We Are Having A National Emergency!

Tuesday

February 19, 2019

The Great National Emergency of 2019 is now four days old

The Great 2019 Trump Loyalist Emergency of Mueller is still gestating

Trump is demanding $6.6 billion to be shifted to fund the wall from the Pentagon and Treasury Department."

Members of Congress who have military bases in their states want to know if that $3.6 billion the Pentagon has to cough up, is going to come from military construction projects—a third of the $10.3 billion appropriated for this fiscal year.

The Pentagon said it needed $116 billion, and got less than a tenth of that.

Now a third of it may be siphoned off.

Trump certainly didn't spend any time thinking about where his wall money is going to come from. As far as he's concerned, the entire federal treasury is a slush fund he gets to play with. If that means that troops and their families have to live in squalor, that's fine by him.

(Here! Have some paper towels, to mop up the wet spots from the hurricaines and floods.)

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...re-its-stealing-his-emergency-wall-money-from

Virginia Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine brings up concerns

Trump’s decision to take funds from the Pentagon’s construction budget comes amid an outcry over the decrepit living conditions that some military families endure on bases. A recent survey found instances of black mold, lead and vermin infestations in privatized military housing, which lawmakers described in a hearing this week as shocking and infuriating.

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.), a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, sent a letter to Shanahan on Friday noting that the Pentagon recently said the military had a maintenance backlog of more than $116 billion, with 23 percent of the department’s facilities in poor condition and 9 percent in failing condition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...e9-ac6c-14eea99d5e24_story.html?noredirect=on

Perhaps you think the tariffs are random? I don't hear any (genuine) solutions from the Left. AOC and Kamala don't count, they're both just morons.

If you have better ideas then say something, or run for office. Assuming you're an American and not one of the European or Australian hackers that are trying to subvert our political system.

My grandfather fought in the trenches during WWI, my father and his brother served aboard destroyers during WWII and I volunteered for gunboat duty during Vietnam so I think that makes me an American citizen.

I would not want to be President but rather Dictator in order to save over $565 million plus a year by getting rid of the do nothing Congress. I would repair or replace the 8,000 plus bridges that are in disrepair. I would legalize Pot. I would ban the manufacture, sale, and ownership of any assault rifles and their knock offs. I would restrict ownership of any rifle that had a clip or magazine holding more than 5 shells. I would restrict ownership of all hand guns that had a clip that held more than 7-8 shells. I would put Russia on notice that if they buzzed our planes or ships or flew into our air space we would shoot these planes down.

My grandfather fought in the trenches during WWI, my father and his brother served aboard destroyers during WWII and I volunteered for gunboat duty during Vietnam so I think that makes me an American citizen.

I would not want to be President but rather Dictator in order to save over $565 million plus a year by getting rid of the do nothing Congress. I would repair or replace the 8,000 plus bridges that are in disrepair. I would legalize Pot. I would ban the manufacture, sale, and ownership of any assault rifles and their knock offs. I would restrict ownership of any rifle that had a clip or magazine holding more than 5 shells. I would restrict ownership of all hand guns that had a clip that held more than 7-8 shells. I would put Russia on notice that if they buzzed our planes or ships or flew into our air space we would shoot these planes down.

Thank you for your service. I only mentioned the American part because most of the haters in this forum appear to be from other countries. They all have "solutions" for us. Oddly, not one of them identifies as Russian. Mostly Euro with the odd Australian or Canadian.

I can't support your position on gun control. I don't quite get the attraction but 2A could not be more clear. The roads and bridges are the responsibility of the states, not the Fed. Term limits, sunset clauses and personal accountability would fix most of the problems with Congress. Abolishing them outright seems a lot. The weed and protecting our people I'm all for.

Last edited:

While I really don't want a dictator, I do agree that congress is a total sham. It just doesn't work.

What I envision as a better form of government would be more of a corporate chain of command. One man at the top who can make an informed decision and take responsibility for it, 7 vice pres. under him representing 7 regions of the country, a governor for each state and county commissioner/mayor at local level. That's all.

The people would vote for local government only. CC/Mayor would select from among themselves the state governor, governors wold select from among themselves the VP and the VPs would select a pres. No term limits, but ANYONE can be fired by consensus of the next higher tier. ALL officials are subject to vote of confidence by the people. Lose that vote by 55%, you're out.

But trying to accomplish ANYTHING by a committee of 535 is a waste of time.

Ultimate National Emergency

Is the 8,000 plus bridges that are in need of repair or replacement. If these bridges are not repaired or replaced then merchandise and fule destined for the consumer will cost more or become unavailable in certain areas of the nation. Unfortunately Dumpty Trumpty thinks the wall which can and is currently being scaled and tunneled under is an emergency.

Is the 8,000 plus bridges that are in need of repair or replacement. If these bridges are not repaired or replaced then merchandise and fule destined for the consumer will cost more or become unavailable in certain areas of the nation. Unfortunately Dumpty Trumpty thinks the wall which can and is currently being scaled and tunneled under is an emergency.

Or the residents of the states with infrastructure issues could lean on their leadership to live up to their oaths and handle the problems. Just a thought.

Or the residents of the states with infrastructure issues could lean on their leadership to live up to their oaths and handle the problems. Just a thought.

Just out of curiosity, is there any state that doesn't have some infrastructure issues: dams, bridges, highways, military housing, etc.?

The Trump National Emergency!
Wednesday February 19, 2019

Scientist who resisted censorship of climate report lost her job

Feb 17, 2019

Caffrey said she asked her supervisor at the park service, “Is this because of the climate change stuff?” She said he told her, “I don’t want to answer that.” Park service officials did not respond to questions from Reveal about why Caffrey wasn’t rehired.

In a January episode of Reveal, Caffrey spoke about the pressure she experienced during the editing of the parks report. She said supervisors at the park service yelled at her and threatened to kill the report or remove her name if she would not agree to the changes. Some told her they could lose their jobs or be transferred if she didn’t capitulate.

Reveal obtained 18 drafts of the report. In one draft, a park service official crossed out five uses of the word “anthropogenic,” the term for people’s impact on nature, along with three references to “human activities” causing climate change. Trump questions that humans are causing climate change, but climate scientists around the globe have concluded that greenhouse gases from human activities are causing the planet to warm.

'If these were normal times, she would continue to make valuable contributions within the park service and for the future of our globe,” said William Manley, a University of Colorado research scientist who worked with Caffrey on her sea level research for the park service. “We should all be grateful for her efforts.”

https://grist.org/article/scientist-who-resisted-censorship-of-climate-report-lost-her-job/

Just out of curiosity, is there any state that doesn't have some infrastructure issues: dams, bridges, highways, military housing, etc.?

No idea.

I do know the Tappen Zee bridge was recently replaced. The TZ was basically the poster child for crumbling Bridges

So the fact that all states ignore the issue makes it ok? What if all parents beat their kids?

Thursday

February 21, 2019

Gaggle of Governors

Dinner with tRump ?

Comey was offered dinner.

He made a big mistake.

Lunch with Mike Pence ?

Gov. Janet Mills is attending the annual (Winter) meeting of the National Governors Association in Washington, D.C., starting Thursday, including a Sunday dinner hosted by President Trump. Mills also will attend a luncheon hosted by Vice President Mike Pence, a former governor of Indiana.

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/02...eeting-of-the-national-governors-association/

Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo will co-host a press
conference in Washington, D.C., this Saturday

It won’t all be monotonous Medicaid reimbursement panel discussions when Governor Charlie Baker travels to Washington D.C. this week. Baker will also headline a fundraiser for his reelection campaign, fetching up to $5,000 per person, on Friday morning.

Paid for by the Massachusetts Republican Party, according to an invitation obtained by the Globe, the fundraiser comes in the middle of Baker’s trip to the capital for the National Governors Association’s winter meeting.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ection-trip/hztjUpSGGASbaSDJ2SfURP/story.html

bleh

John M. Donnelly Verified Account
@johnmdonnelly

BREAKING: More than a third of the federal $ @realDonaldTrump wants to redirect to build a #BorderWall is not available. It’s been spent. Congress—including Dems—would have to approve making new $ available. That’s not happening. Time for a Plan B.

4:31 PM - 21 Feb 2019

John M. Donnelly Verified Account
@johnmdonnelly

BREAKING: More than a third of the federal $ @realDonaldTrump wants to redirect to build a #BorderWall is not available. It’s been spent. Congress—including Dems—would have to approve making new $ available. That’s not happening. Time for a Plan B.

4:31 PM - 21 Feb 2019

Let's keep with "Throw the bastard out" Plan A.

"Trump National Emergency 2019"

tRump needs billions!

Trump’s end run on defense spending

The gimmick is especially striking given that Trump budget chief Mick Mulvaney once fought to limit the very same war account.

02/24/2019

President Donald Trump is preparing to ask Congress for yet another increase in defense spending in the coming weeks. But his plan would evade federal budget limits by stashing nearly a quarter of that money in an off-the-books account —

and both Democrats and Republicans say it won’t fly in Congress.

The White House plans to stuff as much as $174 billion of its $750 billion request for national defense for the coming fiscal year into a special war fund, according to reports, allowing the administration to maintain its long-sought military buildup without violating a 2011 law aimed at reining in the deficit.

Lawmakers in both parties object to relying so heavily on what budget hawks have long derided as a Pentagon slush fund.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/24/trump-defense-congress-pentagon-funding-1188540

September 30, 2015

Republicans have voiced support for lifting sequester caps as well. But while Democrats have focused their attention on lifting them for more spending, most Republicans are interested in boosting the defense budget."We have to," said Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee. "The outgoing chief of staff of the United States Army said that we can no longer defend the nation adequately. That should be sufficient to most members of Congress."Hawkish Republicans who oppose increasing domestic spending could balk at easing sequestration, knowing that they can boost the Pentagon's budget by circumventing the mandatory spending caps.Republicans did just that over the summer when they added $38 billion in a defense bill by directing it to the so-called Overseas Contingency Operations account, or OCO, a fund that pays for counterterrorism activities in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and elsewhere.

Rep. Mick Mulvaney, R-S.C., suggested that some Republicans could challenge the legitimacy of a budget deal brokered by a lame-duck Boehner.

"The man just quit. I'm not sure how much weight he continues to carry in the body," Mulvaney, a member of the conservative House Freedom Caucus, told The Hill, a Capitol Hill publication. "Right now, he's the least accountable that he's ever been to anybody. And I don't think it would be fair to take advantage of that circumstance to pass stuff that he wouldn't have passed before his resignation."

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-84563572/

February 25, 2019

House prepares to vote on overturning Trump’s emergency declaration

Congress has never before sought to cancel a national emergency declared by the president since passage of the National Emergencies Act in 1976.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D), was in the Capitol on Monday for meetings on the emergency declaration and other issues. Newsom told reporters that there is no border emergency and declared the whole situation “theater of the absurd.”

“This is pure politics, base politics, and everybody knows it,” he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...3657f2-3918-11e9-b10b-f05a22e75865_story.html

As Kim Jong Un arrives in Vietnam, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov just happens to be in Hanoi at the same time as the DPRK-USA summit.

:rolleyes:

As Kim Jong Un arrives in Vietnam, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov just happens to be in Hanoi at the same time as the DPRK-USA summit.

:rolleyes:
I suppose Duterte will show up, with refreshments.

Tigersman writes: "Is the 8,000 plus bridges that are in need of repair or replacement. If these bridges are not repaired or replaced then merchandise and fule destined for the consumer will cost more or become unavailable in certain areas of the nation. Unfortunately Dumpty Trumpty thinks the wall which can and is currently being scaled and tunneled under is an emergency."

Senator Obama said pretty-much EXACT SAME THING on the 2008 campaign trail, and then he & his Democratic Party-controlled House & Senate allocated a multi-billion-dollar taxpayer-funded package of "shovel-ready jobs" to rebuild America's infrastructure and boost employment numbers. Sadly, it did none of that. Most of that money found its way into union pension funds, while I remember $500-million going to Solyndra (a green-energy corporation that soon after declared bankruptcy).

We already know that a border wall WORKS in those areas where illegal migration was drastically curtailed after portions of the wall were constructed. We also know that building the border wall will employ thousands of American workers doing something more meaningful than our previous president's "shovel-ready jobs" package that never panned out. Even Obama admitted as much.

Yes, the wall can be tunelled under, just as prison walls have been occasionally breached in the past, with escapees running free for brief periods of time. Did we give up on prison-walls after those incidents? Did liberals argue that prison-walls don't work? Certainly NOT! Of course they work, and liberals all know this! They only oppose construction of the border wall because the Democratic Party continues to benefit from illegals voting in our elections. It's why the state of California has actually allowed illegals to get valid drivers' licenses. It's why Democrats vehemently oppose any-and-all voter photo-ID laws!

Tigersman writes: "Is the 8,000 plus bridges that are in need of repair or replacement. If these bridges are not repaired or replaced then merchandise and fule destined for the consumer will cost more or become unavailable in certain areas of the nation. Unfortunately Dumpty Trumpty thinks the wall which can and is currently being scaled and tunneled under is an emergency."

Senator Obama said pretty-much EXACT SAME THING on the 2008 campaign trail, and then he & his Democratic Party-controlled House & Senate allocated a multi-billion-dollar taxpayer-funded package of "shovel-ready jobs" to rebuild America's infrastructure and boost employment numbers. Sadly, it did none of that. Most of that money found its way into union pension funds, while I remember $500-million going to Solyndra (a green-energy corporation that soon after declared bankruptcy).

We already know that a border wall WORKS in those areas where illegal migration was drastically curtailed after portions of the wall were constructed. We also know that building the border wall will employ thousands of American workers doing something more meaningful than our previous president's "shovel-ready jobs" package that never panned out. Even Obama admitted as much.

Yes, the wall can be tunelled under, just as prison walls have been occasionally breached in the past, with escapees running free for brief periods of time. Did we give up on prison-walls after those incidents? Did liberals argue that prison-walls don't work? Certainly NOT! Of course they work, and liberals all know this! They only oppose construction of the border wall because the Democratic Party continues to benefit from illegals voting in our elections. It's why the state of California has actually allowed illegals to get valid drivers' licenses. It's why Democrats vehemently oppose any-and-all voter photo-ID laws!

As a proof of concept, we should build a wall, made of the best concrete and steel, say, 50 feet high and enclosing a space of say, one section (640 acres). We'll put some food and water in the middle and then drop in all the members of Congress.

If they cooperate, they'll all (obviously) be out by the end of the day. I predict, however, that they'll all starve inside.

Either way, we'll have some hard data on how well walls work.

As soon as members of the lower chamber vote on the legislation, the measure would then go to the Republican-controlled Senate, who are required by law to put the measure to a vote within 18 days. If all 47 Democrats in the Senate support the legislation, they would still need four Republican votes in order for the resolution to pass the Senate. The vote needs a simple majority (51 votes). As of this writing, three Republicans — Tillis, Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska — have said they would join Democrats in opposing the declaration. Notably, additional Republicans have spoken out against Trump's decision to declare a national emergency, as well.

If both chambers pass the joint resolution, it would require the the president's signature. Trump will not sign a bill that overturns his own declaration, and he is poised to issue the first veto of his presidency. To override the president's veto, two-thirds of both chambers of Congress would have to pass the joint resolution with a veto-proof majority. That means more than 53 Republicans in the House would need to join the Democrats to reach 288 votes. In the Senate, 20 Republican lawmakers would need to join the Democrats to reach the 67 threshold. It is unlikely that there are enough supporters in Congress to override the president's veto.

58 former senior national security officials, both Republicans and Democrats, including former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, spoke out against Trump's national emergency declaration in a letter published Monday. The bipartisan group of former government officials wrote "there is no factual basis" to support the president's national emergency declaration on the country's southern border.

https://www.salon.com/2019/02/26/re...donald-trumps-national-emergency-declaration/

Back