The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only made a blackberry one once but it was scrumptious!

Last year was a bounty year for blackberries here. I ended up with 6 gallons in the freezer. Another 4 gallons from last year are on their way to becoming wine. Another couple of weeks and they should be ready to bottle. I still have 5 six ounce jars of jam from last year. Did i mention, I love blackberries. :) This year I only harvested around 5 gallons.

Last year was a bounty year for blackberries here. I ended up with 6 gallons in the freezer. Another 4 gallons from last year are on their way to becoming wine. Another couple of weeks and they should be ready to bottle. I still have 5 six ounce jars of jam from last year. Did i mention, I love blackberries. :) This year I only harvested around 5 gallons.

I am green with envy!

We just picked about three cups of mulberries. Gonna try my hand at a freezer mulberry jam. I once had a wine maker tell me that the stems disintegrate if you freeze them for a couple weeks so we shall see.

Another coat of varnish on the box; that's four so far, I think.
It's really rather old (about 1930 -ish) and isa bit tricky to fix up; getting brass hinges and wood-screws in Imperial sizes is getting Very Difficult.
It's already looking better than it did (the old varnish had faded and there were grease stains at
the corners. But a good rub-down (orbital sander, fine grit) and several thin coats, rubbed down
between coats (wire wool) and the polyurethane varnish applied with a tissue, rubbed along the grain.

Time, I think, for a nice coffee while it dries. . .

PS. If I'm doing it wrong, someone please tell me.
PPS. Someone please explain what the Bandit's all about

Last edited:
Another coat of varnish on the box; that's four so far, I think.
It's really rather old (about 1930 -ish) and isa bit tricky to fix up; getting brass hinges and wood-screws in Imperial sizes is getting Very Difficult.
It's already looking better than it did (the old varnish had faded and there were grease stains at
the corners. But a good rub-down (orbital sander, fine grit) and several thin coats, rubbed down
between coats (wire wool) and the polyurethane varnish applied with a tissue, rubbed along the grain.

Time, I think, for a nice coffee while it dries. . .

PS. If I'm doing it wrong, someone please tell me.
PPS. Someone please explain what the Bandit's all about

Sounds like you have the box under complete control.

I'm not sure which Bandit you are referring to.

One coffee coming up.

I've spent the day relaxing. The cobbler crust and strips are ready to go and in the ice box. Still waiting for the blackberries to thaw a bit more.

Spent an hour or so editing an old unfinished story. I think I've found the way it needs to be finished.

Got up late and my whole day is discombobulated time wise.

I put one of our chickens into a little side run we have off the main run, then realized my wife had just taken her (the hen) out of the side pen because it gets too hot in the afternoon. So I went out and put the bird back.

Do any of you know anything about chickens? I have no idea about chickens, but technically I am a chicken farmer. We have had a small flock since '07. This bird I'm moving has always been at the bottom of the pecking order, until we got two new birds a few years ago. Now one of the new birds has grown into the new top hen in charge, and she (and her peer) are kicking the old bird's ass every chance they get. It's sad. I am getting older and I can't help but put myself in the old bird's place, thinking that I wouldn't want any young hens kicking my ass all the time. Or, well, maybe I would but that's a plot bunny.

What can I do?

If I just ignore it, Bob (the hen getting beat up) just sits in the box all day and inhibits egg production in the flock. We get zero eggs if she's in there all day. If I move her to the side pen, we get a few eggs, but egg production is still down, because (I guess) there is drama in the flock. What is a chicken farmer to do?

Got up late and my whole day is discombobulated time wise.

I put one of our chickens into a little side run we have off the main run, then realized my wife had just taken her (the hen) out of the side pen because it gets too hot in the afternoon. So I went out and put the bird back.

Do any of you know anything about chickens? I have no idea about chickens, but technically I am a chicken farmer. We have had a small flock since '07. This bird I'm moving has always been at the bottom of the pecking order, until we got two new birds a few years ago. Now one of the new birds has grown into the new top hen in charge, and she (and her peer) are kicking the old bird's ass every chance they get. It's sad. I am getting older and I can't help but put myself in the old bird's place, thinking that I wouldn't want any young hens kicking my ass all the time. Or, well, maybe I would but that's a plot bunny.

What can I do?

If I just ignore it, Bob (the hen getting beat up) just sits in the box all day and inhibits egg production in the flock. We get zero eggs if she's in there all day. If I move her to the side pen, we get a few eggs, but egg production is still down, because (I guess) there is drama in the flock. What is a chicken farmer to do?

There is always the chicken and dumplings option. ;)

Right. If Bob isn't producing more than her share of the eggs for the problems she causes, whether wittingly or justifiably or not, the solution seems fairly obvious--if you're a chicken farmer rather than someone with chickens as pets.

Pass the shotgun, George, please.

Or should that be a lasso ?
:)

A quick twist of the wrist is the fastest and easiest way. It takes a little finesse and practice to get it right though.

Ok, a fresh pot for the evening crew and corn dogs all around. :D

A quick twist of the wrist is the fastest and easiest way. It takes a little finesse and practice to get it right though.

An old layer takes a long time to cook. I have recipes that cook chicken all day and I couldn't figure out why until I realized that they were OLD recipes. At the time the chicken you cooked was old and not laying and you had to cook them a long time because they were tough.

Sorry to hear she is sick again, MP.

NW, that's the reason I suggested chicken and dumplings. ;)

Sorry to hear she is sick again, MP.

NW, that's the reason I suggested chicken and dumplings. ;)

I have a recipe for an excellent pot pie that starts with a whole chicken. I made it a couple of times. It took all day and was the second-best chicken meal I've had.

The best was chicken enchiladas made by the wife of the Governor of Nambe Pueblo. She killed two of her own chickens and slaved over an oven for a day to feed a large meeting of attorney's, experts and tribal leaders. I complimented her lavishly before I realized that she didn't speak English.

I have problems with people who consider chickens as pets. Hell, they're tiny dinosaurs, fergawdsake. No, should the day come when I have a few laying hens, they're livestock, pure and simple. Pets are dogs and cats.

I could probably eat Bob, and even say a Coyote (or something) got her to keep the kids off my back, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen. I have no idea how to prepare a live chicken. If I were going to solve the problem by getting rid of a chicken, I would probably go for a drive and drop her off at the edge of woods or something.

One of them got sick and died a few years ago. Kids were much smaller. We had a little service, a moment of silence, lol. I'm sure a Coyote dug her up later that night.

Meanwhile, my dog is certain the end of the world is here, and all I can do is sit and type into my keyboard.

I think we're in different time zones, though, right?

We would be. I'm in Mountain.

Locally, the 4th is just and excuse. The explosions will be going on for days, but more occasionally. People will eventually run out and/or get bored by the flash bang.

Had to take my fireworks from the TV--the Washington celebration. They are going on all around my house, but the tree coverage is too extensive and high for me to see it.

It just got quiet here for the night anyway.

Bear, I have to agree, chickens are livestock plain and simple. They lay eggs or they end up in the pot. I have a neighbor who has chickens. He's just close enough that I can barely hear his rooster crow in the morning. I buy yard eggs from him when he has extra.

NW, his wife makes chicken enchiladas and i always try and wrangle a few.

We would be. I'm in Mountain.

Locally, the 4th is just and excuse. The explosions will be going on for days, but more occasionally. People will eventually run out and/or get bored by the flash bang.

Yeah, I'm in Eastern.

Had to take my fireworks from the TV--the Washington celebration. They are going on all around my house, but the tree coverage is too extensive and high for me to see it.

I can't remember the last time I watched fireworks. One of my migraine triggers is bright light (flickering fluorescent bulbs, a shaft of sunlight, etc).

Yeah, I'm in Eastern.

I can't remember the last time I watched fireworks. One of my migraine triggers is bright light (flickering fluorescent bulbs, a shaft of sunlight, etc).

We have fireworks for a Thanksgiving Festival. I can see that from the house because the leaves are off the trees. (I can see Monticello, Jefferson's house in the winter too).

We have fireworks for a Thanksgiving Festival. I can see that from the house because the leaves are off the trees. (I can see Monticello, Jefferson's house in the winter too).

Nice. I just see trees. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back