Who is In California?

hiya!

Foothills above Fresno. 44 mwm... I do end up in LA and SF quite a bit!

you dont think nor cal is better? your not the type of person i'm talking about

"Invented by northern california."

I am Northern California, born and bred. I was born in a N. CA hospital, went to school in N. CA city, and am living quite happily in a N. CA town.

The n vs s is because of the movies and their depiction of California. People in other parts of the world only see California as it's represented in the movies, as LA. Up until a short while ago, not even San Francisco was really represented. So when we tell people from other parts of the world that we're Californians, they see LA. They believe California is one giant beach and that it's fair weather and surfing all day every day. It never snows. There are no mountains.

It may come across as insecurity to people who never have to deal with this problem. I am proud to be a Californian and I love my snow from December to April. But when I say I'm a Californian and proud of it, I'm not saying "I'm from LA." I am saying that I. Am. From. California. This state is awesome. It has everything a place could ask for. It has the tallest trees in the world. It has species of animals only found here. It has mountains, deserts, large cities, small towns. It has agriculture. Yes, it does have LA and Hollywood and beaches, and that's great, but that is not all California is. I would like for people to hear California and think California as an entire state, not the metropolis of the southern state.

"Invented by northern california."

I am Northern California, born and bred. I was born in a N. CA hospital, went to school in N. CA city, and am living quite happily in a N. CA town.

The n vs s is because of the movies and their depiction of California. People in other parts of the world only see California as it's represented in the movies, as LA. Up until a short while ago, not even San Francisco was really represented. So when we tell people from other parts of the world that we're Californians, they see LA. They believe California is one giant beach and that it's fair weather and surfing all day every day. It never snows. There are no mountains.

It may come across as insecurity to people who never have to deal with this problem. I am proud to be a Californian and I love my snow from December to April. But when I say I'm a Californian and proud of it, I'm not saying "I'm from LA." I am saying that I. Am. From. California. This state is awesome. It has everything a place could ask for. It has the tallest trees in the world. It has species of animals only found here. It has mountains, deserts, large cities, small towns. It has agriculture. Yes, it does have LA and Hollywood and beaches, and that's great, but that is not all California is. I would like for people to hear California and think California as an entire state, not the metropolis of the southern state.

As a OH transplant, I can respect that... You do have to be in awe of the fact that you can surf in the morning and snowboard in two hours time of travel.... It is quite a beautiful state that I am now glad to call home since 2001.... I have a lot to learn and there is sooo much to experience.... Not to mention I think have sprained my neck admiring the beauty of different cultures and there women.

Welcome to the most awesome state in the United, DF! I'm a native here for 29 years and there are still parts I haven't yet had the pleasure to explore. For your explorations, I strongly recommend going up past Eureka to see the redwoods one of these days. Our family makes a vacation of that every year. They truly are a marvel. There are some cool caverns to check out. You can see the lowest point on the continent and the highest on the continuous US (Death Valley's badwater, looking up to Mt. Whitney). There's a place, I believe in the Mojave, that has a species of shrimp only found there. There's even a town in our state that ceceded from the country only to return a few months later (because of the postal service or for an excuse to drink more beer on the 4th of July...not quite sure which). Enjoy your explorations, wherever they may take you!

Welcome to the most awesome state in the United, DF! I'm a native here for 29 years and there are still parts I haven't yet had the pleasure to explore. For your explorations, I strongly recommend going up past Eureka to see the redwoods one of these days. Our family makes a vacation of that every year. They truly are a marvel. There are some cool caverns to check out. You can see the lowest point on the continent and the highest on the continuous US (Death Valley's badwater, looking up to Mt. Whitney). There's a place, I believe in the Mojave, that has a species of shrimp only found there. There's even a town in our state that ceceded from the country only to return a few months later (because of the postal service or for an excuse to drink more beer on the 4th of July...not quite sure which). Enjoy your explorations, wherever they may take you!

Awesome! Thx so much, I do plan on exploring more in the future.....

Well, well....hello everyone from CA. Near Sacramento myself. Good to see some.."somewhat" locals around.

Getting mighty cold and ready for some snow up there I imagine. I'm hoping so, as it's been quite a few years since I've snowboarded. How the time flies when there isn't much time for anything but work. Of course, I'm just happy to currently have a job.

A thing to be thankful for, that's for sure.

The first snow in the Sierras is usually around Thanksgiving, so it's coming up!

Born in Manhattan Beach, grew up in San Luis Obispo and finishing up grad school in Thousand Oaks. I love the California life.

good morning

Hey California....glad to see everyone up and saying hello. To those who've been on the list for a while, Hi again! Especially to you, Author; love your stories! ;)

For those who are new, 30yo guy in San Diego... drop me a line anytime or just keep posting in here!

-Card

Aww, thanks Card! Hopefully my next one will be up soon. I brought it with me on vacation to work on.

CA is the best state in the Union... I know the state all too well. Especially all the coastline...

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express yet?

Fairfield, which is right next to Napa Valley. :) I went to college in San Diego and I'm starting to miss it. I should visit soon.

On all of our wine tours of late we have stationed ourselves at the HIExp in Fairfield. Convenient and inexpensive.

Ditto!

What authorotica wrote! Loving the fact that I'm sitting in my house, fire in the wood stove (it's 40 F outside), and it's raining...

Just sayin'

Hey Snip! Glad to hear the weather home-wise is nice and chilly. Still on vacation in the southern part of the state. I'm hoping for drizzly weather tomorrow, so that Disneyland will be a little less populated.

Looks like I missed some of that kind of weather at home. I wonder if we got any snow at my house...

Hi Roxy. N. Ca here, too. There's a whole thread of us, quite a few from N. Ca...all over. Bay Area, humbolt area, napa, Gold Country, Central Valley, etc... look for California Roll Call.
Thanks Authorotica! I'll check it out! Lots of CA people here! I'm not alone!

Back