Character Choices Vs. Story Choices

spentbob

Virgin
Joined
Mar 9, 2011
Posts
23
This is just a thing that's sort of minorly bugged/interested me for a while - probably since I started CHYOO writing, and I was just wondering what other peoples opinions on this subject were.

Basically, what I'm calling a "Character Choice" is something the "viewpoint" character in the story could decide. That is - assuming a first person story -

*Do you open the door?

*Do you kiss the cross-eyed goth or give oral to the spotty redhead?

*Do you throw the banana out of the window or sodomize the one-legged cheerleader with it?

These are things that the character the reader is playing in the story has a choic eover, and can decide - the same way you can decide to make Mario run left or right, or what your character does in a traditional CYOA or role playing game.


"Story Choices" are when the reader is given the option to effect the path of the story in ways their character couldn't.

*Does someone open the door?

*Does the cross-eyed goth kiss you or slap the spotty redhead?

*Do you throw the banana out of the window, or does Paris Hilton suddenly enter the room and demand it from you?

These are choices that the character the player is role playing as could *not* effect, unless they have some kind of mind control or reality warping powers.

Now, there's nothing wrong with either sort of option - though erotic CYOA's are the only place I've seen the latter, which is interesting - but does it bug anyone else when they're mixed in a story? I tend to let it slide when an option suggested to my story has one of the latter when I've been using only the former, and I've used the latter myself on occasion, but it *bugs* me, man. I think it's the difference between a story being a sort of "game" or role playing experience, and a kind of shared round robin narrative.

Just trying to get a little debate going, cause I'm curious on other peoples feelings on this one and I've never seen it discussed here, really. :)
 
It bugs me too, although I'm less charitable than you are. I noticed how traditional CYOA used 'character choices', and took that to be the only professional method of writing this sort of fiction.

One of the great advantages of CYOA fiction is how immersive the experience can be. Unlike traditional novels, the reader himself is required to make choices that affect the outcome of a story.

Sure, story choices also allow a little immersion, by asking for the readers preference. However, if the reader can believe that he is inside a characters head and making decisions for him, then the story becomes much more fun to play through.

That said, I've slipped up many times myself when writing. My favourite stories are riddled with story choices, and I don't think many Chyoo writers actually get the difference.
 
I think this depends more on the story, as well as the timing. If the reader is merely a reader guiding a random character, then swapping between the two is acceptable. Some interactive stories thrive on the concept of driving a character to ruin or find a way around all misfortune. In these cases, it's beneficial to have story choices once in a while, allowing the reader to attempt a play at god and decide which of these actions is appeals to them more. However, sometimes an element of chance, like hiding the actual options or inverting the expectations, should still be included. This forces the reader to give real consideration to the choice.

Similarly, if it's the exposition of either the story or an arc, then a story choice is acceptable even in a story where the reader is also the protagonist. While they do dictate choices beyond the character's control, it can also be a reader's means of getting what they want out of the story. For example, if the exposition deals with a blind date, then allowing for a story choice of the date's appearance, personality, and even a location decided by the other character is acceptable. In these cases, it's about giving the reader the setup they want. After that, the story needs to be more about their own choices.

That said, the story has to take control some of the time, even when the reader is also the protagonist. Therefore, the proper approach is to masquerade a story choice as a character choice. The story controls most of what happens, but the choice that gives it this control comes from the character.
 
I'm fine with either way. I see it as "Open Choose Your Own Adventure" versus "Closed Choose Your Own Adventure." In "open" the player has more control over the environment, elements, and NPCs. In closed, the player only has control over the character's decisions.

Open choices can help determine a players personality and make for a more enjoyable experience. For example, if a player goes to a strip club that player has the option to choose the name or outfit of the next stripper that comes on stage. That way, if the player is bored by cowgirls, but loves punk rockers the player can choose the punk rocker.

Ideally, it would be nice of all chyooers tried to stick with the majority established principle of the story to which they're adding threads. It can be jarring if you're 15 threads deep and have only thus far made character choices and all of a sudden you can make choices for NPCs.
 
Back
Top