You Favorite Writer?

I ran James Joyce thru I WRITE LIKE, he wrote like Vladimir Nabokov

A girl stood before him in midstream, alone and still, gazing out to sea. She seemed like one whom magic had changed into the likeness of a strange and beautiful seabird. Her long slender bare legs were delicate as a crane's and pure save where an emerald trail of seaweed had fashioned itself as a sign upon the flesh. Her thighs, fuller and soft-hued as ivory, were bared almost to the hips, where the white fringes of her drawers were like feathering of soft white down. Her slate-blue skirts were kilted boldly about her waist and dovetailed behind her. Her bosom was as a bird's, soft and slight, slight and soft as the breast of some dark-plumaged dove. But her long fair hair was girlish: and girlish, and touched with the wonder of mortal beauty, her face.

Joyce, James. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (p. 158). . Kindle Edition.

Unless this is leading up to a secret stash of lady pics, I don't know why you told me this. Unless you're saying men like to sexualize their female characters ... which why wouldn't you if you were a man? (For story, blah blah blah).

He wrote it because he's starved for your attention.

Unless this is leading up to a secret stash of lady pics, I don't know why you told me this. Unless you're saying men like to sexualize their female characters ... which why wouldn't you if you were a man? (For story, blah blah blah).

Youre a product of the prevailing celebration of low expectations here at LIT.

...Joyce, James. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (p. 158). . Kindle Edition.

Makes me wonder if that would pass muster here at Lit. Joyce would have been happy to describe a 20 year old girl like that - or 15, he wouldn't have cared.

As for "I WRITE LIKE", it's complete bullshit. Either that, or a number of my stories here (in different styles and settings with very different word choices), one of Lovecraft68's, a hunk of Dubliners by James Joyce, and Charles Dexter Ward by H. P Lovecraft's - are all written in the style of Margret Mitchell.

Yeah, not so much. If the site can't recognize H P Lovecraft as himself, it's not good for much. And Joyce is nearly as distinctive.

Makes me wonder if that would pass muster here at Lit. Joyce would have been happy to describe a 20 year old girl like that - or 15, he wouldn't have cared.

As for "I WRITE LIKE", it's complete bullshit. Either that, or a number of my stories here (in different styles and settings with very different word choices), one of Lovecraft68's, a hunk of Dubliners by James Joyce, and Charles Dexter Ward by H. P Lovecraft's - are all written in the style of Margret Mitchell.

Yeah, not so much. If the site can't recognize H P Lovecraft as himself, it's not good for much. And Joyce is nearly as distinctive.

LIT and I WRITE LIKE prolly use the same scoring scheme.

Yep, I also got Mitchell repeatedly for a range of different stuff. Take such tools with a large grain of salt.

Yep, I also got Mitchell repeatedly for a range of different stuff. Take such tools with a large grain of salt.

The site says nothing about their methods or their limits. I suspect that if you give it too much text at one time then it doesn't analyze it at all, it just says "Margaret Mitchell."

The site says nothing about their methods or their limits. I suspect that if you give it too much text at one time then it doesn't analyze it at all, it just says "Margaret Mitchell."

Some info about the methods here: https://theawl.com/a-q-a-with-the-c...-not-a-rocket-science-cff8a65ddb8f#.1hyqxhtul

In brief, it works off stuff like word choices and sentence length. But it doesn't seem to be doing a great job even there; I tried it out on "squamous batrachian cyclopean tentacle", which is about as Lovecraftian as you can get, and it picked the style as Hemingway.

I started learning psychiatric diagnoses back in 1967 when I was 18. Diagnoses are a bitch for most pros to master, because they suck at pattern recognition. And diagnoses and literary style are pattern recognition. Maybe you've encountered the so-called culture-fair IQ tests that use geometric arrangements rather than math and logic questions to score IQ. Such patterns are simple for me to recognize, and I ace such tests, and flunk others.

The great truth of life is, we're all Rainman. We're the best at a few tasks, and suck at the rest. Babe Ruth never went to baseball camp, he was born ready. But he sucked at plenty of things. And there are guaranteed ways to discover your talents, tho the government stopped using them when the tests revealed most blacks excel at pushing brooms and picking cotton. Blacks are born to loot, fuck dum blondes, play basketball, and pick cotton. The tests confirm it. So we don't test folks for their aptitudes anymore....its discrimination. Yep.

So the way to get at writing style is to test Margaret Mitchell, Stephen King, Hemingway, Pilot, and the other greats, then test you and compare your scores with theirs. The tests are simple...you put square blox in round holes, sort marbles by their colors, etc.

An even simpler test is what I call the WHAT DO YOU SAY AFTER YOU SAY 'HELLO' TEST. That is, write the reply to HELLO! I'll bet every famous author created a reply to HELLO. You can build a test from replies...like this....Daphne: Reginald, I'm pregnant. Reginald: Frankly my dear I don't give a damn. (How the Margaret Mitchell writer replies).

Definitely! At least with my Literotica writing. I try to make my non-erotic writing a little different.

My current story is certainly influenced by Tamora Pierce, Steven Brust (though that might not be as noticeable), Anne McCaffrey, and countless others.

I like things by Jim Butcher, Darynda Jones, Nevada Barr and Neil Gaiman, amongst many others. I just discovered Nick Harkaway. My writing here tends to be of a very different nature, I don't think it bears much resemblance.

OOo, them as well. They are great. I don't think I could ever compare my writing to Neil Gaiman, but maybe someday... I aspire at least.

I had try I WRITE LIKE too.

Apparently I write like Margaret Mitchell, who's only well-known story is "Gone With the Wind". Ain't never read that.

I posted in a number of different stories with what I thought were different approaches and got the same result every time. I'm a ilttle suspect of the results. Maybe Margaret Mitchell was the author of the day.

Or maybe I write like Margaret Mitchell.

I got the same result, so maybe they only have a few options... It does seem like people are getting very limited results.

That write like site is bullshit. It has been around for ages. If I need my ego stroked I either come to Lit or go down to a club. :D

I'm with you there. I don't want to write like anyone else and don't particular care of someone thinks I do.

Back