FAQ's - Read Before Posting Help Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
How Do I Track Messages Easier

Sometimes I return to my control panel to see if there have been any responses to posts I have made, or to simply look at the posts that immediately followed mine.

The problem I have is that some of the forums get dozens of posts a day, and I can't seem to find my own without scrolling through pages upon pages.

Is there an easy way to find them?

Another question: replying to a specific post

My other question concerns replying to a post that already has posts following it.

Sometimes a post in the middle of a thread has a "Reply" button with it, and I am able to reply directly to that post, not to the thread as a whole.

For example, some of the threads (with tens of thousands of postings) will only allow me to reply to the end of the thread; they do not include that little step down ladder that indicates an ability to reply to a reply, rather than reply to the original posting.

Am I making any sense?

Any way, help if you can.

Is there any way to do a search of FORUM members by state and any other criteria? I know the main Literotica site has an adult search but it winds up bringing up lots of people who may post (or read) stories but who never post in the forums.

The only way I could find to do this was to use google to do a site search for whatever state (or other criteria) you want. It's a fairly broad brush but you should be able to then search within results.

There is a google tutorial on the first page of this thread.

Sometimes I return to my control panel to see if there have been any responses to posts I have made, or to simply look at the posts that immediately followed mine.

The problem I have is that some of the forums get dozens of posts a day, and I can't seem to find my own without scrolling through pages upon pages.

Click on the number of replies, then in the pop-up window click on the number of your replies, then in the results window click on your latest post, from there you will have to look for any replies.

Easy huh!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Or you can use the quick links button at the top of each page and bring up your profile and then click on Find all posts by...

Or you can do a search on your user name, (select show posts) that will bring up all posts and any replies where people have used your user name, but not replies where they have quoted you (unless they used your user name).

Or you can read Erika's post down there.:D

My other question concerns replying to a post that already has posts following it.

Sometimes a post in the middle of a thread has a "Reply" button with it, and I am able to reply directly to that post, not to the thread as a whole.

For example, some of the threads (with tens of thousands of postings) will only allow me to reply to the end of the thread; they do not include that little step down ladder that indicates an ability to reply to a reply, rather than reply to the original posting.

Am I making any sense?

All posts should have a Reply and a Reply with Quote (or just Quote) button.

What skin are you using?

Attachments

• viewposts1.jpg
    viewposts1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 352
  • viewposts2.jpg
    viewposts2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:

I automatically subscribe to threads and at least the first new reply is emailed to me. Then I can read that reply there and/or click on the link in the email to see new replies. You can select this option in your CP and not subscribe to individual threads (e.g. ones that gets billions of posts, game threads, etc.) when you post to those threads (there's an option for Thread Subscription below the reply box), plus you can unsubscribe or not get emails for any thread at any time if you don't want to be notified of new replies at some point down the line.

I find this is the easiest way to keep up with things, but your mileage may vary. Play around with it and see what works for you.

Am I making any sense?

You can't reply to an individual post w/o PMing the poster, but your CAN quote the post you're replying to so people know which post you're referring to in your post. There's a QUOTE button for quoting at the bottom of each post. That one quotes one post, and there's another button right next to it that allows you to quote multiple posts (it has a quote mark and plus sign on it). To multiquote, click the multiquote button on each post you want to quote, then the QUOTE button on the last post you're quoting.

Once you have your quote(s) in place, you can delete anything in the quote that's not relevant to your reply. So if someone's talking about anal, oral and vibes, and you only have a response that pertains to vibes, you can remove their stuff about anal and oral. Some people indicate they've cut down a post by putting <snip> or [...] . If someone wants to read the entire post, they can click the arrow next to the original poster's name, and jump to the original post you've quoted.

When you're playing around with quotes or any kind of code, it's good to preview your post before you submit your reply to make sure everything's clear and showing up how you want it to appear. There's a Preview Post button right next to the Submit Reply button.

For questions like this, go ahead and post in the main How To forum in the future. That way people besides Quoll and I will have a chance to answer and learn. You can also ask several related questions in the same post or thread. :)

I hope that helps!

deleted

deleted

original post was misunderstood and taken to be rude.

my apologies :(

Tony

Last edited:
You must have at least 100 posts for an avatar.

Once you've reached 100, you may have to wait a few hours for the system to update. Then:
1) Log out of Lit
2) Clear your temporary internet files/cache
3) Close your browser (if you use multiple browsers, tabs, or windows, close them all)
4) Come back to Lit and log in
5) Go to the User CP>Edit Avatar
6) Refresh the page.
7) Click the Browse button, and upload the file.

***Your image can't be more than 150 pixels in the largest dimension or greater than 15.0 kb, whichever is smaller. . .

Good evening everyone,

First of all, HUGE thanks to everyone who contributed to this sticky - there's some wonderful information!

However, I'm having difficulty getting an avatar to show. I've tried different pictures with no luck.

I completed all the steps above, and even restarted my computer entirely this morning - still no luck.

The pic I am currently using is 108 x 136 pixels and 3.78 KB in size.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and have a great evening!

Good evening everyone,

First of all, HUGE thanks to everyone who contributed to this sticky - there's some wonderful information!

However, I'm having difficulty getting an avatar to show. I've tried different pictures with no luck.

I completed all the steps above, and even restarted my computer entirely this morning - still no luck.

The pic I am currently using is 108 x 136 pixels and 3.78 KB in size.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and have a great evening!

Patience, sometimes it takes a while to kick in, maybe a few more posts.

You could try deleting your cookies for Lit, but it just seems to pop up when you least expect it.

Now that I think about it it probably doesn't happen until the Lit database refreshes, midnight sticks in my mind, but I could be wrong.

Welcome to lit.:rose:

deleted

original post was misunderstood and taken to be rude.

my apologies :(

Tony

Missed this, but going by your previous posts I would suggest (if you haven't already done so) to check with the Mod on the board you use, they should know the ins and outs of how it all works.

Just ignore if I'm on the wrong track.

Patience, sometimes it takes a while to kick in, maybe a few more posts.

You could try deleting your cookies for Lit, but it just seems to pop up when you least expect it.

Now that I think about it it probably doesn't happen until the Lit database refreshes, midnight sticks in my mind, but I could be wrong.

Welcome to lit.:rose:

Thank you very much for the help, and for the welcome! ^^ I'll try again with a new pic and see if I have any luck.

Have a great evening!

Woohoo - it worked! Thank you so much!

This time there was a radio button that had never been there before, so maybe, as you said, the database refreshed.

Thanks again! You're wonderful! :rose:

Can I "Steal" someone's thread

moved per the helpful albeit chastising suggestion of a moderator. read the following post.

LATER: Sorry, not a moderator -- she only thinks she's one. Forgive me. (I didn't honestly think a moderator would react that way, and I was correct. Please forgive my error.)

Last edited:
I would like advice from one of the Moderators, and others as well. (If you are a moderator, I think an answer here would be appropriate, yes? But if you are not, perhaps you should just PM me, so this FAQ thread isn't clogged with answers and opinions. PM me at WriteAwayHoney )

If you don't want to clog up the HOW TO FAQ thread, then why would you post an SRP topic in it, asking for a moderator's advice, no less. :confused:

The appropriate thing to do in this situation is PM the SRP moderator or an SRP regular and ask the question. Or, at the very least, you could start a thread in How To proper with your question. However, RP/SRP question threads don't generally get a lot of responses in HT, so your best bet is to stick with asking an SRP moderator or regular.

Also, "PM me" requests/demands usually go unanswered. Here in How To, most of us appreciate posting things publicly so more than one person can benefit from the responses. And when you're PMing mods or members, I'd suggest being concise and very polite if you want a helpful reply.

photo size restrictions

Drives me nuts, but there are such tight resrtictions on photo sizes....what are the max photo sixe pixal/kb size limits on this site?

Drives me nuts, but there are such tight resrtictions on photo sizes....what are the max photo sixe pixal/kb size limits on this site?

It depends on what you're doing. There are different limits for the avatar, profile pic and attachments. All three tell you the max dimensions and file size when you try to post them, and I've also noted them in the instructions here in the FAQ.

If you want to post larger pics in posts, you should hotlink them rather than attach them. Then there are no size restrictions because they're not hosted on Lit's servers. There are detailed instructions on hotlinking/inserting images directly into posts here in the FAQ.

However, please be aware that a lot of people view Lit on smaller screens, and some have slower connections than others. For instance, I'm typing this post on a netbook; it doesn't take a very large pic to stretch out the posts and ruin the whole page (so I have to scroll back and forth to see who's posting, read entire posts, etc.). So, it's really best to edit your pics down to a reasonable file size and dimensions (like under 500 pixels) for those browsing on netbooks, laptops and slower connections. The same goes for sigs - cater to those who don't want to scroll down a bunch just to get through each of your posts.

Are we still required to have 100 posts before we can put up an avatar? Also, I've tried using GIMP and Irfan View, but I can't seem to get my picture down to <29.3 kB.

Thanks in advance!

Are we still required to have 100 posts before we can put up an avatar? Also, I've tried using GIMP and Irfan View, but I can't seem to get my picture down to <29.3 kB.

Thanks in advance!

Yep still 100 posts.

In irfanview click "save as" then reduce the compression to about 70% -75%, or use the "save for web" plugin.

Hi

hi everyone
I am sorry to disturb you but i just posted my own thread, but i only want it to be between me and a certain player...HOW do i close it off from everyone else?
Sorry i just got this going a few days and cants find answer in FAQ
PLEASE msg me the answer,please

i just posted my own thread, but i only want it to be between me and a certain player...HOW do i close it off from everyone else?

You can't. Only moderators and the owners can close a thread, and if they do even you cannot post on it. Within the SRP or ORP boards one will commonly write a little note saying, "This story is closed for __________ and I."

How do I make/get/convince my SO to __________?

Since the original post seems to have disappeared into the ether, I thought I'd try my hand at writing a replacement.

The short answer is that you can't make your SO do something they are dead set against.

The lengthier answer is that you need to communicate with your partner, in a manner that is open, honest, kind, non accusatory, non pushy and non judgmental.

Try to ascertain the reason(s) behind their reluctance/refusal to perform [insert sexual act here]. You might find that past negative experiences are a factor and you can then offer suggestions or precautions you would take to mitigate those concerns. Talking also gives you a chance to share why whatever sexual act it is you want them to perform is so important to you. After open and honest dialogue, your SO might change his or her mind.

On the other hand, the answer might still be no. Then it's up to you do decide whether or not you can live without [insert sex act here] for the sake of your partner's happiness and peace of mind. If you can't and it's a deal breaker for continuing the relationship, you need to be honest and upfront with your partner about it.

A note of caution: if, after reading this post, you still want input from the board, be very careful in how you write your post. Words/phrases such as "make", "get", "convince" or "change his/her mind" have connotations of force, coercion or non-consent. They give the impression that your desires trump your partner's, regardless of how he or she may feel about it.

I'm over 100 posts, logged out, closed browser, relaunched, etc..
Still not allowed an avatar.. =(

You must have at least 100 posts for an avatar.

Once you've reached 100, you may have to wait a few hours for the system to update. Then:
1) Log out of Lit
2) Clear your temporary internet files/cache
3) Close your browser (if you use multiple browsers, tabs, or windows, close them all)
4) Come back to Lit and log in
5) Go to the User CP>Edit Avatar
6) Refresh the page.
7) Click the Browse button, and upload the file.

***Your image can't be more than 150 pixels in the largest dimension or greater than 15.0 kb, whichever is smaller. If you need image editing/resizing/management software, many people here recommend a free program called Irfanview. You can also use a program called GIMP, which is like a free version of Photoshop for Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems.

Thanks. I was going nuts trying to figure his out. Its going to take a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back