The China Pearl Inn part 10

I have many talents, but languages has not been one of them. I grew up with a speech impediment and then add on my southern slang and then a very under educated family, my ability to learn new languages has been stunted.

I can learn to understand languages I don't know, but speaking them is almost impossible for me.

Oh that's just hogwash! Any new skill requires time to become talented. I can totally understand not having the time, resources, or desire to learn a new language, but I cannot understand giving up before you've really tried it.

Oh that's just hogwash! Any new skill requires time to become talented. I can totally understand not having the time, resources, or desire to learn a new language, but I cannot understand giving up before you've really tried it.

I gave Spanish 3 years :p .I tried Gaelic for the better part of a year. Even tried Cantonese for a while.

I think the problem lies in the muscle memory of my speech impediment. It took me years to get past that, some words just don't ever sound right.

Well then, top me up with your special remedy! I could use all the ease I can get right now.

I tried to eat a little something about 10 minutes ago and am literally writhing in pain at my desk as I try to digest. This is bad. Very bad.

But glad to hear about your house closing. You'll have it sorted in no time at all.

Well I certainly hope so Shiva as I have been at odds ends sense July.

I whip up some honey and lemon with a good shot of whiskey and hot steaming water and mix it well and slide it over to Shiva.

Think of it as a hot whiskey sour Shiva. ;) Bottoms up! :p

I gave Spanish 3 years :p .I tried Gaelic for the better part of a year. Even tried Cantonese for a while.

I think the problem lies in the muscle memory of my speech impediment. It took me years to get past that, some words just don't ever sound right.

Learning a new language Kama is as much listening as speaking. It can be very difficult if you do not have someone to speak with. Computer programs can help both nothing is better that talking with a living breathing person. ;)

There is more to learning a language than speaking it. One could easily know the grammer, read and write it, without ever speaking it properly.

Well I certainly hope so Shiva as I have been at odds ends sense July.

I whip up some honey and lemon with a good shot of whiskey and hot steaming water and mix it well and slide it over to Shiva.

Think of it as a hot whiskey sour Shiva. ;) Bottoms up! :p

A HOT whiskey sour?

*I sniff the drink and look at him*

You sure this is a thing??

*Without waiting for an answer, I down it in two big gulps, clearly unnaffected by the temperature of the water.*

*wiping my mouth*

Eh not bad!!

You'll have a home just in time for the holidays!

Hey yourself ;) :heart: Thank you for thinking of me.

Been a tad bit offline reclusive lately, and now sick so I suddenly have a bit of time on my hands.

How're you? :rose:

Sorry to hear you’re sick Shiva, I prescribe a hot bath, a bottle of whisky and I’ll get one of my medics to give you a full body massage.

I’m fine. Handing over my office to an American based in Norway, a military nurse who leaves the army in December 2019. That’s when I return from maternity leave. I’m due to leave here Thursday. My midwife (a girl I trained) tells me I’m due January 20th. I make it January 11th.

Robyn & Sal are in a school trying to sell the army to school leavers. When I did that I received a love letter from a 15 year old boy who wanted me to run away with him!

CG, I see the new inn already has 4 pages - makes it the greatest site on Lit.

Well G G we are a chatty bunch after all. :devil:ish :kiss:

A years Maternity leave aren't you the lucky one Miss. I love that your midwife say 2oth of January and you say the 11th. My mom figured her due date, and decided to visit family up in Quebec. So according to her I was four weeks premature and weighting in at 8lbs 10oz.

You nurses. :rolleyes:

A HOT whiskey sour?

*I sniff the drink and look at him*

You sure this is a thing??

*Without waiting for an answer, I down it in two big gulps, clearly unnaffected by the temperature of the water.*

*wiping my mouth*

Eh not bad!!

You'll have a home just in time for the holidays!

I laugh as Shiva downs her drink in no more that a gulp or two.

Glad to see you like it Shiva. ;)

Yes should actually move in first week of December so things will be very busy then but I am sure I can make some time for the Inn and writing. :D

Oh look, a shiny new incarnation of the Inn. Still looks and smells like home.

*smiles and makes herself cosy*

So I had a nice long week with Badger and that was grand, but now I'm quite the sick one. So I'm off work and on antibiotics until further notice.

Hope you've all been keeping well. I could use a shot of fine whiskey and something warm to put it in.

*offers up a share of the whisky, comfy chair and something warm to snuggle into*

Wow, lots of familiar faces. Hi everyone. :)

I knew I needed two years of a foreign language to get into college so I started taking Spanish. Most of the kids I knew were taking Latin. But we lived in Southern California so taking Spanish made more sense to me. The class was predominantly grammar. I figured since I didn't like doing the English grammar exercises, I wouldn't go overboard with the Spanish conjugations. A year and a half later, I was barely passing the class and grateful that the whole ordeal was almost over, only to find out that the two years I had taken would not be counted towards college as I took them too early. So I had to take two more years. I liked the last year because it was mostly reading. But in all four years, there was very little conversation that wasn't directed by the textbook.

I didn't plan on speaking it again, but, you know how that goes. When I graduated from college I ended up working in an area that was 98% Spanish speaking. I could read and write Spanish pretty well, my grammar isn't great, but I struggle with understanding spoken Spanish because I have auditory processing problems. It has been twenty years since I worked in that area and I have lost most of words. Sometimes I still find myself talking to some kid in Spanish in my dreams though. LOL I am sure the grammar is perfect then. :rolleyes::D

I spent about five minutes trying to learn Navajo but it is too gutteral for me. I can't get those deep throat sounds to come out. Course I never could roll my Rs either.

So I completely understand the difficulty learning a new language. One of my greatest reliefs in life is that I was born in an English speaking household. English is a horribly difficult language to learn because the rules make no sense. I am always impressed with people that learn the darn language.

Everyone deployable is going somewhere? Rats, they just got home. Any chance Rick will be there for the baby's birth?

Good Evening All!

Just catching up a bit. I have been working on a turkey farm these last few days, and, amazingly, nothing I do requires a computer, thus have not been online.

GG, I am relieved your leave comes soon. I think of you and your cub often.

Robyn, I have finally posted to Charlotte. Thank you for accepting my periodic absences.

Shiva, I think a hot whiskey sour is called a Hot Toddy. I have made them for years. I am not sure of the curative qualities, but at least you don't care as much. :)

CG, thanks for Inn X! A venerable institution must be preserved.

Good Evening All!

Just catching up a bit. I have been working on a turkey farm these last few days, and, amazingly, nothing I do requires a computer, thus have not been online.

GG, I am relieved your leave comes soon. I think of you and your cub often.

Robyn, I have finally posted to Charlotte. Thank you for accepting my periodic absences.

Shiva, I think a hot whiskey sour is called a Hot Toddy. I have made them for years. I am not sure of the curative qualities, but at least you don't care as much. :)

CG, thanks for Inn X! A venerable institution must be preserved.

Well that sounds like a loud work environment. But no computer use? Heaven's, that is hard to imagine. ;):D

Ohhh I put lots of cute and fun things in crates. You should see the leather and rope crate I keep in the room.

Kinky! I like it.

Hello Everyone. We're a chatty lot, aren't we. Thought I'd pop in for a few. Just got home from work. I need to relax.

And...and... I want my avatar back. *pout* I want my nick back too *double pout*. I know I've used my password before. I just can't remember it and I didn't write it down either, darn it.

You have NOOOO idea :)

The new inn has been chatty, its nice.

How are you LF and SF and of course you, Cait?

I am tired but well, Kama. Thank you for asking. At the moment I am working on my next part for you.

*grins* I may not have any idea as yet, but nothing will surprise me. Especially since I am one kinky nut myself.

I am tired but well, Kama. Thank you for asking. At the moment I am working on my next part for you.

*grins* I may not have any idea as yet, but nothing will surprise me. Especially since I am one kinky nut myself.

I look forward to your post, I have a feeling this story is gonna get a bit kinker then hunting wabbits.

Oh I do love it when are darker passions raise their heads Cait. :devil:ish :D

Well if nothing else I am consistent Cait. And I fear part of my DNA, :eek:

Back