You're beautiful...

beauty-plus-blog-16-photo-1.jpg

So true!!!

One of the biggest things that women feel insecure about...but many men have told me that they think they're beautiful...because of what they represent.
fcd9e109-705b-4a8c-abab-69be1bb0b499_zpsa1f27a05.jpg

One of the biggest things that women feel insecure about...but many men have told me that they think they're beautiful...because of what they represent.
fcd9e109-705b-4a8c-abab-69be1bb0b499_zpsa1f27a05.jpg

let me heartily endorse that! :kiss:

https://encrypted-tbn1.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNo8UI1KhJWNNbJHX39NRw1AKDEM_UUhsLRAje_RHPmdQgTYNl

people-are-like-stained-glass-windows-they-sparkle-and-shine-when-2.png

A beautiful thread by a beautiful man :rose:

Thank you, my dear beautiful friend.

A friend asked...

Okay. Seriously. I've dwelled upon your Beautiful thread for a few days. I have an extra thought about that which you can bring up on your own, but I come away with this result. This is supposed to empower people to know they are as beautiful as others see them. How does one acknowledge that? If so, don't we view then see this as 'She's got a big head', 'She's conceited', 'She's not all that?'. How does one come to terms with that happy medium?

I guess it's just an acknowledgement and acceptance of your own beauty. How many times have you accepted a compliment graciously? Whenever I tell my SO for example that she's beautiful, most times, I get, "not like so and so" or "my hair is a mess today." I think that accepting the compliment is the first step.

There is a thin line between confidence and conceit.

A friend asked...

Okay. Seriously. I've dwelled upon your Beautiful thread for a few days. I have an extra thought about that which you can bring up on your own, but I come away with this result. This is supposed to empower people to know they are as beautiful as others see them. How does one acknowledge that? If so, don't we view then see this as 'She's got a big head', 'She's conceited', 'She's not all that?'. How does one come to terms with that happy medium?

I guess it's just an acknowledgement and acceptance of your own beauty. How many times have you accepted a compliment graciously? Whenever I tell my SO for example that she's beautiful, most times, I get, "not like so and so" or "my hair is a mess today." I think that accepting the compliment is the first step.

It's a good point, and one of the ways women rationalize themselves into their own negative self-talk. It's okay for a 6 year old to think he or she is awesome, but society, parents, other authority figures then instill "modesty" and "humility" into us to the point where it's not okay for us to realize we're awesome anymore.

And it's tough to get our awesome back.

It's a good point, and one of the ways women rationalize themselves into their own negative self-talk. It's okay for a 6 year old to think he or she is awesome, but society, parents, other authority figures then instill "modesty" and "humility" into us to the point where it's not okay for us to realize we're awesome anymore.

And it's tough to get our awesome back.

I'm going to start an "Acknowledge You're Awesome" campaign.

Modesty and humility is way different than self-loathing. How did that happen? Those ladies in that video were extremely attractive and didn't think so at all. Again, it's mostly about how others see you.

You, for example, for those of us who have never met you, see you as an extremely sexy person. Very attractive. We see you without having seen you and you will poo-poo that. You're shaking your head as you read this.

The fact is that you are who you are and you are seen by others as way different than you see yourself.

Modesty and humility is way different than self-loathing. How did that happen? Those ladies in that video were extremely attractive and didn't think so at all. Again, it's mostly about how others see you.

That may be my only issue with the video. Most of those women really weren't very far off the mainstream viewpoint on beauty. Though that does make it just as sad that they couldn't see it.

But what about women that look look completely different?

Where are the round women with double chins, mottled skin and buck teeth? And how are they supposed to feel beautiful? Or ARE they supposed to feel beautiful? Or is there a different word, one that we CAN learn to accept. Perhaps awesome is a better word....

(Not knocking your thread, just following a train of thought. :eek:)

Thanks everyone.

Here's another interesting article:

While American women see super-thin stick models and feel unattractive and unhappy about their average or curvy bodies, men don't feel the same way. Fully 80 percent of men ages 18 to 50 say they want a voluptuous woman, according to former plus size model Nancy Hayssen, who has written a book every woman could love based on the title alone: "101 Sexy Secrets: How to Be Hot, Sexy & Beautiful at ANY Size!" Another 15 percent of men prefer a woman of average size, while just 5 percent opt for a super skinny lady.

Twenty years ago, most fashion models were a size 8. Today, that's been replaced by an emaciated size 0. Meanwhile, during those same two decades, the average American woman, who stands 5' 4", ballooned from a size 10 to a size 14. Fun fact: A 14, which is now considered a "plus size," was approximately sex bomb Marilyn Monroe's dress size.

"We're being lied to everyday. The fashion industry and Hollywood have spread the myth that men want skinny, anorexic-looking women," asserts Hayssen. "The truth is it's plus size or curvy women who are considered beautiful."

That sentiment was echoed in a recent poll of 4,000 adults conducted by British weekly magazine Grazia to find out the ultimate attractive man and woman. Men overwhelmingly said they are most attracted to women who have curves, rather than skinny women, and prefer brunettes with "long, wavy hair." And 78 percent said a woman's most attractive feature is her smile.

Men are a practical lot. Three-quarters said the hobby they find most attractive in the opposite sex is cooking.

So what do women want in a man? A stunning 93 percent are looking for someone who makes them laugh, while 73 percent want someone who will "automatically" pay for a meal. Men who own their own home are five times more attractive than a man who does not. OK, so women are practical, too.

Curvy Women

Wow....I have to admit I can be my harshest critic. :( For my kids sake I really need to snap out of it. I want them to grow up as confident individuals that love everyone for their uniqueness. :)

Great thread idea!

That may be my only issue with the video. Most of those women really weren't very far off the mainstream viewpoint on beauty. Though that does make it just as sad that they couldn't see it.

But what about women that look look completely different?

Where are the round women with double chins, mottled skin and buck teeth? And how are they supposed to feel beautiful? Or ARE they supposed to feel beautiful? Or is there a different word, one that we CAN learn to accept. Perhaps awesome is a better word....

(Not knocking your thread, just following a train of thought. :eek:)

Oh I know you're not knocking the the thread.

I see this as a Catherine Keener/Cameron Diaz thing in Being John Malcovich. Although both women are very attractive, Catherine Keener's character exuded sex appeal, through a smile or a laugh or just being put together well. Cameron Diaz was not. The contrast was pretty stark.

I believe those are the things - the smile, the laugh, the touch - that make people attractive. And most people get past the buck teeth and mottled skin and roundness if someone comes across as attractive.

Wow....I have to admit I can be my harshest critic. :( For my kids sake I really need to snap out of it. I want them to grow up as confident individuals that love everyone for their uniqueness. :)

Great thread idea!

Thanks!

Good Saturday morning Lit peeps...I just wanted to say you each are beautiful to me...and those are not just words...I mean it...with all I am...:heart:

Thanks everyone.

Here's another interesting article:

While American women see super-thin stick models and feel unattractive and unhappy about their average or curvy bodies, men don't feel the same way. Fully 80 percent of men ages 18 to 50 say they want a voluptuous woman, according to former plus size model Nancy Hayssen, who has written a book every woman could love based on the title alone: "101 Sexy Secrets: How to Be Hot, Sexy & Beautiful at ANY Size!" Another 15 percent of men prefer a woman of average size, while just 5 percent opt for a super skinny lady.

Twenty years ago, most fashion models were a size 8. Today, that's been replaced by an emaciated size 0. Meanwhile, during those same two decades, the average American woman, who stands 5' 4", ballooned from a size 10 to a size 14. Fun fact: A 14, which is now considered a "plus size," was approximately sex bomb Marilyn Monroe's dress size.

"We're being lied to everyday. The fashion industry and Hollywood have spread the myth that men want skinny, anorexic-looking women," asserts Hayssen. "The truth is it's plus size or curvy women who are considered beautiful."

That sentiment was echoed in a recent poll of 4,000 adults conducted by British weekly magazine Grazia to find out the ultimate attractive man and woman. Men overwhelmingly said they are most attracted to women who have curves, rather than skinny women, and prefer brunettes with "long, wavy hair." And 78 percent said a woman's most attractive feature is her smile.

Men are a practical lot. Three-quarters said the hobby they find most attractive in the opposite sex is cooking.

So what do women want in a man? A stunning 93 percent are looking for someone who makes them laugh, while 73 percent want someone who will "automatically" pay for a meal. Men who own their own home are five times more attractive than a man who does not. OK, so women are practical, too.

Curvy Women

I'm curvy, have long auburn wavy hair, fairly amusing {I crack myself up, at least}, and I smile a lot. According to this,I should have men crawling all over me.

But at the bar, it's the slutty-looking skinny blondes with two pounds of makeup who seem to get all the attention. I'm not sitting alone, but I'm not surrounded, either, not like they are. Hollywood and the fashion industry pump out this garbage about skinny little women because thats what sells. Men might say in a poll that I'm the type they want....but they don't put their money where their mouth is.

I'm curvy, have long auburn wavy hair, fairly amusing {I crack myself up, at least}, and I smile a lot. According to this,I should have men crawling all over me.

But at the bar, it's the slutty-looking skinny blondes with two pounds of makeup who seem to get all the attention. I'm not sitting alone, but I'm not surrounded, either, not like they are. Hollywood and the fashion industry pump out this garbage about skinny little women because thats what sells. Men might say in a poll that I'm the type they want....but they don't put their money where their mouth is.

I think part of the difference there is also the intent. The poll might have men really thinking about long term. In the long term, that's what they find attractive. That's what they want to keep.

But guys who are looking for something superficial and fleeting, one night stand in a bar? Well, perhaps that gold-standard Hollywood bimbo type is something that works in that instance. For those guys. *shrugs*

(If I keep putting in my two cents, I'm gonna be broke. :rolleyes:)

I think part of the difference there is also the intent. The poll might have men really thinking about long term. In the long term, that's what they find attractive. That's what they want to keep.

But guys who are looking for something superficial and fleeting, one night stand in a bar? Well, perhaps that gold-standard Hollywood bimbo type is something that works in that instance. For those guys. *shrugs*

(If I keep putting in my two cents, I'm gonna be broke. :rolleyes:)

Eh...I'll spot ya the two cents if you run out of change. ;)

I think the other half of the problem here is the women, themselves. If you don't believe in your own attractiveness, men can see that. Those skinny little blondes with five men buying them drinks have the societal image behind them to back them up.

A friend asked...

I think self acceptance is the key. Accept yourself as you are, with all your so-called imperfections, flaws, what have you...these are the traits that make you an individual. Don't try to compare yourself to others. The people that are worth knowing will see the difference between confidence and conceit.

Hmmm...then those men that are just looking at the superficial are probably not worth your time.

Do people go to bars to find their soulmate or to just have a good time and get that one night hookup?

:D

Back