From Canuckistan

is
HAPPY CANADA DAY

:D It's self-deprecating, really. :eek:
Our Canadian Forces in Kandahar Province in Afghanistan actually began calling the base there Canuckistan, particularly as more and more Canadian amenities became available. CBC had a radio play out called Canuckistan or something of the sort.

Happy Canada Day!

Our Canadian Forces in Kandahar Province in Afghanistan actually began calling the base there Canuckistan, particularly as more and more Canadian amenities became available. CBC had a radio play out called Canuckistan or something of the sort.

Happy Canada Day!

It was called Afghanada, ran for six seasons and was written by some of Canada's best playwrights.

Happy Canada Day all you Canuckian poets! I must say you've made an impressively poetic showing here over the years.

And to help celebrate, here's some music from one of my favorite Canadians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPlU9xYmWKI :heart:

Should we be writing Canada poems here?
groupofseven_homehr.jpg

I'm off on a week long backcountry canoe trip Sunday - here's Tom Thompson's famous picture and one of my canoe poems - what could be more Canadian

These lakes

These lakes are scratches
gouged by glaciers
from rocks
new when
life began.

Blood flows thickly
over old wounds
to knit a healing scab
leaving just a faint scar

Stir not
these calm waters
nor linger
o’er faint lines.

Paddle lightly
to the sunset
sending ripples
to the dawn.

Oh Canada!

My Canadian first story(among others):

I live less than 30 miles from the Canadian border. After I bought my first house(many years ago), I was told by a local farmer that Gordon Lightfoot, a favorite folk artist of mine, once owned it.

When I bought it, it was a one room Vermont country schoolhouse that I winterized, as pretty as a picture postcard. People would stop nearby and take photos of it, particularly during fall foliage.

I wasn't quite sure if I should have believed the farmer back then, except that I bought the house from an executive from the recording company that was Lightfoot's label, and one day, cleaning out the shed, I found a mailbox with "Lightfoot" painted on it.

BTW, Montreal is still my most favorite North American city, but that's another story.

Thought I'd add a little Mark Strand to the thread~

Lines For Winter
Mark Strand

Tell yourself
as it gets cold and gray falls from the air
that you will go on
walking, hearing
the same tune no matter where
you find yourself --
inside the dome of dark
or under the cracking white
of the moon's gaze in a valley of snow.