Question Re: Content

KeyCaress

Virgin
Joined
Nov 23, 2016
Posts
5
I am curious if it is common for one to be flamed for the incidental content of a story here.

Specifically I have written two stories about my younger days. Both of them have mentions of drug use; because when I was young there were illicit drugs, and I used them, so it factors into some of the narratives I write about that time.

Both stories have attracted rather rude flaming Anonymous comments (that I have deleted because to hell with that crap). Is this just a thing that happens here that should be ignored or have I crossed some invisible line that I should self-censor for?

links to the stories for reference :
https://www.literotica.com/s/a-relaxing-afternoon-pt-01
https://www.literotica.com/s/what-a-strange-trip-its-been
 
Is this just a thing that happens here that should be ignored or have I crossed some invisible line that I should self-censor for?

Self-censor if you feel the need.

Drug use is a polarizing proposition--more so than I ever thought it would be. Sometimes those easily-disturbed people are going to find your story and sometimes they won't, so the reaction you get will be variable.
 
Fuck em all! "This above all, to thine own self be true." The drug use of the sixties was a shaping experience for all of us, and not necessarily in a negative way. Tim O'Brien could not tell his soul shaking stories without including drug use.It was also a political tool, used both ways. In addition, drug use of some sort has always been a part of every human culture.

Finally, those anonymous cowards who ding you for putting drug use in your stories probably drown themselves in booze every day.

Keep the faith, not true, but true to life
 
Fuck em all! "This above all, to thine own self be true." The drug use of the sixties was a shaping experience for all of us, and not necessarily in a negative way.

I am reminded of Hunter S. Thompson, and shall approach all of the Anons flaming an inconsequential portion of my stories as such...

With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he’ll never know.

I shall proudly wear my red woolen shirt.
 
Yes, it is common to get mad ranting anon comments.
I got some on my one and only story (no drugs, just mild bdsm). I looked at other recent comments in the same category and most of them had almost exactly the same comments!
So no, don't self-censor. Ignore or delete the idiots.
 
I am curious if it is common for one to be flamed for the incidental content of a story here.

Specifically I have written two stories about my younger days. Both of them have mentions of drug use; because when I was young there were illicit drugs, and I used them, so it factors into some of the narratives I write about that time.

Both stories have attracted rather rude flaming Anonymous comments (that I have deleted because to hell with that crap). Is this just a thing that happens here that should be ignored or have I crossed some invisible line that I should self-censor for?

links to the stories for reference :
https://www.literotica.com/s/a-relaxing-afternoon-pt-01
https://www.literotica.com/s/what-a-strange-trip-its-been

Hi Key, I'm new here myself, so certainly can't speak for anyone. But in my mind, self-editing is important, self-censorship is not. You have to be yourself, and tell your tales your way.
I'm a child of the 70's, and coke, pot, acid, and mushrooms are a part of my history (sexual and otherwise). I sometimes regret it, but I don't deny it and won't try to hide it.

Be true to yourself, listen to the smart critics, and fuck all the haters.

Now I'm going to go read your stories. :)
Peace,
R
 
I am curious if it is common for one to be flamed for the incidental content of a story here.

It happens, yeah. I've seen other authors get flamed for similar stuff. But I think it's a pretty small minority of readers, so don't worry too much about it.
 
Yes it happens, often for me. I've prefaced my stories with a disclaimer that 'inappropriate comments will be dealt with' which is vague enough to make people pause I think. I don't get nearly as many as I used to. To clarify, I have no issue with criticism as long as it's constructive, but nothing irks me like someone who thinks that I wrote my story incorrectly, or the nit-picking of those who style themselves as professional copy editors. The only comments I delete are those which are flames towards me or others that comment.

I also have feedback open so I get a few through email as well. I find that those are the cowards, to try and flame me anonymously over, once again, perceived violations of their way of thinking in my story.
A recent example:
You ruined this story when Kate shaved her bush off without any indication from him that he would like that sort of modern perversion of what a woman should look like. I stopped reading what was a pretty good story at that point and see no reason to look over what else you have written.

How dare she make a decision about her own body without asking her boyfriends permission! <rolls eyes>

Best advice is to go through your comments regularly, if you feel a response is necessary then do that in the comments, I do it occasionally, or delete the comment and move on.
 
If it's essential to the narrative or character then I don't see why drug use should be a problem in a story. If it's autobiographical (or in part) then I for one wouldn't judge you for it. What a shame, people can be so self-righteous `t times. Ignore the negative Anonymous comments. I've had one or two. None of us are professional writers (ok, maybe some are) and we're just trying our best to write a story that will connect with other people. Ok, maybe it's not perfect or there's an aspect of it (drug use in this case) but that's no reason to just be mean to people.
 
Back
Top