Star City- Heroes of Tomorrow IC

Artemis keyed her commlink. "Sorry, Double-B, I left my tuning fork arrow in my other quiver."

"But my GPS still works."

"Apologies. There are incidents in play. I will reconvene with you all when I return. Beetle, please check the junction point. Be careful. It is unstable. And I sense there is a lot more at play than we currently realize."

The Guardian tapped his earpiece. "Beetle, I am headed in. Follow my tracker. Thank you for your help." John tapped his shield and brought the energy shield flickering to life, drawing a futuristic looking pistol with his other hand. He grimaced as he began to pick his way back down the tunnel.

Jaime zeroed in on the transmission of The Guardian, using his radio signal to find and land at the location of the battle. Wreckage was strewn all about, concrete chunks and twisted re-bar everywhere, along with piles of bricks and mortar, powder and dust. Jaime landed lightly, his transparent wings fading away, or folding into his back, depending on ones point of view. The great armored head turned this way and that, eyes scanning the vicinity. The background signal he was perceiving was stranger here. He still couldn't quite tell exactly what it was...

"Guardian, this is Beetle, I am on location and heading into the tunnel behind you. Please proceed carefully, there seems to be...aw hell, I don't know what it is. But something here is not right and I garentee you it's a trap of some sort. I'm coming up rapidly on your six, try not to shoot me."

There was a streak of black and blue as the Beetle boosted Jaime's speed. He wasn't as fast as the Flash, but he was faster than an unaided human eye could follow. He tore off after the Guardian, a very bad feeling rising in his chest.

The tunnels beneath the city were in great disrepair. This section had been mostly forgotten about even before the Undertaking. Since then it was officially decommissioned. As The Guardian led The Beetle through the tunnels he was careful to look for signs of the return of the forces they had just dealt with.

John had been through a lot. He lost a lot of friends in the military. Insurgents, minefields, snipers, you name it. He had lost friends in the events of The Undertaking and the FlashPoint. Most of all he had lost her. John had been with many woman in his life. He dated his fair share, and had broken his heart a few times. But nothing, no one, could compare to her. Layla was the true love of his life. She was the soul of his existence. Without her there was a hollow place in him. One that he had filled with Sarah. With Billy. With becoming the hero that he was now. The transition from Oliver's backup with a simple 9mm and ski mask, to a full-fledged masked vigilante. Complete with a fancy get up and tech.

John had barely survived losing Layla. He went to a very dark place. And he did things he could never expect forgiveness for. And when he met the end, it was a foregone conclusion in his mind that he would not be seeing pearly gates. Not after what he had done. But it was Sarah that brought him back. The love of Oliver, Felicity and the rest of the Arrow Family. They reminded him who he was, who he needed to be for her. And since then he had been on a mission. Not one of Atonement. But one to ensure that people like Bolt would never cost another baby their mother. He had already ensured Bolt wouldn't. But an unfortunate truth of this world, was that for every one villain that was removed from circulation, more would come forth. Like cockroaches.

John stopped as they entered the enclave. He starred down at the pool of viscous blood that had begun to congeal on the floor. He had to push Oliver from his mind. He knew he was in good hands. And there was nothing more he could do right now. He had to focus on find his daughter and her friend. To make sure they came home safely.

"This is it. The kids were over there. By the turnstiles. The entrance from the surface was closed only a short time after it was built. When they diverted the line. It was filled in with concrete. There was a hallway there accordng to the plans, but it collapsed when Merlyn tried to bury the Glades." He gestured down the line, to the empty tunnel beyond. "It's mostly boarded up. Led to a storage area for the cars. But was also buried by the earthquake. Goes about 10 yards in before it runs into debris so thick that a mice would have to suck it in. Kids said Sarah and Billy went that way. They seem to have disappeared. J'onn said something was off but didn't know what. Guess that's why your here." John resisted the urge to take off the helmet. He knew there was a possibility that the people involved were watching. He couldn't afford to put Sarah in any more danger than she was.

"This is it. The kids were over there. By the turnstiles. The entrance from the surface was closed only a short time after it was built. When they diverted the line. It was filled in with concrete. There was a hallway there accordng to the plans, but it collapsed when Merlyn tried to bury the Glades." He gestured down the line, to the empty tunnel beyond. "It's mostly boarded up. Led to a storage area for the cars. But was also buried by the earthquake. Goes about 10 yards in before it runs into debris so thick that a mice would have to suck it in. Kids said Sarah and Billy went that way. They seem to have disappeared. J'onn said something was off but didn't know what. Guess that's why your here."

Jaime nodded, half studying The Guardian, the rest of his attention on the ruins of the tunnel ahead. He scanned the walls and floor, noting the DNA signature of Oliver Queen in the puddle of blood, absently. Slowly, the armored form moved about the space, scanning every literal inch.

"I understand that you were Military, then Intelligence? It might comfort you to check my file in the JS database, if you can access it. I'm not just here because of my tech. I was on the Job, too."

A faint alarm began to chime, just in Jaime's ears. Something about the collapsed tunnel section...he moved closer, yellow eyes glowing and flaring, as if pulsing.

There was a very strong interference, a power signature that the suit didn't know how to analyze, that Khaji Da did not like at all. It was everywhere, almost shorting out the Scarabs sensors. At the same time, there was something extremely familiar about the patterns of the energy. Jaime strode back to center of the tunnel, examining the whole thing, using pattern recognition to study everything.

"I think I've got something here. This place is like some kind of multi-dimensional nexus point. All sorts of various points in space-time interconnect right here. The kids didn't just walk through a hologram to the other side of that debris, they went somewhere, or some-when, else."

Jaime fiddled with his right forearm for a long moment, as if calibrating some piece of machinery. Then he looked back at The Guardian.

Stand back a little and prepare to take cover, I want to try something that might show us what happened to the kids. Or blow us up, either one."

Jaime raised his right arm, a sharp extension like a spike extending suddenly from his fist, aiming at the collapsed tunnel.

"Khaji Da, give me a narrow beam of tachyons, attuned to the vibrational frequency of the field, focused at 31 centimeters."

As the beam made contact with the entry point to the tunnel there was a shimmering and a high pitch whine. Light began to form around that narrow point. And then blossomed. It was like watching a projected image.

They could see Sarah and Billy dart into the tunnel. Swallowed by darkness. Hand in hand. Running for their lives. They could see Dwarfstar trying to determine if it was worth risking all the kids escaping to get back two. Finally in a rage they see him pick up what looked like a scarecrow and lash into it mercilessly.

"Where the hell did you come from old man!? You cost me! GRAH!" Dwarfstar stabbed the thing, the effigy, over and over.

The image shimmered again. They see the children emerge into light. Then it is gone.

The beam continues to pulse as it tries to maintain a connection. Suddenly the beam widens. The whine becomes a screech and the darkness of the tunnel lashes out. Exploding violently, a cloud of debris, wood and stone and trash and god-knows-what-else. As the darkness rushes out, a man steps from within it, turning and facing the oncoming torrent of inky blackness.

"Nomed eht hsinab!"

The Darkness falters, shudders, and in an instant implodes. Sucking back down the tunnel. Pulling the debris back into the place it once held. As if nothing happened. The man turns. Still holding a symbol in both hands. Clearly ancient. Clearly mystical.

"Not the best choice mate. Sugar plums and gumdrops ent the only thin' come down that tunnel. Your little trick their almost conjured forth a demonic entity."

The man in the overcoat didn't get much else out. Not before The Guardian was on him. His hand on his throat, his fist jammed between his abdomen and his rib cage. Forcing the air from his lungs and silencing him in a heartbeat.

"Who the hell are you! Where are the children!"

The man didn't bother to struggle. He knew that he was no match for an enraged father. Instead he slipped one hand into the pocket of his coat, pulled forth a small stone, and pressed it to The Guardian's shoulder. A field of bluish white light enveloped him before he dropped to the ground unconscious.

The man dropped the stone and put his hands, one still clutching the Glyph of Tiresias, he quickly begins to speak, "He's fine, just sleeping. I came to help. John Constantine. Not an enemy." John Constantine stares warily at the Beetle. Hoping he hasn't cost himself his hide.

Venom

So that was what Blue Beetle looked like...kinda...intimidating.

You say I'm a whimp?

'No of course not, just stating that right now he does look kind of..."

Scary?

'Oh stop acting like an insecure teen. You went toe-to-toe with Grundy and you lived to tell the tale."

There was a few moments of silence, like the symbiote had even cut off sensory input, then a soft mental sigh reached his mind.

I can be scary

'I believe you could, first time you cur loose like you did today.'

Again silence

I didn't

'Say what?'

I can go much worse than that, perhaps one day I can show you if the Aliens attack

'Uhm...Ohkaaaay...'

John got the feeling that he might have unlocked a memory inside the symbiote that was much better left locked away. But as the bus moved forward, the rifle slipped out of its hiding spot and he started scanning for hostile action.

As the beam made contact with the entry point to the tunnel there was a shimmering and a high pitch whine. Light began to form around that narrow point. And then blossomed. It was like watching a projected image.

They could see Sarah and Billy dart into the tunnel. Swallowed by darkness. Hand in hand. Running for their lives. They could see Dwarfstar trying to determine if it was worth risking all the kids escaping to get back two. Finally in a rage they see him pick up what looked like a scarecrow and lash into it mercilessly.

"Where the hell did you come from old man!? You cost me! GRAH!" Dwarfstar stabbed the thing, the effigy, over and over.

The image shimmered again. They see the children emerge into light. Then it is gone.

The beam continues to pulse as it tries to maintain a connection. Suddenly the beam widens. The whine becomes a screech and the darkness of the tunnel lashes out. Exploding violently, a cloud of debris, wood and stone and trash and god-knows-what-else. As the darkness rushes out, a man steps from within it, turning and facing the oncoming torrent of inky blackness.

"Nomed eht hsinab!"

The Darkness falters, shudders, and in an instant implodes. Sucking back down the tunnel. Pulling the debris back into the place it once held. As if nothing happened. The man turns. Still holding a symbol in both hands. Clearly ancient. Clearly mystical.

"Not the best choice mate. Sugar plums and gumdrops ent the only thin' come down that tunnel. Your little trick their almost conjured forth a demonic entity."

Jaime felt a pain, sharp and deep, inside his head, like someone was trying to shove an amniocentesis needle into his cortex. He winced and blinked rapidly, as the strange man in the shoddy overcoat did his whole magic thing, not even noticing the bits of debris that ricocheted off his carapace armor.

Magic...that explained everything as far as Jaime was concerned. He didn't have anything to do with it, didn't understand it and didn't want anything to do with it. Khaji Da was even more fanatically allergic to it. Which was why Jaime didn't move, even when The Guardian rushed the guy.

The man in the overcoat didn't get much else out. Not before The Guardian was on him. His hand on his throat, his fist jammed between his abdomen and his rib cage. Forcing the air from his lungs and silencing him in a heartbeat.
"Who the hell are you! Where are the children!"

The man didn't bother to struggle. He knew that he was no match for an enraged father. Instead he slipped one hand into the pocket of his coat, pulled forth a small stone, and pressed it to The Guardian's shoulder. A field of bluish white light enveloped him before he dropped to the ground unconscious.

The man dropped the stone and put his hands, one still clutching the Glyph of Tiresias, he quickly begins to speak, "He's fine, just sleeping. I came to help. John Constantine. Not an enemy." John Constantine stares warily at the Beetle. Hoping he hasn't cost himself his hide.

Jaime was, meanwhile, having an argument with himself;

"Stop it! I don't care if he used magic, I can't kill him!"

Jaime grabbed the sides of his helmet and started to shake his head from side to side, angrily. "NO!!"

The blue beetle began to bash it's own head into the nearest brick wall, over and over, screaming about not killing again...

John stood staring at the sight before him. He wasn't sure what this thing was. Some type of possession. He had seen it enough. But not demonic. Something... older. Something... other. John stood a bit straighter and set the Symbol down as he fished again through those pockets of his. He cursed softly under his breathe.

He grinned as he pulled a set of lenses from his pocket. Not typical glasses, but lenses on lenses. a series of inter-set pieces, all allowing sight beyond the normal senses. John donned the headgear and looked closely at figure before him. Toggling from one set of lenses to the next. Finally he stopped.

"Well, 'ello lovey. What 'ave we 'ere. Possession but not possession. More like a symbiosis. A case of each oppressing the other for control. Careful lad. Dangerous line you walk. I've had power strapped to m'soul, felt that rush and know what it can be. Khaji Da. Not something to mess with lightly. The lore on that thing, well it don't come easy. Precious few. Right then mate. Looks like you at least have a tenuous grasp, for now. Listen, one day, that thing is gonna take over. Just like a demon. This oppression will end. And whoever you were before, will be gone forever. Your messin wit a strong force. One I don't see you beating. It don't like me mate, cause me and those 'fore me, we have the means to prevent the possession. To unbind it. Not pleasant, but there it is. As interestin' as this is. Not why I came."

John carefully takes off the headgear and moves to The Guardian. Carefully, he again grasps the stone and presses it lightly to The Guardian and mumbles in a language long forgot. Suddenly he is awake. But calm.

"Listen mate. I know who you are. Who they are to you. I am here to help. But you ent gotta listen if you don't want."

Guardian stands and shrungs his shoulders, loosening himself. "Who the hell are you? And how do you know what you claim?" The voice modulator in his helmet covering John Diggle's voice. He looks at him cautiously. He had just put him down. Could have taken him. Without a doubt. "Assuming I trust you... what's going on?"

"Listen mate, there are forces here. Forces that are well beyond us. Those kids, you need to know they are safe. Not sure where they are right now, but they are definitely safe. They activated an ancient magic. And by doing so, they have brought a great force into this world. This force, it can be good, or evil. The choice lies in the hands of the wielder. I met them. For a minute. I believe that they will help usher in this power for good. But they need your support and trust. If I had to guess, I would say they will be home soon. They have a great force watching over them. It will guide them back."

Diggle considers this for a moment. He has no reason to trust this guy. But somehow he does. His instinct says he needs to. "Fine. But we need to go back to headquarters. Someone there will understand better than I do. And can confirm if your being truthful. It's the only lead I have. But let me be clear. If you are in anyway putting those kids at harm, if you had anything to do with this... you'll wish he got a hold of you instead of me." Diggle gestures Beetle before turning and signaling for John to precede them out of the tunnels. "Beetle! Snap out of it. Let's move."

The Long & Winding Road. (Jaime)

John stood staring at the sight before him. He wasn't sure what this thing was. Some type of possession. He had seen it enough. But not demonic. Something... older. Something... other. John stood a bit straighter and set the Symbol down as he fished again through those pockets of his. He cursed softly under his breathe.

He grinned as he pulled a set of lenses from his pocket. Not typical glasses, but lenses on lenses. a series of inter-set pieces, all allowing sight beyond the normal senses. John donned the headgear and looked closely at figure before him. Toggling from one set of lenses to the next. Finally he stopped.

"Well, 'ello lovey. What 'ave we 'ere. Possession but not possession. More like a symbiosis. A case of each oppressing the other for control. Careful lad. Dangerous line you walk. I've had power strapped to m'soul, felt that rush and know what it can be. Khaji Da. Not something to mess with lightly. The lore on that thing, well it don't come easy. Precious few. Right then mate. Looks like you at least have a tenuous grasp, for now. Listen, one day, that thing is gonna take over. Just like a demon. This oppression will end. And whoever you were before, will be gone forever. Your messin wit a strong force. One I don't see you beating. It don't like me mate, cause me and those 'fore me, we have the means to prevent the possession. To unbind it. Not pleasant, but there it is. As interestin' as this is. Not why I came."

"Please stop probing me," Blue Beetle growled, his faceplate littered with mortar and red brick dust, "even if that scanner of yours appears to be passive. You're worse than that Phantom Stranger. Also, every word you say is its own migraine."

He then cracked himself in the forehead with the heel of one hand, which couldn't have helped those alleged migraines any: "I'm not blinding him, either, we just met the guy!"

Holding his head in both hands, Blue Beetle seemed almost catatonic for a few moments, occasional muttering seeping through, more than a little oblivious to the conversation between the two men named John. (Khaji Da would, of course, be able to replay the audiovisual for him later, but right now it was all about the oppression and the contest of wills that Constantine had described.)

Diggle gestures Beetle before turning and signaling for John to precede them out of the tunnels. "Beetle! Snap out of it. Let's move."

Startled back to some degree of awareness, Beetle trudged after Johns Diggle and Constantine with a gait like there was lead in his boots. "Yeah, yeah, I'm right behind you, Guardian, you don't have to shout."

"(No, no, you look, you look at the energy patterns-- he's not magical, he doesn't have enough magic to make a light bulb glow if you stuck it in his mouth, it's the things he's using. What if I disarm him, eh? Precision disruption bolts? Will that make you stop that quejoso noise?)"

Last edited:
::: The Salem Witch House Museum :::​

The building had grown dark. Somehow it had become much larger, darker and twisted. The people had been hoarded into the middle of the courtroom that had been set up as a display in the first floor of the tourist attraction. The mannequins in the exhibit had come to life and were herding the humans roughly. Sitting on the judge's chair was a young man with a pale complexion and dark hair, dressed not dissimilar to the recently awoken mannequins. In his lap sits a large orange striped cat-like creature.

"Yes my pets! Bring them here! Let them burn for their sins! Haaaahaahhhaaa!" The young man cackles maniacly as the brutish mannequins begin forcing the people to their knees. The former judge began inscribing runes around them as their master cackles and pets his familiar. "You have tortured and belittled magic. You have killed countless practioners for what? For their gifts? Now you will feel the pain that your kind has caused! You took our world.... forced us to the darkness, the shadows. Now you will be ash. This is the beginning! With this sacrifice, I will call upon the 13th Age of Magic! And the Darkness will rule. And there is precious little you pathetic humans can do! Mwhahahahaha!!"

The building from the outside had been warped and twisted. Taking over much of the neighboring properties, drawing the people within them into its dark grasp as well. The building had gone from a landmark of history to a visage out of the nightmares of every gothic novelist. The world around the building was changing as well. A storm began to encircle the house, turning day to night. Rain pelting the house, lightning bursting through the skies. The trees around the building had come to life, twisting like the ones from Wizard of Oz as they attempt to grab the passersby and police that were trying to get into the building.

As the darkness spreads, enveloping the entire block, a bolt of lightning burns through the shadows. Not from the heavens, but from... elsewhere. The window to the courtroom explodes in a hail of glass and bits of wood trim. As the bolt strikes the floor, the entire building shakes. There is a smell of charred wood, and ozone. In the place where the lightning struck stands a man and a woman.

"Hi there. We haven't met. But, clearly, your a bad guy. And a bully. I don't like bullies." The man grinned as he addressed the young man on the bench.

"It's true. Neither one of us do really. I like the whole haunted house look though. Super creepy. Absolutely cray-cray. So, do we have to do the whole fight thing, or can we skip that and just have you undo all this?"

"I am Klarion Bleak, ruler of the Dark Court! You will bow before me! Bow down and herald your new king, for the future of mankind, shall be quite Bleak!"

Did he just use his name as a threat? I mean, really? That was really lame. I mean, really, really, lame. So I guess the two of us have to kick your butt then? Right."

"You dare to belittle me?! Teekl, let us show these interlopers just how powerful we are. Anamatos, destroy them, Teekl, let us become one!" As Klarion gestures to his Anamatos, the figures given life, they seem to grow darker, more powerful as they lurch toward the man and woman.

Klarion stands as his familiar levitates from his lap. Elongating, shifting and changing and merging their forms. Becoming both man and monster, with fangs and talons, Klarion leaps from the judiciary bench. Claws flashing as he crashes into the male hero, rending cape, shirt, flesh and tissue. The yellow bolt on the man's chest quickly darkening and turning reddish brown. Meanwhile, the anamatos lunge and grab at the woman.

As they smash into her, grabbing and clawing, she winces at their strength. She is able to shift and twist from their grasps. Her lithe movements allowing her to dodge through their grasp. She twists and drives an elbow into the face of the judge, a knee into he "witch" still in chains, and grabs two small child Anamatos and uses them to bowl over the remainder. As they crash to the floor Klarion's enchantment breaks and they fall to plastic pieces.

"HOLE IN ONE!" She cries with exuberence.

"Wrong sport! I think you mean Strike!" Her partner grunts and struggles to quip back as he is fending off the vicious attack. Already his wounds begin to heal. The blood flow stopping, then starting as more slashes land, then stopping again.

"I was going for bowling. Strike is baseball isn't it?"

"Seriously... and I am the one that gets made fun of... its both."

"So it's a hole in one and a strike?" She chuckles and sticks out her tongue as she darts toward her partner.

The man is struggling with Klarion and Teekl's Horigal form. Their claws rake his flesh, tearing into him, their fangs find their mark and rip flesh from bone. Clearly less comfortable with combat than his partner, he throws a massive haymaker, staggering the Horigal. Already the bleeding is slowing, despite healing quickly, he still feels the pain.

She moves like lightning, catching the Horigal before it can regain balance. Wrapping her arms around its waist, she powers him into the air. Twisting, she throws him in a pro wrestling style suplex, tumbling him across the room. He smashes through the wooden judges bench, splintering it as he does.

There is a flash of flame as they brawl. "Enough Klarion! The enchantment has begun! Darkness rises!" An older man stands beside the flaming circle of sigils that had been drawn on the floor. The people are shrieking as the flames begin to lick and loll around them, not reds and yellows, but yellows, greens and blacks. The people begin to fall and their cries begin to fade.

There is a streak of Green as The Martian Manhunter arrives. Using his Martian Vision he destroys one of the sigils containing the flames. The flames break free, leaving the humans, seeking the power of the supernaturally gifted beings instead. Moving intelligently, they lunge for J'onn.

In a moment of panic he is overwhelmed by flame. His greatest weakness. It begins to devour him as he tries to use every weapon in his arsenal. The magic flames still binding to his form as he goes inanimate, clinging as he tries to speed away from it. Nothing seeming to work. He falls to his knees. Just as his world begins to go black, he hears her. Whispering in his ear.

The woman dashes toward the fallen Manhunter. Whispering in his ear, she soothes him as she speaks in tongues she didn't know she knew. The flames leave his form, they dance before her. Then lunge. She speaks louder. As does the older man. "Foolish girl! I am Felix Faust! The most powerful warlock in the world. You cannot undo my charms." He again begins to intone his command, but before he can finish Lightning sears through the room.

SHAZAM!!!!! The young male hero comes toward Faust. The lightning looms in his wake, chasing, attempting to strike him. He twists, slides between the Faust's legs and the bolt collides with the warlock. The magical charge, and the electricity prove to be too much. They to knock him cold.

The Horigal clambers to its feet. Apprises the situation and shrieks. He claws the air before him, and a portal manifests. He dives through, still shrieking.

While the young woman tends to the Martian, the man moves to the humans, unconscious and huddled on the floor. He moves faster than the human eye can perceive, checking pulses. They are all alive, but they are weak. Frailly clinging to life. There are no signs of any burns, but he can sense that the fire was more metaphysical. Burning the soul.

The building shifts, turning back into the old museum. EMTs, police and fire crews pour in. Listening as the young man explains what happened. While trying to explain the nature of the injury a voice calls out from the door.

"You can't help them. But she can." Doctor Midnite leans on the door. Surveying the situation. His owl swoops by, landing on the floor beside the people. It makes a squawk of disapproval before returning to Midnite's shoulder. "This is Sister Sunlight. She possesses great magical healing. When I heard what was happening here, I called upon her in hopes she could help. Good thing I did."

A small blonde woman steps around Doctor Midnite. She moves slowly to the humans. She kneels and closes her eyes. The room is suddenly full of light. Light so bright it is like staring into the sun. As the light fades she is smiling. Holding the hand of one of the children. "They will be fine. The curse invoked her was powerful. While it wasn't completed, enough was done. The Darkness is stirring. He awoke. I must seek counsel. Good luck." With no further talk she steps away, removes a small item from under her coat, and with a boom, opens a portal and steps through, with it snapping shut behind her.

As the emergency personnel deal with the humans, and arrest Faust, the two young heroes seem to disappear. J'onn with them. Doctor Midnite sighs. Perplexed that they had done so. He taps the earpiece in his mask. "Guys. We have new players. Two young heroes. Pretty potent. J'onn got toasted. They took him and left. Not sure how. But he told me he trusted them. Said he thought he knew who they were. Anyway, heading back to the Hospital. Leslie just moved into her office today. Promised I would help her."

There is a moment of pause before Barry responds. "Right. Hope that bodes well. This is getting to be a really bad day. Enjoy your date. Oh, and thanks." Barry steers the bus into the lot behind the Brownstone. He activates his earpiece again, going out over the open comm channel still. "Guardian. You have any word? Kids are safely arriving at the JSA Building now."

"Met a new friend. Says he has information. BB doesn't seem to like him much. We're en route."

Barry nods. Turning he looks at Bart. You did your best. Thank you. You definitely need some work, cut out the Impulse control issues a bit, but one day kid, you could be a hero. Let's get you back in. Guessing your starving. I know I am. Pizza or Tacos?" Barry smiles, trying to convey happiness and approval.

"Good fortune." (Felicity)

Her laptop open on a counter beside her, her phone ignored in her hand, Felicity stood in the medlab over Oliver as Zatanna worked her literal magic. Her teeth worked her lower lip, her other hand cradled her chin, and she tried her very best to keep her emotions on an even keel.

At least there was a body this time. At least she knew he was alive.

But always, Ollie, with the getting stabbed, the bleeding out, the--

--how many times in their dozen-or-so years as a duo had her heart had to stand this? How many times had her heart broken?

She'd given up, more than once. Washed her hands of the whole crusade and walked out.

But always he'd drawn her back. That damnable magnetism. All the science she'd absorbed over the years, and she'd never be able to explain it, just like she'd never be able to explain how her friend's saying words backwards could undo the damage to Ollie's body.

She knew Zatanna would understand. After what had happened to her father.

But she didn't dare interrupt, didn't dare interject in the hustle and the flow of those impossible back-words.

And so she stood. In sometimes-sniffling silence. And tried not to let her heart break over Oliver Jonas Queen all over again.

Last edited:
Distance to Target: Point-Blank. (Artemis)

Artemis trundled into the parking lot just ahead of the bus, and, as Barry was pausing to talk to Bart, she slithered off of her bike and hurried to pass-key the rear door to The Brownstone and stick one foot inside.

After all, beating The Flash wouldn't count unless she actually reached the interior of the building first.

Standard rules of engagement.

Having confirmed her win, she pulled her helmet off and walked slowly back towards the bus, keying her comm to pick up on Doctor Mid-Nite's sitrep.

"I seriously don't wanna think about anything that could 'toast' The Martian."

She squinted. "Also, first person who makes a 'Martian-Mallow' joke gets a very pointy enema."

Last edited:
The bus slowed down and turned, he got up from his seat, jumped and with a slash of the whip-like appendage, he grabbed hold of the building opposite their HQ. He landed against the wall and quickly scampered higher, taking up overwatch, it was a perilous position, that moment when you think you're save...but nothing happened as he followed the bus' last few meters from the opposite building.

Jumping after the bus and landing behind it, rolling and coming to his feet, "Somebody managed to fry Big Red? That is a scary thought." He wasn't sure how the children would react to him, he must look like walking nightmare of black and silver ink.

Oh alright

Before John could react, he felt his face being uncovered, the suit shifted, the spider web and spider motive ebbing away, leaving him in a black jumpsuit with white cuffs and trim, much like the SHIELD agents wear.

Now you can socialize, thank me later with that double cheeseburger,

'Roger that'

John stepped out from behind the bus, "I think anybody making fun of J'onn would not like him to know about it, but IF somebody does need a sharp enema, I'll hold them steady for yah."

Rejoinder? I 'ardly know 'er! (Artemis)

John stepped out from behind the bus, "I think anybody making fun of J'onn would not like him to know about it, but IF somebody does need a sharp enema, I'll hold them steady for yah."

Oh, hey.

He's not bad-looking when he's not thickly coated in an old-school X-Files special effect.

Artemis chuckled faintly, tossed a casual salute to John Denvers from the corner of her forehead.

"I'm pretty good at hitting moving targets, but if you wanna make it easier for me to turn their brown-eye into a bullseye, I appreciate the sentiment."

Last edited:
"The End is The Beginning," by Two Steps From Hell. (Rose)

Ace was a mangled, sparking heap.

Jack was down and down hard, a sizzled handprint on the unmasked side of his face.

Ten was beating a hasty retreat in their general direction aboard her spare Flight Deck.

Queen had been summarily disarmed.

The blue Elven woman had somehow survived The Death Card, returning from one of her teleports without the card but with a fortunately grievous injury.

And the electrical hero still had plenty of, hm, spark left in him, any second now he'd start chasing down Ten.

But King had what they came for. It was a shame that they couldn't acquire any bonus spoils, which would have made the job significantly more profitable. But sometimes that was the way the cookie crumbled.

"One last card left to play," King declared, and held it up between his index and middle finger as Ten and Queen moved in close on either side of him. "'Get Out of Jail Free.'"

He threw it down with a flourish, and as it slapped against the floor--

BOOM

--the world tore open around them in a hyperspace cacophony and they were gone.

"Son of a bitch," Static groaned as his flying disc clanged to the ground, him on it, just shy of reaching the blast radius of whatever insane teleportal machine they'd just used.

But then he heard a groan behind him, and whirled to find the shadow-flinging lady crumpled in a heap on the floor, black blood seeping out of-- what-- was that her brachial artery? Whatever passed for a brachial artery in her species.

She had her hand held up beside the injury, and she was obviously trying to use her shadow-web to patch the hurt, but for some reason she couldn't get it to cohere, it just sort of materialized in tatters around her fingers and wafted to the floor.

"Cauter--" she mumbled, her eyelids drooping. "--cauter--"

He swooped over to her as fast as his disc would carry him, and after a moment to carefully aim-- TZZAP!

She flinched and cried out-- "Ahhh!"

--but that was good, right?

Meant she was alive.

"Did I get it?" he squinted. "Are you good? Medicine isn't my strongest science-- though I did defibrillate a guy once when his pacemaker went screwy."

"Yeh-yes," ShadowPax replied, woozily, sitting up and holding her head. "This body repairs itself quickly. Though-- though not so quickly when the blood runs so thick and fast."

(This was true, to an extent. While ShadowPax did not heal as fast as her-- father? --what The Hell would Rose know about ShadowPax' father? --she did recover quickly, and so long as she stayed alive 'till The H-Dial timed out all her damage and inventory would reset the next time Rose dialed her. All of Rose's Heroes were like this, every item that each Hero lost or used would be returned to baseline by the time Rose called on them again; The Koan written Entry #7 in her diary about 8 or 10 times now. This also meant that any items they gained would also vanish, Rose and Robby had often wondered where such things went.)

Jack groaned, then, and started to sit up himself--

--but Static's lip curled, and he reached out a hand, using his magnetism to haul Ace's broken chassis through the air and basically drop it on Jack, pinning him to the floor, one steely hand planted on Jack's face to block his laser mask. "Slow your roll, pal, you're not going anywhere."

"The villains escaped," ShadowPax observed dully.

"They did," Static nodded. "And I have no idea what they got away with, I hope this place's inventory is up to snuff. It could've been worse. But man, if we'd worked as a team instead of two solo acts, this could've gone a lot better."

"Yes," ShadowPax agreed. "I am-- sorry. That is not a word I use often, as I can be very driven and self-motivated. But it happens to be true. You fought well today, lightning-caster, and I am humbled to owe you my life."

"Ain't no thing," Static promised.

"It is a thing," ShadowPax replied, vehemently. "I am called ShadowPax, and I am affiliated with a loose-knit cadre of heroines who work in this region. Just as I now call you ally, so too will they."

Static nodded to her, and touched the brim of his hood. "Static. Good to meet you. Maybe next time The Royal Flush Gang causes trouble 'round here, we'll flush 'em out with a gang of our own."

ShadowPax smirked wearily. Between this and the trauma she'd suffered as a badly-dehydrated Submersive, it had been a taxing day. But so long as she was conscious, she would respect a good wisecrack: "That sounds royally charming."

Static chuckled. "Cool. So-- now what? I gotta go make sure none of those guards are seriously hurt--"

ShadowPax frowned, and touched her forehead with her fingertips. "I-- I wish I could stay. But my injury was grave. And I am-- shamefully-- shaken. I must withdraw. But know my gratitude, Static. Know it well."

And then she was gone in a billow of shadow, and Static stood there for a moment as Jack whimpered helplessly under Ace. "Yeah, sure, leave the black guy with the clean-up, I see how it is."

But he wasn't too upset, he'd come through this mostly unhurt, and she'd almost died.

He used his magnetism to put Ace into a wrestling pin, holding Jack to the ground, then reached out and plucked the laser mask off of Jack's face.

"Stay put," Static informed Jack. "There's gonna be people who want to talk to you."

Then he hurried around the corner to check on the armored guards he'd seen taken down flying in.

Last edited:
"Rising Darkness," by Two Steps From Hell. (Rose)

As previously discussed, ShadowPax had two varieties of teleportation available to her. She could step into a nearby shadow and step out of any shadow within two miles. Or she could shift completely into Shadow and then emerge again into this plane at any point Rose had already physically been.

There was one exception to this rule, this rule that said she could only go places she'd been-- there was a more instinctive plane-shift, a yearning of the spirit-- she could blindly leap to the place at which she could find that which was dearest to her heart.

And so it was.

Robby Reed sat nervously in the back of an Uber car, trying to gaze out the windows, the windshield, checking his phone for messages-- that mysterious text was still weighing on his mind, but if he could just hear back from Virgil, or from Rose--

--and then everything went dark around him in the back seat, the driver yelped up front, it was a good thing they were stuck in traffic--

--and when the darkness parted, ShadowPax knelt astride Robby's lap, her arms draped around his shoulders. She was a slightly paler blue than usual, her ear was bent, a burn mark adorning one arm-- but she was alive, and Robby felt instant relief.

"Hey, what the Hell--?" the driver bellowed, but before he could demand further explanation, ShadowPax kissed Robby full on the mouth with lips still healing from injury.

--the driver watched with wide and startled eyes. This-- didn't happen every day, gorgeous fantasy creatures pouncing on his fares.

ShadowPax drew back from Robby, who licked his lips worriedly. "You okay?"

"I require-- nurturing," she growled, in no uncertain tones. "And I believe you are taking the rest of the day off from work."

"Yeah," Robby nodded, affection and worry and fire flickering in his eyes. "Yeah, I think you're right."

Darkness folded around them both again, and when it parted an instant later, they were gone.

The driver stared at the empty back seat, and turned to move his vehicle further forward as cars behind him honked. "Yeah, yeah, fine, go get some. But I'm chargin' ya surge pricing."

Last edited:
"United We Stand, Divided We Fall," by Two Steps From Hell. (Rose)

They landed in bed, and they tangled and they rolled.

He was gentle and affectionate, as though his touch could heal.

She was rough and snarling, she just wanted to feel alive-- to reassure herself she'd survived the day's ordeals.

At one point when she was arching and bucking on top of him and he was groaning with his hands on the blue skin of her back--

SWOOOSH

--she went back to being Rose and unhurt and he rolled her onto her back and continued without missing a beat, his lips on her throat and his hands in her hair and her eyelids fluttering helplessly and her cries echoing off of the ceiling instead of ShadowPax'.

********​

As the proverbial dust settle and as their flesh gradually cooled back down, they lay in each others' arms.

"Static was there?" Robby frowned quietly. "I've heard of him. He did this thing out in Dakota-- but how did he know something was happening?"

Rose chuckled faintly. "I never know how real superheroes get their distress calls. Maybe his powers let him know there was a scrambly thing happening to radio frequencies? Like an electromagnetic thing? Is-- is that how that works?"

Sniffling, and then rubbing beneath his nose with a finger, Robby frowned. "It might be. I don't exactly have his trading card."

As they lay there, Rose's watch bleated at her from her wrist, and her phone mirrored the sound from somewhere on the floor-- ShadowPax' black leather garments had turned into Rose's attire just as ShadowPax had turned into Rose. "Oh, hey, I got a voicemail. Must've gotten a missed call when I was dialed out--"

Popping it on speaker, she sat up a bit beside Robby.

And both of them stared at her watch in startlement as a garbled, staticky, pleading voice emanated from the dial:

"Rose, call me. I'm here."

"Who the Hell is that?" Rose wondered, keying to save the message. "Who-- who the Hell was that?"

Robby stared at her, then stared at her watch. "I-- I don't know. But he seemed to know you--"

He blinked, and then scrambled across the bed, peering over the side, finding his jeans where ShadowPax had flung them and fishing his own phone out of his pocket. "Hey, do you have a missed call? What's the number?"

Rose paged through her call log-- "Uh-- 10-digit number, all sevens. Is-- is that a real number? It sounds fake, like a movie number, except don't they use fives?"

"I dunno, I just dunno," Robby said, sitting back beside her, staring at his own phone, "but I got a text from the same number telling me to tell 'her,' I guess that's you, to call them. I tried doing an Internet look-up while I was in the Uber on the way to Halo, but-- it seems like about ten years ago, they made seven-seven-seven an area code for Toronto, so it could be a legit number? But before that, all sevens meant it was a spoofed number by telemarketers or debt collectors or whatever. So-- so I don't know. It could be a real thing. Telemarketers aren't usually so cryptic."

Rose stared at the text message on Robby's phone, and then replayed the message on her own voicemail.

She bit her lip.

"I should-- I should call. Otherwise-- otherwise we'll always wonder, won't we?"

"Yeah," Robby frowned. "But do you hear that big boom in between the repeat of the message? Like-- cannon fire at a churchbell? --it sounds dangerous. Maybe it's better to wonder. As a scientist, I know I should-- be empirical-- but just this once, I think. Maybe. Better to wonder."

"If he's in trouble," Rose stared at her watch, looked at Robby, bewilderment in her eyes, all she wanted to be was a hero, to be good at being a hero, she'd never had a chance to really be anything her whole life, and this had fallen into her lap-- "If he's in trouble we should help him."

Robby closed his eyes, and took a breath, and nodded. "Then call him back."

"Okay." She took a moment to steel herself, called up that number again on her missed calls log-- and hit dial.

"Okay."

Last edited:
Zatanna surveyed the work her magical skills had done. She knew healers that would have been able to do more. But none of them knew who the Arrow was. This was a situation that required not only healing, but discretion. The wound had knit closed. And she could see that color was returning to his face. He might be sore for a couple days, but that would be the worst of it. He was lucky. If J'onn hadn't been there, well, instead of a visit with old friends, this could have been a lot worse.

Zatanna covered over Oliver's upper thigh. She turned and looked at Felicity. She could see the stress oozing from her. She wasn't particularly skilled at auromancy, but she didn't need to be to see it. "You know, most girls would be peeved to find their husband in bed with a chick in a corset and thigh highs. Maybe I've lost my touch?" Zatanna stretched cat-like and leaned on the bottom of the bed. "He's gonna be fine hon. You have my word. Right now he is magically sedated. I can bring him around whenever. Thought you might need to talk first."

The children filed into the Brownstone one after the other. Most of them seemed to be tired. The stress of the day finally taking it's toll on them. Barry shrugged and bumped Artemis on the shoulder as he passed. His smile saying all that needed to be said.

The Johns arrived shortly after. Constantine paused as he walked in.

"Dammit. She's here..."

Guardian looked quizzically for a moment at John. He wasn't sure who "she" was, but he figured that it must be someone John didn't seem to want to run across. For a moment he looked toward Artemis before determining it wasn't likely that she knew him.

"Seems one of me... well, former associates, is 'ere. I can feel her magical residue. She ent m'biggest fan. Hopefully she can see we got bigger issues."

Guardian couldn't help but chuckle. "I need to make a call. Get these kids taken care of. There's a study through there. Bar inside the roll-top desk. We'll be in in a minute. You can explain what it is you know." John gestured to a door off to the left. He nodded back as Constantine nodded and made his way across the lobby. John pulled up his headset display and used it to dial Lance. Lance. Guardian. We have everyone except Sarah Diggle and Billy Batson. We have a lead on that too though. Listen, we don't know if this is over or not. Suspects got away. Might be best if the families have some protection." John listened as his modulated voice cut through the phone. He nodded as Lance promised protective details. With parents on the way he hung up. He called up another number, dialed it and cut the modulator as the phone was answered.

Hi. Yeah, long time. Listen, we need a little back up. Think you can make it to the Brownstone? We have a class full of kids. Yeah he thing on the news. Might be better if you didn't come in the mask. These kids they need a friendly face right about now. Okay. See you in five." John hung up and walked toward the kids. Again tapping the voice modulator back on.

"Your parents and the police are going to be coming soon. Until then, a friend of mine has decided to join us. She's going to take you to the library, right down there, and keep you company until you get picked up. We have bad guys to go get. So, lets head down."

The kids groaned slightly as they trudged down the hall. They filed into the large library and found seats on sofas, chairs, pillows, and the floor. Many dozing off as soon as they did. Diggle stands by the door. Waiting patiently. He hugs her as she enters the library. "Good thing I decided to take a semester at Star University. Everyone ok?" John nodded as they embraced.

She turns to the kids, flipping her red locks out of her face. "Hey kiddos! My name is Barbara. I know you guys have had a tough day. Been there. About ten years ago, I was kidnapped by a badman too. Like you, a hero saved me. So, if you need to talk, I am here. But, I really came to have some fun with you."

Without missing a beat she takes off from the door, sprints to the nearest table, flips over, hands making contact and propelling herself up and onto the other side. Tucking in the air, rotating and spinning she lands on her feet. The kids begin to cheer.

"Did I mention that I do gymnastics? Also, I have a friend, see he grew up in the circus. So he taught me how to make balloon animals. Who wants one?" Barbara Gordon grins as she pulls a pouch of balloons and a small hand pump from the inside of her track jacket.

Judging the kids to be in good hands, Diggle returns to find Constantine sipping bourbon with his feet up on a desk.

Marital Felicity. (C'mon, you know this one.)

"You know, most girls would be peeved to find their husband in bed with a chick in a corset and thigh highs. Maybe I've lost my touch?" Zatanna stretched cat-like and leaned on the bottom of the bed.

Felicity smiled faintly, though the expression didn't quite reach her eyes. "No, actually, you just described exactly his type. I should probably ask you where you got your outfit so I can surprise him some night."

And it wasn't like Oliver had never been unfaithful. He'd cheated on Laurel so many different times-- with Sara-- with Moonday-- how many more?

--but since he'd come back from The Island, he'd been a different man. A better man. The only marriage of his she ever had to worry about was the one he had with his work, and even then that was kind of an "OT3" situation. (Though, speaking of OT3s, Sara Lance had totally hit on her one time, and wouldn't that have been an interesting arrangement?)

"He's gonna be fine hon. You have my word. Right now he is magically sedated. I can bring him around whenever. Thought you might need to talk first."

Felicity laughed a broken little laugh at that. "Well, coming from you, words mean a lot. Especially if they're, uh, 'drows.'" (She fumbled the backwards-spoken last word awkwardly but adorably, very few people had the flair for that as had La Famiglia di Zatara.)

She moved closer, though, sniffling again, biting her lip, and then leaning down to kiss Oliver on his forehead.

"Was it ever like this," she mumbled, worrying that she was going to step on emotional toes but needing some kind of traction, needing to ground herself with the help of a shared life experience, "with your dad?"

Last edited:
Felicity laughed a broken little laugh at that. "Well, coming from you, words mean a lot. Especially if they're, uh, 'drows.'" (She fumbled the backwards-spoken last word awkwardly but adorably, very few people had the flair for that as had La Famiglia di Zatara.)

She moved closer, though, sniffling again, biting her lip, and then leaning down to kiss Oliver on his forehead.

"Was it ever like this," she mumbled, worrying that she was going to step on emotional toes but needing some kind of traction, needing to ground herself with the help of a shared life experience, "with your dad?"

"I assure you, I have no sword. But my sdrow, tend to cut keen enough." A far away look creeps into Zatanna's eyes. "You know, my dad... it's not that he didn't try. He was a good man. A lot like Oliver. He put people ahead of himself. Risked so much... in the end, it cost him his life. But you know, I find myself following in his footsteps. Honey, you guys live a life that one does not choose. It chooses you, and once it does, you either accept it, and do the best you can, or you die terribly. Oliver, he is never going to be a stay at home dad. But neither are you going to be a stay at home mom. You both have a heart so powerful that it draws you to do the right thing. No matter what. Like my dad." Zatanna looks down a bit. Struggling to keep the tears from her eyes. "It's the hardest thing isn't it? Being the one behind the hero. It's why I started doing what I do. Not to be with him, not to be his sidekick. But, because I couldn't stand being alone and waiting for him to come back... or not. I decided I had to get out there and do what he was doing, what I was born to do. You know that Oliver is the man you love. And he loves you. This... this doesn't matter. If I counted the number of times that my dad came home beat up, bloodied or worse. The number of times he didn't come home at all for lord knows how long. But in the end, we always loved each other, and he always would be there when I needed him. That's what you and Oliver have. No matter what, your hearts, their bound. His and yours. But trust me lovey, he would drop it all if you asked him. But you never will. Because you know that as much as you need him, the world needs him more. That is what I had to accept with my dad."

A couple of tears finally break free of Zatanna's eyes. She chuckles as she wipes them awy. "Damn hon, my mascara is going to run. Listen, just know he loves you and that he does what he does out of that love. And I would be glad to introduce you to my tailor. As long as I get to see the results. Zatanna winks and chuckles as she stands up and moves to hug her friend. "Should we wake him? It's very easy, course, only you can. True love's kiss and all that."

Grouping. (Artemis)

The children filed into the Brownstone one after the other. Most of them seemed to be tired. The stress of the day finally taking it's toll on them. Barry shrugged and bumped Artemis on the shoulder as he passed. His smile saying all that needed to be said.

Unbeknownst to Barry, that was, of course, the shoulder that Icicle had tagged, riiiiiight as The Atom's accupressure was wearing off-- ow --but she managed to only squint at him and not swear in front of the kids: "Anytime you want a rematch, fleetfeet. Plus, you and me gotta talk about your motormouthed little friend, there."

The Johns arrived shortly after. Constantine paused as he walked in.

"Dammit. She's here..."

Guardian looked quizzically for a moment at John. He wasn't sure who "she" was, but he figured that it must be someone John didn't seem to want to run across. For a moment he looked toward Artemis before determining it wasn't likely that she knew him.

Sure enough, Artemis could only shrug helplessly. Da fuq is he talking about? Da fuq is he?

As Diggle made that phone call and then had a confab with the guy in the trenchcoat, Artemis jutted a chin-up nod at the Beetle guy. Don't say anything bug-racist, don't say anything bug-racist-- "Hey. 'Sup? Dig the antennae." --shit.

"Your parents and the police are going to be coming soon. Until then, a friend of mine has decided to join us. She's going to take you to the library, right down there, and keep you company until you get picked up. We have bad guys to go get. So, lets head down."

The kids groaned slightly as they trudged down the hall. They filed into the large library and found seats on sofas, chairs, pillows, and the floor. Many dozing off as soon as they did. Diggle stands by the door. Waiting patiently. He hugs her as she enters the library. "Good thing I decided to take a semester at Star University. Everyone ok?" John nodded as they embraced.

She turns to the kids, flipping her red locks out of her face. "Hey kiddos! My name is Barbara. I know you guys have had a tough day. Been there. About ten years ago, I was kidnapped by a badman too. Like you, a hero saved me. So, if you need to talk, I am here. But, I really came to have some fun with you."

Without missing a beat she takes off from the door, sprints to the nearest table, flips over, hands making contact and propelling herself up and onto the other side. Tucking in the air, rotating and spinning she lands on her feet. The kids begin to cheer.

"Did I mention that I do gymnastics? Also, I have a friend, see he grew up in the circus. So he taught me how to make balloon animals. Who wants one?" Barbara Gordon grins as she pulls a pouch of balloons and a small hand pump from the inside of her track jacket.

Artemis watched Barbara with a squint. She was pretty sure she knew that lady-- hadn't she been an upperclassman of hers back at Gotham Academy? Or-- something?

What was her deal, hanging out at The Brownstone?

"Not sure why they hadda bring in a ringer," Artemis grumbled to Venom or to Beetle or anyone in earshot of her low, sardonic complaint, "I can stick a landing if you need a party trick."

Then she paused, and rolled her shoulder again, and reconsidered when she felt it twinge.

"Eh, but she's a guest, I'll let her have this one."

Last edited:
"Intense happiness." (Felicity)

"I assure you, I have no sword. But my sdrow, tend to cut keen enough."

Felicity's eyes zigged and zagged back and forth for a moment, like she was rapidly reading a screen-- parsing-- "Oh, right, I pluralized the reverse singular instead of reversing the plural. My-- my bad."

A far away look creeps into Zatanna's eyes. "You know, my dad... it's not that he didn't try. He was a good man. A lot like Oliver. He put people ahead of himself. Risked so much... in the end, it cost him his life. But you know, I find myself following in his footsteps. Honey, you guys live a life that one does not choose. It chooses you, and once it does, you either accept it, and do the best you can, or you die terribly. Oliver, he is never going to be a stay at home dad. But neither are you going to be a stay at home mom. You both have a heart so powerful that it draws you to do the right thing. No matter what. Like my dad."

"I--" Felicity started, stopped again, blinked back her own ferocious tears, "I-- I have a confession to make. My heart isn't that powerful. I've given up before. There's not a day goes by when I open my eyes that I try to remember a normal life of crunches and brushing teeth-- but his heart. His heart is powerful enough for both of us. It has this gravity. Pulls us both back in. Every time."

Zatanna looks down a bit. Struggling to keep the tears from her eyes. "It's the hardest thing isn't it? Being the one behind the hero. It's why I started doing what I do. Not to be with him, not to be his sidekick. But, because I couldn't stand being alone and waiting for him to come back... or not. I decided I had to get out there and do what he was doing, what I was born to do. You know that Oliver is the man you love. And he loves you. This... this doesn't matter. If I counted the number of times that my dad came home beat up, bloodied or worse. The number of times he didn't come home at all for lord knows how long. But in the end, we always loved each other, and he always would be there when I needed him. That's what you and Oliver have. No matter what, your hearts, their bound. His and yours. But trust me lovey, he would drop it all if you asked him. But you never will. Because you know that as much as you need him, the world needs him more. That is what I had to accept with my dad."

"Oh," Felicity murmured. "I could never do what you've done, what your dad did, what Oliver does, what Barry-- I could never follow in those footsteps. Be the bad-ass in the leather and the boots. That happened once before, one of Oliver's exes, didn't end well, she moved to Gotham, it was a whole thing."

"But you're right. I get to share him with the world. And-- and mostly that's enough, getting to occupy a corner of his life while the rest of it's all fire and steel and singing bowstrings."

"Mostly it's enough-- but-- but not always."

A couple of tears finally break free of Zatanna's eyes. She chuckles as she wipes them awy. "Damn hon, my mascara is going to run."

She burst out laughing at that, a quickfire broken laugh, nevertheless heartfelt. "Oh, God, I know, right? World of superheroes, sure they can invent masks that don't fall off when you're backflipping off of rooftops, but can they invent waterproof mascara that's not a complete pain in the ass?"

"Listen, just know he loves you and that he does what he does out of that love. And I would be glad to introduce you to my tailor. As long as I get to see the results."

Felicity scrunched her eyes together and put her hand near her mouth. "Oh-- oh, sister, slow your roll, that's-- you still owe me a bottle of wine and that's definitely a three-merlot-glass conversation." She hesitated. "Okay, maybe two."

Zatanna winks and chuckles as she stands up and moves to hug her friend. "Should we wake him? It's very easy, course, only you can. True love's kiss and all that."

Hugging back, long and warm, eyes closed, still sniffling a bit, Felicity then drew back. "You always were big on the classics." She gazed at Oliver quietly. "Maybe we should just let him rest. He looks so peaceful-- he never looks peaceful."

But then, obviously second-guessing herself, wanting to see his eyes open after so grievous an injury--

--and possibly double-checking her heterosexuality, nothing wrong with that--

--she leaned over him and kissed him long and deep, cradling his face as she did so.

He tasted like war and running and running.

He tasted still, still, like an island jungle and Hong Kong's corruption and the long climb to redemption.

And she whispered, against his mouth, as she kissed him. "I love you. Please wake up."

Last edited:
Venom

Without the suit, without the mask, he was as nondescript as the next guy in a jumpsuit. He met Artemis' mock salute with one of his own. He watched the children as they filed out of the boss and got herded deeper into the building by Guardian. There was a nervous twinge from the symbiote.

'What?'

That...Beetle...I...think that I know it...him

This astounded him

'What??'

Is that all word you know?

Back was that snarky confidence and John felt that the symbiote was trying hard to remember and needed silence to mull over the Beetle. He said nothing and followed the group, unconsciously staying close to Artemis. He knew she didn't like him, but after their battle she did seem to mellow a bit.

Her remark made him grin, "I'm pretty sure most of us here can do just that. I doubt that I can do that balloon thing though, come to think about it...I'd suck dealing with traumatized children. Saving them is one thing, dealing with feelings the complete opposite." He kept his voice low, making sure that Artemis heard him.

Oliver stirred. His eyes opening. He blinked the sun away. It was harsh. Not the direct glare of the tropics, but the bare baking stare from the eye of a mocking god, on a place he thought he had left a long time ago. What... had he been taken prisoner? How did they get him here? Not many people knew this place. Fewer had the capability of getting to it. He breathed in the air. Tasting the stale salty taste of the ocean, the fragrance of the jungle, and the musk of the earth so life giving that it provided a jungle on this hellscape. Oliver paused. Something... he couldn't place it... that was it. The smell. Scent is the strongest methods of triggering memory. And he had spent a long time smelling this place. He would never forget the bouquet of this island.

"I don't know who you are. Or what this is. It may look like Lian Yu, but I spent a large part of my life on that place. And this. This is not it. Virtual Reality projection? Actual attempt at physically replicating the place to put me off guard? Not going to work. And when I find you, and I will, I am going to make you vey sorry." Oliver took inventory of himself as he spoke. He was back in street clothes. His bow was gone. No weapons. Except himself. That's fine. That's the only weapon he would need.

"Mister Queen. Very impressive. I guess I missed the subtlety. They do say the devil is in the details." A tall blonde man strides from the bushes. He is dressed in a cloak pulled closed over himself and black boots. He smiles and nods as Oliver turns to face him. "You see Mister Queen, I brought you here not because I was trying to harm you. No no no... quite the opposite. Today you found that you came quite close to death. That pretty little wife of yours is currently weeping over you as we speak. But what if I could make sure you had more? All the time you wanted with your love, gifts beyond those of the mere mortal form you currently reside in... I could make you so much more."

Oliver looks over the man cautiously. "I have all the power I need."

"Do you? What happens next time when you don't survive? When you leave her all alone. Just like he left you. Oliver, you could be so much more. I could grant you powers to rival even those of the Manhunter. Guarentee you to live a long and happy life. Children. The family you secretly always wanted. I don't ask much."

"Who are you?" Oliver narrows his gaze.

"I am just a concerned party."

"Not an answer. Your name?"

The man ceases his smiling. There is a subtle hint of danger and malice that creeps into his eyes for just a moment. But long enough for Oliver to register.

"Very well Mister Queen. I am Neron." Neron forces the darkness to leave his eyes. Conjuring back the smile and the look of ease.

"So tell me Neron, who exactly are you? How could you offer what your claiming?"

"Mister Queen, I am a broker of deals. For just a small cost, I can offer all I claim and more. I could even bring her back. Sarah. For you."

Oliver stands straighter. He feel the goosebumps raise on the back of his neck. "She is long gone. No one can bring her back. Not even the lazurus pits have the power to bring someone so far gone back to this world."

"Lazarus pits... yes. Quite the... token. But my gifts are far greater. I am the archlord of the Seventh Seal. I can do anything I wish. Anything you ask. And all t costs is what you have already lost. Face facts Oliver. You know who I am. And you know that when your time comes we will meet again anyway. Too many stains on that soul of yours. How many lives do you owe? Too many. But I offer you happiness for the time you have left. In return for a concrete deal for what I will claim no matter what you do."

Oliver steels himself as Neron speaks. The devil. Right. Oliver had been through so much. He had died and been brought back. He had seen magic become real. He had seen super powered beings from this world and others become reality. He supposed he shouldn't be surprised that Hell and it's agents were just as real. He thought about the offer. Was Neron right? Could he ever redeem himself for the things he had done? Maybe not. Probably not.

Here's the thing... demon. If what you say is true, then I have nothing to lose. And so I would be an idiot to not take your offer. But there's one thing. If that were the case, why make the deal. What is in it for you? Seems that a demon wouldn't just give such gifts. So no, Neron, I won't take your deal. Because if there is one thing I have to believe, it is that hope is real. Hope for a better city. A better world. Hope that I can redeem myself for my actions. I made some tough choices in the past. I lost my way. I became the thing I tried to stop. But not again. Now I am a source of hope. A friend once told me that criminals needed something to fear. But he forgot to mention that the good people, they needed something to believe in. And that's what we created. The Justice Society may not be perfect. And my past may cost me in the end. But not today. My soul, whatever comes after, I'm just gonna have to face that."

Neron drops the friendly guise, rage filling his eyes, he flare his cloak back revealing his massive form beneath. Insolent! Arrogant! Foolish! You will suffer! And I will see to it that she suffers with you. All you love will crumble." Neron screams with rage. He raises a hand to strike at Oliver when there is a flash of green and white light.

"Enough!" A man stands between the two. His face and body covered by a cloak of green. He raises his eyes to meet Neron's, causing him to take a step back. "The choice was made. You have no further power here. Crawl back to hell where you belong."

"This is not your matter! How dare you!" Neron stands taller and steps back toward the newcomer.

Green flame erupts surrounding the newcomer,"I am the divine flame of God. I am the blade of Michael. You have no power over me demon! In the name of Michael the Archangel, and God Almighty you will flee from this place or I will rend you myself. Try me if you think I bluff. But remember what stands before you. I am The Spectre. The Holy Wrath. Choose your fate..."

Neron whips his cloak and in a burst of flame and smoke he is gone. Leaving Oliver standing with The Spectre. Oliver tenses slightly. Wishing he had is bow.

"No need Oliver Queen. I came to help. Not fight." The Spectre shifts forms. Becoming a man. Middle aged, tall and lean with dark hair and a beard. My name is Jim. I was once a man like you. Now... well I am more. But listen, I came because there is a storm coming. A new dawn for mankind in on the horizon. Threats both old and new will emerge. You and your friends were the beginning. Things are set in motion. A new age of Magick is coming. And with it, there will be other threats. Old foes that have long coveted this world will be making a pass. Because of what I am now, I am limited in what I can do. I cannot take a stand with you. But I can give you warning. It is time for you to go home. But be vigilant. There is a great battle coming. Now go. She waits for you."

Oliver didn't have time to respond. Suddenly all was black again. He could hear her. The voice of his soulmate. As he felt her lips on his he felt a warmth flow through his body. His eyes flutter open and she is there.

"For you anything" He pulls her back in, kissing her again. "I'm sorry. I was so focused on John and the kids that I let my guard down."

Last edited:
Barbara had handed out a couple of animals when she noticed Artemis. She smiled and walked over. "Hey. You don't remember me do you?" Barbara looked over the slightly younger girl. She didn't blame her. They had only crossed paths a few times at the academy. And not like she had ever taken off the cowl. When you have a minute we should have a chat. I know your busy. But I have some news. From home." Barbara winked before turning and heading back to the kids. She stopped half way back and turned again. "Your boyfriends cute."

Back