"Because it's there."

Peregrinator said:
Excellent. Can I cash them in like Green Stamps?
They're good for either intervening verbiage or a free pass out of any grammatically difficult situation.
 
Peregrinator said:
I'd love to see that one...is it old enough that Joel is still on the show?

Hey, btw, biner, it's a rule that noobs have to show boobage here. And welocme to Lit.


Thanks for the welcome !
The only boobage it'll get you will be covered by gore-tex and duct tape, but that's because I don't want to show up the ladies in the women of climbing calendar.
(ha ha)
 
Oscuridad said:
They're good for either intervening verbiage or a free pass out of any grammatically difficult situation.
Tchah. Maybe I'll use them someday.
 
biner said:
Thanks for the welcome !
The only boobage it'll get you will be covered by gore-tex and duct tape, but that's because I don't want to show up the ladies in the women of climbing calendar.
(ha ha)

Rules is rules, darlin. You can't come to a place called "Literotica" and not expect to be ogled.

Good to have an Official Climbing Chick around though.
 
Peregrinator said:
I generally don't have too much trouble navigating grammar.
And yet I spend no time with the those listers that do.

There is something amiss with my system, I think.

Perhaps points should be redeemable for high quality drivel?
Or porn, maybe.
 
Oscuridad said:
And yet I spend no time with the those listers that do.

There is something amiss with my system, I think.

Perhaps points should be redeemable for high quality drivel?
Or porn, maybe.

Either of those are always welcome...check my gman thread for a good practice ground.
 
So I decided to look at the area where the expedition is supposed to be going. The nearest town is called Mazar, for you mapgeeks. That's right around where Osama Bin Laden is thought to be hiding. Nothing like adding some drama to an already difficult task.
 
RIP Todd Skinner

goodmorningdavi just posted a thread with this awful news:

http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?news=15219




05:30 am EST Oct 25, 2006
(MountEverest.net/Madrid) American Todd Skinner, one of Yosemite’s free-climbing pioneers, perished yesterday on the Leaning Tower – a demanding big wall in the Valley. Todd fell to his death while rappelling down the wall, Park personnel reported. Apparently Skinner and a climbing partner had opened a new route on the Tower. The cause of the accident is being investigated by the Mariposa County coroner's office.

The free climber

Born in Pinedale, Wyoming, Skinner learned climbing techniques from his father, with whom he started climbing at age 10. Since then, Skinner accomplished more than 300 first ascents in 26 countries. He had practiced all climbing disciplines, from bouldering to Himalayan ascents. However, his main asset was free-climbing big wall routes. His most famous achievement was the first free-climb to El Capitan’s Salathe Wall (VI 513b), teaming up with Paul Piana. That climb almost ended up in tragedy, since a huge rock hit the climbers right after reaching the summit, leaving Todd with broken ribs and Piana with a broken leg.

Tod Skinner also bagged the first free ascent of the north face of Mt. Hooker in the Wind River Range, the first free ascent of The Great Canadian Knife in the Cirque of the Unclimbables (Yukon Territories), and the first free ascent of the Northwest Direct Route on Half Dome (Yosemite).

From Yosemite to Karakorum

In Pakistan’s Karakorum, Todd completed the first free ascent of the East Face of Trango Tower – back then the first grade 7 free-climb in the world.

Other achievements were a new route (first free ascent) on Kaga Pamari, (Hand of Fatima Group, Mali); a new route (first free ascent) named “War and Poetry” on Ulamertorsuaq (Greenland); and the First free ascent of the East Face of Poi, Ndoto Mountains (Kenya).

Skinner, who was 48, is survived by his wife and fellow climber, Amy Whisler Skinner, and three children.

The Leaning Tower is among the best-known big walls in Yosemite Valley. Its West face overhangs an average of 110 degrees on its lower part, while the upper section averages about 95 degrees - making it one of America's most continuously overhanging cliffs. Its 11-pitches classic route (opened by Warren Harding, Glen Denny, and George Whitemore in 1961) is heavily bolted, which has raised some controversy but also made the route feasible for a number of climbing parties from all over the world.

Skinner was a driven, visionary climber who rubbed a few people the wrong way over the years. personality issues aside, however, he was truly great at what he did, climbing huge, incredibly difficult walls all over the world.

Some random pics:

todd1.jpg


archive59.jpg


climbing-magazine-110.jpg


11700329.jpg


Climb11.jpg
 
vetteman said:
sex_tree.jpg



Nookie sighting.
Excellent. Somewhere I have a whole bunch of pics like that...in an old email maybe. I'll see if I can dig them up and post them.
 
Peregrinator said:
Haven't seen it. I'll have to go check it out. Are the models actual climbers, or models posed on rocks?

No they are very real climbers showing off moves that would leave me hanging in my harness... or on the crash pad. :rolleyes:
 
spyro1123 said:
No they are very real climbers showing off moves that would leave me hanging in my harness... or on the crash pad. :rolleyes:
Cool...I haven't owned a climbing calendar in years.
 
biner said:
Whoo Hoo !
Very nice pic - who (besides you) / where / when ?
That's me and a very close friend who may not want to be identified here, on top of Mt Monadnock in NH (all of maybe 3000 feet or something), at the culmination of a winter mountaineering course we took a long time ago, our introduction to the sport, though we had been rock climbing for a couple years by then. I love that pic, because of the promise, the exuberance in it.
 
Back
Top