GOP On Suicide Watch

Prove him wrong, then.
Going to disappear.
39247.gif

I wonder if Vette understands that "Wiki" stands for "What I Know Is." It's not a reliable source to quote during a debate.

I wonder if Vette understands that "Wiki" stands for "What I Know Is." It's not a reliable source to quote during a debate.

Depends on the wiki. Wikipedia's pretty reliable and so is RationalWiki, though the latter makes no pretence of neutrality.

Depends on the wiki. Wikipedia's pretty reliable and so is RationalWiki, though the latter makes no pretence of neutrality.

If it has "Wiki" in it, my college-attending son can't use it as a source for papers, and hasn't been able to since 2008, when he was a freshman in high school.

If it has "Wiki" in it, my college-attending son can't use it as a source for papers, and hasn't been able to since 2008, when he was a freshman in high school.

it's good enough for government work.

Federal appeals courts are increasingly citing the reader-edited encyclopedia Wikipedia, though the trend has not spread to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Federal appeals courts have cited Wikipedia about 95 times in the last five years, according to a search by the Wall Street Journal Law Blog. In the Chicago-based 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, for example, judges referred to Wikipedia entries on the movie Blazing Saddles and on an ailment known as an anal fissure. The San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, on the other hand, relied on a Wikipedia summary about Elvis Presley.

The Law Blog tallied the number of Wikipedia cites by federal appeals courts since 2007, when a New York Times article noted court references to the open-access encyclopedia. A secondary cite—referring to a Wikipedia cite by a lower court or a party’s brief—didn’t count. The Times article noted that federal appeals courts had cited Wikipedia only 13 times in the prior three years.

The Law Blog found that the Chicago-based 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals cited Wikipedia 36 times, more than any other federal appeals court. Next was the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which cited Wikipedia 17 times.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti...dia_but_federal_appeals_courts_cited_it_near/

i don't have a problem with Wiki as a source when arguing here. someone can always go behind the source if they see fit, and it's not like we have access to a common library.

Oh, and for those who like to refer to America as an "empire" I would point out that when our troops took Mexico City, we could have owned the entire country and everything in it, no military force on Earth could have contested the notion. But we didn't, we returned the country to Mexico.

There was a movement to annex all of Mexico. But some objected that people should not be brought into a free republic by force . . . and John C. Calhoun objected that these people just aren't white!

We have never dreamt of incorporating into our Union any but the Caucasian race—the free white race. To incorporate Mexico, would be the very first instance of the kind, of incorporating an Indian race; for more than half of the Mexicans are Indians, and the other is composed chiefly of mixed tribes. I protest against such a union as that! Ours, sir, is the Government of a white race.... We are anxious to force free government on all; and I see that it has been urged ... that it is the mission of this country to spread civil and religious liberty over all the world, and especially over this continent. It is a great mistake.[45]

[shrug] This is not a classroom.

Of course, your son can start with Wikipedia, and follow an article's footnotes to get sources he can cite. That's what it's really good for, an aggregator.

[shrug] This is not a classroom.

Of course, your son can start with Wikipedia, and follow an article's footnotes to get sources he can cite. That's what it's really good for, an aggregator.

Well that's what I told him to do, go to the footnotes and use them.

NY's motto is "Excelsior," "higher" or "loftier"

We had it before Stan the man Lee started using it

We're not in school here.

Besides Wikipedia seems to actually be disallowed because it makes life too simple. Anybody who cares can start there and then follow the links at the bottom to their individual books and websites.

I have no problem with illegal immigration in this country, except for the fact that they don't serve on jury duty. That's horse shit. It should be the other way around -- they should serve exclusively on jury duty. Then it finally would be a jury of one's own peers........
It's not a stereotype if it's always true; then it becomes law.

I have no problem with illegal immigration in this country, except for the fact that they don't serve on jury duty. That's horse shit. It should be the other way around -- they should serve exclusively on jury duty. Then it finally would be a jury of one's own peers........
It's not a stereotype if it's always true; then it becomes law.

How would a bunch of illegals from Central America be seen as your peers?

It's rare that we get to be proud of Vette for not being the most racist man in the room. I believe he deserves a round of applause for not thinking that illegals commit so many crimes that they should be exclusively put on jury duty.

Though personally I think we need to just have professional jurors at this point. The purpose, if there ever was such a thing aside from perceived fairness, to having a jury of your peers was that they could relate to your circumstances. Clearly our jurors don't do that.

Back