Most Romanitc Name?

Most Romantic Name?

OK, I think the official St Valentine's Day contest has ended (and some very fine entries, to be sure). But here's one for those still standing after all that hard work.

Given names - which are the most romantic? One male, one female.

I guess I'll open with Jason and Fleur. Don't ask me why. I just like the sound of them.

Last edited:
Adam, and whoever is in my most recent Floating World story (currently, Juliette) ;).

Cletus
Vejonica

I'm not sure there's such a thing as a romantic name. Maybe if you're talking about classic literature.

Jason and Medea?

In my most clearly romantic stories, one had the triple of Rodrigo, Honoria, and Beatriz. The other had the couple of Ray and Mel (Melissa). In the Romance that I'm currently trying to write, they're Case and Ann, or Liz and Ernie.

Names aren't romantic. Stories are romantic. If you want to evoke a particularly masculine or feminine impression, then that's maybe a different question.

Edit: It gives a distinct impression when you call a man by his last name, rather than his first. In my tragic "The Third Ring" the male character was Tannehill. I gave the woman the Hebrew name Keren, a shortening of the name of the youngest of Job's daughters, Keren-happuch.

Last edited:
Adam, and whoever is in my most recent Floating World story (currently, Juliette) ;).

Oh, Lord, I just today created a female character in a story (set in the folk music scene in D.C. in 1965) who is forty and pasty and buxom and hefty and gives favors to nineteen-year-old George Washington University sophomore trending gay men in exchange for fucks. I named her Juliette. I guess I better go back and reconsider that. :D

Names aren't romantic. Stories are romantic. If you want to evoke a particularly masculine or feminine impression, then that's maybe a different question.

I think names take on characterizations--at least I pick them with that in consideration. Anne would be a romantic name for me. Tiffany wouldn't. I'd use that for someone more self-centered and materialistic. I realize those particular ones are just from my font of experience. But we all have fonts of experience with names.

I think names take on characterizations--at least I pick them with that in consideration. Anne would be a romantic name for me. Tiffany wouldn't. I'd use that for someone more self-centered and materialistic. I realize those particular ones are just from my font of experience. But we all have fonts of experience with names.

I think there are anti-romantic names. In a modern context they evoke impressions that are explicitly not romantic. Tiffany is a good one. So is Bambi.

Using recent history, then maybe Diana would be a good feminine name in a romance.

Last edited:
My ex wife is named Tiffany. Nothing romantic about her at all.

My vote is for Victoria and the shortened version “Tori”🌹Kant

Oh, Lord, I just today created a female character in a story (set in the folk music scene in D.C. in 1965) who is forty and pasty and buxom and hefty and gives favors to nineteen-year-old George Washington University sophomore trending gay men in exchange for fucks. I named her Juliette. I guess I better go back and reconsider that. :D
Not my Juliette, then. Mine is mid-twenties, reads de-Sade, has pierced nipples, likes both men and woman, and rides a bicycle to keep fit. But it's okay, I don't expect we have much of an audience in common ;).

Carry on.

Definitely French names; we live in the South of France, and we're surrounded by Anne-Marie's, Sybil's, Alouette's, Giselle's, Silvines, Odélie's, Virginie's, Jeanne's, Justine's, and Clodile's. My wife's Cajun relatives have some very evocative and usable names, too; Jean-Nöel, Jean-Marc, Mélette, Bastiènne, Lucianne, Louisette, Jouenne, etc.

For some reason I can't really explain, I also find Coral, Collette, Lauren, and Stevie romantic and evocative

I knew a Tori back in my university days - a veeery sexy little thing she was too. High five!

I'm not sure there's such a thing as a romantic name.

Well, consider ‘Bertha’ or ‘Gertrude’. The image evoked involves a red complexion and hips like a dock crane. ‘Lemuel’ calls up the image of a man able to scratch his knees without bending over...

Yes, admittedly, it’s a question of trends. ‘Godiva’, even discounting the Lady’s famous ride, is far out of fashion. ‘Guinevere’ survives, barely, but the name of her fabled mother-in-law ’Igraine’ is long gone. Same legend - ‘Arthur’ is popular still; his father’s ‘Uther’ is unknown today.

Well, consider ‘Bertha’ or ‘Gertrude’. The image evoked involves a red complexion and hips like a dock crane. ‘Lemuel’ calls up the image of a man able to scratch his knees without bending over...

Yes, admittedly, it’s a question of trends. ‘Godiva’, even discounting the Lady’s famous ride, is far out of fashion. ‘Guinevere’ survives, barely, but the name of her fabled mother-in-law ’Igraine’ is long gone. Same legend - ‘Arthur’ is popular still; his father’s ‘Uther’ is unknown today.

Guinevere survives as Jennifer.

I did agree that there are names with an anti-romantic effect.

On the other hand... You're talking about physical impressions, while romance is an experience and a state of mind. I don't think there would be much problem writing a romance with Bertha as the female protagonist.

"Gertrude" reminds me of Red Skelton's old bit with the two seagulls Gertrude and Heathcliff -- Heathcliff being one of those names with a romantic association.

Hmm - in a previous life I did a lot of teaching and so formed some quite firm impressions of what sorts of characters were associated with which names. I didn't consider how romantic any of the names were, however, as that just isn't a thing if you're in teaching... plus you just get some ridiculous names that make you wonder 'what were their parents THINKING???' e.g. Matt White, Neil Downe, etc. We did, however, spend some happy moments wasting time feeding kids' names into autocorrect/spellchecker. What can I say? Microsoft Word was still enough of a novelty. Plus how else can you pass the time in boring staff rooms?

Let's just say I'll not be writing a GM romance with Bruce as a protagonist. Conversely, I might write one with Chuck as a protagonist--but only to purposely use the incongruity of the name as a story jolt.

The name Elizabeth also comes to mind, shortened to Liz and Beth - Beth being the most romantic of the two🌷Kant.
I dated a woman named Beth once. She was pretty romantic, just not overly romantic.

Back