Highness

The night before had been a long one for Sabirah. She spent hours longer in the Emperor’s chambers sifting through documents. She had to figure out what to do about Amir Hadad. He managed one of the smaller parcels of land within the Empire. He was unwed as of yet and had taken control of his father’s holdings when he had passed. Sabirah didn’t like him. He drank too much at gatherings, his tongue was loose with the ladies and his personal reputation had slipped because of it. So why did her father keep this fool around? He could have easily stripped lands, title and monies and sent him packing. It took some digging, but Sabirah finally found the piece of the puzzle written in one of the proclamations. She tried to keep him off her mind as she stepped into the receiving hall.

Sabirah had chosen pale yellow gown that hung just off her shoulders and clung to her curves. The color accentuated the bronze of her skin and, she believed, it met Marsdan’s request. She carried a soft, white shawl to compliment the gown and well as using it as a tool of modesty. She smiled at the thought. She could break a few rules of fashion and veer away from the heavier and cumbersome pieces for the sake of comfort. Open court was tiring and she found it was far easier to move around in. It did however, also remove the sense of security she had. The layers of fabric somehow separated her from the world, obfuscating most of her from the discerning or roving eye. Sabirah wasn’t sure how she felt about that, but it was too late to turn around and change. She had made the decision and she’d just have to get used to it for the day. Her ladies three were standing near the back of the room, clearly proud of their efforts in helping Sabirah get ready for the day and Sabirah noted the smiles on their faces. Well, if that wasn’t approval enough, she wasn’t sure what would be.

“Good day, Lords and Ladies of the court. Before we get started with the rest of the business I would like to address one piece of it before all others,” she began, taking her seat.

Sabirah motioned to the guards. “Bring forth Amir Hadad from the cells.”

She watched as the two guards disappeared behind the doors at the far end of the hall. It would take a moment or two to get him collected. She listened as the gathered broke out into soft conversations that, over time, gradually filled the hall with sound. Sabirah’s secretary, Novar, held the agenda in his hands. Sabirah motioned him over.

She spoke quietly as he leaned over. “I want to give this individual the opportunity to redeem himself. I am going to assign him to assist you with the details for the tournament.” Novar nodded and stepped back. Her eyes scanned the room looking from face to face, noting who was present. She didn’t see any malice in their faces, but then, one rarely identified true evil until it was too late. Sabirah returned her focus to the doors as they opened and Lord Amir Hadad was escorted in.

Sabirah didn’t take her eyes off of him. He strode purposely towards her and held his chin high. Three days didn’t do much to his sense of self, but perhaps it gave him time to think on what had occurred. She watched as he took a knee and bowed his head. She let him kneel there a moment or two before she acknowledged him, allowing him to rise.

“Lord Amir Hadad, I am now releasing you from the three days spent in the cells for placing your hands upon a royal person. I understand you may have not recognized me immediately, but your behavior based on that ignorance was neither pleasing nor gentile. You still laid your hands upon me and made certain suggestions I did not appreciate nor approve of. I doubt any self-respecting woman would. Do you have anything you would like to say?” Sabirah paused, studying him.

He bowed again, making sure he still made eye contact with Sabirah. A smile formed on his face.

“My Queen, thought I regret my actions deeply and it was my mistake, I have spent three days in reflection and I can assure you it will not happen again. Meaning no disrespect, but I can say with most certainty there are women who would welcome my attention and do, even here in court.”

A flash of anger crossed Sabirah’s features and she quickly buried her emotion as she rose from her chair.

“That may be true, but I won’t have guests being pawed like meat. I trust you’ve learned that lesson. As a favor to your family who has served the throne loyally and continually, I am going to give you an opportunity to redeem yourself. You will report to Navar to help him with a project I’ve assigned. If I’ve found your assistance valuable and you change your attitude, I will reconsider your petition to join our forces on the next campaign. Do we have an accord?” She asked.

Amir Hadad registered surprise on his face. Despite his verbal jab, she had shown mercy. Sabirah watched as his smile turned genuine. He bowed his head in acceptance and she was pleased.

“Very good. I look forward to hearing great things in the future, and hope your service to the throne is as valuable as your father before you,” Sabirah answered, taking a seat once again.

It had turned out his family had a long line of service to the throne and his father, particularly, was a decorated noble and had always supported her father in his endeavors. It was Sabirah's responsibility to uphold her father's favor, though the son was proving to be a handful. Idle hands were a gateway for trouble. She’d have an easier time keeping him busy and have someone keep an eye on him.

Having dismissed him, she watched as he made his way into the crowd. Now it was time to get to the rest of the day.
 
Marsdan watched the lower court for the morning, arriving not long after Hadad left the throne room. His eyes caught the queen's eyes and he smiled as he settled into place in his usual spot. Aenethea settled into place next to him and looked bored quickly enough.

"What is your fascination with standing here, hour after hour, listening to this drivel?"

Marsdan glanced at her and replied, "This is a good way to learn what is going on in the realm. Sometimes the reports we receive through the regular channels lack some of the salient points that are important."

She grunted an inarticulate snarly remark and Marsdan turned his attention back to the proceedings. The morning went quickly enough and there was an informal lunch served to the supplicants from the morning, and Marsdan went to eat among them.

He chatted easily with the men and women that were there, his attention belonging to each person in turn. Where appropriate he offered advice, and once a promise to personally look into a situation. He knew that Aenethea would bore of the tedium of the 'small folk' soon enough, and once she left he smiled knowingly.

He didn't dare pass a message to the queen or try to meet with her. Instead he busied himself with the common people until the open court began which was reserved for the landed and nobles.
 
Sabirah considered every petition as an important part of her day. It was important for the people to know she took great care with their concerns. After all, their concerns were hers and those concerns affected the empire in some way. Every day she learned something new and she hoped that would continue and expand her understanding.

Now and again her eyes would drift over to Marsdan. He was paying close attention. That was good. He needed to know what these people went through, just as much as she needed to know. Sabirah felt herself lucky he took an interest. But who wouldn’t, really? She was the gateway to the throne.

Sabirah wanted to get to the funeral details, but that would be later in the day. The nobles would soon be filling the hall and she would have to hear what they had to say. She didn’t dismiss what they had to say. They were just as important as the other citizens. Sometimes, she thought, they acted like it was an entitlement. Sabirah didn’t let the thought disturb her. It was just as it had to be. Complicated!
 
Marsdan walked into the open court, which consisted of far less people than the 'small court'. There were only two dozen or so petitioners, but their issues were weightier, sometimes bad enough the solution warranted the attention of the emperor. Other times he served as nothing more as a sounding board. Marsdan knew that in time she would learn the art of when to listen and when not to.

Right now she listened.

Marsdan watched with some interest, and some amusement at the days follies. For nothing this day really warranted Sabirah's real attention.

As the open court closed he slipped from the chamber and went to the mage's council, where the session was already in full bloom.

The council was arranged in order, his seat open, and Marsdan headed toward it. The debate was about whom if anyone the queen should invade next. He listened for hours as they again and again argued the same salient points. Finally Marsdan spoke, "Isn't it the queens decision and we will assist with that decision?"

The mages all looked at him, and one of them said, "Finally."

Aenethea looked at Marsdan, "As the only person on both the war council and the mage council we need for you to guide her toward a particular decision."

He looked at her quizzically, "And that is?"

Aenethea looked back and uttered one word, "Peace."
 
Sabirah had finally managed to escape the open court. Not that it wasn’t necessary, but because she still had to figure out how the funeral was going to proceed. Sabirah, found her way back to the Emperor’s chambers where she was able to take refuge to find peace and a comfortable chair.

The trip from the battlefield would have given all parties an opportunity to view the Emperor upon his return to the palace. There was no need to extend the viewing. She needed a funeral pyre built and she needed her personal chaplain. Sabirah started writing things down.

Pyre
Chaplain
Lodging for official guests
Criers
Monument
Additional security
Attire

Sabirah could have just handed this over in its entirety, but she still felt the need to have a hand in this process. After all, he was her father and she wanted to send him off into the next existence in a proper fashion. She felt the twinges of grief starting to creep back up and she returned her focus to the list of preparations. When all her preferences and instructions were written down, she returned to the hall and handed the list over for the real work to be done.
Now to figure out what Moren was up to.

Sabirah had found his face amongst those that attended open court. He wasn’t one that had issues normally, so this was the second time she had seen him close. The Queen motioned for Alia to attend her. As they sat together, Sabirah motioned the young lady closer and she whispered ever so softly in her ear.

“I need you to insert yourself and gain the confidence of Lord Moren.”

“Is there something specific you need to know?” Alia responded with a whisper.

“I want to know his immediate plans. He’s inserted himself here lately and showing much interest. I want to know why. Bed him if you must, but find out why he’s seeking my attention and who else he’s been talking to,” Sabirah answered.

Alia nodded in understanding and rose to stroll back across the room. Sabirah caught the eye of Lord Moren and smiled. Soon enough, he was engaged in conversation with Alia and Sabirah relaxed. As long as he was engaged, she didn’t concern herself with him. Sabirah plucked a small piece of fruit from the table and watched. She couldn’t guarantee the quiet moment would last with a room partially filled with nobles lingering to strategize or better their position by their service. Whatever the reason, she was able to take a breath.
 
Marsdan left the mages council hours later, his head pounding between his ears. The headache radiated from the central core to the each extremity of his head. He pondered the wishes of the council for peace and wondered where the hell that idea had come from.

He knew it was well past midnight and well past the time that would give him any legitimate reason to see the queen. As he reached the central part of the palace's grounds he turned toward his chambers.

The uneasy feeling that he didn't know everything the mages had planned settled in his stomach and almost distracted him from the hair on the nape of his neck that was standing straight out. "I am being followed," he thought. He stopped suddenly and whomever was behind him was half a step too slow in stopping, and the sound of the gravel moving under foot reached Mardsdan's ears.

Marsdan started walking again and it was only moments later that he heard the distinct dialect of the arcane language. Recognizing the spell being cast Marsdan turned and began a counter spell. The two spells fired and met in the middle lighting up the grounds around them.

"I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE!" Marsdan roared, invoking the arcane laws governing duels. A bubble erupted around Marsdan and his assailant protecting those that would eventually arrive to witness the duel.

His assailant stepped forward and Marsdan looked at her quizzically. "Erelma? What are you doing?"

She looked at him, a steely resolve in her light green eyes as she replied, "Ensuring peace will permeate through Queen Sabirah's reign."

He stepped forward, "There is time still for you to capitulate and live."

Erelma began a new incantation and Marsdan cast a quicker spell and slammed a ram's head made of ice into her chest, knocking the breath from her, and interrupting the casting. Before she landed, Marsdan began casting his next spell and a rain of fire began splashing around her, catching her clothes on fire and boiling her skin almost instantly as it landed on her. As she writhed in pain as the fire rain splattered on her, he cast his final spell, a sickly green snake slide from the space between his hands and slithered toward her.

The snake worked it's way up her body and slid down her throat, choking off her scream as she died. The bubble that appeared as suddenly disappeared and Marsdan completed the combative ritual, "Your challenge was not worthy. What wealth and knowledge was yours is mine."

Marsdan looked and saw the dozen or so people gathered as witnesses, knowing that the magic held them in stasis until enough people were there to see. "Are there any that challenge the duel or it's result?"
 
The sudden noise from the exchange caught the notice of the palace guard and after a moment or two had run up on the courtyard, weapons in hand, to witness the exchange between the two mages. Novar, who had found himself working late, followed up in the rear. Seeing the participants, he sent word to the palace interior.

The exchange was fantastic, drawing incredulous looks from the witnesses. Arcane duels were not a norm, especially in the midst of the palace grounds.
Lady Farah leaned over and woke Sabirah from her sleep.

“There’s been an incident in the palace courtyard, my Queen.”

It took a moment for the words to register as Sabirah shook off the fog of sleep. She sat up.

“What happened?” she asked, yawning.

“A mage’s duel, one of your advisors,” she answered simply.

Sabirah glanced to the large windows. The moon was still high in the sky. What in the name of the heavens would they be conducting a mage’s duel in the middle of the palace at this hour? She groaned inwardly and slipped from under the sheets, abandoning the comfort of the warm bed.

“Bring the victor to the front room,” the Queen instructed, watching Farah as she disappeared through the doorway. Sabirah slipped on a long house coat and buttoned it before migrating into the other room. The Queen rubbed her temples some, wondering what had caused the entire ruckus. Surely people had better things to do at this hour.

The captain of the guard had arrived on scene and was in the midst of questioning several witnesses on the incident. The results of the exchange were clearly warranted and the only offense was the disturbance. By the result, there was nothing more to do. The aggressor was dead. None challenged the necessity of Marsdan’s actions; At least, none that had been direct witnesses.

Lady Farah made her way to the front of the small group of people. She caught his eye long enough to motion to Marsdan and waited to see what else would be said before she would return to her own interrupted rest.
 
Marsdan saw Lady Farah and worked his way over to her. He knew that the duel would have the palace in an uproar, but he had bigger concerns.

"Lady Farah, may I help you?" he asked.

"The Queen wants you to meet her in the front room," she said.

Marsdan nodded and disentangled himself from the crowd and headed toward the queen. It wasn't the midnight assignation that he wanted, and surely there would be witnesses to the meeting, but at least he got to see her before bed.

Marsdan walked down the middle of the front room. A peculiar position he considered as he approached the Queen who had dressed hastily. She sat on the dais that was the center point of the room, all of the architecture and decoration of the room drew your eyes to her.

Inclining his head toward the Queen, "You summoned my Queen?"
 
Sabirah yawned softly, still fighting her desire to return to sleep. Despite the late hour, she just wanted to make sure all was well. It was quite out of the ordinary to have a night such as tonight. She rose from her seat and stepped from the dias. Her hair was still gathered to one side with a single ribbon and she pushed a stray tendril from her face.

“Somehow I guessed I would be seeing you when I was awakened to the news there was some sort of arcane exchange in the midst of the palace grounds.”

She gave him a sleepy smile and motioned to a couple of chairs, settling down in one. She ran her fingers across her forehead briefly before she spoke again.

“What happened?” she asked him.
 
Marsdan sighed as he sat in the chair proffered by Sabirah. He stared off into space wrapping his mind around everything that had happened and then said, "I think there may be some problems coming soon."

When she started to ask why, he waved it off, "I will have to tell you in another setting, maybe tomorrow." His eyes pointedly stared at the wall for a moment before coming back to her.

"Essentially I was ambushed by a much lesser mage on my way back to my chambers tonight. The stated reason was so that peace may be the theme of your reign as queen."

He pursed his lips a moment then continued, "Ours are not a peaceful people, generally. Each monarch is tasked to expand the realm, either a little or a lot, but expand nonetheless. It prevents stagnation, which is the first step toward death of an empire."

He looked around for a glass of wine and not seeing any, said, "We, meaning the ruling class, of which I do have the hubris of considering myself part of, are responsible to not make the mistakes of those who preceded us. Yet, that is precisely what has been asked of you. To conduct no war."

He snorted, and mused, "I wouldn't do peace very well I fear."
 
Sabirah listened as Marsdan related the events of the night. She looked at him incredulously. The look on her face was enough to relay her thoughts on the matter. Peace? That was ridiculous. Even in other lands that claimed peace, it was never lasting. Sabirah just shook her head. Trying to force her to peace was as ridiculous as forcing a child to sit quietly. She would do what she thought was best in her own time. Sabirah’s mood darkened considerably and she paused before she spoke again.

“If the method of asking is in attacking a trusted advisor, I could easily interpret that as a threat and that wouldn’t be pleasant for anyone. Ours are not a peaceful people. Ours are also not a people to be coerced or threatened. I hope that hasn’t slipped anyone’s mind. If it has, I’m sure I can arrange a lasting reminder. Lesser mage or not, that individual was compelled to action. I have to question the compelling factor. Was this the opinion of one, or many...”

Sabirah paused again, letting the statement sink in.

“Now on the other hand,” she said slowly, “if I was approached with facts, I might take those facts into consideration. I am not unreasonable and find all perspectives helpful. ” Dealing with a council of mages was like trying to pacify a spoiled child. The unfortunate fact was they needed a governing body and troops to secure their well-being. Mages were often unwilling to give up their study and preferred to exist under someone else’s rule. Now and again, when they came together, somehow they felt their word was law and the ruling bodies were puppets to their wishes. Sabirah had no intention of bending to their collective will. Absolutely not!

Sabirah rose from her chair. “For tonight, there will be peace as long as my sleep is not disturbed a second time. Otherwise, I cannot guarantee the result in the morning.”

Sabirah finally smiled. Though the circumstances were less than ideal, she was still able to have a few moments to spend with Marsdan. She wanted him to stay, and while it occurred for her to ask she also knew their meeting has been noted. This fact annoyed her to no end. Perhaps one day it wouldn’t have to be so.
 
They sat in a small square. Four hooded people cloaked in formless black cloaks that hid shape and size, leaving the only discernible feature as their height. Each of the chairs were raised into place from separate chambers below. None of the three knew it, one suspected the truth, but each chair floated at a level that would leave the four individuals at exactly the same height.

The room was lit by four braziers, each stationed directly behind one of the hooded figures, providing warmth, and more importantly light, to cast even more shadows across their own faces.

Anonymity virtually guaranteed, the four apprentices of "The Master" were able to talk freely, and more importantly work together. Not knowing who the others were left each of the four wary of any other mage in the world. One never knew who was an ally or enemy in this arrangement. It created a precarious balance between trust and paranoia.

The first voice, positioned in the north east quadrant hissed, "The Master is dead?"

An identical voice came from the south east seat, "Yes. The Master's life force was extinguished not long ago."

Exactly like each other, none of the four knew for certain the identity of "The Master," they merely answer the voice when it called in the night. The second voice stated, "Once the new Master realizes he or she is The Master, we will hear their voice and things will change fully. This is not the first time, not the last time that The Master has died and been replaced. It is merely a matter of time before the call for power over takes them, one way or another. They have never failed to follow the lure of power. They shall come."

A third voice, this time from the south west corner, whispered, "Regardless, we still have dealings to go over. Let us get this done so I may leave."
 
Sabirah’s mood hadn’t improved from the night before. The sudden waking had served only to annoy her and she took the time first thing in the morning to take another ride. This time she took her ladies along with her compliment of guards. They rode out at a slow walk and once they had escaped the business of the palace the ladies began to talk amongst themselves.

“How are you feeling, my Queen?” Farah inquired

“Well enough, considering the interruption of the night,” she answered.

“I nearly fell out of bed because of it,” Alia proclaimed with a furrow of her brow. Minha nodded her head in agreement.

“It wasn’t a planned event, trust me. I’m not dragging my derriere out of bed to play games such as that. Still, no need to concern yourselves over something unimportant. It will be dealt with in time,” the Queen responded.
As the group made its way over the first hill, a lone rider approached. The ladies reined in their mounts and two of the guards moved forward to meet the rider. Sabirah couldn’t tell who the rider was, but as she watched from the distance, it appeared the rider had good business and rode up behind the guards as they returned to the group.

“Lord Moren would like to join your outing, my Queen,” one guard announced.
Sabirah gaze flicked up at the oncoming rider. She sighed inwardly. “I wonder what he wants,” she murmured under her breath and leaned in towards Alia whispering. “Here’s your opportunity to gain his attention. Let’s see if he goes for it.”

As Lord Moren drew close, Sabirah nudged her mount forward once again.
“Ahhh, Lord Moren, what brings you out this fine morning?” Sabirah asked, masking her annoyance.

He bowed his head momentarily and smiled before answering, “I just wanted to get out and see a little of the countryside, but it appears I’ve discovered a little more than I anticipated. Can I join you on your ride?”

“Please,” Sabirah answered, motioning behind her. “I’m sure Lady Alia will enjoy your company.”

The Queen’s suggestion wasn’t exactly what he had in mind, but if that was what would keep him close, then so be it. Lord Moren nodded politely and maneuvered his mount next to Alia, who smiled in return.

It didn’t take long for Alia to work her charms on the man. She was a petite and beautiful woman herself. Sabirah smiled to herself when she heard him laugh. Soon, she’d have him figured out and Sabirah would know what nonsense he was up to. The rest of the ride went swimmingly and by the time they arrived back to the palace, the Queen’s mood had improved greatly.
Alia swept Lord Moren away before he could get two words in, allowing Sabirah to gain some time with Farah. The Queen slipped her arm in Farah’s as they walked back into the main hall. Sabirah whispered softly, “is Lord Hadad in better spirits now that he’s been released?”

Farah grinned nodding her head.

“Wonderful. Keep him close. I think you’ll find him more agreeable.”
 
Marsdan woke with a start. His heart was racing, his breathing ragged and shallow. Sweat streamed down his face as if he had just ran a mile at a sprint. Slowly he took in his surroundings and recognized where he was.

Safe. Or was he?

He threw the blanket and sheets back and stood. The cool air caressed his naked flesh and a shiver ran up his spine. he dressed and ate breakfast while he tried first to recall, then repress, the dreams from the night before. Mustering his courage, or shedding the fear, he left his chambers.

He had the uncomfortable business of having a tailor fawn over him for hours ahead of him. None of his clothes fir anymore and he could hardly wear the same pants and shirt to court or anywhere else only so often. It wasn't anything he cherished, or wanted to do. Yet there was the necessity of it.

Especially if he had the desire to be King, or Emperor one day.
 
Sabirah needed breakfast. She really didn't want to be alone this morning, but it seemed that's exactly how it would go unless she invited the ladies along. Her father had once said to her that he would rather be alone than surround himself just to see people around him.

She finally found herself outside, near the garden, with two of her ladies. Breakfast was as easily brought there as to the hall. Today it was important to enjoy the good weather. The sunshine, the soft breeze.

Sabirah picked at a couple pieces of fruit and then a few more. The ride had enhanced her appetite and she had another long day ahead. She still had to address the mage issue with Marsdan.
 
The next two hours were an almost hell as the tailor measured, sized, poked, and prodded Marsdan. At the end, he had one set of clothes ready, with a promise of more in the days to come.

Putting the new clothes on, he headed out of his chambers and headed toward the old emperor's war room. Inside he looked at the map once again, needlessly re-memorizing something he knew as well as his own face. He opened the door and had a guard find a servant to bring him paints, clay and other sundries.

He rolled his sleeves up when the paint arrived and began changing the name and color of the land surrounding the Death Pyramid into the colors of the Star Empire. The mindless work of updating the map allowed his mind to roam free and consider everything swirling around. All the possible permutations and their implications.

He knew there was a fine line between thinking and mental paralysis. Paining the region a new color would allow him to think and come to decisions in time with the brush strokes. He heard her coming long before she arrived, or more precisely he heard her entourage.

As she approached he went around to each corner opening the silent nearly invisible dome. As she entered he half bowed, "My queen, things are moving behind the scenes."

He almost grinned as his cryptic opening gave her pause a moment. "There appears to be a small council of mages who are now leaderless. Somehow, which I can only surmise at, I am connected to them."
 
Sabirah didn't expect to see Marsdan quite so early but then she really shouldn't have been so surprised. Nevertheless she was happy to see him.

As she approached the table she waved off the entourage and watched as they walked away. She had had her fill of company.

Sabirah considered what he said. As she thought about it she recalled the conversation they had about the mages council. Surely he didn't mean this one. Inevitably she had asked the question.

"What mages council do you speak of? Are you speaking of the same mages that we discussed the night before?"

Sabirah placed her hand on his arm. I'm getting ahead of myself. Good morning. Have I told you I've missed you terribly?" She gave him a sheepish grin. They were both ones to get down to business and often forgetting the niceties. This morning she wouldn't forget because even though it hadn't been a great amount of time she still felt the need of his presence.
 
Marsdan looked at her a moment in almost confusion, then smiled wanly. "Sorry, I am unaccustomed to ... being emotionally involved with someone one."

With a wave of his hand the door closed and as he balled his fist the door locked, ensuring them some privacy. Then Marsdan wrapped his arms around Sabirah and pulled her close, using her firm ass to hold her close.

He leaned his forehead against hers a moment. "I have missed you too. Somehow the bed seems rather vacant with out you in it."

He kissed her deeply, his tongue exploring her mouth confidently. His blood flowed down to his manhood quickly. His hands massaged her ass firmly as he answered her questions, "No, I don't know the council I saw last night. The other council, the one we talked about, I sit on, I know them intimately."

He kissed her again, "That aside for now, how was your morning?"
 
But was he emotionally invested?

He leaned his forehead against hers a moment. "I have missed you too. Somehow the bed seems rather vacant with out you in it."

"Have you figured out how to rectify that issue?" she inquired, giving him a quirky little grin. She really didn't expect an answer from him. What she could count on was his actions.

Then he kissed her.

By the Gods… He tasted so good. Sabirah eagerly stoked his arousal as her tongue wrestled with his, pressing her soft, shapely body against his as he held her tightly. He was essentially, in a physical sense, a whole new person. She could feel the definition even under his clothes. It had changed significantly in the beginning, but this time, he had hardened up. If he dedicated any more time, he could easily snap her in half. At least that is how she felt. He wanted to win that tournament. There was no doubt in that. He was viable competition and the other nobles would see it too. But in the time he was actually away… she wondered if he had changed in other ways. It was a fleeting thought, one best left to ponder later.

He kissed her the final time and her tongue lingered over her bottom lip as he withdrew.

"That aside for now, how was your morning?"

Her fingers played down his chest, “for the most part, well. A good ride to clear the mind does wonders. Though I wonder now what Moren wants. He’s once again inserted himself in my patch. I’ve given him over to the capable hands of Alia rather than entertaining his attempts at elevation. I’m sure she can manage to find out what he’s up to, leaving me for more important things, like dealing with the investigation of why the water is dwindling in one of the nearby streams, or arranging to have someone dig another well on the west side of the imperial city.”

Sabirah smiled. “I know some people think some of these issues are unimportant, but they’re important to the residents and should be important to us. If the residents cannot count on us for help, they will not lend their support. Happy people breed loyalty. Even when we expand the empire and we pull those areas into the fold…when you take care of the people and they know they’re protected, they flourish and make the empire strong.”
 
Marsdan considered Moren a moment. " I still think he is a patsy for some other person or group. It is not like him to be so forward especially uninvited. "

Marsdan ' s hands massaged her ass, kneading each cheek firmly as they spoke. "The real question is who is behind him and can your lady get the information from him without giving up too much on her own."

The feel of her body against his had effects on him that Marsdan would never have believed possible. The touch of her fingers on his chest left a trail of molten desire that moved to his groin as it dissipated from his chest. Her breath across his skin sent ripples of pleasure through him. He had never felt so thrilled at a casual touch.

With some effort he brought his mind back to the conversation at hand instead of the intoxicating feel of her warmth pressed against his member. "Any idea as to who is behind him yet?"
 
"It's probably someone whispering promises in his ear. As far as who it could be, there aren't that many here in the imperial city that didn't go forward to the front lines. It could be any of our allies who are trying to eliminate their competition, or maybe one of the advisers or other such nobles who remained behind. There's still a good two hands full of people to consider. That's assuming I know their backgrounds that I can actually figure out who it might be," she answered, trailing her nails down his sides.

She enjoyed feeling his body respond to her and she herself responded to him as his hand kneaded her firm flesh. She released a soft moan from her lips and felt a shiver race down her spine. He had a way of exciting her she simply couldn't ignore. She could feel the stirrings just by voice alone. It was as if they had been made for one another and she was so comfortable with him.

Sabirah's fingers grazed back upwards and she slowly wrapped her small arms around Marsdan's neck.

"No one has really tipped a hand regarding the throne. I think they may be sitting back watching, waiting to see what happens before committing to one action or another. The only person who has made any rumblings was Hadad. I'm confident he's being taken care of."
 
Marsdan easily lift Sabirah off her feet and sat her on the map table. Pulling a chair over with his foot Marsdan grinned wickedly as he sat down and flipped her skirt up. "Well, then it is someone we would not normally suspect."

He ran his hands up her thighs, massaging them gently as he worked his way higher and higher until he got to her fragrant and welcoming pussy. He leaned forward and licked her from anus to clit, his tongue pressed tight against her.

He sat back after his taste and said, "One of my best spies cleans chamber pots, no one so far has ever suspected."

Leaning back in he paused then stood up. Pulling a length of silk from the pouch at his side. "Put your arms behind you, Sabirah," he whispered with a throaty voice.
 
Her form tingled delightfully. The trail of his warm hands soon cooled, but the lingering effects of his touch remained as he drew his tongue fully over her now quivering flesh. Her soft, pink lips parted and a soft whimper escaped her as she looked down at him. The sight of him poised between her legs excited her. The moisture he had just sampled was quickly replaced. No one was even allowed near her, let alone touch her. Each time his need surfaced, she felt the burn flare deep in her belly and her pussy would begin to ache. One day, in the presence of others, her traitorous body would give her away.

When he stood, her eyes followed him up. She could feel his closeness though they didn’t touch. He just had a presence she couldn’t explain.

"Put your arms behind you, Sabirah."

The deep tones of his voice coupled with his piercing, seductive eyes sent a tremble through her. Sabirah didn’t have to say a word. Her compliance said it all.

She sat a little straighter when she moved her hands to the small of her back pressing her wrists together. Her pulse strengthened. The silk, while smooth, was actually quite strong. He would have little difficulty binding her and keeping her secured if that is what he intended. After their last encounter, she looked forward to it. The realignment of her hands allowed her breasts to extend out more prominently, and the thin material of her gown did nothing to hide her firm nipples beneath. Sabirah took in a breath and released it slowly; seeking to calm the storm he would eventually unleash.
 
Marsdan softly breathed, "So beautiful, " as he reached around her and moved Sabirah's hands to a position that made her grab her forearms. Using the silk he bound her hands and forearms together.

He looked down and saw that the position thrust her tits out, offering them like a prized dinner plate of delectable desserts. Eyes gleaming he lift her up enough to pull her dress out from under her ass cheeks. "Wouldn't want to leave a spot, now would we?"

He put her back down, bare ass on the table as he sat in the chair, looking at her womanhood intently. Soon his hands and fingers followed his eyes and he began to tease her mercilessly.

Hands, fingers, tongue, lips, and teeth worked at her, driving Sabirah to the edge of an orgasm only to back off just before she did cum. "Maybe I should leave you like this today," he mused.
 
Sabirah, who was normally controlled, calm and calculating, writhed, bucked and squirmed under Marsdan’s attentions. There was no such thing as composure when he chose to touch her. When he denied her release by pausing to speak, she cried out indignantly in frustration. Her panting made her breasts rise and fall quickly. There she lay, displayed on the map table, the same table the war council stood around to debate their next move and the very same table her father used to spend time over.

The whole chamber still had a foreign feel to her, as if what they did here was sacrilegious in some way. The notion excited her further. There was no danger of an unintended visit and yet, she knew full well the guards were stationed directly behind the doors waiting and listening. Sabirah whimpered and squirmed again. The bindings around her arms kept her back arched and her arms secured; there was very little give in them. He could easily leave her there, bound and vulnerable, and while that thought also warmed her blood, she knew he would not.

“Marsdan! You wouldn’t…” she responded in an imploring tone. He had never truly denied her anything, so to influence him further she rolled her hips forward begging silently for more.
 
Back
Top