What is your writing process (an inspiring writer wants to know)

I see a lot of people saying you should write every day. No matter what, just write something.
I've tried that and given up. Just doesn't seem to do much for me or make a difference.
(My own experience of course).

I don't think it hurts to wait for inspiration, if you're not feelin' it.

If its a massive struggle, it's because the ideas aren't clear. But I'm someone who needs to know what I'm going to write before I write it (the gist of it that is). Just plowing ahead never works for me. It will turn out muddled and confused.

When you know what you're aiming for, it writes itself.

Just some thoughts.

You know I can relate to not wanting to force creativity. But that mostly applies to my artwork. Sometimes when I write, my instincts kick in more easily because my head fills with thoughts constantly. In my latest upload when I introduced new characters, when I was writing it out, one scenario came naturally to me when my main heroine was meeting these characters and it ended up being a few written messages. Same thing happened the other day as I was writing out another scene.

Have you tried using any instinct? Sometimes it helps to think about what kind of scenario you want to play out in your head if the situation is tense or more laid back or something else.
 
I'm curious about what basic process you us when coming up with a story or book.

Example - do you make out a general outline, define the character overview including their conflicts in advance, or do you just start writing and see where it takes you? (Or other)

I have written some short stories just for fun and posted them on my Tumblr blog (none published here YET) but my ultimate dream is to write a full length book.

Baby steps though.

What advice can you give to a first time-aspiring author to point in the right direction?

I'd eventually LOVE to have a mentor to encourage, advise, critique.

Thanks in advance for any insight. I hope to spend more time on this board.

Jen

My writing process is simple: I start with a line, an image, or even a single word. Then I start writing, sometimes not stopping until I have a complete story.

Outlines don't work for me. I find them too constricting.

I don't force the words to come out, either. If I'm struggling with a scene/character/ending/etc., I put it to the side and work on something else.

Writing every day might work for some people, but not me. When I'm in the mood to create, I do; otherwise, I clean the apartment or do a craft.

Not every idea, no matter how good it sounds, will become a story. If the words don't flow, let it go. Move on.


Good luck and have fun.
 
Back
Top