Another Windows 10 Rant or Fuck You Microsoft

What, you think we used terminals to code? Nope, 80 column punch cards to start, then IBM came out with the 96 column cards. Machine code = Assembly.

We used the 80 column cards on the 1401 and programmed with the character set shown in this article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_1401

The 1401 Symbolic Progamming System (SPS) assembler was too slow and took up memory we needed for other work.

I remember the first time someone in a forum had a signature that provided my IP and city. I was shocked. Now I wouldn't be shocked if they tweeted my dick size at 3 am.

Seriously. I wasn't even half hard in that dick pik and I only sent it to Melanoma to tease her about marrying a short-fingered orange vulgarian.

rj

That bit of code has been around forever. It only shows it to you. No one else can see it.

Last edited:
I did Fortran on a system 360/70 in 1970/71.
I never did manage to fathom how to do square roots or hyperbole in Fortran.

Fortran was the premier mathematics programing language, but all I did with it was actuarial programing. Present Values, Future Values, Payment, Mortality and Morbidity. All easily done with a formula and tables. As for the scientific stuff, not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
I owe Zeb a public bow-down. I challenged him, and I was wrong, and so sir, I bow to you.
TY for keeping me on my toes.
R

I did Fortran on a system 360/70 in 1970/71.
I never did manage to fathom how to do square roots or hyperbole in Fortran.
I was on a Sys 360/50 a couple years before then but it was all COBOL and JCL for a big insurance company. The actuaries did math but the accounting systems never went beyond basic arithmetic. Many math grads hired as application programmer/analysts felt their educations were wasted.

That bit of code has been around forever. It only shows it to you. No one else can see it.

That was in the mid-90s. Before we were to learn what a dangerous place the new World Wide Web could be.

rj

Really. Send me a PM with what you think you have. But I will bet I never receive one.

Let us all know how close he got.

I tend to try to look up people who email me through literotica. My hit rate is somewhere around 1 in 3 or 1 in 4. A lot of people simply don't bother with throwaway email addresses, and the people who use gmail often don't realize they're visibly tied to their other google+ information. If I get as far as a last name or town name I contact them and tell them what I learned, and how. One was offended, most were grateful, a few didn't get why I bothered.

There are a few psychos wandering around Lit. This is not a place to leave breadcrumbs.

Let us all know how close he got.

I tend to try to look up people who email me through literotica. My hit rate is somewhere around 1 in 3 or 1 in 4. A lot of people simply don't bother with throwaway email addresses, and the people who use gmail often don't realize they're visibly tied to their other google+ information. If I get as far as a last name or town name I contact them and tell them what I learned, and how. One was offended, most were grateful, a few didn't get why I bothered.

There are a few psychos wandering around Lit. This is not a place to leave breadcrumbs.

Not even close on my, name. Just my other pen name.

As for cities, my profiles over at Smashword mention the two he guessed. Now if the authors name is phony, do you think the bio isn't?

He guessed Chicago and Houston, both of which I have mentioned many a times on the boards.

Again, could they be correct? I ain't tellin'.

Last edited:
We used the 80 column cards on the 1401 and programmed with the character set shown in this article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_1401

The 1401 Symbolic Progamming System (SPS) assembler was too slow and took up memory we needed for other work.

I learned to read from punchcards. (Well, my parents brought old cards home and wrote words on them in texta.) I never programmed with physical punchcards myself, but I've worked with programs that still had obvious legacies from the card days.

Did a little bit of work in Fortran and a lot in another Fortran-based language, but it's been a long time since I touched those. Can't say I miss them :)

Y'all have proved that you are really, really old.

Congrats on not dying yet.

I used to be able to tune a 4-bbl carb and swap out a U-joint.

But that was then. Ask me to work on a Prius, and I'd be fucked.

Peace,
R

Old! The hottest car on the mean streets of Chicago back when I was old enough to care about such things, was a, believe it or not, Jaguar XKE, straight 6 with tri-power. Out ran Corvettes.

My first engine rebuild was a '56 Buick 325 V8. We were putting it in a 1946 Ford Coupe. Never quite finished it. My buddy who was helping got drafted and spent 2 years in Vietnam. I sold the car to another friend who eventually finished it. The only problem I had with the finished car was he painted it metal flake green. Green!

Old enough?

Y'all have proved that you are really, really old.

Congrats on not dying yet.

I used to be able to tune a 4-bbl carb and swap out a U-joint.

But that was then. Ask me to work on a Prius, and I'd be fucked.

Peace,
R

My first car was a 1952 Ford E493A Prefect. It was the same technology as the 1933 Ford 8 (that's 8 horsepower 933cc not 8 cylinders!). Most things could be fixed with a screwdriver, a hammer and fencing wire. I fixed the exhaust with a Heinz Baked Bean tin and the wire. It was good enough to get home, as was the lump of wood used to tension the fan belt when the dynamo mounting broke.

6244944.jpg

Many of my friends started with early Austin Sevens. They were cheap to buy in the late 1950s, easy to fix and cheap to run.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAVeAAAAJDcyNDE1OTdhLTllYWUtNDI0Ni1iZmJhLTE4ZDBjYTY0MzdlNw.jpg

Dad made my skateboards out of pine slabs and rusty old roller skates. Bust yer buns!

Old! The hottest car on the mean streets of Chicago back when I was old enough to care about such things, was a, believe it or not, Jaguar XKE, straight 6 with tri-power. Out ran Corvettes.

Old enough?

Ah. We called it the E type.
A signally beautiful car, even by today's computer-aided standards.
Of course it outran the Corvettes.

My first car was a Morris Oxford, 1622 cc
(please don't ask me what that it is cubic inches; it ain't big enough)

Ah. We called it the E type.
A signally beautiful car, even by today's computer-aided standards.
Of course it outran the Corvettes.

My first car was a Morris Oxford, 1622 cc
(please don't ask me what that it is cubic inches; it ain't big enough)

Let's see 1622cc is 1.622cl which would be 98.98051 ci(cubic inches) Your right, not enough. Although didn't the Cooper Mini only have a 98 ci engine?

Damn, y'all, thanks for making this soon to be old dude feel remarkably young! (Though I first learned how to program with Pascal.)

Back to the topic at hand - I found this "how to" reinstall Win 10 without any bloatware. It's from PC World's Answer Line. I'm sure none of the computer experts will have a need for this, but maybe someone with a little less savvy will find it useful:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3141742/windows/how-to-reinstall-windows-10-without-any-bloatware.html

Good luck!

Back