The daughter VanHelsing (closed)

Miles screamed "KEEP GOING!" as he started catching up with Nadya,

Out of the woods to his left he heard the noise just before the wolf leaped at Nadya from cover, just as the old man attacked it. Hearing them tumble and a yelp Miles subtly grinned, one less brood to worry about. The old wolf was not one that Miles would out right choose to fight. He'd learned that a long time ago.

He urged Nadya to ride on, getting close and making eye contact. "DON'T STOP. Even if I'm not right behind you I'll catch up to you.. Listen to your senses.. if we get separated they'll guide you." Hoping that urgency of the situation would push her to ride harder, faster than she had before. At this point, any attempt at keeping quiet while approaching Budapest was moot.

Pulling the pump action shotgun from it's sheath behind his saddle, Miles checked and made sure he had a round in the chamber. He'd taken precautions for this, and had been hesitant to use them, but now he had no choice.

Watching another wolf leap out of the woods, and make chase, Miles turned his attention and fired, just as it leaped to attack him.

Within each shell was a metal slug, impregnated with silver, deadly to creatures like him. At this range the slug cut into the leaping wolf, tearing into it's chest killing it almost instantly as the body flailed about on the road behind them. Cocking the shotgun but saving the shell and slipping it into one of his jacket pockets, Miles raced after Nadya and opened his senses...

Catching her, miles slowed them down and pointed at the bottom of the valley, "Do you seen them?? There are two more at the bottom, waiting for us. Get behind me.."

As they made it down the hill, both wolves attacked, attempting to time their jumps at the same time. As they did, they'd forgotten about the old man, who attacked as well,in his wolf form, attacked at their jump, taking the wolf to Mile's right out of the fight entirely.

Turning his attention to the left, MIles shot again, In mid jump the wolf took the hit and tumbled through the air, landing well behind Nadya and him as they rode hard beyond the scene.

Reaching out, Miles could tell the old man was in chase, maybe a bit slower than he should be, but given the pace Miles was sure he'd keep up.

Turning back to Nadya, he checked on her and smiled, then rode on. They must get to the city quickly, no more time to talk. it was time to focus.. listen to what the world was telling him.

She continued to ride full bore much to her horses clear joy. Gypsy ponies loved nothing more than to run and her horse seemed also to like the idea of trampling the fallen dark wolves. She was scared but focused however sensing so much was taking its toll as by the time they had cleared the last two wolves she was clearly shaking.

Grab her horse it will get you all to town and get her to Gabriel now. I will deal with the dark ones.

The old man yelled to Miles before howling the call to the others who stood with him.

"I'll leave my horse on the next hill.. "

His words hopefully not left to the wind, Miles carefully brought Nadya's horse to a stop at the next hill and dismounted his own. Putting his shotgun over his shoulder as he mounted her horse behind her.

Seeing that Nadya was clearly shaking, Miles took the reigns and they were off, careful to keep Nadya close to him for fear that she might let go of the saddle and fall.

"We'll be there soon, hang in there..."

Allowing the horse to choose the pace was almost back breaking as Miles wasn't as well trained on a horse as Nadya was. He grew up in Brooklyn, took summer trips to boys camp and learned there, but he was more comfortable on his feet than on the back of a horse.

Patting the horse on the side as it rode on, seemed to press the urgency and it rode a bit faster.

With the city of Budapest now well within sight, Miles didn't urge to slow until they were near the city streets, once there he slowed him to a slow pace as he reached out..and sensed nothing. The old man and the others were serving their purpose, distracting the dark brood long enough to reach Gabriel.

Stopping a few blocks from the inn, Miles pulled them to a stop, and dismounted.

Reaching for Nadya to dismount, he took her hands in his, and pulled her into his arms...

The moment lasted longer than it possibly should have, holding her close, taking the moment to smell her hair and smile to her made his heart a bit fluttery.. He knew he should set her down, but time seemed to slow..each second taking three times longer to pass than the last. He'd held her in his arms moments ago, and thought nothing of it, but now.. he was held in time..

Setting her down before it grew too awkward, before she sensed there was more than what should be, he took her hand and guided her, taking a quicker route to the maintenance entrance at the back of the large inn, Miles checked the doors, and lead the way..

Several floors up, Miles reached the door, room 309 and took one look back at Nadya and actually let her be the one to knock.

"You should be the first person he sees.."

Swinging his shotgun out and resting it across his arms, Miles stood with his back to the door ever watchful of anyone who might approach.

Her sense still overloaded she did however calm as he held her. Her arms darting out to hug him close as well. Her eyes were far darker than normal and her skin attempted to be pale. Once he set her down she hurried with him and nodded when he said she should be the first one he sees.

She knocked on the door and waited when the door opened she stood tall.

You do not have to hide your face father they do not share your desire to lie to me.

Standing in the hallway, Miles played the silent observer. He wanted to say something, but honestly knew he shouldn't This was a conversation he was best left out of. He did muter to himself... "oh damn it..."

Miles wanted to defend the man, Gabriel probably never intended to hide anything from her, or hurt her by lying to her. Miles has found however that even the most innocent of lies have a tendency to turn bad.

"I'll... I'll be right here if you need me... "

Holding the door open as Nadya walked through, Miles closed it behind her and stood guard. Gabriel could defend himself and her. Miles would fend off anyone who tried to reach them, and so, with his senses he concentrated.. and listened to the world around him.

They had no right to tell you...

Gabriel growled back

I will not see you the same hated weapon of the church that I am.

She stood there glaring at him.

Yet a weapon against these dark creatures is exactly what I am just like you were a weapon against Vlad Dracul. Yes I know the stories perhaps their way of telling me about you without telling me about you. How can I do what they say must be done when I have never been trained to fight? I think you let your disdain for your religious handlers override logic. I can't fight these creatures... I have seen them I know the damage they can do. Unlike them however I have only one form I this is it.

He knew she was right. He could not prevent her destiny but he had jeopardized it in his fatherly want to protect her. There was only one thing g to do now as called out.

Miles summon our old friend... We have much work to do.

Miles couldn't help but over hear their conversation through the door. He had good ears before the change, now his hearing was well... astounding. But it had it's drawbacks. He couldn't fake or bullshit his way out of not hearing something from another who'd changed and knew his skill set. Taking a deep sigh, Miles opened the door and nodded at Gabriel.

"Yes sir... the old man should be on his way here."

Looking over at Nadya he nodded to her and spoke what should have been said to her from the beginning.

"What you know is just the beginning. By the time you are finished with your training, you'll know enough to stand on your own two feet."

He then exchanged a knowing glance with Gabriel and said one more thing, "Are you willing to face your fears? Because you hold the keys, I can show you the door, but you have to open it and walk through it. "

Gabriel had hoped over the last 21 years the old man and his pack had been able to wipe out their dark kin leaving his daughter to a life without the destiny of being a weapon. He knew better but he had hoped. Nadya just nodded to Miles and smiled a little as she and her father continued to talk.

I welcome my training whether you like it or not father. If the church was going to make me a weapon wouldn't the old friar in the village have already done that?

Gabriel raised a brow to her

A cursing drinking little tinker of a man?

Yes why?

That sneaky little drunk. The church will truly never know about you now. I wonder what he told the village to gain access to any title there. You were in far better hands than I could have planned there.

He motioned for her to walk closer finally to hug his precious little girl. She held her mother's beautiful air and his stubborn soul and eyes. So intense and dark her eyes held a fire he could not begin to ignore. She was truly a warrior whether he liked it or not and in this moment he could not be more proud of his daughter

At their embrace, Miles couldn't help but smile. a father and daughter who'd never met till 5 minutes ago embracing as only family can. He was jealous, not just because it was Nadya, but for that feeling of belonging. His family had been lost to him long ago, he'd ended up on the streets in Brooklyn before volunteering for the war. it was something foreign to him, and while he was very happy for the two of them, he was also reminded of his own circumstances.

Miles intead turned to looking out one of the windows, slowly peeking out looking along the streets, reaching out with his senses...

"I hate to break up the family reunion so fast.. but the old man is on his way, and he's in a hurry.. We need to leave, now. Gabriel. We can meet you at the Viecroft Estate in northern Germany. If we travel together, too many eyes will be on us, but if Nadya and I travel as a couple, we'll have a better chance staying undetected, throwing off what the kin would be looking for. We'll also travel by train, I'll notify the northern den ahead of time that we'll be coming. per the more secure routes."

Miles hated to do thsi, break them up when they'd only just met.. but survival for both of them was most important right now...

Walking to the door Miles turned and waited for Nadya. "We'll be 1 week.. if we're late, I'll send word."

Gabriel nodded.

Keep her safe.

With that he grabbed his pack and kissed his daughter's brow and left the room.

Nadya turned to Miles.

What is wrong? I sense none but you and what is perhaps a stray cat anywhere near us?

"Then we have to go.. now...."

pulling on her hand, urgently pulling Nadya with him Miles retreated back the way they'd come.

"What you sensed is a blackout. when someone powerful enough is trying to hide their presence. We have to get to the train station and get out of here. Your father and the old man will find us when we get north..."

As they crossed a major street a tram car passed by, noticing the large crowd on board, Miles thought quickly, and helped Nadya on to the back step of the tram car. Stepping in behind her, Miles could smell her hair, a strong scent whatever it was lit his insides on fire. He'd always known he was attracted to Nadya, now standing a few inches from her, he could feel her. sense her, but he had to control his own senses.. prevent Nadya from seeing his deep feelings. Burying his feelings he concentrated on their survival. in the future.. some day he might admit his feelings, but now.. Now her survival was more important.

"Stay close.... ok?"

She nodded actually curling close. So many people on such a closed in train like thing. There were more people in this tiny space than in the entire village she called home. Her anger at her father was replaced with fear. No so much at what they were running from but this crowded place making her feel that she could barely breath.

She looked up into Miles eyes trying to anchor against the panic of this fight place.

Looking down into Nadya's eyes, Miles caught her gaze, she was looking at him with the eyes of someone frightened, fearful of what he didn't know. Pulling her close, he smiled as warmly as he knew how, and he was either too dense to catch it, or maybe she was fearful of who might be chasing them, but he had to ask..

Whispering softly into her ear, Miles asked.

"What is it?"

So many people on here. I doubt there are this many people in my whole village. Just a little overwhelming.

She curled close wishing this ride was over.

Miles smiled... "I completely forgot.. I.. " Pointing his fingers over her head, at the top of the compartment, Miles commented and said "This is what they call a "street car" back in Brooklyn where I'm from. Here in Budapest it's called a 'tram' but they are basically the same thing."

Turning Nadya around so she could look out the back of tram as they went, Miles pointed out a few things, just basic items that he was pretty sure didn't exist in her home village. His voice was calm, encouraging and, affectionate. Encouraging Nadya to ask questions when she felt it necessary. He couldn't do anything about the crowds, but he could distract her from them with conversation and pointing out the wonder of civilization.

As they pulled closer to the train station, Miles pointed at the large archway which lead into the train station. "Through those doors is a wonder of engineering. Machines that go faster than any horse on earth taking us distances in a day that would take weeks by horse."

Miles pulled her close, and said, "You know what goes bump in the night and what to fear... not any of this..we can hide in this, we can use the population to disappear and mix in, the dark brood have to find us, not the other way around. "

She nodded there were train tracks not too far from the village. Though she had never been on one. She remained close against him as they walked. Still wary of so many people being so close together.

I have seen them pass on the tracks over the hill on the other side of the village from where we left.

Giving Nadya a slight squeeze, Miles smiled warmly and kept her close. If his closeness made her feel safe, who was he to argue. He could understand why she'd be a bit stunned and drawn in due to the fact that the population of her village could fit into this tram car. Trying to sound positive, to help her overcome her nervousness, he smiled brightly and said,

"If you were amazed by that, you'll be stunned by what awaits us inside.."

Walking through the main doors of the train station there were crowds, but they were not wall to wall, from the main sitting area, Miles found the ticket counter and paid for tickets, asking for a private cabin. The man behind the desk simply took one look at Nadya and smiled, giving Miles the their tickets, saying "Down the northern portal to platform 23, you should see engine 10 awaiting you. Enjoy your trip.." With a slight smile, he waved them on awaiting his next customer.

Taking Nadya's hand in his Miles could lightly feel her heartbeat in his hand, her nervousness, and the apprehension she felt about where they were. It was understandable and unavoidable to a degree. He'd just hope that having private quarters might ease her fears a bit.

Making the walk out the back of the station, Miles spied the train that would take them west, and eventually north to their hopeful destination near the northern coast. reaching platform 23, which took them between two of the massive passenger trains, the steam and noise gave them the aura of two giant metal beasts, ready to awaken and as they reached engine 10, Miles found the first car to first class and helped Nadya up and on to the train car. Getting up himself, Miles motioned for Nadya to press on, pointing down the corridor.

The aged wood, and smells of the train gave it life, age, and an aura that the train car had hundreds of stories to tell, some tragic, some inspiring. From Miles perspective, he'd hope the trip to Germany would be an opportunity for them to get to know each other, a sort of calm before the storm.

Finally at their compartment, Miles waved Nadya in and took a look at where they'd be spending their time together. There were two large benches on either side, giving them plenty of room to lay out and relax, and after the day they'd had, such a thing was a welcome sight, well at least to Miles. Moving about, he took a seat and stretched his legs out, hoping she'd do the same. "Have a seat, we should be safe here. I don't sense any dead zones or the dark brood. They'll be too busy with others, which should give us enough time to get going."

There would be plenty of time for them to talk about everything.. and nothing.. but he knew he'd get lost in her eyes.. He'd been lost in them many times before, observing quietly from a far.. now, so close.. he'd fall into the abyss and never return.. Shaking his head, Miles knew he'd been staring at her.. and knew she'd pick up on it.. Bracing himself for any question she might ask, he hoped she wouldn't.. but knew he'd have to answer...

Last edited:
She sat down but studied the compartment they were in carefully till her eyes met with his.

Is something wrong Miles?

"I... um nothing.. Just thinking of a few things. wondering if there's something more I can do to ease your nervousness.."

Now wasn't the time to talk about his desire for her, their survival should be his concern, their only concern, but each time she spoke his eyes were drawn to her lips.. Such kissable lips he'd imagined pressing his own to on dark nights, cold nights when the warmth of a woman would be welcome, but a fantasy.

"I'm sure you have a thousand other questions though. We'll have plenty of time to address them all.."

She lifted a brow. It felt like they were all keeping something from her or maybe they each had a secret they kept from her. Everything had changed yet didn't. Wasn't it these same dark wolves that randomly attacked the village. Now she knew that was her fault. It was wolves now protecting her from their own kind. Her father being the hunter of legends yet she knew nothing of all of this their world but was somehow supposed to save it.

Leaning forward, Miles genuinely was concerned. His eyes looking directly into hers as his hands were in his lap, fingers inner twined.

"What's going through your mind? please tell me.. let me know what I can do to help..."

he thought of a thousand questions she'd wonder why he looked at her so fondly.. it was a question he was afraid to answer if she asked..

As Miles completed his thought, a jostle of the train caught him completely off guard as they began to pull away from the station. He was already leaning forward, attempting an intimate conversation, and the sudden movement sent him directly into her. Reaching out quickly, one hand ended up on her waist, the other on the seat back behind her. So close he could smell her hair, her natural pheromones that was her.. The temptation to kiss her was there again...

"Oph!.. Sorry Nadya.. "

How can I save a world I was intentionally....

Suddenly be was closer than ever... Her protector... Her wolf...

She shook that last thought from her mind.

Its... Its okay it startled me too.

From his position, so close, Miles became quickly intoxicated by her natural pheromones.. He meant to draw back, but he was so close the urge to kiss Nadya was inches away, and while the protector in him was calling out telling him to sit down, a lonely part of his personality desperately wanted her.

As he drew back their cheeks touched, setting every hair on his neck on end, he meant to give her space, but that just wasn't going to happen. Miles was less than an inch from her, their noses nearly touching, he could feel the warmth of her breath as he pushed himself back, only to feel another jostle of the train, pushing him face to face with Nadya again.

His lips met hers, and time froze...he wanted this to last, but knew it shouldn't.. he had to draw away but couldn't. After what felt like what could be hours but must have been only seconds, Miles pulled away, shocked internally that he'd kissed her, wanting to be ashamed,but wasn't.

Miles tried to croak out an apology..but words wouldn't come. "I......I..."

She bit her lip but... Smiled softly.

Well if this train is going to keep tossing us around perhaps we should sit next to each other so not to bang our heads together.

She wondered if there had been a kiss or the innocence of getting tossed together.

"I'm sorry... um...." Clearing his throat he looked into her eyes and heard her invitation to sit next to her.

"Yea.. probably a good thought..."

sitting next to Nadya a few things went through his mind, all of which were probably inappropriate for the moment... but the silence was there.. He'd listen to her heartbeat, was she calm? was she happily surprised?? listening.. would tell him a lot..

Back