My Zombie Shelter (open to everyone)

Max moved along slowly ahead of me, his nose in the air. The German Shepherd Dog was air scenting something. I read his body language and knew he was undecided as of right now what he smelled. I watched him carefully, because I knew if it was one of those creatures his posture would change; his hackles would raise, his ears would lurch forward as he went into prey drive.

There was some tall grass where we walked, him in the lead and me about 5 meters behind him. I held my M4 steady in it's single point sling across my chest.

Max and I had had to get off the highway. The car was dangerously low on fuel, and I didn't know where more might be. I wanted to keep this car, a Subaru Outback, if I could find more gasoline. The Outback had plenty of room for my gear, ammo, and other stuff. It also had room for Max and his food.

I had stolen (took? borrowed? Whatever it was called, the previous owners of the car didn't need it anymore. I punched .45 caliber holes in their undead foreheads at a gas station just outside of Spokane) this car just for that particular reason. The Crown Vic I had driven with the sheriff's office in Pierce County had run out of fuel and run hot at the same time. It had always been cramped for Max inside his little kennel in the back. The Outback just made more sense. Besides, Max had proven himself time and again over the past month. Way more than he ever had when we were patrolling on the street, and he had proven himself plenty then. As far as I could tell, whatever disease caused the dead to rise didn't affect dogs. That didn't, however, stop the dead from feeding on them. Or anything else, for that matter.

As we walked Max suddenly came to a stop. His ears perked, but instead of going forward they swiveled. He turned his head. He was listening to something.

"What you got, boy?" I asked him. Max turned towards me and gave a small whine.

I heard it then. It was a voice. A real, live human voice.

"Hello, is anyone around?"

I looked at Max, and he looked at me. He started moving towards the sound at a quick trot.

"Nein!" I said in a loud whisper, "Kommen hier!" Max immediately stopped, turned, and trotted back to me where he came to a heel position at my right side. I unsnapped the leash I was wearing around my shoulder and across my chest and snapped it to his collar. I then noticed Max was still wearing his nylon tracking harness that read "Sheriff K9" on both sides. Good. Identification was a good thing.

I walked with Max on-lead towards the voice we had heard. It wasn't but a minute that we came to a wall that look like it surrounded some kind of fortress. There was a gate, and just at the gate was a person.

A real, honest-to-God person! This was an unexpected sight since all I had seen in the last four days were zombies. Yeah. Zombies. The undead. Re-animated corpses. Ain't that some bullshit? All this time, I thought there was no coming back. This is the really real world, there ain't no coming back. Not so much since the dead got up and starting walking.

Max and I approached the person at the gate cautiously. I flicked the safety off my M4, but I didn't raise the gun. I didn't know if this person had been bitten or not. I didn't know, but I was glad to see them anyway.
 
As I stood there, wondering where everyone had gone, I decided to take a look around. The entrance gate looked solid. Before the world went to shit it might have a loop under the road that would open the gate when a vehicle approached. Now, things like that seemed so, stupid. I looked around the gate for signs of a way to open it but found nothing obvious. I turned to grab stone from the road to pound on the gate with when I saw them.
A man and his dog were walking toward me. The man, had an AR style rifle hanging from a single point sling around his neck. His trigger finger was extended to the safe position, but the safety was now doubt on either the "Fire" or "Fuck you" position if it was an M4.
The dog was on a leash, but was undoubtedly able to smell my stink and was anxious to come check me out.
As they grew closer, I slid my hand to my side and fingered the thumb release of my holster. It was nice to see someone at last, but this wasn't the first time I had seen people. I knew what some had become capable of.
"How ya doin?, hell of a set up somebody's got here huh?" I say.
 
"How ya doin?, hell of a set up somebody's got here huh?" I say.

"Yeah," I agreed. I looked to the wall, then back to him. I brought Max around to my left side at heel. Max was watching him in a non-aggressive pose. I knew the dog was curious, like me.

Speaking of which, I probably looked quite the sight. I had on my over-vest, which at one time was black but was now sort of a grimy, very dark gray. The pockets on the body armor were stuffed with all sorts of goodies...spare mags for my M4, spare mags for my Glock 21C, a few things here and there. For some reason, and I'm not sure why, I still had my handheld radio clipped to one of the lower carrier pockets. Somewhere under the grime was a patch on the upper left embroidered in the shape of a sheriff's star. I'm pretty sure the vest still had the SHERIFF patch across the back. My SOG SEAL knife was attached to one of the MOLLE straps on my left side near the M4 mags. And that reminded just how dangerously low on ammo for both pistol and rifle I was.

I had a small backpack on, complete with a Camelbak bladder in it for me and Max. Under all that I had on my last gray BDU shirt and pants and my boots. It was time to wash again, provided I could find clean water. I had all sorts of stuff in the Subaru, washing powder, soap, even toilet paper. Bottled and gallon jugs of water, too, that I had salvaged from stores and stations along the way.

I saw his hand hover near the holstered sidearm he wore.

The last thing I needed was trouble from a real, live human.

"This is Max," I told him, gesturing towards the dog with a nod, "and I'm Mike. Mike Taylor. Before the world went to shit I was a cop."

Now...well, now, I'm just trying to survive.
 
Horses were fine animals, I loved them. They were real beasts of burden and seeing these ones I was worried that they would give out. A good bath and brushing and then check their shoes, having travelled all this way I worried that they would need new ones. turning to my new companions I said, "My name is Michael. Glad to see someone else around here made it. There was a woman and now two men, finally I could have company for dinner instead of eating alone and someone could tell me if I was a good cook or not because I was always alone and my animal companions didn't eat meat.

"Where did you all come from? What can you tell me of the outside? I've been hear pretty much from the start of it so I have nothing to go by. No internet or television connection. I do have a flat panel that plays Blu-ray, but" shrugging my shoulders, "I do have other things to do." After a pause I realized that I was beginning to ramble on a bit and they couldn't get a word in edgewise. God, having been isolated I was letting my emotions, the elation of seeing other human beings and being in contact with them, that I was beginning to lose control.

In the back of my mind I was trying to put together all the necessary chores that needed to be done. I hoped they all had skills. By the looks of them they could fight at least, one was former military by the looks of him and the others were strong but a bit thin. I wasn't planning on any zombies and there hadn't been one here in awhile, but I knew never to let my guard down. I may have a strong perimeter but one bite and it was all over.

"One thing though," I said to them as we continued to brush the mounts, "I do have my ground rules. This is my place, and you can stay as long as you like, however, again, you have to work. I'm not going to crack a whip but I have chores for everyone to do that includes being on watch. Don't fall asleep. If you see someone let us know. Don't open the gate for anyone unless you've been given permission and anyone that is allowed to come inside has to be searched and medically cleared. I don't care if they're your long lost family members, everyone has to be searched for the sake of our group. Understand?" I wasn't trying to be mean, but I had to drive home the point. Our perimeter was sacred. We couldn't allow any lapses that would compromise our integrity.
 
"This is Max," the man said nodding toward the dog. "and I'm Mike. Mike Taylor. Before the world went to shit I was a cop."
There was a nervous tension still in the air between, but I began to feel a little better at the words 'I was a cop'. Something about the notion of law and order somehow made the insane situation we were in seem less so.
"Name's Randy." I said as I stepped toward them extending my hand. I may have been living as a savage but, I have never forgotten the traditions of civility.
" Where are the two of you coming from?"
 
"Name's Randy." I said as I stepped toward them extending my hand. I may have been living as a savage but, I have never forgotten the traditions of civility.

I stepped forward and met his hand with my own. I gave him a nod as I shook his hand, and Max crept forward and gave Randy's hand a good sniffing. After I let go Max did his usual "sniff around", as I like to call it, where he walked around Randy sniffing him up and down.

I let a small smile escape to let Randy know everything was okay. "His way of saying hello," I told him, "to learn your scent and see where you've been."

Satisfied, Max turned and gave slack in the leash as he returned to his heel position at my left side.

" Where are the two of you coming from?"

"Georgia, originally" I answered. That fact was probably evident in my speech. Even though I had been in Washington state for 10 years, I never quite lost my Southern drawl. "But, Max and I worked for Pierce County SO, south of Seattle for about 10 years. Well, I been there for 10. I've had Max for 6 years," I scratched Max behind the ear. He cocked his head to the side to better allow access. "It took us four days to get this far," I continued, "because I-90 is a fucking parking lot. I had to do a lot of driving off side-roads. I had originally thought to take 90 all the way into Montana, figured it was less populated with people so it ought to be less populated with those...things.

"Anyway, we skirted around Spokane, where I picked up another car," I said as I nodded in the direction of where I had hidden the Subaru behind some trees. "Not sure why I ended up in this direction, but whatever, anyway, here we are."

I was about to tell Randy about the car and some of the things I had stored in it. He seemed trustworthy. I had a gut instinct. Cop's intuition. Besides, Max had okay'd him, and I trusted the German Shepherd Dog's instincts far further than I would ever trust a human.

Max, however, suddenly turned on heel and raised his hackles. He let out a low growl at first, a warning growl, telling me and Randy to stand-to and look out. The growl rose into a series of barks. They were alert barks, short and clipped. I instinctively raised my M4 to my cheek, my eye finding the Aimpoint sight, my left hand swinging the muzzle around to engage the threat Max had seen.

I expected to see creatures. What I saw was unexpected.

Two people were approaching, one male, one female. The female had an infant carried against her chest.

I lowered my rifle to a low-ready, then tugged sharply on Max's leash. I didn't even have to say anything to him. He knew the sharp pull meant for him to be quiet. He immediately silenced himself, yet he continued a low, nearly inaudible humming growl. His barking could alert creatures in the area, if there were any. The walking dead would home in on the sound and converge on us, hoping for a meal.

I turned to Randy. "I take it they aren't friends of yours?"
 
Mike and I talked easily. Max had checked me out to make sure everything was everything I suppose. I hadn't had a lot of experience with dogs, but I took the fact that he wasn't chewing on me as a good sign.
Mike had told me about his travels and the slight accent was nice to hear. It reminded me of growing up in West Virginia. I had moved to Philly in search of better pay and the life of ease. Things didn't quite turn out as I had planned but then they never do.
Max suddenly turned and his ears cocked. There was something coming, and Mike and I knew enough that visitors are not always welcome. I backed up to where I had laid my rifle and took a knee bringing the AR10 firmly against my shoulder. The sun was setting but my scope was still pulling in enough light for a good sight picture.
Max growled and started barking, so I swung the crosshairs around to the direction he was looking and saw what at first I thought was 2 adults heading our direction.
I increased the magnification to close to max and was saw that there was one man and one woman. The woman was carrying and infant and the man looked to have a toddler on his back.
Mike said,"I take it they aren't friends of yours?"
"All of my friends are dead." I replied continuing to watch the couple. "I have them 175 yds and closing. How do you want to handle this?"
 
"So apparently there are people here, I guess those tracks were as fresh as we thought"

We see a glare of light and stop dead in our tracks.

"And apparently they are well equipped. Seth, what now?"
"Not sure, we've got to be nearly 200 yrds away, I doubt they could hear us yell"
"we cant just walk closer, not with the babies, its too risky. Do you still have that whiteboard I picked up in Payson?"
"its still in the car, wasn't thinking we would need to draw up any tactical maneuvers tonight."
"Well they're obviously looking at us, do you think there is any chance they know sign language, or can read lips?"
"Shit Kandra, why don't you just Morse code 'we come in peace' to them, maybe that message will get through?"
"Just shut up, I don't see you coming up with any bright ideas, so fuck off with your sarcasm."

The baby starts to fuss

"we're running out of time. its getting dark and these people could either be safe or dangerous, but I KNOW that the fuckers out there ARE dangerous"

I sign and mouth a message, the stress of the situation causing sweat to roll down my once soft, now sculpted from the exertion of survival, back and stomach. Im hoping someone who understands is watching, hoping whatever scope they're using is strong, and that they catch it before the light disappears:
" Help- need shelter- not infected- not dangerous"
 
The alarm went off again. For crying out loud, there were more people coming? This was overwhelming as I went out of the barn closing the doors along the way and heading for the gate, asking the others to come with me. If there were more people I hoped that they were all friendly as these ones already inside, but I galloped up and looked down the road there were two people standing there on the plate sensor.

Could they be what was mentioned earlier, the man with the sniper rifle that was hunting deer. Climbing up the ladder to the tower and peering out and placing the small binoculars to ym eyes and carefully scanning about there were two people, a man and a woman and apparently a baby. Not sure if it was from this distance, but they were holding a bundle that appeared to be so. Hmm, that would add a bit of danger to this situation. To the others gathered below me I called out what I could see and asked if there were any of their friends that they failed to mention were following them.
 
I shook my head and called up to the guy in the tower that ran this joint that I hadn't ever seen them in my life, being able to see them from the stable as I groomed the horses. A baby? That was dangerous. I laid a hand on my belly, wishing I had the chance to give life. But that was taken away from me when the zombies came. I had never felt so alone. . .
 
Randy said no.

All of his friends were dead.

I knew what he meant.

Some of mine had even come back.

My best (human, not canine) friend had been another K9 officer on my shift. We had done everything together. Trained our dogs together. Worked together. Took down bad guys together. Played Xbox together.

He got bit by one of those creatures while checking out a domestic dispute.

I saw him when he turned.

I put him down when he came after me.

"I have them 175 yds and closing. How do you want to handle this?"

Randy was watching them approach through a nice optic mounted on top of an AR-10. I let a small smirk escape. The capabilities of that rifle, with its .308 round, were nothing short of impressive.

Randy had my back. He as much as said so. That realization made things a little better.

"I'll move up a little," I told him, "and flank slightly to your left. Keep them covered, and if shit goes tango uniform I'll let Max go before I engage."

I called Max to a heel, and I popped the leather leash from his collar. I quickly wrapped it around me over my shoulder and snapped it together. I palmed the grip of my M4, letting the muzzle drop just slightly below my line of sight.

The light was fading as I moved into the road, and I couldn't quite make out what the couple in the road were doing. They were stopped, and the woman seemed to be gesturing or something. I looked back to Randy to see if he could make out anything through his optic when I heard a voice from inside the wall.

Perhaps the proprietor of this establishment was home after all.
 
"I'll move up a little and flank slightly to your left. Keep them covered, and if shit goes tango uniform I'll let Max go before I engage." Mike told as he released the lead strap from Max's collar.
"Roger that Mike. I am weapons hot at your go." I told him as he started to move forward.
I settled into a more stable position and placed the crosshairs about 8 inches below the chin of the man walking toward us. At this range I should be able to remove most of his head and that would probably stop the woman long enough for me to zero on her should the need arise.
I had never liked the killing, but I disliked the thought of dying even more. At the end of the day it boiled down to survival of the fittest. My main concern was the children, they were both in very dangerous positions, and I wasn't sure how I could avoid them getting hurt. I was hoping it didn't come to that.
As I kept scanning fir the woman than the man I noticed that the woman had stopped and was moving her hands in patterns that looked like sign language. Her lips were making exaggerated movements as if she was speaking to me. At this distance, I couldn't hear anything but it looked as if she was saying "Help shelter infected not dangerous".
The phrase didn't make sense but the desperate look in her eyes seemed to fill in the gaps.
'They must need help as well' I thought as I continued to watch.
The sun was setting fast, so I lowered my rifle, then stood. I figured if I were going to communicate, I had better do it now. I started waving my arms for them to come nearer as I slung my AR10 back over my shoulder. As they approached, I moved my hand to my sidearm and said "My names Randy, heck of a setup someone has here huh?"
 
Last edited:
Calling out to the people I said, "You will be searched. If you have any firearms drop the magazines and empty the chambers and holster or sling them. If you have any ID have those, as well." Then looking at the two already inside as she hadone hand on her stomach I thought she was suddenly ill, "Are you alright?"

My plan was to have my two companions and said, "go ahead and open the gate, just enough for a person to enter and then shut it." Looking at her, "What is your name? I'll have you search the mother and child," beliving it would be more comfortable having a woman search her and then have the horseman search the man.

"I'll stay up here in the tower and keep a look out," still having a lingering feeling that there was still eyes on me.

Been having no one out here I wanted to beopen. I dint have a wife, no girlfriend, ad now no family and after the zombies I was beginning to feel that I was going to die alone at this place.
 
"Yes, I'm fine," I said, scared that I had been caught. "Just feeling sad at the moment. No matter." I smoothed out my shirt. "And my name's Alli."

I walked over to the opening of the gate. I sighed and put on my best sympathetic smile.
 
I had taken a few steps into the road. I checked my six quickly, and saw Randy sling his rifle.

The newcomers with the children must be okay.

I had Max go to a down position. I released the leash, letting him at my left side.

I looked back to Randy one more time. He spoke to them, sort of saying the same thing he had said when we had met a few minutes ago.

I slung my M4, putting it on safe before doing so. The voice from inside the wall, from the tower, had ordered so. I figured it was best to not appear threatening to potential friends.

Max and I waited on them to approach closer to proper introductions could be made.
 
Last edited:
The voice from the tower startled me. I pivoted one one foot drawing my sidearm looking for the source. It had come from above me, but as my eyes darted around I could make out a form from the other side of the gate.
"You will be searched. If you have any firearms drop the magazines and empty the chambers and holster or sling them. If you have any ID have those, as well." the mysterious voice said.
The person on the other side of the gate, opened it just enough for one person. It was a yound woman, that I didn't recognize immediately. Her clothes were clean, and her hair looked combed and neat. I thought she must have been the same woman I had seen before, but she looked so...different.
"I'll let the woman and the kids go first." I yelled to whomever had been speaking. "You'll understand if I don't just drop my gun because someone I haven't seen told me to."
I glanced quickly around to mike. I took my hand and motioned for him to move further off to my left. He was slightly further away from the wall than I was, but I figured two targets far apart are harder to take on than two right next to another.
"I am not looking for any trouble, but I have been around enough to know to expect it. You have us outnumbered and the high ground, I just wondered of we could talk."
 
The gate opened. Max's head picked up, drawn to the sound of the gate swinging free. I noticed him out of my peripheral vision as he switched between the two approaching on the road and the young woman who stepped from behind the gate.

Randy got my attention. He gestured in a sweeping motion with his hand. I nodded, then I took several steps to my left. It opened the gap between me and Randy. I understood what he was telling me: wide separation. Multiple points of contact. Defensive perimeter should things go to hell.

I kept an eye on the two on the road. Neither seemed to be a threat, especially with the children.

The one who came from the gate seemed like she moved with purpose. She seemed like she had a mission. Max keyed on her, and I told him to stay. My whispered command in German was a bit louder than normal, but it was because I wanted everyone around to understand that I posed no threat.

I stood easy, with my right hand holding the strap of my rifle and my left with the thumb tucked into the top of my duty belt. This was my non-threatening pose, but it was as much for Max as it was for anyone. If I relaxed, he would to. There was an old saying in K9 that everything the handler felt ran right down the leash. I had learned too often the saying was true.

Randy was speaking to whomever was inside the gate. I figured I'd let him talk. I'd be quiet and watch. And wait. It wasn't like I had anywhere I had to be.

Randy seemed to have a way of communicating the simplicity of truth of what was at hand. He'd have been a good cop, I thought. I trusted him, for some reason. Maybe it was because of the way Max sniffed him and said everything was okay. Or, maybe it was because I really didn't have a reason to not trust him.

Whatever the case, I knew that safety and some sort of existence besides living from one day to the next lay inside that wall. It would be good to lay my head down without having to sleep with one eye open and Max always on alert. Hell, it would be good just to sit and talk with people for a change.

The dead didn't have much to offer in the way of conversation.
 
As I waited for the couple and child, I heard a loud whisper in German and my head immediately snapped to see a man with a German Shepherd. The German Shepherd was tense. I knew enough German to know that the man didn't want the dog to go after me. Ex cop, maybe? I thought as I found the other man whom I had seen earlier.

Calling up to the guy in the watchtower, I said, "There's two more beside the couple. One's the guy I had seen a few days ago, the other an ex cop from the looks of the dog."

Looking over at the guy with the dog, I called out in German. "Komm hier mit dem Hund. Ich bin ein Freundin." Come to me with your dog. I am an friend. At least, I think that's what I said. It sounded right. French was more my specialty.

I waited and led the young couple with the child inside. "You will be searched. Ma'am, I'll search you, I'm the only woman besides you here," I said apologetically.
 
"Komm hier mit dem Hund. Ich bin ein Freundin."

I looked at her and shrugged. I knew just enough German to talk to Max. He was, after all, a German Shepherd Dog. Imported. From Germany. The real thing. Lots of working dog suppliers used imported dogs. Some kennels had contacts over there and got good dogs. Some, not so much. Max was an exception to the rule, and came as a puppy. Untested, unknown, but he had lots of drive. And, since, he was from Germany, I kept his commands in a language he was familiar with. I've trained dogs in Dutch and Czech, too. Not that I speak either of those languages, either, but I know enough to tell a dog to sit, stay, or go bite someone.

I slowly replayed what she had said to me, and pieced it all together and figured she was telling me to come to her. I knew that much. The word Freundin sounded like "friend", and I figured it was good enough for me. She had heard my command of bleiben to Max, so she must have thought I spoke German as my native language.

No, darlin. Just good ole' South Georgian. That's the state, not the country.

I followed the couple with the child inside and stood easy.

I waited and led the young couple with the child inside. "You will be searched. Ma'am, I'll search you, I'm the only woman besides you here," I said apologetically.

"Does that mean you're searching me, too?" I asked her, trying my best to smile despite the fact that the world as I knew it had just ended.
 
The young woman at the gate yelled up to whomever was in the guard tower.
"There's two more beside the couple. One's the guy I had seen a few days ago, the other an ex cop from the looks of the dog."
'...a few days ago...' it was coming back to me. She was the one crossing the clearing, the one with the knives. I didn't think she had seen me, but then at that time I wasn't very well concealed.
"Komen dubli flagin herdy gurdem." she said.
'What the fuck is she saying?' I thought. Mike seemed to understand, and responded in kind.
"No, darlin. Just good ole' South Georgian. That's the state, not the country." he told her.
I lowered my pistol but still kept it ready as Mike and Max moved toward me and the gate. The woman, her children, and companion went in first, then Mike and Max followed. They were all told once again that they would be searched. I was hesitant, but the hunger that I had forgotten about once others had arrived came back with twice fold. My choices were limited, so I dropped the mag from the pistol.
'There's still one in the pipe." I thought. I called to Mike, "You sure about this man?"
 
I looked at the guy who had asked the question. "Um, probably not," I said, blushing furiously. It had been so long since I had another guy ask me that question. "I'm searching the lady here because except for her, I'm the only female. PS, I'm nineteen. You're what, 30?" I continued, mildly sarcastic. Muttering under my breath in French, I quickly searched the woman. "She's clean. I'll check the others." I called up sighing. Looking over at the guy with the dog, I glared at him. "Hands up, face the wall," I growled.
 
I watched as she set about her task of searching Mike. It reminded me of the way the TSA would frisk me when flying out see my buddy in California.
'I wonder if he made it' I think as I watch her hands roughly glide across his clothing. I decided that there was no immediate danger so I returned my side arm to its holster. I couldn't help but look her over as she continued her task.
She was young probably early twenties or so, with medium length copper colored hair. She had a nice tan, but then most of us did from hours of walking and foraging in the sun. She had a thin body, but the definition of her arms told a story of hidden strength. Her legs were muscled and lean and the hours of walking had lent themselves to quite an impressive ass.
I got a slight glimpse of her stomach as she raised her arms to pat down his shoulders. It was only a flash, but there was no doubt that the makings of a six pack lay beneath her shirt. She squatted down to check his legs and ankles and her pants slid ever so slightly down revealing what appeared to be a modest pair of panties.
In any other circumstance I would have been very attracted to her, but the times we lived in allowed for no such romantic notions. Add to that, that anymore I didn't care for people touching me. Even the slightest touch made me uneasy. I had seen what people can and would do to take what you have, even using young ladies to distract you while they tried to cut your throat.
I wasn't sure how I would handle the search, but I was going to use the few minutes I supposed I had, to think of a way out of it.
 
Last edited:
''There's still one in the pipe." I thought. I called to Mike, "You sure about this man?"

I looked at Randy and shrugged. What did we have to lose? I gave a slow, slight nod, indicating to him I understood there was still a round chambered in his pistol.

I unbuckled my duty belt and unsnapped the straps to the thigh holster where I carried my Glock. I took the entire rig and slung it over my shoulder. I dropped the mag from my M4 and placed into one of the pockets on my tactical vest.

I guess it made sense to search us. Then again, it didn't. Not to me, at least. I was thinking like a cop. I'd search someone for hidden weapons, trying to find something they were carrying concealed. Randy and I were openly carrying firearms. And, no one could miss the 7" blade knife that I wore on my tactical vest. Whatever the search was for, it was what it was, and if it meant I had to go through it to get inside and rest a bit then so be it.

"Um, probably not," I said, blushing furiously. It had been so long since I had another guy ask me that question. "I'm searching the lady here because except for her, I'm the only female. PS, I'm nineteen. You're what, 30?" I continued, mildly sarcastic. Muttering under my breath in French, I quickly searched the woman. "She's clean. I'll check the others." I called up sighing. Looking over at the guy with the dog, I glared at him. "Hands up, face the wall," I growled.

My attempt at lightening the moment obviously seemed to go the wrong way. I had made her blush, which, I assumed at this point, was the wrong thing to do. I had embarrassed her, and she was probably already uneasy about having to do the searches in the first place. I figured the best thing for me to do at this point was shut the fuck up before I really dug myself a hole.

Max walked inside with me at heel. When she told me to turn around and face the wall, I looked to Max. The German Shepherd was definitely on alert, what with all of the people around. He didn't appear to be in an aggressive mode, which was good, and I didn't want to put him into one. Whatever the handler feels runs right down the leash, remember. Before I turned around and raised my arms I put Max in a down position and retrieved his toy from a cargo pocket on my pants. The toy wasn't anything cutsie. It was just a simple piece of white PVC pipe about 6" long. One of the ends of the pipe was pretty well chewed. Max only chewed one end for some reason.

Max took the toy from me and put it between his paws. He began working on that one end immediately.

I had discovered a long time ago that using the same thing I used to hold drugs while imprinting scent on dogs as a toy just made sense. Plus, the PVC pipe didn't bounce when you threw it, which was an added bonus when I rewarded him for a find on a traffic stop. (I didn't have to worry about his toy bouncing into to traffic and him chasing after it).

I turned around and faced the wall. I ignored her comment about being 30. Yeah, I was about 30. About 36 to be more precise. She started the search, and I glanced at Max. He still had the toy in his mouth, but he had stopped chewing. He was watching her intently.

So many times during training we used a scenario where a K9 officer gets out with a guy in a bite suit. The K9 officer takes the suspect into custody. During the search, when the K9 officer is checking him, the decoy pushes the officer, or the decoy produces a weapon and the officer pushes away from him. I knew Max was thinking about this scenario as he watched her search me. He was waiting for one of us to make that sudden move.

"Be slow and easy," I told her, "because your every move is being watched very closely." I gave a nod in Max's direction. "He's not too keen on people being this close to his dad."

I watched her as she searched me. She was indeed attractive, and I couldn't help but feeling the attraction towards her despite the fact she was searching me and the world was full of the walking dead. I looked over at Randy and saw that he, too, was checking her out. I gave a quick smile and nod of my head, letting him know I thought she was pretty hot, too.

She finished the search, but I remained still. I wasn't about to open my mouth to say anything stupid again, like 'can I turn around now or is there more?'. Instead, I reached for Max's leash and told him to ous, to let go of the toy. He complied. I put his toy away, now all slobbery and even more chewed. I gestured towards Randy.

"Next up?" I asked.
 
Last edited:
I quickly patted down the ex cop, making sure to be thorough. "I understand. My grandfather was a security person for the ASPCA. Had a cute little dacsaund." I gave a nod toward the dog. He returned to chewing on the PVC pipe.

I told the ex cop he was clean and turned to the other guy. "Hands up, face the wall," I repeated, sighing. "Drop the firearm."
 
Back
Top