Down Into The Depths (IC)

This posting was co-written with MausAss.


Alysa nodded to herself with acceptance that she only got a nod from the captain accepting her services. He was a man of power and more than likely didn't care or believe in the aspects that a female wasn't worth her weight in combat, and more than likely, to a degree, he felt her place was servicing the home life that most mountain women did. Either way she wasn't answering his call she was answering the king's call.

Stepping outside the wind instantly cut into her forcing her to wrap the cloak tighter around her body. Her eyes lifted upwards surveying the heavy clouds with dread setting in for they looked extremely heavy. She hoped that they would not have to travel up into the mountains for this mission but wherever it sent them, she would go for a few gold coins.

Ravin wanted to walk up to Mara as they left the inn, but first he wanted to make sure what intentions the so called “knight” had. He slowed down his steps so he could walk besides her.

Her attention was diverted to the man that was accompanying the foreign female for he was slowing his walk and falling behind the woman he was cantering to in the inn. Her eyes surveyed him cautiously, as she does with all strangers. Her brow raised above her eye as he matched her pace and was walking next to him. She felt unease about him but ignored it for the moment. She looked over at him waiting for him to explain his movement.

“I’m Ravin,” he said, he had planned to ask her what she was doing on this mission, but somehow it ended with him introducing himself.

A smirk formed upon her face when he introduced himself to her. She wondered what he really wanted so she decided to play the game for nothing more than entertainment if it did not lead to something else. "Hi Ravin," her smirk still upon her face as she knew what was needed of her, "Alysa" she responded in common courtesy.

A pretty name, he thought and he couldn’t avoid noticing how beautiful she was and she didn’t show the contempt for him he had expected. Still she had an aura around her that told people to stay away and he had no doubt she could use the sword. She would be a dangerous foe, if it ever came to that. Ravin decided that if Alysa was going to be on this mission it would be better to try to know her intention a bit better. He knew there had been some troubles within the order, but not much more than that. There were rumors that some knights had abandoned the order. If Alysa was one of them then maybe there still was some hope for her salvation, but he wasn’t going to take any chances.

“What are you doing here, “knight”? What is your mission?” Ravin asked, not being able to hide his contempt for her order.

"What am I doing here?" she re-asked his question in a quizzical tone, "I'm here answering a call from the king. The same as most of us here, we want to earn some money. Isn't that right noblemen?" she assumed this by how he carried himself when the captain called of volunteers the look on his face was one of duty. She remained silent for a moment but then responded to the harsh tone he used. "It would be best for you to drop this discontempt for the Order. Having a distraction can be fetal." she looked at him with a serious gaze.

“The order is evil. You are a distraction. I don’t trust you, if you stay away from our business we will stay away from yours.” Ravin said, he knew he was the one who had started the fight but her order only respected power and he wasn’t going to show more weakness than he had too. He realized she was right, even now his contempt for the order was distracting his thoughts and he had heard of a schism within the order. If she was one of them who had left the order, he was willing to give her a chance.

Alysa tilted her head slightly as she locked her gaze upon him. "As I recall, you fell back to me. If you wish distance I suggest you correct your pace and stay with your charge!" she eyed him heavily. "If you wish to say something to get it off your chest instead of these empty threats please get it said before we get to our destination. For once we are there I believe our business is the same do you not? "

“I know what you’re order are capable off. If you’re one of them I don’t see how I can ever trust you. Your order have killed and raped and only because of your strength have you been allowed to remain. I’m not going to allow you to do anything like that to anyone. The only reason I came to talk to you was because I’m willing to give you a chance… I’ve heard there was a schism in the order. Are you still with them?” he asked.

She looked away from him and remained silent. Her mind swirled about in search of the right wording. "Yes and No... If I can link up with the knights of old then yes I am one. If you are talking about the murderous, raping knights of the young breed no I am not. But at this moment I am a knight of the old first Order." she liked her answer for she has found her mission, to rebuild the Order on the old merits.

"So Ravin, what is the story that you yield from? And what of her?" her head gesture goes toward the Foreign woman. Her gaze remained on the woman as she waited for Ravin’s story to unfold to her.

Ravin suddenly wished he had paid more attention to his history lessons. The order hadn’t always been bad and if he remembered correctly it wasn’t until the king disbanded or betrayed them somehow that they started to turn bad. Still her answer didn’t make him much wiser. She did say that she didn’t want to be a part of the murdering and raping. He knew he was naive and too trusting, but he still up ended up believing her. He was still going to keep an eye on her just in case his instincts were wrong.

“Okay let’s say I believe you. Do you know what it takes to be a knight? You have to do the right thing even when it hurts, because you are part of something bigger than just yourself. The strength of a knight does not only lie with his skill with the sword, the character is just as important. A knight is willing to sacrifice his life it helps the greater good. Have you met a member of the first order able to think anyone but themselves? Are you different? Are you a real knight?

As for you question, I’m just an insignificant son of a noblemen living my last days in freedom until my honor brings me back to do my duty. Honor can be a heavy burden.

Mara is strong, willful beautiful and more capable than you think. She knows how to survive. The little I know of her past is not for me tell you about. The important question is if I can I trust you?”

She stops in her tracks as rage rushes to her face. She whirls to face him, anger flared in her eyes, "Do I know what a knight is!" she barks at him and steps forward, "Your kind of Knight or mine? Your kind is a daddy Baron giving silver spoons to their sons and calls them a Knight! My kind of a Knight rides into a horde of Barbarians that have been scavenging the lands and when a King gets worried about his lands, he sends out five hundred knights to stop a five thousand man horde and then when these knights get surrounded he pulls his regular army back instead of sending them forward. Those knights fought and died for each other the last Knight standing gave his life to a ten year old squire so she could live another day!" tears filled her eyes as she continued, "That same ten year old girl returns home to find out that a silver spoon Knight takes over the Order. He manages to have other silver spoon knights at his side, and then that squire falls victim to their rape herself, for seven years, she trains so one day she could free herself from them. She plans, befriends others to help her, then one day the Order falls to a civil war where this squire girl kills the one that claimed her and the one that trained her. There were others that I had to kill as well to even the battle, but still the odds were against us so I deemed it necessary to flee and fight another day. However, in her travels she comes victim to slavers and sold several times in which once again I killed the ones that bound me and freed all. I'm at this time wanted by the slavers Guild of black moor. So yes I know what a knight is! It's surely not a silver spoon decor of a Barony!" her words fueled by, the anger within her.

She backs away from him and allows herself to take in deep breaths, her eyes still red and wet with tears. "I shall go back and claim the name of the Order, but only when the time is right." she looks at him with a lesser tone of anger. "As for your girlfriend, I really do hope she can take care of herself for your type will bring harm to her and if she isn't up to it because she is busy ogling you! She is good as dead!"

Alysa turns and starts to walk along with the group, but before she gets the chance Ravin stops her.

“I’m sorry for all the horrible things you had to suffer. I can’t imagine what that must’ve been like, but those were no real knights. Those who saved you that day were, they died for a noble cause. Those were true knights and if you want to restore those values to the order then I want to help you. I want to make sure something like that never happens again. I’ve seen the destruction the Oeder has caused and I was afraid you were one of them. I want to stop them as much as you do and for the same reason. No one willing to do what they did to you should be called a knight. It goes against everything I stand for, everything any knight should stand for. I am nothing like those knights you’ve met; I am not your enemy. I would never do what those knights did to you, not to anyone and I would stop anyone who would,” Ravin said. He wanted to say that he would never hurt Mara, but he was afraid he might. It wouldn’t be in the way Alysa thought though and it would hurt him just as much as it would hurt her.

“I am willing to give you a chance, if you’re willing to give me a chance,” Ravin said putting out his hand for Alysa to take. Her story had moved him and although he knew she was far from the little girl who had been raped and forced to kill for her own freedom, he still wanted to save that little girl behind her dark eyes. He wanted to show her there was still goodness in this world.

Alysa's red, wet orbs looks up and over from her gaze upon the group to his face as he spoke to her. Tears welters from her eyes down her cheek to the cold ground below. The emotions of a lifetime bottled up inside of her Breaks free from her control. She wipes the tears away quickly before more could fall. She regains the control over her emotions before speaking to him. Her eyes looking down at his extended hand. "I ..." she stops knowing that she could not continue the hard core life that she has been living for years now. She was tired of traveling the path alone. She also knew that if she was going to rebuild and reestablish the Orders reputation she could not do it alone.

She takes his hand into hers, knowing that the knights brace of honor has not been earned by either of them to each other. She loos at him and nods, "So be it then. If your heart is set with your tongue I accept your offer in restoring the Order." she releases his and and looks at the group. "We need say no more, but focus on the task before us. Our words can be exchanged later as we need to catch up with the others." she nods to him before resuming her place with the group.

The task of following wasn't hard for Alysa, what was hard was how easy this man opened her up! Her eyes shot over to him several times on the travel to the palace and each time she felt this pull from him. Was it just that he understood her and felt her pain or was it more. She shook her head and placed the thought in its place. She has just been alone for a long time.

The court yard was a welcome for now her mind could focus upon the mission at hand and not Ravin. Although see cought herself looking at him and then to Mara, wondering if what he said was the whole story. She doubt it was but in time that shall surface. She refocused upon what was going on...
 
The cold, the thin air, the blowing snow - Caelen had seen all this little kingdom had to offer except for one: in his entire career, he never got to see the castle. The rest did not faze him one bit. The castle, on the other hand was a sight to behold. Throughout is entire military career, he never had the pleasure of being at the house of the king. He did not know whether to be scared or impressed.

Remembering he was not alone, he looked to the others who had answered the call. At least Alysa had started talking to the nobleman, effectively (and somewhat thankfully) leaving him alone. He would work with these people if needed to, but he was not interested in their companionship. Once their mission was complete and he had his gold, he was in the wind.
 
Mara had been so caught up with moving up through the city, that she did not notice when Ravin moved away from her. As they entered the courtyard, she glanced back to see him shaking hands with the female knight; the very female knight that he had advised her to avoid. Well, well, that did not last long. She felt a twinge of jealousy and kicked herself in the rear for it. One almost, accidental kiss and she was thinking about Ravin differently. "What a little idiot you are Mara", she muttered, as she followed the captain up the stairs.

Soon they were moving through the halls of the palace itself. The door lead into a giant entry hall, with imported marble columns and a rich red rug. The captain lead them off to the right, through a pair of double doors, into another hallway. It had gold inlaid walls and polished wooden floors. It was obvious that the palace was less about defense, at this point anyway, than about opulence.

The captain halted them outside a double door as tall as two men, and inlaid with ornate carvings. "Stay here for a moment." He ordered, before passing through the doors.

Mara fell back to look at the two others in their party, besides Ravin. The rough, hunter did not look friendly or inviting, nor did the lady knight, despite the slight redness around her eyes. Still, she had to try.

Mara looked at each of them and gave a halfhearted wave. "Hi ya, I'm Mara. Guess we're going to be working together." She longed to ask Ravin why the sudden change of heart about the knight, but did not want to have the lady overhear them. It would have to wait until later.
 
Ravin felt relieved when Alysa shook his hand and he felt like he could trust her, but as he speed up his walking to catch up with Mara he couldn’t help but questioning his decision. How would he explain this to Mara. “Even though she belongs to an order known for their evil ways and are known masters of deceit she told me she wasn’t like the others and I decided to trust her.” It sounded foolish even to his own ears. Maybe his heart wanted to believe her and he was making actually a huge mistake. He had to account for everything.

One of his friends who Ravin had looked up to growing up had joined the First Order 8 years ago and had even tried to recruit him at a later point. Bernard had told Ravin how he loved the lack of rules and moral within the order. How his position granted him opportunities to do whatever he wanted without consequences. It had hurt Ravin seeing his friend being corrupted by the order and each time they met he had become worse and there had been nothing Ravin could say to change his mind.

He hated what the order had done to his friend and he hated himself for not being able to stop it and he hated Bernard for what he had become. He was cruel, arrogant and charming and one of only two people Ravin considered more skilled with a sword than himself. There were many more he considered his equal, but only Bernard and his old Sword Master felt like a tier above him. Maybe he was trying to save Alysa because of his friend, or of guilt for what Bernard might’ve done to her. Ravin noticed Alysa stealing glances at him and couldn’t help feeling it was a good sign, that she was ready to change. The tall man besides Alysa was tall and slender and looked like he knew how to fight and Ravin didn't expect him to cause much troubles. He seemed more of a loner than the typical solider, but his face wasn't easy to read.

Ravin took a couple of long steps to catch up to Mara again. He felt that just being near her would ease his mind. He had been avoiding her ever since they danced and almost kissed and as he walked up to her he started to feel nervous again. He looked over at her and wanted to take her hand in his and… then what? Why couldn’t he just look at her straight, why were all these emotions coming up? Still being just near Mara was enough for his mood to brighten again. Somehow being near her had always been enough for his mood to brighten and maybe it actually was love her was feeling towards her.

"Hi ya, I'm Mara. Guess we're going to be working together."

“Hi, I’m Ravin,” he said and shook the hand of the solider, before giving Alysa a nod of recognition.

The solider introduced himself as Caelen and Alysa also introduced herself. Ravin could see that Mara wanted to ask him about Alysa, wondering why he changed his mind so quickly. He wished he had a good answer, but the truth was that he was a fool to trust her. Still he had to say something to her and he leaned down to whisper the answer in Mara’s ear.

“I’m a naive and stupid, but I wanted to give her a chance. I think she is different from the rest of her order,” Ravin whispered in Mara’s ear.

The smell of her almost drove him crazy and he wanted nothing more than to kiss her neck and forget about everything else, but instead he pulled away. He could see her looking at him, probably wanting a better explanation than the one he had given. The truth was that he had no better explanation. He had no reason to trust Alysa, but somehow he did anyway. Before he realized what he was doing he had grabbed Mara’s hand in his. Letting go of it would’ve been more awkward than to keep holding it and besides it felt right holding her hand. He needed this peaceful moment before the fighting would break out.
 
Last edited:
Alysa nodded her acquaintance to the oriental woman whom was identified as Mara. She was attractive and seemed a bit withdrawn but that could be the reaction of her having a long chat with her boyfriend. Alysa didnt want any trouble but she did for unknown reasons kept taking glances over at Ravin til he took Mara's hand as if telling her where he stood. She had a mix feelings about him, an uncertain feeling if he was one of those silver spoon knights or if he has actually stood up for his honor, something that only time will tell. She just hope that it comes out before the situation gets more in depth.


She pulled her gaze from them over to the other man who seemed distant now that he has figured her out and since she accompanied Ravin up here. She looked at him wondering if maybe they had a past history or if it was something else. Her brow rose over her eye as he stood off to the side. Yes her dealings with him wasn't the best but now after his bark of her being on this task he pulls this isolation tactic. One that will definately bring trouble. Shaking her head she walks over to him. Her eyes looking into his with an expression upon her face of what! "So you bark at me to join this task and now that I have you withdraw?" She almost comes to a regret upon saying that to him for she now feels this vibe that he is a loner, but she falls to a paradox on why would he join this group instead of doing to the king and giving his service as an individual hire unless he has been done wrong or have had a change of heart In which he is in a state of denial about.

She looked away from him but remained close to him. She was in the same boat as he but just on different level. She by choice didn't want to be alone but he was one that wanted to be but isn't. She chuckled at the irony of the situation. Oh and then there was the love birds that she hoped would not be this distracted with each other once the fighting commences.
 
Last edited:
Mara was taken aback by Ravin's proprietary gesture in holding her hand, but did not pull her hand away. Her feelings were still confused. She definitely loved him, but wasn't sure she was in love with him. Still, they would be soon parted, and allowing him the chance to hold her hand did not seem the worst thing possible, if it offered him some comfort. She wasn't even opposed to sharing his bed, and sharing warmth, but wasn't sure that he wouldn't become even more connected to her as a result, and so have a harder time when it was time to part. She sighed and simply let him hold on.

She noticed the other woman staring at the rough hunter and then go over and talk to him, with a dark expression. She did not quite here what was said, but hoped that their disagreement wasn't to deep. She did not want it interfering with the mission, whatever that was.

------------------------------

The king had ordered the adventurers brought into his presence, unwashed and in their full battle gear. Perus believed this to be a mistake. This was a matter that he, as captain of the guard, could have handled quietly. Now it was becoming a spectacle. As it was, the king was spending money he did not have on lavish parties and in consorting with common whores, instead of his official concubines.

"Are you sure you majesty." He said loud enough for only the king to hear. It was an offense to question the king, but he risked it anyway, for he had loved the man's father and could not stand to see him ruining the monarchy. The king simply glared at his, his beady eyes looking out from under a furrowed brow.

With a sigh, he backed away, until he was nearly at the entry door to the king's throne room, and then slowly opened the door, and gestured for the group to enter.

"Come in one at a time, telling me your name as you do so."

Mara stepped forward, pulling free from Ravin's hand. "Mara of Darvis."

A loud bass voice called out, "Mara of Darvis."

She entered nervously, unsure of what the etiquette was when meeting a king. The courtiers and common supplicant had parted down the middle, to allow them access to the throne. She resisted the impulse to look back over her shoulder at Ravin, as she headed down the long aisle.
 
They had entered through a back door and Ravin hadn’t noticed just where in the castle they were heading until the guard opened the door. The door was leading into the throne room, the very heart of the royal castle. The room was full of luxury and the king was wearing some very expensive clothes, but he didn’t seem to be in a very good mood.

He heard Mara call out her name and then hear it repeated this time by a loud bass voice, before the process got repeated this time with his own name. He had a hard time keeping his eyes away from the hypnotic movement of Mara’s hips. Ravin was very surprised that the king was taking care of this himself and it worried him, but it was too late to back out now.

As he got closer, he started to wonder whether the king was drunk or not. He had heard a lot of stories about the king. He could be very generous when he was in a good mood and very petty and cruel when he was in a bad mood. There was no doubt that he was in a bad mood now and they had to be careful not to anger him. Ravin could hear the names of the other getting called out as he approached the king. Soon they would know what the king wanted them to do.
 
"Come in one at a time, telling me your name as you do so."

The calling of the Guard brought Alysa's attention to bear upon the Captain as he stood at the doorway. His feature was striking now that more of him was seen in the brighter light of the palace over the mood light of the inn's common room. She stood fast when Mara entered and the expression of the Captain was obvious to all that looked upon him. The look was of this is just salt added to injury, a mistake calling for a rugged band of adventures to do a task that could be handled by him and a few good swords. She felt a little sting of shame for overstepping him, but this is what the king ordered. She lowered her head slightly as the guilt brought memories of past events of her humiliation by the hands of others. Yes, this sting was slightly less of a sting to him than what hers was, but it was still a slap in the face regardless.

She stopped just to the left side of the captain so she did not pass his line of stance. "Captain, with all due respect to you and your experience above mine I only cross this line in need of coinage. I do not question you or your men's ability. I salute you Captain." She steps up to his line of stance. "Alysa Branwraith, Knight of the first Order." She waited for her name to be announced before moving forward. Her stomach wasn't feeling so well now that her eyes fell upon the king. Memories flooded her mind as the past came to life in front of her eyes. The squire watching the Knights of old standing their ground even after being told that the king abanded them. They still yelled for the King! Now it was her turn to answer the call of the king as a Knight.

Her eyes darted over to Ravin and Mara as she ame to a stand beside them. She gave Ravin a small smile and a nod of her head. Then she glanced over to Mara taking in her beauty nw in the brighter light. She was very attractive and pleasing to look at, now she knew one thing that was pulling Ravin along this path of travel with her, obviously there was more but this was one true fact. She retook her gaze forward to the King and his lavish attire and only voiced her opinion to herself,"What a silver spoon we are!"
 
The king waited for the last of the adventurers to step forward, before starting to talk. His guards had pressed in to either side of him, to protect him. He was well aware that allowing them to come into his presence armed was against protocol, but then he was the king wasn't he? He could do as he wished. He wanted to see this rabble in all of their finery. Half of him wished he was an adventurer, free to roam the fields and forests, instead of being glued to his bloody throne all day long. Part of him longed for glory and adventure, for such he imagined the life of an adventurer to be.

"Come closer, come closer! Well, such tales you could tell, I am sure." He looked them up and down, lingering on the forms of the females for a moment. He wondered what it would be like to bed one such as these. Maybe he would invite them to the royal feast afterwards and seduce one of them! No one ever said no to the king, but why would they? He was a virile and powerful man.

"Now tell me, I see two knights amongst your numbers. Why are you not serving a king already, instead of hanging around taverns, waiting to be hired like common mercenaries?" His question seemed to be directed at both of the knights. He knew that the first order had fallen into chaos and many had abandoned it, yet most of those had still decided to pay fealty to a king. Being an independent knight, without a master, was a hard road to walk.
 
Ravin did not like it one bit the way the king looked at Mara and Alysa. He looked like they were his to claim and do what he wished with. The king wasn’t drunk yet, but he was well on his way. Ravin couldn’t help to feel that the king was a fool. A vain, petty fool who didn’t realize what he was doing to the Kingdom. It wasn’t the kind of man Ravin wanted to serve, but it was a man he was sworn to protect. Ravin was sworn to protect the kingdom the king and his father the lord of Mistelgard.

"Now tell me, I see two knights amongst your numbers. Why are you not serving a king already, instead of hanging around taverns, waiting to be hired like common mercenaries?"

Ravin looked over at Alysa knowing they were the only knights among them. Technically he was still serving his lord and his ode would eventually bring him back to do his duty, but for now Ravin was still enjoying his freedom. There had been plenty of reasons that he wanted to leave, but being an adventurer hadn’t been exactly the way Ravin had pictured it to be. The king seemed to have an even more romanticized idea of what it was then Ravin had when he first joined Mara. He suspected the king wanted to hear tales of glory, women and great battles. Even though he wasn’t much for lying it would be worth if it could help the king’s mood.

“My father is the Lord of Mistelgard and we are sworn to serve the kingdom, but until my duty brings me back my lord will be that of adventures. I have seen parts of the kingdom no normal knight would see, met people no normal knight would meet and had adventures no normal knight would have. I have tales of monsters and women, of goodness and of evil. Of lust and betrayal. It is a dangerous life and something I will have to go give up once I get married, but until then I plan on enjoying it some more. It will be an honor to serve you my king,” Ravin said, trying to make it sound just as exciting as the king wanted it to be, before bowing.

There was some truth to what he told the king, but also exaggerations and more importantly he left out all the boring parts of being on the roads. Ravin looked over at Mara and realized that he also left out the best part. The one part he would truly miss once he returned from his life as an adventurer.
 
Alysa's eyes narrowed when the Kings gaze remained upon her a little longer than what was needed to evaluate her. His perverted gaze mocked those stares she has been given all her life, especially when she was captured by the slavers and every man that forced himself on her. She grinded her teeth together trying to dissipate the heat of her growing anger. Her eyes fell from him to the ground knowing if she continued to look at him he would be able to see the fire in her eyes. His words still echoed in her mind but she wanted to wait for the anger to subside before speaking to the man.

Finally she looked up to him and smiled she was going to pay for this but she didn't care. "Swear my fealty and become like your Captain? Over looked and made to serve your fantasy of having personal power? I do not give my fealty to one whom never has shed or given blood on the field of combat, therefore I walk as an independent Knight for the kings of war have all but faded into the books of history. I come to take your coinage to do your kingdom a service but I do not give my fealty to you, but I would give my sword to your Captain. I do not disrespect you sire, I just have my ways about me and times my mouth gives me grief but as you know the path I walk is a hard way to walk but I walk it." she gives him a bow of the head in respect to the crown upon his head but not to the man it sits upon.

She feels the eyes of the others upon her but she remains her stature for now the King will be looking at her harder than the others in which for some reason she wanted that. She knew his gazing upon Mara would cause friction within Ravin and she didn't want that for he was in fealty to this king. She knew Ravin didn't need her protection but she had to earn some trust from him if she was going to get close to Mara and the others.
 
"Swear my fealty and become like your Captain? Over looked and made to serve your fantasy of having personal power? I do not give my fealty to one whom never has shed or given blood on the field of combat, therefore I walk as an independent Knight for the kings of war have all but faded into the books of history. I come to take your coinage to do your kingdom a service but I do not give my fealty to you, but I would give my sword to your Captain. I do not disrespect you sire, I just have my ways about me and times my mouth gives me grief but as you know the path I walk is a hard way to walk but I walk it."

One could have heard a pin drop in the court, after this last long speech. Perus listened with shock. No one, but no one talked to a king that way, knight or no. It was almost enough of an offense for her to lose her head. He gasped and then held his breath, waiting for the order to seize the woman.

Instead of the order, the king turned red in the face for a moment, and then started to laugh out loud and smack his knee. "Such a bold one you've found us Perus!" He stared down at her for a moment, as if trying to see through her armor.

The king stood and waddled down the stairs of the throne. He clasped Alysa's shoulder and hugged her armored form. "I like you. I'm surrounded by toadies. It takes balls to be so bold!" He released her and went down the line shaking each of their hands. He hugged Mara as well, which made her squirm in his arms.

"You four will do well indeed. Now this is a relatively simple task, below the need to send in Perus and his men. It seems some goblins and other beasties have taken up residence in one wing of the royal catacomb. I want you to go clear that lot out, and bring back trophies! I want a goblin head to mount on my wall!"
 
Ravin was furious at Alysa. He wanted to scream at her to stop talking, but he couldn’t do that withouth making it worse. He couldn’t understand why she was making herself a target of the king. Had she not seen enough grief already that she thought making an enemy of the king would be a good idea. She was brave though and the part of him that didn’t want to scream at her admired her forwardness. All he could do after she had finished was to hope that the king didn’t throw her in the dungeons or worse. He didn't want to see her killed.

He couldn't understan why she was drawing all this attention to herself? A knight of the first order already stood out and female knight stood out even more. Ravin couldn't stop himself from noticing how beautiful shw looked with her eyes full of defiance. No one ever spoke to the king like that, but she had just did. He shouldn't care what happened to her, but he did.

He really did care for her and it wasn’t until the king started laughing that Ravin realized just how tense he had been. He shouldn’t have cared what happened to her, but for some reason he did. He still wasn’t sure if she could be saved or not, but he was more determined than ever to try to help her choose the right path. Ravin didn’t particularly like how the king hugged the females, but he was so relieved that he hadn’t done anything to Alysa that it didn’t really upset him.

“…I want a goblin head to mount on my wall!" the king said finishing up explaining their mission.

Well if the king wanted a goblin head, he would get a goblin head. The royal catacombs, Ravin had heard about them. The present castle wasn’t the first to be built on this spot and the catacombs consisted of leavings from several old dynasties and kingdoms. They were huge and he wondered just how deep they would have to travel to fulfill their mission. He was still furious at Alysa and as soon as they were alone, he was going to tell her just how stupid she had acted. She had risked getting herself killed before the mission had even started. How could he trust her if she was going to act so rash…
 
Last edited:
An arched brow rose above Alysa's blue orb in surprise of the Kings return to her insult for it was intended to anger him. A twitch in her hand came about when the King waddled down from his perch, his form was that of slight laziness on his behalf but yet he did hold the wealth that most desperate ones was suffer a night to get some of that commodity. She on the other hand would rather slash him and watch him bleed out. All this emotion comes from the way he gawked at Mara and herself. A gawk that she has seen so much in her life that she would not miss it if she would never see it again.

Upon his hug, her hand went to her pommel of her sword waiting for him to take much more now that she was in his grasping arms, but when he released her from his grasp without taking more of a feel her hand fell away from the cold iron. His words of blow heartiness only made her feel more inclined to cut him for he was treating her as if she was going to fall at his feet begging him to allow her to bed him for his kind statement of her, which would never come to be in this lifetime.

She looked down the line after him as he moved down shaking hands and hugging Mara. She noted the look from Ravin and only shrugged her shoulders. She wasn't going to fall back into blind fealty ever again, especially into the hands of one like this. She pulled her eyes from watching Ravin staring at her back to the king who informed them of what he wanted but then again e was lying. For why pay for adventurers coinage when you had troops that could do it under there normal monthly wage unless there is more to the story... So she shall keep herself Fully alert at all times!
 
Mara felt slimy when the king hugged her, surrounded by his warm flesh, but tried to stand quietly. She was glad she still had her coat on. Finally, the king dismissed them from his presence, with a flip of the hand. She was unsure what amount of coinage they would actually receive for the job, but felt more comfortable approaching this Perus for the details, than having to deal with his majesty.

Perus looked unhappy, but was still polite, as he lead the small group out of the king's presence. When they were out in the hallway again, and being lead through the halls, she felt herself shake for a moment, at the memory of the hug. This was all so far from her comfort zone, being in the mountains in a palace, instead out in the forest, amongst living things. Still, she had faced worse in the past.

She hurried to catch up with Ravin, and almost spoke to him, but was unsure what to say. She knew he had feelings for her. That much had been evident. She was unsure how she felt, and wanted to avoid the subject until she had time to process it. The thought of losing him forever to his noble life was horrible. It made her stomach hurt. Instead of speaking, she merely nudged him with her shoulder, before turning slightly and looking back at the other woman.

She gave her a quick grin. "So, what did you really think of his majesty?" She whispered this last bit, so that Persus would hopefully not overhear them. He was trudging ahead of the little group, like a man headed toward the gallows.
 
With a wave of a hand the adventurers were dismissed to follow the Captain, but Alysa stood for a moment looking at the king. She knew there was more to this situation than he was admitting too. Her glare was one that matched her feelings that if this is a set up of any type, her next mission was to come back here and rid him of all his worries...permanently. Her fingernails tapped the pommel of her sword while staring at him, a clearing of throat came from the Captain brought her attention back to the group.

With each step Alysa's eyes roamed over to Ravin knowing damn well he was going to confront her with is damn duty and respect for the Royal family crap. She seen the gaze stemming from his eyes the moment she made her statement and every second after that. She didn't care about the edictals of meeting with the king when he was nothing more than a slob that was lucky enough to be handed a kingdom. Regardless of her feelings or ways of herself she was going to hear the crap from him.

The walk down the corridor to an unknown meeting place got a little uncomfortable with the way things began to look as she captured the smirking look of Mara as she rubbed up against Ravin. It was almost as if she was issuing a challenge toward her for the attention of the man. Alysa pondered this though and almost broke out into a laughter but managed to swallow the impulse, such a fool hearted that one was for she had no feelings for the man.....or.... she shook her head as the thought took a differant view. A brow rose above her eye as she took a mental step back and watched the big picture replay. Her stomach churned for now she seen what Mara seen and she almost spit up with realization of maybe she was sorta attracted to the man.

Alysa's mind took note of anything that would pull her mind away from the thoughts she was having and she managed to do so when her gaze fell upon the Captain. He seemed angry as well with the way she acted in front of the King, but was uncertain if that was becaused it put him in a position that he might have had to act against her or that she done something that he wished he had done many year ago. Still she respected this man and just maybe he felt the same toward her, either way she was going to ask him to accompany them on this quest.

Alysa moved to a neutral corner of the room where the Captain stopped the small group. There were a few benches and chairs scattered about with cards and dice littering the tops gave the indication that this was a recreational area for his men and now was going to be their speech room.
 
Last edited:
As they walked down the hallway Ravin realized he was just as mad at the king as he was at Alysa. He was despicable and represented most of what he hated about the life as a noble. He wasn’t much for playing games, but he knew how to behave towards those of higher rank. There were certain things you just didn’t do. “Like tell your father you don’t want to get married,” he thought. Maybe he was envious of Alysa for being able to speak her mind even when the etiquette clearly dictated otherwise. Still it had been stupid and he hated that she didn’t value her life higher. Honor can get you killed, but so can speaking your mind. It would’ve been so much easier if he didn’t care, but he did. He couldn’t deny it when he looked at her, she was just as beautiful as she was stupid.

He felt Mara’s touch on his shoulder, but even turning his head to look at her wasn’t enough to help his mood. He heard Mara whisper something to Alysa, but didn’t hear the response. They reached a rather large room when the Captain stopped them. The Captain was a respectable man and Ravin got the impression that he wasn’t going try to lure them into a trap. He didn't seem like the type to sugarcoat the situation. If it was bad, he was going to tell them and it made Ravin feel a bit calmer.

“This is the last time you will get to rest in a while. I suggest you make sure all your gear is in place and that you are ready for battle when I return as this is the calm before the storm. The kitchens started prepare your supplies the same moment you arrived at the castle. I will come back as soon as they arrive. It shouldn’t take more than quarter of an hour…” The Captain said almost saying something more, before biting his lip.

Unless the king decides he wants a feast, was Ravin’s first thought. They would always prioritize the King before a couple of adventurer. That thought didn’t help his mood either and he followed the steps of the Captain with his eyes as he left the room with the guards, before turning his attention to Alysa. She couldn’t try to take on the world at every turn, it would either wear her out or get herself killed. Ravin grabbed her arm to get her attention and the look he got from her wasn’t one of appreciation, but he didn’t care. All he wanted was her attention and now that he had it he let her arm go, but not before noticing the muscles in it. She was stronger than she looked.

“Why did you act so stupid? Don’t you think you got enough enemies without trying to make a new one of the most powerful man in the kingdom?” he saw that she was trying to say something back but he wasn’t about to let her say anything until he was finished. “Acting so rash in the dungeon could get us all killed. This isn’t a damn war you have to fight alone, do you get that? How can I trust you if you make every battle your personal Vendetta? The only reason the King spared you is because you are beautiful and now you brought his attention to you. The king is a fool, but he would’ve forgotten about you if you had just kept you mouth shut. You can’t make an enemy of every person you dislike. Sometimes you have to make them your friend to succeed with what you want. He got the power to bring down the order. No one else in this kingdom could do it without leaving their home territories undefended. If you want to succeed you need to learn how to make compromises at point if you want people to help you. There are few that would help you without getting anything in return and you will need more than a few to succeed with what you want,” Ravin yelled at the beginning of the speech, but he became calmer the more he spoke and at the end it was he spoke with his normal tone of voice.

He wanted her to understand that she couldn't keep acting the way she did. He liked her, he liked her fighting spirit. He knew it was why yelled at her. She had some qualities that he wanted. An iron will to bend the reality after her wishes, but she needed to learn how to become more like steel if she didn’t want to be broken and Ravin wanted to help her realize that.

“I don’t want to see you get yourself killed. Not on a mission like this. It would be pointless to get yourself killed, before your real mission has even started. Try not to act so stupid in the future,” Ravin said, this time his voice was softer almost like he was apologizing for his earlier words.

He wondered if he had gone mad, trying to help a knight of the first order and even caring for her. Ravin didn’t know where to look, on one hand he wanted to look at Mara for support on the other hand he didn’t want to avoid Alysa’s look. He decided to keep looking into her eyes in a way to reaffirm what he had said. He had a hard time understanding why his heart was opening up so quickly to her. For a second he wondered if he was destined to fall in love with every girl he travelled with and it caused him to chuckle. It would make his life easier; all he had to do then was to take his future bride on a trip. He froze when he realized what he had just thought, there was no way he could fall in love with Alysa too. She was too… He was already in love with Mara so, there was no way. Suddenly he realized he was blushing and it made him feel even more stupid.
 
Alysa's light brow rose again above her eye when the Captain informed them that the Kitchens were preparing their supplies but that wasn't what got her interest; it was the feel that he wanted to say more to them but was obvious under orders not too. She wanted to step into his path and call him out on this matter, but she stopped due to Ravin following his footsteps on a path toward her. It was that time that she knew was comming.

His grappling of her arm was not part of her expectations and she reacted with a clenched fist and a deadly glare. Her eyes burned with anger as he had the nerve to touch her. Her eyes searched his for anything that would reveal what gave him justification of touching her in any manner! Her teeth grinded together as the answer wasn't there for her to calm her impulse of wanting to cut him.

His tone of voice ignited the already burning anger that was consuming her, but then it turned for the worse when he declared her stupid! Her brow buried into her eyes as she was about to respond but was cut off by his continuing to berate her. She mentally followed his words depicting out what he was saying to and about her. Her anger was boiling now as she felt the heat reaching her neck and the side of her face.

Her body trembled from the rage ravishing every inch of her body! How could this ass but himself above her and to top that off think that he had the right to say anything of how she conducts herself to anyone! Her fingers clenched into fists as she eyed him with fire. She wanted nothing more than to make him feel pain for the things he said to her but there was that so called attraction that prevented that aspect but not the one that controlled her speaking out to him.

She stepped into him, bringing her face only inches from his. "Who the hell do you think you are! You think because we had a moment to speak of our past that we are more than strangers working on a calling! You do not know me well enough to even speak to me in this fashion or have the audacity to call me stupid for which you have no idea what I am doing when I confronted the king! Which by the way is none of your fucking business!" she yelled back angrily!

She eyed him even more and staying only inches from him as she continued to unleash upon him,"I also dont fucking recall asking for your help in bringing down the Order! That is just your arrogant nature thinking that every woman wants your silver spoon knighthood by their side! Mara might be one of those weaklings that need you at their side,but I can stand on my own and I surely don't need your babysitting desires applied to me! I earned my knighthood! I earned the right to stand up for what I want or what I believe in. I will never bow down to anyone ever again! Do I make myself clear to you!" she backs away and turns away, taking a few steps away from Ravin before spinning around around and yelling,"Fuck You!" she wanted to explain to him why she did what she did but the anger was still burning and wouldn't let her go, she only felt the rage shooting from her chest with each breath she took.

She was about to say more when a memory of past events caught her off guard as for it was a saying from one of the elders that a knight will act with is heart, guided by his mind will flourish and bring peace, but the ones that act from the mind alone will stumble and bring grief to those around him. She looked back at Ravin knowning that was what he was doing and she should give respect to that.."I'm sorry, that was uncalled for, your just speaking your mind as I do." She looked away from his eyes and took small walk away from him.
 
Last edited:
Mara was taken aback at the sudden rancor between the two warriors. She realized that the other woman was obviously suffering greatly, though she did not know what from. She did not feel comfortable asking, when the woman's anger and pain were so near the surface. She had also thought that Alysa's reaction to the king had been uncalled for and rather foolish, but she did not have the desire Ravin had to throw it back in his face.

It seemed that those not from the forests of Darvis were always talking, and letting themselves become impassioned. She had grown up with few words between her and her parents, but there had been love. Outsiders were always analyzing and categorizing. She just didn't get it.

Part of her thought that she should have something to say in the matter, but nothing occurred to her. Ravin was so concerned with straightening Alysa out, though it wasn't his place and Alysa was so caught up in her own pain and anger, that Mara feared what she could become when the battle rage overcame her.

As for the kitchen preparing their supplies, while she wasn't opposed to receiving supplies, she could hardly see the need. After all, wasn't this supposed to be a quick and easy mission, to clear a few goblins out from an ancient wing of the castle? How could it take so long that they would require supplies.

Finally, she fell back by the lone member of the group who did not say much at all. He had remained silent through the whole affair and still marched steadily on without talking. He was still an outsider, but he was much more like the people Mara had grown up with.
 
Last edited:
Ravin listened to Alysa scream back at him. He deserved, he had no right to tell her what to do or call her stupid. He understood why she told him she would never bow to anyone, but he also knew it was a recipe of disaster. She would never be able to take down the order alone and she was never going to get the help she needed if she kept treating everyone as a potential enemy. He was about to object when she brought Mara into the conversation but he never got the chance. Alysa had so much rage within her and Ravin started to doubt if she would ever be able to change.

"I'm sorry, that was uncalled for, you’re just speaking your mind as I do."

Ravin was caught completely off guard by her comment and couldn’t stop from giving her a short smile. She still had a side that wasn’t waging war against everyone, a side that wasn’t filled with rage and it made him feel both happy and relieved. It hadn't been a mistake to trust her, to give her a chance. He could see that she had some leadership qualities within her, but as long as she would be filled with rage none of that would matter. She would never get any troops to lead, unless she made any friends.

“Hey, I’m sorry for calling you stupid. I… I don’t think you put enough value on your life. I think you can be a true knight. You’ve seen the bravery and compassion of a true knight up front. They saw something in you that were worth fighting for and I see it too, but I’m afraid you are walking down the wrong path. You need friends and allies to win against the order. You can’t win a war by trying to fight every battle, sometimes it’s better to fall back and regroup. What did you accomplish by insulting the king? Did it bring you any closer to your goal? You life is worth more than to throw it away in a foolish act of defiance. I think you are worth more than that. Was it really a battle that was worth fighting?” Ravin asked her.

He didn’t expect to convince her straight away, but he hoped it would at least give her something to think about. He looked over at Mara, impressed by her skill to remain calm. Mara would give Alysa a chance too. He wondered for second how they would get along. Like fire and earth was his first thought, whatever that meant.

“Mara is not like you think she is. She is far from being weak, in many ways she is stronger than I. She can survive better in wild than anyone I know. She is her own master, just like you. You may not need a babysitter, but everyone needs a friend. I am lucky to have her friend and we help each other out. I rely on her strengths just as much as she relies on mine. Just as I cover for her weaknesses she covers for mine. Although I’m not sure if she has any really weaknesses,” Ravin said, not able to stop his smile while he talked about Mara.
 
Perus returned with bedrolls, lanterns and a couple days worth of nonperishable foods. He did not trust that the job wouldn't take them all that long. The fact was that his men had been hard pressed to stop excursions into other parts of the catacombs, much less contain the goblins within. There had been more than goblins spotted as well, during the battles to hold the line.

He passed out the supplies without comment, not wishing to alarm the groups. Mara took her's with a raised eyebrow, but said nothing. "Follow me." He lead then down and around, deeper and deeper into the palace, past the point where it turned from a man made structure into part of the mountain itself. The passageways were worn and rough hewn here, with torches set into sconces.

Finally they arrived at a sort of encampment, deep within the palace. Ten bedrolls were already laid out and occupied by weary guards. Another five guards stood behind quickly cobbled barriers, bows and spears in their hands. Beyond the barriers was a black tunnel going ever deeper into the rock. A small stove burned, filling the area with smoke. An old woman squatted by the stove, cooking flat cakes in a pan.

Persus gestured. "You can set your bedrolls and supplies up at base camp. We've held them here, so far, but haven't dared to venture further into the tunnel, without the king's consent." His words masked his true emotions, which were that if they had been allowed they would have already ride the tunnels of the troublesome creatures which occupied them.

Mara resisted the urge to clasp his shoulder. The warrior probably would not appreciate it, though the man beneath needed some comfort.
 
Last edited:
Alysa was about to answer Ravin's question when the captain walked in with that same content upon his face that he has had since leaving the King. She looked at Ravin with discontent but nodded to him her understanding of the situation.

She nodded to the captain as he pushed the supplies into her hands. She had this look of wanting to say something to him, but just bit her tongue as to follow the instructions given to her.

Alysa followed the group to the camp without word and took a place away from the others and set up her area and waited.
 
Just as Alysa was about to answer the Captain walked in and Ravin hoped he hadn’t caught too much of what they had been talking about. The Captain took them to a base inside the castle and handed them their supplies.

Ravin was surprised how well fortified it was, with several guards and barriers. They would be able to hold off more than a few goblins with this. Ravin wondered why they hadn’t entered further than this, but he tried not to occupy his mind with those thoughts. He was sure there was a good reason, but what could it be? If the foes were stronger than they let on this could very well be a suicide mission. Still they could always try to hold them of and make it back to the base if it ever came to that.

Ravin decided to put down his bedroll next to Mara and motioned for Alysa to take hers next to them too. He wasn’t sure if she would accept or not, or whether she was still mad at him. Still he wanted to make an effort and this was the least he could do. And this way he would be able to protect her if anyone tried anything with her. Not because Ravin didn’t think she wouldn’t be able to fend it off, but more because he didn’t want her to end up killing the poor bastard that tried anything. Not that is was likely, but the chance would be even smaller if they knew she wasn’t alone. Some men always underestimated women, he himself had been a bit skeptical himself before he me Mara and he could see the strength in Alysa too. Still he couldn’t completely break the habit of wanting to protect women more than he would a man. He knew it would probably annoy Alysa, but he didn’t do it because she was weak. He did it because he was weak; even though he saw her strength he still couldn’t stop thinking that she was a woman too and that she needed protection.
 
Mara finished rolling out her bedroll and decided to organize the supplies she had been given. She was not at all sure if they were meant to forge ahead now, or if they were waiting for something. She looked at Perus for instructions, but he was over talking with one of his men. As it was, she was tired from walking up all the stairs and ramps in the city and tired from breathing the thin mountain air. She decided to make use of her bedroll and lay down for a quick nap.

Across the room, Perus was talking with one of his trusted soldiers; a tall fellow with red hair named Henri.

"I pulled them hear near enough to evening and they have all had a long walk. Do you think this lot can wait until morning to start, or should we press them into service now." Perus did not generally ask for advice from just any old soldier, but Henri was his sergeant and had been for nigh on twenty years.

"It's up to you captain, or course, but I would think sending them in with a good night's sleep and a full belly would work out better for all concerned. Either way though, they'll all be dead soon enough, if I estimations of the forces in there are anything to rely on." He said this quietly so only Perus could hear, as his eyes passed over the adventurers. "Suppose I went in with them. I've got a holiday coming up anyway, and I could use the extra cash."

"Henri, your not getting any younger and as you said, they will probably all die anyway." Persus tried to sound persuasive. If he had his way, they would throw some poisoned food through the door and let the blighters fight over it, but the court magician had said that goblins would not be effected easily with human poisons, and did not seem to be able to come up with one that would do the trick.
 
What was it that pitted her against all those that she encountered was his question to her. A question that had an answer, but one that he would not understand. Betrayal. It followed her like a shadow hitched to ones ankle, relentless, even at the hour of no sun. her gaze rose up for her bedroll, which was padded with one of the blankets that came with the supplies, to the area that Mara and Ravin were setting up the place of sleep. He must have felt her gaze upon him for his head rose and their eyes met, her blue orbs his Brown. She watched as he motioned her to come join them. She didn't know how to take this man, he swears to his feelings for Mara but acts if he wishes for her to be with him as well. Maybe that is what she wishes it to be, she shook her head lightly as to kill two birds with one stone, shaking her head to clear the thoughts of this mans wants, and one to indicate that she did not wish to join them in their area.

She leaned back against the wall, her Knesset brought up to her chest as she allowed her eyes to gander about the room. She looked at the battle weary men with an understanding of how it feels to go without sleep and yet must keep the body at its highest peak of alertness. The strain was enough to make the unskilled warrior lose control and discipline. She wondered how many men here was actually combat experienced compared to the ones that was handed armor, a sword and was told to go fight! She lightly shrugged her shoulders for it wasn't her concern.

Then her gaze fell to the captain and his talk wsith another man. She could not read their lips but she was sure they were not just saying their greeting to one another for the face of the unknown man was hard and serious. She shot a gaze over to the others wondering if they themselves witnessed what was going on, her gazed locked with Ravin for a moment then back to the Captain wanting to know what was going on. She felt that shadow creeping up on her once more as her hand found the pommel of her sword. Her eyes flared up with that burning anger that she has had since that day she watched the last elder Knight fall to his death for her!
 
Back
Top