Voting for your own submissions

... and says you can vote for your own stories (although I'm not sure it really does leave the votes). So, do as you please.
Yes, the site does leave them - the site remembers my computer ID and only allows a single vote.

I'll occasionally read someone's story and think, this sounds familiar, to discover I've read it before and voted already. So you can't multiple vote on stories unless you do it from different computers or use a log-on identity scrambler.
 
I have a story, "The Babymaker of Springwood", which had a perfect 1.0 score on ten votes faster than it is possible for a human being to have read it, yet I didn't bother to vote for it.

My lifelong struggle with insomnia allows me to be awake for those first few hours, and I agree they are important to getting eyes on your story.

But one 5 from me does nothing significant to stop the dedicated one bombers.

The story currently sits around 4.47, about what it deserves, so in the long run things balanced out, with no help from me.

So your anecdote tells someone else what they should do?
 
The reason given for the one star is stupid but they always are. Did you enjoy the story even though you think it’s in the wrong category? Yes, I did enjoy it. Then WTF are you giving it a 1 star? Because I’m a f*****g moron.

In my case, the reader said they didn't enjoy it.

They were 'triggered' (my word) because they'd been cheated on in the past, and any hint of cheating didn't belong in the romance section (me reading between the lines). That's why the reader believed it should be in Loving Wives.

Never mind there was no actual cheating going on, and the reader realized that at the end of the story, but gave me the one anyway.
 
Last edited:
So your anecdote tells someone else what they should do?

Yes. It tells them that no matter how badly they get bombed, it won't matter in the end, so don't bother.

Can't believe I had to explain that.
 
Why on earth would you vote on your own story?

You already did, when you posted it. You clearly think it’s a 5*, or you would have left it on your hard drive. What am I missing here?
 
Why on earth would you vote on your own story?

You already did, when you posted it. You clearly think it’s a 5*, or you would have left it on your hard drive. What am I missing here?

Because posting it doesn't count toward the score. Obviously. If you regard your own opinion as counting as much as any other reader's, why not throw your vote into the bunch to contribute to the overall score? If your story is hanging on 4.49 and getting it to 4.5 might boost your readers, why not?

I don't think I've ever voted on my own story, though I wouldn't swear to that. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. My reason is that I want to see an aggregate score based on what others think, not based, even in small part, on what I think. But I don't see that as a matter of principle or morality. It's just my own thing. I say if you want to vote on your own story, do it.
 
I always vote for my own stories, often as soon as they post. I consider it a kick-start -- and it doesn't count until at least nine others vote, too. My vote is merely a dribble in the stream... that sweeps to glory or despair, alas. But I think what I write is good, or I wouldn't post it, or vote for it. So I vote.

The LIT audience is a herd of inchoate monsters. Maybe my first vote prods some enough to vote also. I'm happy if my story provokes any reaction.
 
Yes. It tells them that no matter how badly they get bombed, it won't matter in the end, so don't bother.

Can't believe I had to explain that.

So your experience (as you perceive it) was THE universal one that everyone else, no matter the circumstance, is going to experience. I see.

Can't believe that I have to point to that.
 
I vote for my stories. I post them because I want people to read them. For some reason a lot of people equate a hot score here to "better quality stories as stories" (which is a crock)--and I know that because they have posted they do. I have permanent zappers religiously negatively working my stories (probably a mix of because I'm vocal on the board and that this is a gay male tolerant site but not a gay male promotional site--it gives extra power to bashers). I vote on them as what little promotional work I can do for what I believe are great stories or I wouldn't have submitted them here. And I don't give two figs for the tendency here to want to know "what everyone does" to get a false sense of comparative superiority from a site whose voting system is a manipulable sieve.
 
If you regard your own opinion as counting as much as any other reader's, why not throw your vote into the bunch to contribute to the overall score?

Because you’re not any other reader.

You’re the writer.

We gestate and deliver these stories. After that, the readers get to pass their judgement. We already did, in writing them.
 
Because you’re not any other reader.

You’re the writer.

We gestate and deliver these stories. After that, the readers get to pass their judgement. We already did, in writing them.
So? All this thread shows is that some writers vote for their own stories, others don't. Just as some writers house-keep comments, others don't; just as some writers allow all comments, including anons, and others turn all comments off or don't allow anons. Each writer sets their own criteria for these things, and shouldn't be judged for doing so.
 
I don't give two figs for the tendency here to want to know "what everyone does" to get a false sense of comparative superiority from a site whose voting system is a manipulable sieve.

Wow...

I only asked the question because if it was considered 'bad form' to vote for your own stories, I want to play by the rules, unofficial though they might be, not because I measure my self-worth by how my stories do.
 
Last edited:
Wow...

I only asked the question because if it was considered 'bad form' to vote for your own stories, I want to play by the rules, unofficial though they might be, not because I measure my self-worth by how my stories do.

I think that was obvious to nearly everyone on this thread. It's a reasonable question. But asking a reasonable question in social media provides no guarantee that you will get only reasonable answers.

I hope you have been able to tease from this thread a reasonable and satisfactory answer to your question.
 
Wow...

I only asked the question because if it was considered 'bad form' to vote for your own stories, I want to play by the rules, unofficial though they might be, not because I measure my self-worth by how my stories do.

Wow. What makes you think my posting was about you?
 
I think that was obvious to nearly everyone on this thread. It's a reasonable question. But asking a reasonable question in social media provides no guarantee that you will get only reasonable answers.

I hope you have been able to tease from this thread a reasonable and satisfactory answer to your question.

I have.

Thank you.
 
I only asked the question because if it was considered 'bad form' to vote for your own stories...
No, it's not. Unless you're on a guilt trip. Besides, only you know. If you feel guilty about voting for yourself, then don't. Unless you masochistically like guilt pains. [/me lashes the cat-o-nine-tails over /me naked back, leaving bloody gouges]
 
No, it's not. Unless you're on a guilt trip. Besides, only you know. If you feel guilty about voting for yourself, then don't. Unless you masochistically like guilt pains.

I didn't, and don't. Even if this thread had changed my opinion, I would have simply chalked it up to ignorance, stopped, and moved on. No need for self-flagellation.

However, if it was considered bad form to vote for your submissions in any fashion, just like I wouldn't crack jokes about the deceased at a funeral or discuss my sexual preferences with strangers on an airplane, just because I can do something doesn't mean I should.
 
Last edited:
However, if it was considered bad form, just like I wouldn't crack jokes about the deceased at a funeral or discuss my sexual preferences with strangers on an airplane, just because I can do something doesn't mean I should.
Like I said, only you know.
 
Because I started this thread and that was the exact question I asked in the first line of the opening post.

Then you were wrong. I took the time to answer your question succinctly (and, I think, correctly and nonjudgmentally) in post #4 on the thread.

You're welcome.
 
So your experience (as you perceive it) was THE universal one that everyone else, no matter the circumstance, is going to experience. I see.

Can't believe that I have to point to that.

You post lots of things I don't agree with, or don't like, or whatever.
I don't attack you. You've done this to me before.
If you don't like my admittly narcissistic posts, ignore them.
I've ignored plenty of yours.
 
Wow...

I only asked the question because if it was considered 'bad form' to vote for your own stories, I want to play by the rules, unofficial though they might be, not because I measure my self-worth by how my stories do.

An excellent motivation, truly. For myself, I usually wait a week or four to vote on any of my stories, now that I have a (slightly better) sense for how this site works. If, in those 0-4 weeks, one of my stories is getting 1-star hammered, I will give it 5. Sometimes that's not enough. Ok, once, but that was recent, and it was a transitional chapter, and, OK, haters gotta hate. Honestly, a transitional chapter wasn't going to be crazy-good anyway, though perhaps opinions might differ, and, OK, the other transitional chapter I posted recently was better. It had more sex, anyway. Otherwise, I let the people have their voice(s). My writing won't appeal to everyone, I know that. Some (far) less than others. Let them take ace. Heh.

I've had stories hit 10 reviews with a perfect 5-star rating and then get hammered down. Mostly now I notice my chapters in the high 4.8+ range that don't have quite enough votes to qualify for a red H. C'est la vie. I'm sure they would get hammered down if they had enough votes, just as before.

But you, keep doing what you do. This lot is sometimes cantankerous, and vituperative, some more than others, I've noticed. None of it matters. Only your writing matters.

Blessings upon you.
 
If the expectation is "don't vote for your own stories", cheats will still vote for their own stories. Since they're the only ones doing it, they'll get an advantage.

If the expectation is "vote once for your own stories, if you want" then the cheats aren't getting an advantage by self-voting. (Unless they're doing it more than once, but that's what sweeps are for.)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I see no point in adopting an expectation that only disadvantages honest folk. IMHO y'all should feel free to vote on your story; after all, you've read it.
 
In my case, the reader said they didn't enjoy it. Never mind there was no actual cheating going on, and the reader realized that at the end of the story, but gave me the one anyway.

I had a similar thing happen to me. He thought my story was going in a direction he didn’t like, kept reading and eventually realised he had been wrong, but voted me down because I’d upset him in making him think something was going to happen which didn’t. You can’t fight against that kind of thinking.

As for voting for your story multiple times you can, as EB has already intimated, visit your brother, father, uncle, best friend, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all and log onto their internet connection and away you go. I’m sure there are writers on here who do it already.
 
Back
Top