Metalheads & Writers

I’m not a fan of them either, that one song fits the new MI movie. It’s about all I can say, but when my daughter downloaded it after we got home, I knew I was about to be tortured. I’m not really a Limp Bizkit fan either. I might have to raid my trunk of CDs for something to drown out my daughter’s radio. At least I got her hooked on Lord of the Lost and KMFDM
🌹Kant👠👠👠

Depending on your mood, how about...

Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Killing Joke - Love Like Blood
Asphyx - The Rack
Demonical - Chaos Manifesto
Celldweller - Wish Upon A Blackstar (thank me later :))
Or anything by Perturbator or Carpenter Brut

Normally, I'm pretty good at filtering songs/artists I don't like. But Imagine Dragons went on my personal (pretty short) hate list with that terrible "Thunder" song. That infernal SAPI voice sample and the ultra-fluffy, cotton-candy vocals - there's no "Thunder" in that song, not even a wet fart. And as intriguing as that oriental melody is in that Mission Impossible song, the vocals and the "we'll throw as much synth crap at the listener as possible and see what sticks" production ruin it. They are exactly going the Maroon 5 way - good bye rock, hello zeitgeist plus shitty vocals.

Depending on your mood, how about...

Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Killing Joke - Love Like Blood
Asphyx - The Rack
Demonical - Chaos Manifesto
Celldweller - Wish Upon A Blackstar (thank me later :))
Or anything by Perturbator or Carpenter Brut

Normally, I'm pretty good at filtering songs/artists I don't like. But Imagine Dragons went on my personal (pretty short) hate list with that terrible "Thunder" song. That infernal SAPI voice sample and the ultra-fluffy, cotton-candy vocals - there's no "Thunder" in that song, not even a wet fart. And as intriguing as that oriental melody is in that Mission Impossible song, the vocals and the "we'll throw as much synth crap at the listener as possible and see what sticks" production ruin it. They are exactly going the Maroon 5 way - good bye rock, hello zeitgeist plus shitty vocals.

Slayer tends to be my go to band to get certain songs outta my head that get stuck there - especially commercialized crap that’s mainstream or overly popular. Tonight, though, I dug out the good old Samael - Ceremony of Opposites and Blood Ritual. Initially, I was going to go with Hypocrisy or Carnage. I might save them for tomorrow.

As a side note, I have influenced my daughter’s taste in music to some degree. Now, my son (7), he likes pretty much anything I’m listening to, but if it hasn’t got legs on the song beat, he’ll say change the song. Oddly, the song of his choice is “Stray Bullet” by KMFDM. I can’t wait to hear him when he’s old enough to request Obituary, Death, or Slayer, etc. 🌹Kant

Okay, I’m a movie kinda guy... err, girl... whatever (LoL), but anyway I went to see Deadpool 2 opening night and this fucking song from the New Mission Impossible movie is stuck in my head now(grr) oh, well, can anyone else relate to this shit?

https://youtu.be/bmUxvX2z5N0

🌹Kant👠👠👠

I feel your pain. A few years back, when they were constantly playing commercials for that Hatfields and McCoys miniseries on every television station, on the radio, and even in retail stores, I unintentionally memorized the lyrics to Bartholomew from Silent Comedy. The other ear worm that refused to leave my head at first thanks to media marketing, was Bidibodi Bidibu --Bubbles from Super Troopers. 😡

I've found that, for myself, Manson's remix The Horrible People, is catchy enough to drown out anything else; so that's my go-to to clear my head.

I love love love The Birthday Massacre. Their rock/synthwave mix is just too seductive.

Also, welcome to metal heaven here on Lit, J_R! This is where eardrums go to die :)

Yesterday, I found a new obsession. Le Cassette. Heard them on a Perturbator track and went down a dep, deep rabbit hole of almost too much synthwave. Yes, not metal, but I have lost my blinders about 25 years ago.

I love love love The Birthday Massacre. Their rock/synthwave mix is just too seductive.

Also, welcome to metal heaven here on Lit, J_R! This is where eardrums go to die :)

Thanks, *shrugs* but I've been sneaking in and out for awhile.

Yesterday, I found a new obsession. Le Cassette. Heard them on a Perturbator track and went down a dep, deep rabbit hole of almost too much synthwave. Yes, not metal, but I have lost my blinders about 25 years ago.

I figured what the hell, I'm bored, I'll give them a listen... annnnnd immediately wanted to listen to Depeche Mode instead. :/ That voice though... I'll probably give them another go in a bit. Voices can get me into music trouble. Example: Covenant

Here’s something that I’m sure 99% of people aren’t going to like. It’s not anywhere near the stuff I normally listen to, but at 3:00am when you can’t sleep and your surfing the bullshit on YouTube and find something like this

https://youtu.be/n_DiBQ8bFcU

You have to take a step back and ask why you found it so addictive in the first place? I guess it’s because it’s so damn different from my normal stuff. Maybe I’m needing something different and beyond what’s acceptable to me. Anyway, as a Transvestite, I find the song strangely - dare I say - unique and appealing? 🌹Kant👠👠👠

Mostly what I listen to these days isn’t typical, straight up Death Metal anymore. I love the genre, going back to the late 80’s, early 90’s. Around the mid 90’s I fell in love with “gothic” and techno-industrial music.

Here’s a gem I found on YouTube a week or so ago. It’s gothic, but not like the older stuff I listened to years ago.

https://youtu.be/1LAeiXH4k3c

Anyone else listen to these guys?🌹Kant👠👠👠

Thanks for the recommendations. I found both tracks very nice on the ears.

I think, as Metalheads, we're in theory already exposed to a wide range of musical expression, even in one subgenre. There is a huge difference between Mayhem, Primordial, Myrkur, Dimmu Borgir and Watain, although technically they all play Black Metal. Same with Death Metal. You have the ultra-technical stuff like modern Cannibal Corpse, the slow, methodical steam rollerBolt Thrower or the Swedish school of melodious, yet highly aggressive stuff like Dismember or Edge of Sanity.

So it's not much of a leap to be more tolerant towards other styles of music in general, especially when they touch one on a personal level. I've never understood why I should stop listening to Depeche Mode or Sisters of Mercy just because I happen to like Massacre and Napalm Death. And you simply can not have sex with Sepultura blasting in the background :)

As a longtime D&D game master, I've always had a decent set of folk and instrumental soundtracks in my collection. Some scenes work better with Clannad than Ensiferum.

I think, as Metalheads, we're in theory already exposed to a wide range of musical expression, even in one subgenre. There is a huge difference between Mayhem, Primordial, Myrkur, Dimmu Borgir and Watain, although technically they all play Black Metal. Same with Death Metal. You have the ultra-technical stuff like modern Cannibal Corpse, the slow, methodical steam rollerBolt Thrower or the Swedish school of melodious, yet highly aggressive stuff like Dismember or Edge of Sanity.

So it's not much of a leap to be more tolerant towards other styles of music in general, especially when they touch one on a personal level. I've never understood why I should stop listening to Depeche Mode or Sisters of Mercy just because I happen to like Massacre and Napalm Death. And you simply can not have sex with Sepultura blasting in the background :)

As a longtime D&D game master, I've always had a decent set of folk and instrumental soundtracks in my collection. Some scenes work better with Clannad than Ensiferum.

Neither one of my ex wives would go for me blasting Obituary in the bedroom during sex. The closest I ever got was Sundown’s song “Star” and Led Zepplin’s “Stairway to Heaven” maybe Pink Floyd’s song “Run like Hell”.

Oh, I dug Celestial Season - Decameron out tonight and Withering Surface - Walking on phantom ice🌹
https://youtu.be/Wu9AGKQRoE0
💋Kant

Last edited:
Neither one of my ex wives would go for me blasting Obituary in the bedroom during sex. The closest I ever got was Sundown’s song “Star” and Led Zepplin’s “Stairway to Heaven” maybe Pink Floyd’s song “Run like Hell”.

Oh, I dug Celestial Season - Decameron out tonight and Withering Surface - Walking on phantom ice🌹
https://youtu.be/Wu9AGKQRoE0
💋Kant

Heh. I'm too much of a romantic to try and bring Carcass into the bedroom, despite my lady love being into metal as well. I think we had Nightwish on once :)

And my argument for metalheads' tolerance dies the moment someone like Eric Adams sings "If you're not into metal, you're not my friend". Fuck you, Manowar :)

Heh. I'm too much of a romantic to try and bring Carcass into the bedroom, despite my lady love being into metal as well. I think we had Nightwish on once :)

And my argument for metalheads' tolerance dies the moment someone like Eric Adams sings "If you're not into metal, you're not my friend". Fuck you, Manowar :)

I haven't seen much of their work, so I never quite figured out - is Manowar meant to be self-parody, or do they really think that highly of themselves?

I think I said to Blind Justice a while back: there's so much in goth and metal that is gloriously ridiculous, I prefer artists who can see the joke. Type O Neg were good that way.

@Bram: Sadly, they lack any kind of self-awareness. And with the declining quality of their recent albums, their antics have only gotten worse, as if they have to convince themselves they still have it. And they don't. They re-recorded two of their classic albums in an el-cheapo homestudio sound and totally ruined them, plus their fabled three-hour live shows are one hour music and two hours of self-blowjobs. They are hot on KISS' heels in regards to their embarassment factor.

Which is a bloody shame. Their first six albums are timeless classics.

I'm with you on bands which can laugh at themselves.

Last edited:

Since you brought up D&D😇 I was huge on Vampire the Masquerade as well. When I DM a session there was a band called Dreadful Shadows I used to invoke imiagery for certain adventures. The intro and the first track “Chains”.🌹Kant

https://youtu.be/vsTVI3Kppgw
👠👠👠

Dropping in to see if anyone has heard anything new and interesting I can check out. 🌹Kant 👠👠👠

Vinnie Paul, the drummer and co-founder of metal band Pantera, has died at age 54.
Pantera announced Paul's death on the band's Facebook page on Friday.

Just another blow to the metal community. Saying goodbye is never easy and most of the time it hurts. Farewell🌹you are missed. Kant 👠👠👠

Those guys lived so hard back in the 90s I'm surprised any of them lived this long.

__

I have no idea where to find new metal. I would listen to more new music if I knew where to find it.

There's apparently a growing metal scene in Botswana. I was going to check it out sometime soon.

While listening to Night Castle all the way through, I read up a bit on TSO (Trans-Siberian Orchestra) which may not be on the top 100 list for most Metalheads due to their orchestral base, but I found this interesting:

"Wacken Open Air Festival 2015

On July 30, 2015, Trans-Siberian Orchestra and a reunited Savatage headlined the 26th edition of Wacken Open Air Festival in Germany, which is the largest metal festival in the world. The 2015 festival lasted three days and featured over a hundred bands.[57] This event marked both TSO's first outdoor festival appearance and first Savatage show in 13 years.[58] A massive set was designed so that the two main festival stages would be identical, although this aspect of the show was not revealed until the second half of the performance. For the first 40 minutes Savatage played a reunion show featuring Jon Oliva as the main lead singer for the first time in over 25 years, as well as Zak Stevens. This was followed by a Trans-Siberian Orchestra set on the next stage debuting several new songs. Following this, for the first time in music history, the entire band played a coordinated set spanning the two festival main stages, connected by a catwalk. This united Trans-Siberian Orchestra featured 4 guitarists, 4 keyboard players, 2 drummers, 2 bassists, a full string section, and 24 vocalists and dancers performing in sync for nearly 80,000 people.[59]

In the televised broadcast a week after the show but right before the actual performance, Paul O'Neill and Al Pitrelli admitted to being blindsided by non-stop rain and mud on the night before which removed any chance to check the staging until the actual show.[60] Metal Recusants, which favorably reviewed the entire event said, "If all the above shows were spectacular and memorable the Savatage's and Trans-Siberian Orchestra show is a whole new level of shows...I have never seen such a thing take place before and it was definitely a once in a lifetime experience.
"[61] "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Siberian_Orchestra

There is also this nifty tidbit in the link above:

"In 2007, the Washington Post referred to them as "an arena-rock juggernaut" and described their music as "Pink Floyd meets Yes and The Who at Radio City Music Hall.""

Last edited:
While listening to Night Castle all the way through, I read up a bit on TSO (Trans-Siberian Orchestra) which may not be on the top 100 list for most Metalheads due to their orchestral base, but I found this interesting:

"Wacken Open Air Festival 2015

On July 30, 2015, Trans-Siberian Orchestra and a reunited Savatage headlined the 26th edition of Wacken Open Air Festival in Germany, which is the largest metal festival in the world. The 2015 festival lasted three days and featured over a hundred bands.[57] This event marked both TSO's first outdoor festival appearance and first Savatage show in 13 years.[58] A massive set was designed so that the two main festival stages would be identical, although this aspect of the show was not revealed until the second half of the performance. For the first 40 minutes Savatage played a reunion show featuring Jon Oliva as the main lead singer for the first time in over 25 years, as well as Zak Stevens. This was followed by a Trans-Siberian Orchestra set on the next stage debuting several new songs. Following this, for the first time in music history, the entire band played a coordinated set spanning the two festival main stages, connected by a catwalk. This united Trans-Siberian Orchestra featured 4 guitarists, 4 keyboard players, 2 drummers, 2 bassists, a full string section, and 24 vocalists and dancers performing in sync for nearly 80,000 people.[59]

In the televised broadcast a week after the show but right before the actual performance, Paul O'Neill and Al Pitrelli admitted to being blindsided by non-stop rain and mud on the night before which removed any chance to check the staging until the actual show.[60] Metal Recusants, which favorably reviewed the entire event said, "If all the above shows were spectacular and memorable the Savatage's and Trans-Siberian Orchestra show is a whole new level of shows...I have never seen such a thing take place before and it was definitely a once in a lifetime experience.
"[61] "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Siberian_Orchestra

There is also this nifty tidbit in the link above:

"In 2007, the Washington Post referred to them as "an arena-rock juggernaut" and described their music as "Pink Floyd meets Yes and The Who at Radio City Music Hall.""

God, I haven’t heard the name Trans Siberian Orchestra invoked in like a freaking decade or more🌹

Nope. But I hope to be as bad ass as they were when I'm that age.

But seriously, Wacken is way too big nowadays to be fun. The venue was overcrowded back in '99, when I was there last, with around 40k people. Today, they have a hard cap of 80k visitors. In a small village that houses a couple hundred natives normally. Much too much of everything. Too many people, too many bands. As a blind guy with a blind lady love, crowds are always an issue, so we go to smaller events which maybe have just one stage and less than 10k visitors :)
But damn, the Wacken line-up was epic this year.

BTW, there were two errors in the article. The radio broadcast is called "Deutsche Welle", they had the e and u switched, and the band were the Red Hot Chilli Pipers, note the "I". I guess they're a cover band using some kind of wind instruments. For anyone curious, check https://www.wacken.com/en/bands/bands-billing/ for the whole info dump. :)

BTW, there were two errors in the article. The radio broadcast is called "Deutsche Welle", they had the e and u switched, and the band were the Red Hot Chilli Pipers, note the "I". I guess they're a cover band using some kind of wind instruments. For anyone curious, check https://www.wacken.com/en/bands/bands-billing/ for the whole info dump. :)

I think the Peppers/Pipers thing was a deliberate joke, they linked to this article about the confusion between the two. Deutsche vs. Duetsche, that's just sloppy.

And, yeah, I'm not a big fan of crowds, or mud, or most of the other stuff that comes with that kind of concert.

Oh well, ASP are crowdfunding a new DVD and it should make the base goal in the next couple of days, so I'm happy.

Back