Halloween 2015 Challenge Rules & Discussion

i'd like to say i'm in for this challenge, Tzara, but it hurts my brain just thinking about it. maybe when i'm more recovered i can get my head around its complexities. :eek:

i'd like to say i'm in for this challenge, Tzara, but it hurts my brain just thinking about it. maybe when i'm more recovered i can get my head around its complexities. :eek:
That's fine, Ms. s. It's not really a challenge, anyway. And they are quite difficult (at least for me) to write. I'm not sure why, but I have a lot of trouble even constructing a demonstration couplet like
Any witches who fly on broken broomsticks
Can recover from painful, splintered bottoms.​

Could you post a link here to your challenge thread when it is up? With a clear definition of the form you want us to work with? Thanks in advance.

Could you post a link here to your challenge thread when it is up? With a clear definition of the form you want us to work with? Thanks in advance.
It's here, but not really a challenge. More a discussion and practice area, as I said.

Feel free to attempt a poem in the meter, though. I'd be interested to see it.

No, that was a link to Wild Cherry's "Play that Funky Music" video. And I count eight syllables, in trochaic tetrameter. :rolleyes:

Meant to bold that entire line, I can count syllables T

Trochee or not trochee, that is the question confronting us all

Meant to bold that entire line, I can count syllables T

Trochee or not trochee, that is the question confronting us all
popeye_i_am_what_i_am_t_copy.gif

Iamb, what? Iamb!

:cool:

That's fine, Ms. s. It's not really a challenge, anyway. And they are quite difficult (at least for me) to write. I'm not sure why, but I have a lot of trouble even constructing a demonstration couplet like
Any witches who fly on broken broomsticks
Can recover from painful, splintered bottoms.​

i know i can do an 11-syllable-count, it's when i read things like this my brain runs in the opposite direction:

as a trochee (or spondee), a dactyl, and three trochees (or two trochees and a spondee):

if i can 'hear' the rhythm in my head i am more likely to be able to forget technicality and just concentrate on creating a poem, which then turns out (more luck than judgement) to fit the crafting required. :eek:

i'll try to get that feel for it over the next week. it's a useful challenge, Tzara, taking us out of our comfort zones. if we can craft decent poems because of it (or despite, perhaps, in my case), it's got to be worthwhile.

you'd think fucking an English bird would be all
beer and skittles 'til you're sent to a lemmas class

LOL, that's quite useful to me, thanks for the linky dink. I've been out of school a long time and am now homeschooling kiddo. It's quite useful to actually know what I'm talking about :rolleyes: sentence diagrams here we come...

i know i can do an 11-syllable-count, it's when i read things like this my brain runs in the opposite direction:

if i can 'hear' the rhythm in my head i am more likely to be able to forget technicality and just concentrate on creating a poem, which then turns out (more luck than judgement) to fit the crafting required. :eek:

i'll try to get that feel for it over the next week. it's a useful challenge, Tzara, taking us out of our comfort zones. if we can craft decent poems because of it (or despite, perhaps, in my case), it's got to be worthwhile.
me as well butters
stress pattern of standard iambic pentameter:
1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2
in the meter that T is proposing there will be clumps of 2's got to dig around to see where

i've never even heard the word 'lemmas' before :eek:

before clicking the link, i was thinking (given the 'fucking' context and possible repercussions of such activity) http://www.lamaze.org/findalamazechildbirthclass

given our ages, that's not a concern :D

I was playing on Lamaze and the heaxadatcyl? (call the Dr!) lines of the challenge, be right back after chores n coffee n finding T's original post

me as well butters
stress pattern of standard iambic pentameter:
1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2
in the meter that T is proposing there will be clumps of 2's got to dig around to see where
I was wrong, got it now

2, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1

Pah pa pah pa pa pah pa pah pa pah pa

Test

Here comes Paanwalla man to feed me, hurry

Last edited:
Back