Isolated Blurts - The HT Cafe Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_ly7mmrCzac1r2dhjpo1_500.gif

Good news! I'm almost positive it isn't due till Friday, so no violence yet ;)

That awkward moment when my former high-school teachers ask me for teaching advice.

It's flattering but odd.

Double-post here:

At the beginning of the semester, one of my students informed me that even though I recommend that students not mess with electronic devices during class, he was going to continue to text because he believed that he could multitask effectively. Because, you know, multitasking worked really well for him when he failed the class last semester. :rolleyes:

Anyone want to predict what his final grade is going to be? :cool:

Double-post here:

At the beginning of the semester, one of my students informed me that even though I recommend that students not mess with electronic devices during class, he was going to continue to text because he believed that he could multitask effectively. Because, you know, multitasking worked really well for him when he failed the class last semester. :rolleyes:

Anyone want to predict what his final grade is going to be? :cool:

Is it going to be D for dumb ass or F for fucktard?

Is it going to be D for dumb ass or F for fucktard?
We have a winner!

Dude wants to be a nurse, but he has bigger issues than his inability to multitask and his crappy work ethic. I'm doing the world a favor.

Three other students in that class also aspire to our nursing program. Two of those students are functionally illiterate and read and write at a lower level than my nine-year-old; one of the two thinks that when she becomes a nurse and lands a job, her employer will pay for her to go to medical school. :eek:

has anyone explained to your unrealistically ambitious student that substandard reading comprehension skills are a real impediment to her education?

there's something ironic about your having that conversation with her...i just can't put my finger on it...

ed

has anyone explained to your unrealistically ambitious student that substandard reading comprehension skills are a real impediment to her education?
This is a first for me, but one student's reading skills are so poor that she can't understand the syllabus well enough to manage due dates (you can imagine what her work is like when she does turn it in!).

Oh, the joys of being open-enrollment. Our only standard for admission is the ability to fog a mirror, and TPTB have been known to waive that requirement. ;) That said, individual programs (education, nursing, and others) have fairly stringent admissions requirements and, in the case of some of the health programs, waiting lists, so getting into our university doesn't guarantee that students will end up in their chosen program.
there's something ironic about your having that conversation with her...i just can't put my finger on it...
I know, right? :p

That's why I've referred a couple of these students to a department that's supposed to help them, but they've not been receptive to help because the "stupid class" and the "stupid instructor" are the problem.

have you and z already compared notes about the poor preparation that high school provides?

ed

have you and z already compared notes about the poor preparation that high school provides?

ed
We've discussed it on Facebook a bit.

One of my former high-school English teachers and I have talked as well. He knows that his school isn't doing a great job of preparing students for college, but he feels like his hands are tied. I think he did an excellent job of preparing me for college, but he wasn't bound by NCLB in 1989.

It's not all bad news, though. I've done a lot of hand-wringing about my lower-functioning students, but my research-writing class is the best group of students I've encountered. Sometimes they get me through the day :)

Concentrate on the positive, sometimes that is all one can do.

The positive side is that hopefully these fucktards won't ever make it into the medical field, or any field for that matter, that puts the lives of others into their hands.

The positive side is that hopefully these fucktards won't ever make it into the medical field, or any field for that matter, that puts the lives of others into their hands.
Most of us who teach Gen-Ed classes take our role as gatekeeper very seriously. :)

They will go into Medical billing and then call and make my life a living hell. ;)

Must be almost bed time. Thank god this week is done.
Amen sister!

My husband is at the strippers, wonder if I can find a babysitter and go join him.

I love strippers. I think it's all the glitter and the fake boobies. Oooohhhhh shiny.

Blurt: Please 4:30 pm, get here as soon as possible. I need a martini.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back