Defenders Revived!

The Darkness

A few drinks and a couple of hours later Sean Archer made his way home. With headphones in his ears and the brim of his cap low he made his way home. It was crazy how quickly the neighborhood had changed since he had quit. Sure it was no utopia but things now felt darker, a bit more hopeless. When he was patrolling the streets there were more people coming out at night. Parents worrying less about where their kids were. Children playing outside long after the street lights came on. Instead it was the gangsters and pushers looking over their shoulders.

Not anymore. Any buzz he had was gone as soon as he heard the police sirens. Distant at first the siren's wail got louder with each step he took. The flashing lights of emergency vehicles becoming brighter the closer he got to his apartment complex. At the front door a still body, covered by a bloodstained sheet, was being loaded into the back of an ambulence. Next to this, a young man in his late teens being pushed into the back of a police car. As neighbors and passersby looked on Sean couldn't help but shake his head.

Entering his apartment Sean immediately went to his room. Opening a trunk at the foot of his bed he pushed past random mementos and knick knacks and pulled out a mask. Suddenly memories flooded him, good and bad. The tireless nights, the brutal beatings and bruises that covered his body. All of it being worth it to see his friends and neighbors with hope in their eyes. With the cloth in his hand he asked himself the same question he had been asking for the past five years, 'Did I make a mistake quitting?'
 
Jenna quickly made her way towards the nightclub, hugging herself tightly and keeping her satchel close to her body. She looked very out of place in this part of town, with her blazer, fairly conservative skirt, and tights. She gripped her pepper spray tightly as she walked past drug dens and prostitutes, her heart pounding. Crime in the city had skyrocketed since the heroes had gone into hiding, and with her petite form, she looked like an easy target.

She gave a sigh of relief when she finally saw the nightclub with a few people inside. Glancing at her watch, she realized it wasn't open quite yet, but maybe if she played the sympathy card, the bouncer would let her inside. She was a young, sweet looking girl with an innocent looking face that could be hard to turn down. "Look, I... I'm a little lost and my friend is coming to pick me up. Can I please wait inside where it's warm?"

The man looked her up and down, chuckling and rolling his eyes when he saw she was definitely in the wrong part of the city, opening the door and gesturing with his head. Walking past him, she had a satisfied smirk on her face at how easy it was. Placing her satchel down on one of the tables, she took a seat, eyes scanning the bar for any of the faces she recognized.

What she saw made her freeze, her eyes growing wide as she saw the most wanted man on the terror watch list, Jack Kirby. In an attempt to be discrete, she pulled out her phone, pretending to send a text as she pointed at him. A flash lit up the room and she cursed, hiding the phone back in her pocket
 
Last edited:
Jack Kirby

When she asked who the kid was Jack shrugged in response. He glanced back at him and gave him a once over before turning back to her.

“Seems legit” He said waving his hand dismissively “At the very least he wants to fight. You going to help or not? I’ll shave if it’s that big of a deal to you.”

He kind of liked his scruffiness but… well you did the things you did for your girl. Not that she was specifically HIS girl but he needed her help. He made a mental note to take it out on her later in bed.

“Let me know the coordinates to the new base” He told her moving over to the steps “Might as well go get the costume and shave”

He moved away just as the girl came in. He didn’t know if the new kid was following him or not but wasn’t too worried. He wasn’t planning on being down here long anyways. Now that there was a goal he felt a little bit more energy. It was just enough to shake him from the funk he was in.

He got downstairs and ducked into the bathroom. Five minutes later he left freshly shaved and scratching at the smooth skin. He found his old costume easily enough but didn’t bother to put it on. Instead he gathered his things and filled the duffel bag he was using to travel. He took one last look around the damn basement and gave it one final fuck you before clambering up the staircase.

He moved back into the main area and turned to let her see his clean-shaven face. He raised an eyebrow at her his eyes saying “Your turn”.
………………………………………………………….

Martin

She began to move right away leaving Martin. He took off after her impressed that she had the sense to get moving. Already he could hear the police sirens down below beginning to move into the lobby and barking orders. He followed her onto the roof pausing to close the door and freeze it shut. They wouldn’t be getting through that way.

“I can follow” He told her when she asked about jumping “I have a hotel room a few blocks away and spare clothes on the roof follow my lead please”

He ran forward moving towards the direction. He jumped and then brought his gun down releasing a spray of super cooled ice that lifted him into the air. He used it as a makeshift double jump leap frogging over the roof as he led her to his hotel. A few minutes later he landed sliding to a stop as he turned to regard her.

“We should be safe here” He told her reaching out with his hand “My name is Martin… I have been looking for you. You are the one called wildfire no? Please to be meeting you”
 
Arianne resisted the urge to shout at her when she seemed disinterested. She was never known for her patience and ability to talk calmly about things. She was a woman of action someone who saw her target and ran at it full force. She was also a soldier used to giving and taking orders. No one gave her the order to go after the syndicate per say but she knew how important it was.

Still she couldn’t expect EVERYONE to feel that way.

So she took a deep steady breath and forced herself to relax. It wasn’t a no, not yet at least. It was an offer to spend the night that would allow them more time to get to know each other. That would have to be enough for her right now. She would use the time to wear her down and get her interested.

“That would be nice thank you” Arianne said nodding her head. Her mind flashed as she remembered the drive over here and her overall trip in general. She was technically smuggled into the country illegally brought on a boat with other women. It was… well hell for lack of a better term but it did give the Syndicate the slip.

“I suppose I should say thank you” She said giving a soft pretty smile “I know I probably came off as intense but I do thank you for letting me into your home you don’t see that kind of care anymore”
 
Avery grabbed the plate of biscuits and the two glasses and walked over to where Arianne was. She handed one glass over and offered the biscuits before settling into a lounge, her wings tucked up neatly to her back as she did.

"So, tell me, how did you find me? And why come all the way over here when there are other ex-Defenders that were far closer to home?" She asked, taking a drink from her own glass as her eyes took in the ragged state of the attractive woman. She looked tired; and not just from the journey.
 
“It wasn’t easy” Arianne admitted a faint blush staining her cheek as she contemplated her questions.

“Like I said the US military has been taken over by Syndicate. So when I found out my marines were being taken to a specific training facility I followed. I was able to get in given that I was a marine and knew these guys. That’s where I stole the tech that simulates powers and grabbed the current intel on the ex-defenders”

She paused to take a sip of her drink before leaning back and crossing her toned legs.

“Your listed on the roster as a non-combatant” She explained “I guess they know where you are but have no desire to mess with you at present. There were medical articles on you. Something about being able to replicate your powers? Seems to be connected to that shady Trask company the syndicate works with”
 
Raven

He looked a little better, more like himself than the wastrel he was becoming. A little bit more and he may even resemble the man she met years ago. Her tablet was set aside once more, though her mood was less than welcoming at the interruption. She had mountains of paper work to do and orders to fill.

"On the table." Growled out, nodding to the two sets of keys. "Addresses are on the tags. Take your pick or use both, I don't care." One set was to a warehouse at the docks, the other was opposite end of the city in the outskirts. "One is used, was used." Sighing a little, she sat up to grab his glass of water and drank. "Times are tight right now, business is going to shit for everyone. So would be very appreciated if you get a bit more in gear. One is a large multi-level warehouse with lots of big doors and open space on the water's front. The other is an old horse farm, without any horses. Has room for small planes or even helicopters. Won't sell because of silly rumors it's haunted.." His glass were set back down as she gave him a quick look.

"Well go on!" Her hand moving as if to shoo him away, "And take your friends out there with you, I have real work to do." Muttering at her tablet, eyes back on figures, "No time to play with your admirer's out there.." Heels hit the table as she sunk into the over stuffed leather and back to ordering alcohol.
 
Jenna bit her lip as she watched Jack leave, knowing she was going to have a difficult time following him if she'd seen her camera flash. Her eyes scanned the room for any other options before they settled on Raven, the club owner. A smile slowly formed on her face. Jackpot. Bartenders and club owners were always valuable sources of information for her, and they were how she found the club in the first place. If anyone knew something about the heroes, it would be her. The only issue was getting the information out of her.

Taking a deep breath, she got to her feet, glancing over her shoulder to make sure the bouncer wasn't watching as she made her way towards the woman on the tablet. As she got closer, she saw how scantily clad the woman was and inhaled sharply, her eyes lingering longer than what was probably appropriate. A bit self conscious, she glanced down at her own outfit, feeling a bit more like a schoolgirl than a reporter. A blush crept over her cheeks, but she slid into the seat across from the woman, placing her satchel on the table in front of her and opening up the laptop.

Despite her troubles of looking people in the eyes, she managed, sticking out a hand for Raven to shake. "Jenna Roberts. You must be Raven Hunter? I'm a reporter from the New York Times. I was hoping to do a piece on your nightclub." She smiled warmly, waiting for Raven to shake her hand.

Suddenly, she was yanked to her feet by Johnny, who's hands moved over her, checking for any weapons. "Okay, is this seriously necessary?" She asked, glaring over her shoulder at him before he moved to look in her bag.
 
Last edited:
Raven

Movement caught her attention, eyes lifting from the figures and forms to watch.. A mouse! A damned Librarian of a mouse just bold as brass waltz into her VIP and sit down across the low round table. John not far behind, her body guard stepped up and put a meaty hand on the mouse's shoulder, took the girl's bag and rifled through.

"Boss?" His deep tone asked in a very unfriendly manner, for instruction. Raven watched as John searched and found nothing more than what appeared to be a mace sprayer and some feminine goods. He towered over the uninvited guest, but he towered over most everyone, even a few inches over Jack. Why she kept John around.. That and he's hot as hell too, military trained and an excellent marksman.

"Search her." Came the cool tone but the smile was anything but sweet. A wicked little gleam in her eye as she watched John bully the Mouse to stand on her dainty little feet and begin to search Jenna. How the hell did she get this far into Tartarus? Wasn't this little mouse chasing Jack? The audaciousness, the balls made Raven sit up and set the tablet aside, the grin growing as she watched Body guard man-handle little Miss Jenna Roberts.

"You sure it's the Times? You look more like a teen writer than The Times.." She new it was a bit catty to poke at the mouse but the whole .. outfit was just down right.. Mousey! Good lord, what was little miss sunshine doing here? No one who looked like her ventured into these waters. Rapists, murderers, the mob, the sindicate.. So many corrupt sick fucks out side those doors.

"John make sure no one else arrives today, we're closed until opening hours."

"Why are you really here, Miss Roberts?" Asked bluntly, not buying into this interview bull. It stank of utter bullshit.. Rolling Stones sure.. But Times? After the bounty on Jack's head seemed the most fore-gone conclusion, and she did not fail to notice the blushing peeps from Miss Roberts' wandering eye. "Come." She did then motion to the cushion Jenna had been seated on not but a few moments ago. Now that John had his hands off the little mouse, she could probe Jenna for the truth.
 
Jenna's blush grew deeper when she saw Raven grinning at her, part of her wondering if it was a mistake. She could just tell them the interview was over and walk right through those doors. Her eyes glanced at the exit, but she stayed put. She'd decided before she walked through those doors she wasn't leaving until she got what she wanted.

Jenna looked up at the ceiling as he continued his search, shoving him back when he frisked the back of her skirt. "Seriously? What do you think I'm gonna do? Attack her?" She scoffed, looking him over. "I'm not an idiot, and I don't go around getting in fights with strangers. Are we done?" She raised an eyebrow, clearly not one to take things lying down.

"And you look like you just went on a shopping spree at Hot Topic," She smirked at Raven's insult, opening her wallet and sliding her press badge and ID towards her. Truthfully, she liked the woman's outfit, the way it showed off all of her features to perfection. But she couldn't let the insult go without one of her own. "Feel free to read some of my articles online after I leave. I graduated from Emerson's with honors," she leaned back, looking the woman over, trying to appear more confident than she felt. "I thought you'd be more appreciative. It's free advertising in the paper for you if I write something nice," she smiled sweetly before looking up at Johnny. "Dirty Shirley Temple please."

She hesitated for a moment before sliding into the chair, looking the woman over as she pulled out a recording device, turning it on. She considered telling the truth, but first she needed to know that this was someone she could trust. "So, Miss Hunter, how is your business handling the rise in crime and rumours of vigilantes in this neighborhood?" She asked, ignoring her question. Jenna's inquiry was unusual, considering the great deal of censorship coming from the government at the moment. All articles regarding crime in the newspaper had to give a positive outlook about the government protecting the people and the fine job the police were doing.
 
Last edited:
Avery frowned. She figured that she would have been on some Syndicate list of some sort, but hearing that someone had used one to find her was alarming. Thankfully, as Arianne told her, it was good that they considered her non-combative. It was true, of course, she had always been more of a peace keeper than a trouble-maker.

"Replicate my powers?" She mused, lips twisting further into a frown as she swirled her water around in her glass. "Except for the wings, my powers were an accident. That said, I suppose it isn't impossible. They are not really linked to my DNA as such-" Avery stopped then, shaking her head and looking a little sheepish. Arianne was not here to her her musing. But there was something else interesting about the situation.

"Did you happen upon the location of any of the other Defenders?" Avery asked, looking over at the beautiful women appraisingly.
 
Chao

The long haired youth had just finished the last of his beer when he saw Jack leave the VIP room. He must have shaved while he was gone, because now his face was clear of the scraggly stubble that had covered it previously. It made him look more like the hero that Chao remembered.

Chao stood up and walked to meet him in the middle of the room. He had noticed the funny looks he had been getting from the people working in the club and he wanted to leave as soon as possible.

"So, any news?" he asked Jack.
 
Raven

So the little mouse had some claws. Cute. Jab for jab, but if the reporter actually knew her well enough, she'd know better than to try and order or blackmail Raven. Still.. It did not hurt to have a reporter in the loop. Her cameras caught Jack and the other new arrival leaving through a side door, not failing to notice the sharpness in Jack's features, his eyes. A little smile did lift, watching until they were gone and door closed before she turned back to Jenna.

"When is the last time you read any truths in any news?" She asked in a low growl, shifting forward to rest a forearm on top of crossed knees. She waited until a waitress dropped off the drink to Jenna, the waitress to meld back into the shadowed interior before continuing.

"Smear campaign after lies, after bullshit, piled on top with cute painted news anchors or latest Hollywood twits' latest charity no one has ever heard of.. headlining bullshit printed, written or blathered out night after night." She rolled her eyes, shaking her head with a scoff, "News! HA!" She shift back again, "The syndicate runs wild, as do any of the other law breaking masses do, mean while they smear any who would try and fix this shit hole of a world." She fell quiet, taking the glass of water up Jack had left behind, drinking as she pinned Jenna with both eyes.

"But if you listen to the news, crime rates are at an all time low! Murderer has gone down twenty percent!" She said with a falsetto of happiness, "And Infinity Man was stopped in his tracks! Killed for the city terror that he was.." She fell quiet, a finger lift to jab in Jenna's direction, "Tell me your news is real and I will sell you beach-front property in Colorado." Her smirk came with those words, Raven was no moron and certainly didn't believe in fairy tales.

"What makes you think anyone gives a shit, Miz Jenna? What makes you believe even if you did write it and I did tell you what you wanted to hear, it would ever see print in it's pure form?" A brow lift in question, hand twirling the ice within the water around and around, "If they print it at all?"
 
Jenna sat back in her chair, sipping the sweet drink calmly before setting it down. "Just the right amount of grenadine," she grinned before raising an eyebrow. "Well, there is one food critic in the times who always recommends some really great restaraunts. I think he tells the truth, most of the time at least." She laughed softly, popping one of the cherries in her mouth.

" And how many pretty news reporters have you had coming to your club asking real questions? Well, I mean, I'm pretty cute, but I'm more than just a pretty face," she grinned, sliding off her blazer and taking off the beanie, revealing wavy red hair and white button up blouse. She was clearly making herself at home, not planning on leaving anytime soon.

"Hmmm, Syndicate? I haven't heard that name in years," she leaned in closer, sipping through the straw until it made a noise that told her it was empty. She waved for the bartender again, smiling up at her. "Just a regular Shirley Temple. No alcohol this time," she smiled, popping the last cherry in her mouth.

She hesitated for a moment, looking the woman over as she debated showing her what she had, before finally opening the Tor browser on her computer and typing something in before moving to slide in next to Raven with her laptop, there legs pressed against each other. "Ever since WikiLeaks all those years ago, journalists have been going to the dark web for sources, and now for publishing."

She scrolled through the webpage, with multiple entered, written by someone called "Minnie_Mouse". Headlines discussed rising crime, government corruption, information on the Syndicate, and possible evidence of superhero activity. "Journalism isn't dead, Raven. It's just gone underground," she smiled, leaning back in her seat as she scrolled through, most articles with more than two hundred comments
 
Raven

"How many reporters come to Tartarus?" She laughed at that, "Why would I care, that is an important question you should be asking." Looking at the virgin drink being delivered with a scrunch of her nose, distaste. "How can you drink that mess?" Asked with genuine curiosity as it looked horrible, only to fall silent as the little thing began to shed her armor and came closer.

What the?

She shift to one side, turning enough to lean back and watch as little Jenna came right on over, uninvited and sat her little ass down RIGHT THERE! Just, right there.. Touching! What the hell was going through this reporter's head? She actually growled at Jenna, blue eyes narrowing on the little mouse, debating whether to bite or play nice.

Who the hell touched her without permission!? Bold little chick..

Those narrowed eyes did turn finally from red's profile to the lap top screen. "How many subscribers?" She asked, her mood shifting as the possibilities clicked within her conscious mind. "I keep my business out of the papers for a reason, but what about spilling it through your dark web that the good guys are reforming instead of what boring business my club does?" A cat like smile crept over her features, fingers moving down to pluck at Red's little blouse, "That is a worthwhile story, isn't it?"
 
Jenna swallowed nervously when she heard the growl, raising her hands defensively before turning back to her screen. "You know, for someone so cute, you're kind of a jackass," she laughed, offering the drink and a cherry. "Are you kidding? It's like liquid candy! I live on this stuff." Despite calling her a jackass and the insult earlier, she sounded playful, not angry.

"Two thousand subscribers and counting. I get new ones everyday. Most of them have secured emails that'll delete everything if the password is wrong. I've bounced my ip over every continent except Antarctica, and my security is top notch. I've been running this for three years without problems," she smiled proudly, her grin widening when she saw Raven's interest. "See, now you're happy I plopped my butt down in your bar!"

Her eyes went wide at the information that Raven presented to her, leaning in closer as she grabbed a pen and pad from her satchel. A slight blush crept over her cheeks as the woman's fingers toyed with her blouse, but for the moment she ignored it. "Okay, how the hell do you know that? Is Jack Kirby a friend of yours? Is he one of them? Which ones survived the attack?" Raven was barraged with questions by the excited reporter, who glanced towards your computer. "I... I'll get the word out, maybe see if I can reach out to a couple of the ones I've been tracking. I don't have names yet, but I'm close."

Suddenly, she realized how close she'd gotten in her excitement, laughing nervously as she looked up at the clubowner before popping another cherry in her mouth and sipping her drink.
 
“I have a hotel room a few blocks away and spare clothes on the roof follow my lead please”

Alexis had nodded in agreement then watched as the huge ice covered man had ran forward, catapulting himself into the air and using icy blasts from the gun he carried to keep himself adrift as he jumped from roof to roof. She followed close behind him as he lead the way, her eyes keeping a close look out for any signs that they were being followed. She lagged behind only once to go retrieve her purse that she’d stashed on the nearby rooftop and then circled back around to follow him again. It wasn’t long until they had reached the hotel that he’d spoken of. She made a quick circle in the air above the rooftop while he slid to a stop, looking once more for any signs that they had been spotted or followed or that he might have some kind of ambush planned. Seeing none she went ahead and landed as he turned and introduced himself.

“We should be safe here” He told her reaching out with his hand “My name is Martin… I have been looking for you. You are the one called wildfire no? Please to be meeting you”

She reached out and shook his offered hand politely, her small and delicate hand seeming even more so in comparison as it was engulfed by his much larger one. She did her best to suppress the shiver that ran through her as her incredibly warm palm met his ice covered one.

“Pleased to meet you,” she replied, neither confirming nor denying that she was Wildfire or giving him her name in return and keeping her hood up around her face, “You’ll have to forgive me, Martin. While I appreciate you helping me out back there, one can never be too careful these days.”

She might be a little more out of the loop after the fall of the Defenders and having to go incognito due to the Keane act, but she still had her connections and even she had heard about the Syndicate’s takeover of Russia. How did she know that this guy hadn’t been sent by them? It could all very well be some kind of a ruse to try and kidnap her or con her into joining them like they had when she was a teenager.

“Who are you exactly and what are you doing here?” she asked pointedly as she crossed her arms over her chest and peered up at him.
 
Raven

Idle fingers lift to play with a red curl so near little Jenna's ear, her smile lifting at the remark of being an asshole. "When you own as much property and businesses as I do, you have to be an epic asshole of the highest order." A finger tip curled about little red's ear, using her own red locks against her with the tickling touch.

"Jack Kirby.. Business partner, of a sense.. Fuck buddy on our down time. You interested in Jack, 'lil red?" Teased in a soft purr tone near Jenna's ear. Raven's body curved and rolled to one hip, putting herself that much closer to Jenna and watching the young lady squirm. She were maybe a few years older than Jenna, but far more worldly in experience.. Judging by the mouse's blushes and hastened glances to and from Raven's partially covered form.

"The Defenders place was blown to rubble.. but I have heard Infinity Man's looking to come out of retirement and save the assholes of this planet once more. Guess he is bored or feeling charitable?" Her smile lift, a pure predator's inspection as Raven let loose a curl and tugged at the blouse's collar once more. "You should visit Hot Topic yourself and stop hiding in this librarian's garb.. It doesn't suit you, Red." Her eyes moving to her watch, she had time still to play but not a whole lot of it. "You should be careful to linking yourself to known Defenders or even interviewing Sindicate members. They are not above using one such as yourself against the other side. Sharp minds and some have skills unheard of.." Her finger tip traced along that profile and jaw line until their eyes might meet once more, "some are said to be able to read thoughts of another."

She shift then, changing the subject back to a more enjoyable conversation, "Jack and I often invite a curios girl or two to join us.." Smiled, intentionally moving to a subject that would make Jenna blush or squirm at it's sexual insinuations. "Come by for drinks later, or linger until closing time tonight.. I am sure Jack will be here after one."
 
Jack Kirby

The young man asked if he had any news and he couldn’t help but laugh. It was… nice to be with someone a little more youthful. The passion and drive he had to move forward emboldened Jack. They stepped out onto the streets of New York City and Jack showed him the address.

“Time to go pick a place to set up shop” Jack said eyeing the two addresses. He finally decided on the warehouse and reached out to hail a cab.

“Keep your head down though” Jack warned looking around “New York’s one of THEIR towns after all”

The cab slid to a stop in front of them and Jack opened the door. He waited for the young man to get in and after sliding in himself gave the address to the cabbie. He settled back as they drove giving the kid a look that said stay quiet. He didn’t speak again until the Cab turned off the main road and went down a dirt covered path by the waterfront.

“It’s no tower” Jack murmured giving the warehouse a once over. It was dilapidated to say the least but was out of the way.

It would have to do for now.

“Keep the change” Jack said handing a few crumpled bills to the man and opening his door “Come along kid”

Jack started walking not bothering to see if the young man was following him. He reached the double doors and opened them wincing as the sound of rusting metal against metal screamed out. He got the door open enough to duck inside and entered the damp moldy smelling building.

“Oh how far we have fallen” Jack said looking around at the messy room. He felt his excitement and drive beginning to deflate as he lamented the situation. Five years ago he had a tower in the bay of New York. A friggin super hero designed it! Now…. Now his new headquarters had RATS.

RATS!

“Better role up your sleeve kid” Jack said pulling off his coat “Raven is going to put out the call so until then we are on clean up duty”
………………………………………………………
Martin

When she asked him who he was and what his interest in her was he smiled. He did his best not to chuckle remembering somewhere that Americans sometimes felt they were being laughed at. He reminded himself to offer her a shot of Vodka later to cement their new partnership.

“I understand the worry” He said reaching out and placing a hand on her shoulder. For the first time since the experiment he felt warmth ACTUAL warmth. It was enough to cause him to groan ever so slightly. He quickly moved his hand away feeling a bit embarrassed as he regarded her.

“My home was taken over by the syndicate” Martin explained “My government in shambles the syndicate was responsible. I am a patriot but I am one super powered man. I have been trying to track down the defenders of old ever since. I came across a tip you and your old commander Jack Kirby live here now. I came to find you both”
 
Jenna froze as a slender finger toyed with her hair, her eyes widening as they met Raven's, her heart racing as she set down her drink to focus on the older woman. She squirmed slightly, gripping the edge of her seat as she was extremely ticklish.

She swallowed nervously at the woman's bluntness, biting her lip as the woman moved even closer to her, their bodies suddenly pressed against one another. "Why do I get the feeling you like giving people nicknames?" She laughed softly, a shiver running down her spine at the seductive whisper in her ear. "Jack's not the one I'm interested in," she murmured, closing her eyes as she let one hand rest on Raven's hip.

She tried to write down Infinity Man's name, but the woman was extremely good at distracting her, making her drop the pencil when she was tugged closer by her blouse."He's alive?" She whispered before her cheeks turned a bright pink at the comment on her outfit, the rough tug undoing one of the buttons. "Not sure my office would like that very much," she murmured, trembling under the woman's touch. "Reporters have been jailed for publishing the truth since journalism began. I'm not scared," she said softly, leaning into the gentle touch along her jaw, her hand on Raven squeezing gently. "You worried for me? I'm touched," she said softly, sliding off her shoes under the table.

Jenna closed her eyes, biting her lip as her blush turned from pink to red, wondering if Raven could tell how fast her heart was pounding. "And what exactly would happen if I stayed?" She asked quietly, taking a deep breath before moving into Raven's lap, reaching up to let her hands explore her face, less predatory and more curious than Raven's playful fingers. She let a gentle hand run through Raven's long hair before reaching up to touch her cheek.
 
As he touched her shoulder, even through the fabric of her hoodie she could feel the slight chill. It reminded her of being back in her home town, back before she'd had the accident with the meteor and developed her powers, when after being outside for a long time on a hot southern summer day she'd finally head back inside her family's home and the air conditioning would suddenly hit her as she walked in, the sweet coolness washing over her heated body and making her sigh in relief.

She felt herself let out a soft breath at the same moment she heard his soft groan and he quickly removed his hand from her shoulder, causing her to look up at him in curiosity. She listened as he spoke of his problems with the Syndicate, but shook her head at his mention searching for the Defenders and coming to New York City to find her and the commander.

"I don't know who you got your tip from, but the last time anyone saw Jack Kirby he was trapped inside of the tower as it was crashing towards the bay," she explained, a sad look on her face at the memory.

"IF they were correct and he's alive, and that's a pretty big if, he obviously doesn't want to be found...same goes for me," she told him, "I'd like to see the Syndicate taken down just as much as you would, but like yourself I'm just one person. Even if the two of us teamed up it would still be like trying to nail jelly to a wall. Then there's that whole Keane act issue to worry about as well...I'm sorry comrade, but it looks like you came all this way for nothing."
 
His smile didn’t falter for even a second. He let her speak about what was going on nodding several times. He processed the information not dismissing it but simply waiting for her to finish speaking.

“I understand” He said after she finished “It is not my intention to force the issue. However if I may…. You joined a profession that puts you at the heart of danger. You responded to that danger using your powers. You clearly have not lost your will to fight. I know for certain your old commander is alive. I know he lives in this city. I can help you find him and when we do we can all fight together”

He moved over to the edge of the building and let her dwell on that for a few seconds. He saw the police sirens from the next block over and allowed himself a moment of pleasure. He was a soldier but still it felt good to be the hero. He could feel the rush of it all and understood why so many with powers jumped to it. Perhaps one day he would get to be a hero himself.

After the war was won

“I will do this with or without you” He said turning to her “I hope you join me though. You are good a warrior in your own way. I do not believe you want to sit on the side lines forever.”
 
Her profession? How did he know about that? She hadn't mentioned anything about her job to him.

She glanced down and noticed that the zipper of her hoodie had fallen down a bit as she'd been flying to his hotel and revealing part of the logo on the shirt she wore for her 911 dispatcher uniform underneath. She quickly pulled it back up, making a mental note to be more careful when out crime fighting with her work clothes on.

He was right though, she had chosen the job because it kept her close to the action. Just because she couldn't be a Defender anymore didn't mean that she'd stopped wanting to help others, to fight against those in the world that tried to do harm. But going after the Syndicate...she still wasn't sure.

No one wanted to see them gone more than her. They'd lied to her and basically kept her hostage for almost a year under false pretenses while they trained her and tried to turn her into a weapon for them! Even more, it was because of them that she could never go home or try to get in touch with her folks. No more Syndicate meant that she'd finally be able to see her family again. Still, it wouldn't be helping anyone if she bit off something bigger than she could chew and wound up dead or captured. The Syndicate was just too powerful to try and take on alone.

He caught her attention though when he insisted again that he knew the commander was alive and living in the city. Could it true? Was it really possible that he had survived somehow? Deep in thought, she watched Martin out of the corner of her eye as he walked over to the edge of the building and stared off into the distance for a few moments before turning and looking at her again.

“I will do this with or without you” He said turning to her “I hope you join me though. You are good a warrior in your own way. I do not believe you want to sit on the side lines forever.”

She bristled, his words igniting a spark within her.

"Good...in my own way?" she scoffed, "Honey, I'm more than good. I was a Defender! I'm one of the best!"

She stopped and shook her head at herself.

"I can't believe I'm actually considering this," she murmured under her breath before moving and joining him by the edge of the building.

"Fine. I'll join you," she told him finally, "But ONLY if we are able to find the commander, and ONLY if he is willing to help."
 
Martin

Martin didn’t say anything as she contemplated the situation. He let her think about it and decide not wishing to impede on her decision making. Everything he said was from the heart and true. The syndicate were gaining more and more each day. They were using the Traxis company to further there twisted goal of making their own super powered men. The world itself was stable yes but under the surface things were reaching a tipping point. The signs were all there spelling out a loud warning.

And it would be up to people like him to rally the guard both old and new. Those who fought before like her would have to gather and fight again. If she said no he would stay true to his word and accept it. However he would let her know how to contact him if she ever changed her mind. He didn’t think she would say no not when she was still so eager to fight.

Then she answered him.

She said yes… well more said fine. A small came across that cold face as she gave her stipulations. He couldn’t help but chuckle at her unwillingness to totally commit. He knew he had her but he didn’t want to make her feel like she didn’t have a choice.

“I understand” He said nodding at her “I know the commander is here based on syndicate reports I have grabbed they are currently searching the city for him. They have sent a man under the code name Poison to find him. We must work fast however I do not know the commander. Where might he go?”
 
She asked if she learned the location of any other defenders and Sheila shook her head. Her memories flashed of her brief insert into the Syndicates base. Her time in the base was limited and it was mostly trying not to freak out. She was used to such kind of missions but not surrounded by people who KNEW her. The data she managed to get was limited and mostly revolved around the suit she found and stole from them.

“Most of what I found related to the Trask company” Sheila explained nibbling on the biscuits as they talked “They and the syndicate seem to have a major hard on for replicating your lots powers. The only reason I got your location was because they were studying your unique power set.”

A few loose bits of crumb dribbled down onto her simple tank top and she brushed it off with a well-manicured hand. She took a sip of the tea to wash down the dry biscuits and then rose to go look out the window. After so many months running and sneaking to get here she was wary. The syndicate was after her mostly to get there tech back. It was their first attempt to replicate powers and the full use of the suit was still unknown to her.

“I have heard a rumor though” Sheila said turning “While I was trying to get to you I found… other people who are running from the syndicate. You and your old team are something of a call to arms and rally point for them. According to them your old commander still fights the syndicate and they are currently hunting him. Someone said New York City but I don’t know him enough to track him down. I was hoping WE could”
 
Back
Top