in public without anyone knowing, you'll want to avoid those Sleeping Beauty books.

A) You'll be pretty turned on
B) I've found that unless they live under a rock, most people have heard of those books... making them not so innocuous.

She did have a book called The Mummy that had some goods scenes.

There's a Judy Bloom book was some good stuff as well, I just forget the name
 
That would be the BIBLE.

Surprise.:D

When in doubt...check the manual, it's all there.
 
The Unlimited Dream Company by J. G. Ballard, Waves by M. A. Foster, Courtship Right by Donald Kingsbury, all science fiction. There are also a lot of historicals that are heavy on the sex but not quite enough to be erotica.

Thanks for the suggestions; sci-fi is primarily what I'm hoping to find. To make a slight correction though, I found that Kingsbury book is actually titled "Courtship Rite."

That would be the BIBLE.

Surprise.:D

When in doubt...check the manual, it's all there.

Song of Solomon notwithstanding, there is nothing overtly explicit or all that erotic about the Bible. There are many references and vague allusions to all sorts of deviant sex but ultimately it's about as titillating as a textbook on human anatomy.

On that note though, if anybody was genuinely interested in learning about the extent of sexuality in the Bible, I highly recommend Ronald Ecker's excellent site.
 
Well, if we're talking about out of context sex scenes (not necessarily detailed) I'd have to say just about anything written by Harry Turtledove. He has a habit of tossing in gratuitous sex scenes into stories that don't really warrant it at all.
 
If you read Dan Brown, and like The Da Vinci Code, or even Angels and Demons...

In Angels and Demons the last chapter....one can imagine what Vittoria Vetra did to Robert Langdon.....wow

Then I saw the preview for Angels and Demons, and saw who played Vittoria...and that killed that thought!
 
I know a lot of vampire books tend to be heavy on sex. I used to read a lot, but it got repeatative and boring. but then I wasn't looking for books with lots of sex at the time.
 
Alotta years ago I masturbated to sections of Candy and Lady Chatterley's Lover....
 
The Dead Witch Walking Series by Kim Harrison has some scenes I was sitting in class reading that I had to put the book down and focus. LOL
The Vampire Huntress Series by L.A. Banks gets pretty hot and heavy too ;)
 
what noor said.

in addition however, anne rice also wrote smut as anne rampling, btw.

ed
 
Back
Top