Hint Fiction

Modern Fiction

It's an old story: unrequited love, filial madness, skeletons jangling in the closets, generations asunder, war raging blindly and the plumber can't come till Thursday.

I've offered an Olive branch and had no reply. Does this mean your forgiveness tree grows from a different root stock than mine?

He smiled when he sat down. She stayed two stops past home to be near him but stared out the window instead of saying hello.

He started several notes to her, declaring his love. Though clumsily worded, they were honest.

Then finally he noticed the ring on her left hand.

He started several notes to her, declaring his love. Though clumsily worded, they were honest.

Then finally he noticed the ring on her left hand.

Inappropriate

He noticed the ring on her left hand.

Then he started several notes to her, declaring his love. Though clumsily worded, they were honest.

(Forgive me for borrowing every single word in your piece, Tzara. :))

Last edited:
Mad cackle

Their house is ablaze, they notice, heart wrenched.

Meanwhile, Cedric the turtle makes its escape into the family pool, a spent match discarded.

Mamihlapinatapai

She was very, very beautiful, and she smiled invitingly at him. He smiled back, and thought about approaching her, but she was very, very beautiful.

Don't make 'em like we used to

Tap, tap—a pistol on my window. "Get outta the car!"

I leave, hands up. They don't.

Gotta teach 'em to use the automatic gear.

True story, as of an hour ago. *sigh*

Thoughtful check in

He opens a message from his internet friend.

"Hi there! I'm sorry to say that we won't be talking anymore—I find myself slightly dead. Cheers!"

Thank you, butters. :)

Rationalization

He chambers a round, takes careful aim and fires; lilly pads and pieces of flesh splatter the landscape. Water drains from a punctured liner. Damn Bullfrogs, ruined my koi pond.

Last edited:
I watch as he hooks another with his bait, he can't seem to do a thing wrong until he hits them, he goes fishing again

I watch as he hooks another with his bait, he can't seem to do a thing wrong until he hits them, he goes fishing again

Will he soon return from the aether? I've missed his easy smile, the care with which he chooses words and plants them in sprawling lines.

*private joke*

'It's all done with mirrors,' he said; looking at the bump on his head, i feared for the mirror... dabbed something cool on his swelling.

Modern Fiction

It's an old story: unrequited love, filial madness, skeletons jangling in the closets, generations asunder, war raging blindly and the plumber can't come till Thursday.

I smile every time I pass this

Birthday-go-round

If he hadn't promised the kid, there was no way he’d have still been on the carousel. At least, he remembered to take his Dramamine.

I string your bow, fingers draw tension, exhale into release,
hiss as loosed arrow pierces the air and plunges in the target.

Last edited:
I string your bow, draw tension to your string, exhale into release,
hiss as loosed arrow pierces the air and plunges into the target.
not sure about the use of string twice here, tods, but overall it's delicious! the sounds, man - the visuals, too, but oooh the sounds :cool:

not sure about the use of string twice here, tods, but overall it's delicious! the sounds, man - the visuals, too, but oooh the sounds :cool:

I thought I deleted that before posting. Thanks for the heads up and the comment :D

Post card from the aether

Will he soon return from the aether? I've missed his easy smile, the care with which he chooses words and plants them in sprawling lines.

Theme parks, swimming pools, time to chill out
lost and doubled back too many times to count
home beckons
warm comfort and routines

Here we go again, jam me in, use me till full and discard
your emotional tampon

Back