Oh, The Horror!

lovecraft68

Bad Doggie
Joined
Jul 13, 2009
Posts
42,028
Horror, in case people haven't noticed its an obsession of mine. Books, movies, comics, music, collectibles, mythology, the occult. If its macabre, I'm on it.

Seeing there's been a slew of movie threads, I've decided to create a thread for others like myself who love all things creepy.

Going to start off by something that blends two of my hobbies, comics and horror.

This is Eerie #1 from Avon 1947. This comic is acknowledged as the first horror comic ever produced. Rarer than rare, the Overstreet Price Guide doesn't even have a value assigned to the highest grades because no one has ever seen one.

A beat to hell copy of this book can still go for several thousand dollars. In all my time buying and selling I've only seen one at a show, in a solid 4.0 grade and it wasn't for sale, the bastard was just showing it off. I don't blame him, I would too.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • 2638427-eerie_comics_001_pagecover.jpg
    2638427-eerie_comics_001_pagecover.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
IN 1987 King Diamond(formerly of Merciful Fate) unleashed the first ever Horror themed album that from start to finish told a complete story. The story of Abigail La'fey.

This was a huge influence of mine to the point I created a rage driven witch named Abigail in honor of the album.

Several months ago King Diamond came to Boston and as part of his concert did this album in its entirety with an amazing stage show. I took my younger daughter with me. She's 23 and pretty much a female clone of me down to all things horror, it was an awesome night.

The title track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdJKLE58FUM
 
Last edited:
Me in 2006 getting the geek on with comic book horror legend Bernie Wrightson. Wrightson made his name in DC's House of Mystery comic series and was co-creator(with Len Wein) of Swamp Thing.

He's done far too many things to mention, but one of his biggest credits is doing the artwork for Stephen Kings Cycle of The Werewolf.

https://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Werewolf-Signet-Stephen-King/dp/0451822196

BTW I chose to leave the red eyes in the pic because they were fitting. Not just for obvious reasons, but because that was a Sunday morning and I'd gotten absolutely blasted the night before with some other dealers set up there and had the hang over from hell. Those nerds can drink, let me tell you...
 

Attachments

  • IM002280.jpg
    IM002280.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Can't talk Horror and comics without talking about Max Gaines E.C. Comics. Gaines is well known for creating Mad Magazine, but in the 1950's his horror comics were all the rage. Seen as cheesy and hokey these days of course, back in the day parents were terrified of their kids reading these things with the violent content and lurid covers.

The book seduction of the Innocent, written by a censoring fuck wit named Werthem led to the creation of the comics code, focused heavily on EC. Marvel(then atlas) and DC could have fought the code, but they realized it would put EC under and let it through

But decades later these books are a niche of their own and have been reprinted many times and most recall the HBO series where each episode was taken from a real story in one of the original books.

If anyone wants a little history.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/a...-in-the-1950s-thrive-60-years-later.html?_r=0

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • images.jpe
    images.jpe
    3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Gaines was clever. The code was against comics....not magazines. So in addition to converting Mad from a comic to a mag he brought back his EC horror crowd to launch the meg popular and very collectible Warren Horror Mags. Also the iconic host "Uncle Creepy"

Creepy

attachment.php


Eerie -note the B&W cover. This is a rare mag and one I own. Last offer I had on it wasn't even worth an eye roll.

attachment.php



and of course Vampirella which was porn to the boys of the seventies because it showed tits.:devil:

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • download.jpe
    download.jpe
    14.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 687893.jpg
    687893.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 0
  • download (1).jpe
    download (1).jpe
    14.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
alright, I'll play.

I was introduced to the Grimm Bother's version of fairy tales before the Disney re-writes, so seeing the very mixed reactions to the Grimm Fairy Tales comic series, makes me smile. Sure these comics are purposely designed for the horror genre, but the original tales weren't all about cute animals and prince charmings. After all, Cinderella's sisters cut off bits of their feet to make that glass slipper fit.
photos-tpb_grimmfairytales-wonderland_hol_2.jpg

Zenescope1.jpg


The idea behind the comics actually fits the themes of the original fairy tales very well in that the main character is using the tales to try to convince other characters in the comics to shape up, get their shit together, and change their lives for the better...or else.
 
speaking of Grimm, meet Violet Grimm.
1075093.jpg

girl power?

Dan Schaffer's comic debut, the comic series is basically an awesome b-rated horror film in print, but with more sass, more tits, and a lot more psychoses.
 
I have some old Vampirella comic books and old Ghost Rider( Johnny Blaze era) comic books. Of course, there are some Hellstorm comics in my collection somewhere.
 
alright, I'll play.

I was introduced to the Grimm Bother's version of fairy tales before the Disney re-writes, so seeing the very mixed reactions to the Grimm Fairy Tales comic series, makes me smile. Sure these comics are purposely designed for the horror genre, but the original tales weren't all about cute animals and prince charmings. After all, Cinderella's sisters cut off bits of their feet to make that glass slipper fit.
photos-tpb_grimmfairytales-wonderland_hol_2.jpg

Zenescope1.jpg


The idea behind the comics actually fits the themes of the original fairy tales very well in that the main character is using the tales to try to convince other characters in the comics to shape up, get their shit together, and change their lives for the better...or else.

That entire Zenoscope series was great. It was another series like Walking dead, that when it came out people were like, whatever, but I stashed away quite a few of the early issues.
 
one of my favorite songs ever... Mein Teil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBvwcH4XX6U

For those that don't speak German:
"Today I will meet a gentleman
He likes me so much he could eat me up
Soft parts and even hard ones
are on the menu

Because you are what you eat
and you know what it is

It is my part – no
My part – no
There that's my part – no
My part – no

The dull blade good and proper
I'm bleeding heavily and feeling sick
Although I have to fight to stay awake
I keep eating while in convulsions

It's just so well seasoned
and so nicely flambéed
and so lovingly served on porcelain
And with it, a good wine
and gentle candlelight
Yeah I'll take my time
You've got to have some culture

Because you are what you eat
and you know what it is

It is my part – no
My part – no
Because that's my part – no
Yes it's my part – no

A cry will ascend to heaven
It will cut through hosts of angels
Feather-flesh will shriekingly fall
from the top of the clouds onto my childhood"

The song is a satirical piece inspired by a newspaper article about Armin Meiwes, who Killed and ate a volunteer victim. Seriously, the 'victim' gave their permission to have this done to them. The members of Rammstein found that not only horrifying, but strangely beautiful and amusing as well.
 
I was introduced to the Grimm Bother's version of fairy tales before the Disney re-writes, so seeing the very mixed reactions to the Grimm Fairy Tales comic series, makes me smile.

Comics, horror, and... recent years remakes. Oh noes, she did not?!

No, she didn't. ;)



Thanks for starting this thread, LC68. My knowledge of classic horror comics is very minimal although not for lack of interest. But the huge amount of weekly other awesome [non-DC/Marvel] material coming out just doesn't help one, so I'm going to take any hint and guide threads like these offer and subscribe to this thread. 👌
 
Yesterday, Netflix sent us 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' to watch...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1374989/

Seeming how my mother is absolutely in love with the original story, I have been subject to viewing every version and remake of Pride and Prejudice, so I figured why not. I had zero hopes for this to be good, and yet I found it strangely enjoyable.
The plot stayed relatively similar to the original story; Darcy is a douche until the end, when it's revealed that Wickham is the king of douches, and there is the same massive sexual tension, proper elitist socialites, and a happily ever after...kinda.
The zombies themselves were complex, instead of mindless, and were integrated into the story on a level that actually kinda worked.
Still not awesome...but surprisingly decent.
 
Yesterday, Netflix sent us 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' to watch...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1374989/

The zombies themselves were complex, instead of mindless, and were integrated into the story on a level that actually kinda worked.
Still not awesome...but surprisingly decent.

Seth Grahame-Smith's book is an entertaining read. His 'Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter' is also miles better than the movie adaptation which followed.

Not top of the list to read but when you don't really know what to read next and wants something light and entertaining with a horror twist. A good... mashup.
 
Seth Grahame-Smith's book is an entertaining read. His 'Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter' is also miles better than the movie adaptation which followed.

Unfortunately, I did see that atrocious pile of rubbish :mad:
Hubby laughed his ass off through out it though, over how bad it was, so that's technically entertainment value...right? :rolleyes:
 
When it comes to zombies we all owe one George Romero. Night of the Living dead got the ball rolling, but my fav has always been dawn of the dead.

The remakes of each were good, but the originals I saw when I was a kid so they stayed with me more.

Saw this when I was 10 and it was creepy as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uiuVW3bhXw
 
It's hard to talk horror & rock without mentioning Ozzy & Black Sabbath, Venom, or Chuck & Death. Hell, even John Trady & Obituary. What about all the monster movies of the 50's?

Oh, don't crank me up on the creature double feature classics. :eek:
 
Back
Top