Rick's Rooftop...an OOC lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently all alone once again

There's nothing more embarrassing than a newbie talking to herself!

No one's at the Cafe, no one's on the Rooftop... I guess I'd better slink away.

Am I post # 100???
 
Congratulations dear, you are number 100 and let me send a bottle of champagne to your table. In fact I'll join you for a drink if you don't mind.

(No one downstairs!...that's impossible!)
 
Congratulations!

I beleive it is fitting when toasting a new opening and it's success to buy the drinks?

Perhaps a case of the bubbly, chilled and available for all and any that come in to congratulate Ariosto and another well done job.

(Raising my glass to Ariosto and clearing throat)

"Here's to our gracious host, for giving us all a place to come to, May he always be as welcome in our hearts as he has made us here!"

(Drinking the nose tickling brew and setting glass down, I wish I could extend a hand to shake yours.)


And to let all that have expressed interest in a ride in a steamboat? Doing the homework now to lay a proper background, will start the OOC and real thread Tuesday night. Thank you for your suggestions on this as well, and to all that gave me there input!
 
Mel receives a cigar for #5?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, Ariosto.

I've always gotten trouble for being cryptic in academia, I won't be spanked for that here. I would like you to find something better for which to spank me, Mel. I don't mean to be cryptic. We live in such a complex world. And women, no creature is more unpredictable or mercurial in how to please, or understand.

Just send her flowers, and you have evoked manifold issues.
She wishes to be related to as a peer, powerful, respected, but she also wants her hair pulled as you command her backside!

So, my apologies if I was unclear, Melusine. Let me say, I am complimented by the notion that such an accomplished wordsmith as you, would let me get so close to you as to wish to throw you into the big muddy. I feel grand.

Thank you, Ariosto, for your indulgence, and the cigar.
 
Last edited:
SexyChele said:
Renegade tops all of us - something like 14,000+ I believe? Ren, I know you pop in from time to time, so feel free to set me straight on that!

It's currently 16,600+ posts at this moment. Not that I'm keeping track or anything.


;)
 
Renegade said:


It's currently 16,600+ posts at this moment. Not that I'm keeping track or anything.


;)

Oh my, I have been lax, haven't I? Guess I gotta get back into the "Movies" game again and *attempt* to keep up with you. Yeah, right! ;) :p
 
Congratulations on the one hundredth post, Ariosto. This is a small but select crowd here, I feel. You have done well to give us this space.

Pendulum, I anxiously await Tuesday night and the launching of your OOC thread. With the imagination you have thus far displayed, the Riverboat promises to be an enjoyable place for all of us to be :)

Polywog, if you get any more hard to interpret, I swear I will have to really spend some serious time with you. But yes, I did mean it as a gesture of friendship when I hinted that I would allow you to throw me into the river. (This provided you were willing to jump in and rescue me. Ever try swimming in a crinoline and five layers of petticoats?) I hope you really do "feel grand." If not, I will feel it is my responsibility to put you into a better mood. (And coming from Melusine, that could be dangerous.)

Speaking from the other side of the figurative fence, I am not sure that women understand men any more than men understand women. We (or I, at least) puzzle over their motives constantly.

One day we really should explore the timeless questions here:

What do men/women really want?

Good morning, everyone! Over and out.
 
Small and select?

I'm not so sure about that.. I think its those of us here who feel the need to say something...

I too feel that there isn't a difference of value, nor should there be, between the story threads and the OCC threads. They provide different avenues for different things. Both are valuable all on their own.

Some people prefer the stories and that's great.

Other delight in the social communication, and that's great too.

Which is why both exist.... just like in people, different yet of the same value.

Good luck Pen on your thread. It sounds like its going to be fun!

Ariosto, I thought about it.. but I'm afraid my muse is lying in the Holy Lands at the moment, and I've never developed a real feel for the South... but I'm certainly going to be reading it. I appreciated the thought though, I did certainly consider it.

As far as what men and women want? We could get into all the shadings and nuances that keep us attracted and in love, but the one thing that always comes back to me is.... we all want to be loved, respected, and 'known'...


Good Morning All.. my wishes for a pleasant day.
 
Last edited:
I'm sorry, Lillie. When I said "select" I did not mean "elitist". What I most appreciate about the rooftop is the desire of the patrons to actually explore issues in common, and help each other. Especially for newcomers it is a very valuable place. Café Americain, though an extremely inviting place, is not really appropriate for serious discussion. I think Ariosto made a wise decision in separating the two.

I concur with you that everyone deep down does wish to be loved, whether they will admit it or not. I do think though that the expressions of that need vary greatly between the genders. If I understood Polywog correctly, he was addressing that disparity. Most of us have difficulty in stating exactly what we want from another person of the opposite sex.

Generalities are always dangerous, of course, and I did not mean to propose any kind of sociological study here. I do feel a little interested though, to hear how the men and women of our Literotican community communicate in matters of love. We each, no doubt have our own personal language, our own personal code. I know that I do. And it may not be understandable to another person. That is the crux of the matter, I think. Not what we want, but how we express the want. "She says no when she means yes" is probably the simplest example of what I am trying to say.

At any rate, good morning and welcome, and I am very happy to see you again :)
 
"When she says no, she means yes"...
Oh my...what lost oportunities.
Communication in matters of love may be an excellant topic to discuss today. Thank you Mel.

I would also like to make a comment on the role of the OOCs at LIT. I am the culprit who first came up with this idea and the RoofTop where we currently are sitting nursing our second or third cup is very close to what I intended an OOC Club to be. It is meant to augment, not replace the SRP threads which are what this forum is about.
The intensly social atmosphere of the Café downstairs was not my intention but seems obviously to have great appeal to our members.
The fact though that it is located on the SRP and not the General forum should be a strong reminder that roleplay is what we are all about here.
The activity at the Café is fun and delightful but also a bit unfair. No one is at fault but the fact is that many of us are unable, my self included, to post all that often downstairs since our time may be limited or taken up with story thread posts. The result is effectively to be shut out by those who basicaly live there or have the liesure to post many times a day. That was another reason for setting up the RoofTop.
I am not being critical of the Café and Honey is doing a great job with it. I wish I did have more time to enjoy myself there.


Later today I will post all of our contest entries at once and give the criteria for judging them.
Thanks to all of you who entered.
 
OH MY!

Aristo!

When I read your post my heart broke..quite literally !!!

Please? If you ever come downstairs.. will you have a cup of coffee with me?

I never spoke much to you cause, quite frankly, I felt imtimidated... shy....unsure and overwhelmed. I didn't think you would 'want' to get to know 'me'...

But 'shut out'..Oh NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

But then, again, maybe its not about 'me' anyway....


I still think every thread has its purpose and all are MOST valuable.

I would feel a little sad if we feel there needs to be values placed on any of them.
 
Dang, I hate when Lit goes down in the middle of the night when I finally have some quiet time to post! Now, just where is that coffee???

Mel, I wanted to say yesterday (and couldn't, thanks to Lit's servers) "thank you" for what you posted. You said exactly what was on my mind and said it so much better! I agree - if a person (here on the SRP board, anyway) has racked up 100 posts in story threads, that tells me they are working on developing characters, stories, trying to engage with other writers. To rack up posts with one-line flirtatious replies, well, let's be honest, that's what the General Board does.

And Ari, thanks as well. Downstairs is developing into quite a clique, which is as dangerous as those in school. I've noticed that when threads are started by those who frequent the "Cafe", they are involve those of the "Cafe". If one only stays in that circle, one will never come to know all of the other wonderful writers at Lit. As well, it won't take long for the writers at Lit to realize that those who frequent the "Cafe" only stick together, and they will find their welcome on other threads less than cordial.

Is there a place for something like the "Cafe" as it is now? Why yes, there is! It's called the General Board! Folks there are constantly flirting, chatting, handing one-liners, discussing everything from the kind of underwear one wears to politics. The people they present to the board are not necessarily who they are in RL - just like the "Cafe".

I left the "Cafe" at just the right time, I believe. But even if I did have an inclination to go back - such as to congratulate Honey's upcoming 1,000th post - I wold feel a total stranger, and very unwelcome. "Shut out" is a good term. You know, I was reading a few things there last night, and notice that Ari had written something that caused me to think he had something to say. Yet, his post was totally ignored. It was if he did not exist. Now that is really sad.

Anyway, I've found the coffee. What's the topic of discussion today?
 
IMPORTANT!...CONTEST ENTRIES

Please translate this into Victorian Prose;

"Mildred was shocked when she felt Winston's hands begin to fondle her naked breasts. She quickly became excited in spite of herself and turning around in his arms, she dropped to her knees and released his stiff cock, taking it between her lips she began to pay him back
with interest."


Rules...No more than 100 words. No use of the words fuck, cock or pussy.
Submit entries here before midnight EST on Sunday night. Put CONTEST ENTRY in the subject bar.

Winners will recieve a magnificent virtual prize!

__________________________________________________
CGRAVEN:

I am timid, Yet his seductive praise guides and encourages me. My mind reels with the struggle of values learned, now discarded. I take him into my chaste mouth. I coddle and suckle his member. I am lost in a world of pleasure and lust. He entwines his fingers in my hair and presses my face to his groin as his seed fills my mouth and throat.


MELUSINE;

Her body was the symphony that note by note Winston coaxed from the confines of innocence. She had closed her eyes, as if to shut him out from the sight of her growing desire. And yet he saw it in all its nakedness. Saw her transfigured;
saw the power rising in her even as she sank to her knees. Only once she dared to look at him, and his body trembled at that brief communion of shared intent. He was engulfed by the childish lips he had never even dared to kiss. Consumed
by the woman his passion had created.


CATHAY;

Standing next to foot of her brass bed, Mildred's quivering breasts lay ruched and puckered in Winston's trembling hands. She had never felt this overpowering need before, pooling and warm at
the liquid juncture of her netherlips. He lowered his head and his chiseled lips suckled her rose tipped nipples. Her back arched bringing her straining heaving breasts even closer to his powerful lips, his teeth grazing, his mustache gently teasing her to an even further reckless abandon. Her skin burned, filled with a desire
she'd never known, she knelt and her mouth following her heart's desire, she took his magnificent throbbing lance into her innocent mouth.


POLYWOG;

Why had no one warned Mildred of the request he would make of his new bride this night. Almost in tears, her skin turning to goose flesh, she felt Winston's eyes on her naked back, and her own heat battled the cool night air. Just then her beloved's arms were about her, hands cupping nubile breasts. Her hunger won out. Turning, she fell to her knees and loosed his pants with one pull of the knot. Her mouth did yearn for the tall mast that was his ardour. Fulfilling his
request, she took him in one tender, ravenous mouthful.


CAPTAINB;

A soft gasp escaped Mildred as Winston embraced her. She flushed at the touch of him cupping her creamy bosom and her rose petals glistened as if touched by morning dew. With a cry, she turned to kneel before him, her hands swiftly unsheathing his swollen sword. She bent to kiss it in reverance, a sweet droplet her reward, and then swooned as the engorged tip slid past her lips, her hand gently cupping his tender orbs.


If I have left an entry out please PM me right away!


Please send a list of your choices ranked 1-5 by PM to Turk_Rakker. That's right Turk_Rakker. He's my alter-ego who keeps a much emptier PM box than I do. Please vote by midnight Thursday. Winner wil be announced Friday morning.

Thanks to everyone for competing!
 
No, Chele, you said it better than I did. Trust me!

I think Ariosto was cordial enough to adopt a suggestion for today's topic that I had put forward this morning. We are discussing the "language of love" and the different ways in which males and females express what they really want. (I think.) Which of us has not had a multitude of misunderstandings when dealing with members of the opposite sex? "I did not mean that!" or "What was he thinking when he did that?" or "What is he trying to tell me?"

I remember that when I was single I spent an awful lot of time agonizing over the arcane meanings of the most simple actions by guys I was dating at the time. And just last night, poor Polywog and I misunderstood each other a number of times. So, I idly wondered aloud, is there some secret that would make men and women relate to each other better? Something to ease the chemistry? Of course, speaking out honestly and just saying what we want would work...but it seems we really do not learn that art (if we learn it at all) until we are older. In my twenties, I was so worried about being seen as a clinging vine that I could not show that I cared. I think, to some extent, I still have that problem.

"What will he think if I say that?" was a common refrain in my head. "Well, you KNOW what he will think if you do that..." was the constant admonition of my friends at the office.

So...either I was just plain weird, or there really IS a difference in the way men and women communicate. What do you think?
 
Last edited:
I guess I'm missing it..and starting to feel a bit hot under the collar

But Sexychele.. as you say "working on developing characters, stories, trying to engage with other writers" How I be judged by someone else's requirements???

I for one have people who can attest to me doing exactly that but BEHIND the scenes.. and the flirtations are just practice at role play AS WELL as 'getting to know other writers'....

I feel quite judged and I feel its unfair.. honestly.

And there is only a clique if one wants to see that.. HONESTLY ..the idea is be welcoming and open to everyone in Cafe..

And I think to some that has been achieved. Please, why not come and 'visit'...

And ..ANYTIME ...there is a group of people who grow close it could be called a 'clique'..

That could be true for the Haven OCC thread..

and EVEN THIS THREAD...

I so hope that NO ONE will let that happen!!!!!!

I do hope that just because things are not as people 'see' them in their own eyes then we should feel its the truth.. for we keep saying and I think we SHOULD keep saying..

there is strength is differences.. something for everyone
 
Last edited:
I don't think anyone is being judged

Honestly, Lillie, I don't think Chele or I or anyone else meant to be judgmental. We just have a different opinion, and as you said, there is strength in differences. Otherwise, we would sure have boring discussions up here, right? But I do not think it is the intention of this discussion, or any other discussion we have up here, to convert others to our own personal view. We are here to air our opinions, both popular and unpopular. If nothing else, it means that we will all get to know each other better.

*smiles*
 
First of all....Lillie? I was quite a regular at the "Cafe" - read back, oh, to maybe the beginning? I was one of the co-founders. In fact, gave Ari the idea to model it after the famous Cafe in "Casablanca". I left willingly. It was my intent to "visit" on occasion, but I've also seen where comments made by those who are not "regulars" are routinely ignored. I do not wish to be part of that.

Lillie, how you choose to spend your time at Lit is entirely up to you. What works for you is great. Nobody here judges anybody. However, neither do people mince words once they are "out of character". If I happen to feel a certain way, I will let it be known - sometimes in private, sometimes in public. Depends on where the view is best placed. Can I be acerbic at times? Very much so - just ask anyone I've posted with. Ari would be a good start.

I can also fiercely defend those I feel have been put in the wrong. And openly. You see, that is the nature of these boards. People here do not put on "nicey" face all the time. When it comes down to "out of character" it means that I am out of character. I do not role play in this thread. What you see is what you get. If this offends you in someway, well, I'm not going to apologize for it. It's how I am.

Now, Mel. I guess I had missed the opening topic, but it is a wonderful one! Yes, I do believe that men and women communicate differently. Neither one is better or worse, just different. I know that, being single, I will meet men I'm attracted to and they will say something, and I spend the rest of the day wondering what he really meant! (Normally only to find out that he didn't mean any more than what he said)

As to writing, yes, yes, and more yes! Men and women do certainly communicate differently! I know in some threads, I had to re-read what was written so as to understand just where the the guy was coming from. But I do have to be honest and state that more men than women are willing to throw a "twist" into the game - which only causes us women to be a little confused. But still it can be fun.

I also think that, for the most part, how we communicate in RL spills into how we write here. That can be good or bad, depending on the persons involved.
 
Well I do agree...

To be HEARD is most important..

and that is why *I* posted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may not realize that I have INDEED read the whole thread of the cafe from the beginning to the end..

As you have said you can be ascerbic.. people can be overlooked... we are ALL imperfect.


I just ask for a little undestanding of that... we get often what we give out..

I'm probably at my limit for today..so please.. Mel and Chele, enjoy your discussion..

I apologize for barging in, as I'm sure that is how this will be viewed.

But it hit me like a ton of bricks and if you wished I had kept silent..then how does that support the spirit we try to build here.

My apologies for getting off the subject but not for my heart or for my post.

Carry on..may you all have a good day.
 
Ari asks for 'Peace in our time'.

I said in an earlier post that it is not my intention to degrade the Café in any way at all.
It did become something that I never intended it to be but I have no problem with that. I was free to set up this place and am happy with the way it's going and now people have a choice of venues.
Lille I know you love the café, it's fun, you've met people and made friends. I will hold back on saying that it has become a clique but what has happned is that it has become a practical monopoly for the players that are content to post there almost exclusively and have the time to do it often. I have come to realize that a post by myself or another player who can only post irregularly will rapidly be lost in the shuffle.
It is not intentional but when you have four or five individuals interacting with each other at the rate of 100 posts a day, then no one with a single post will be noticed.
Again no blame is attached for this. It just happened that way.

The 4 post maximum I set at this new club is to prevent this from happening here and allowing everyone a more or less equal chance to be heard.

As for our daily topic...oh my let me think about that and get back yo you later on.
 
All right I'm going to give myself an extra post to say this.
Lille you are NOT barging in here. No one barges in to the RoofTop. Everyone is welcome.
And everyone is welcome downstairs. I do not want
this to become an antagonistic arrangement. Both sites should compliment each other.
Please remember that I started both places. Honey is in charge downstairs but I still have a propriotary interest in the Café as well.
Let's keep this all on a friendly basis....please.
 
My limit is reached with this post :(

but I would not want Lillie to leave us for the day thinking that we felt she was "barging in". How could we possibly view anyone's input to an open discussion in that way?

Everyone at Lit has an equal voice, and participation of every kind has its place. All of us are grateful for people who take the time to seriously consider a topic and post a viewpoint.

I would really hate for anyone to think that they had to subscribe to a particular opinion in order to be welcome at the Rooftop.

Ariosto...your mailbox is full.
 
Lillie, you are not "barging" in. How can that be? It's a public forum - there are no exclusive rights (or wrongs, for that matter) here.

If something I said offended, then I do apologize. That is never my intent. I do have a tendency, when out of character, to speak my mind. But I go take as much as I give, so I figure it's an even exchange.

So, again, if my words were considered insulting or hurtful, I do offer my apologies.
 
(A tired spirit stumbles up the stairs and sinks into a chair)

I have been watching the development of this thread closely. It's wonderful to see such varied opinions being shared. However, I'm sensing an underlying tension building in so many places on LIT, not just between these two OOC threads. It just tears my heart out because I don't think anybody visits this site for the conflict. No, it's supposed to be fun. Above all things, I try to remember the "playing" in role play. Anything beyond that, beyond having fun, just isn't worth it. That's what real life is for.
 
Oh..guys..Its OK! I"m sorry too... hugs to you BOTH.

I keep thinking, as a dear friend keeps reminding me, never forget the people behind the characters..

I like that thought....


I love to be here and am having a great time writing... and am hoping to write more.

Good thoughts in this thread too.. I see no differences in *any* thread..to me they all are 'great'.

So 'peace' .. mucha gracias Melly and Chele.. if you ever want another 'interlouper' *BIG GRIN* in a thread. Give me a call. I would love to write with you guys.




*big hug to Honey*..It's Ok..I think we just were 'sharing'. *kiss on the cheek*
 
Excellent point, Lillie. We all know that each of our characters is a real person, but knowing that and understanding it are two separate things. When all we see is the written word, it can be easy to start taking the other writers for granted. We might start thinking that they should know what we are thinking, that they should comprehend the meaning behind our words. Sometimes we need to be reminded to take a bit of time reacting to certain posts.

Over the years, I've gotten involved in a couple of e-mail arguments with friends of mine. These are people that I see a couple of times a week, but a misworded e-mail always has the potential to be incorrectly read. Then you've got the beginnnings of a flame war. That's why they make these little symbols, to hopefully convey your real feelings if your message can be ambiguous. :) Unfortunately, many people don't take the time to re-read their message before posting or mailing. And the recipients may only interpret it one way without looking for an alternative.

I've been in a relationship for many years. We know each other very intimately, physically and mentally. Yet she can still get upset by an unintentional bit of body language, or be too sensitive to a joke. Part of that may be my fault, and I try to watch out for that, but it can still be frustrating. It can be easy to snap off a reaction to her reaction, and before you know it a fight can develop that really has no basis in anything at all except a misunderstanding. Don't get me wrong! We have a good relationship, but this is something that we are both aware of and try to work on.

All I'm saying is that communicating cannot be a passive experience. It needs to be worked on by both sides, both the giver and the receiver. True trust and communication needs to be fed by all parties concerned. When we deal with people solely through the written word, and usually not in real time, it becomes that much more critical. As Honey-B noted, we're here to have fun. We get to play out our fantasies here, explore untested realities with each other. Let's keep our eyes open and our heads clear, and just enjoy the fountain of imagination that we all pour ourselves into.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top