How to control my weight

Haha... Besides dinosaurs and health care, the main reason that people didn't live very long back in the day was because of water that wasn't purified. Water purification was the biggest reason for the extension of human life.

Haha... Besides dinosaurs and health care, the main reason that people didn't live very long back in the day was because of water that wasn't purified. Water purification was the biggest reason for the extension of human life.

Yeah, for some reason using the same pond as a bathroom and as water supply didn't work... go figure! :D

It is a big lifestyle adaptation and paradigm shift as to how one approaches food and exercise, but I highly recommend The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. Basically it is paleo diet involving high protein and vegetable diet...removing as much grains/carbs/sugars as much as possible. Similar to Atkins...but more or less focusing on what early humans ate...with extreme focus on proven area in what things do to our bodies when we ingest them. Basically it claims the the Standard American Diet is wrong...and all of the corn based vegetarian products and grains are putting us in a constant state of inflammation...that like early humans, we need lots of non-GMO vegetables and organic meats (with fat!) I highly recommend.

I second all of this, and also want to emphasize that I hardly ever use weight as an indicator of my health, because how can it be? A simple weight does not take my body composition into account. If that composition is shifting around because you're losing fat and gaining muscle and you use weight as your sole indicator of progress, you may feel emotionally whipped-around, because as fire_breeze says, as women, our weight fluctuates quite a bit. Personally, I go by how my clothes fit and how I feel.

I could feel your fear in your past posts about this, but that last sentence in your most recent post really shows a certain desperation (and I hope you understand how I mean that, and that I am in no way judging you or your fear) not to be where you were before. But you know you can lose weight, as stated above. To me, losing weight is not the key to health.

It can be a piece of it, but I think as women, we are taught that so much of our value rests in what we look like, and in being smaller, taking up less space in the world--rarely are we encouraged to change our lifestyles for the sake of health, but rather for aesthetic reasons. Look at the covers of magazines around this time of year (really any time of year, but esp. now since "bathing suit season" is approaching), and you will see that they all resonate with the idea of looking better to satisfy the male gaze. I think we need to see ourselves on our own terms, and that can be hard, with almost nothing else in culture pointing to that, and with such long-standing habits of judging ourselves by someone else's standards. Habits, especially mental ones, that you don't even recognize are the hardest to break.

I hope you can let go of some of that control and just let yourself be, and see yourself through your own eyes. I hope all of it will be enjoyable rather than stressful. :heart:

(((HUGS))) to Firebreeze and Tomahawk! The trainer I talked to recommended more calories and cutting back on the amount of exercise. I'm going to stay at the 2,200/day and alternate running and Jazzercise everyday, 6 days a week. I love running on the road, when I hit four miles the endorphins kick in and the last mile feels soooooo good.

Sir took some pictures of me this weekend and when I saw them I was a little taken aback, my hips are very bony and my butt is skinny and flat. But, I do like the looks of my vulva. Rather than being a pink crease between my legs my beautiful flower is open and glistening. I also ran into an old friend of mine at Easter service. She was a model when she was younger, a few years, when I met her she got sick and gained lots of weight. When she was better she started losing weight. She passed through a phase where I would say she had the body and beauty that any woman would want. Now she is very skinny and she looks like me, no butt or hips and small boobs.

I realize I may be obsessing a bit, but the bottom line is that I am happier and I feel better physically and emotionally underweight than overweight. Sir is right, I have replaced alcohol with exercise. But I'm also putting more into my relationship with my children and him. This is very hard, but I realize I have an addictive personality and am working on getting better. :kiss:

There are worse things to be addicted to.

It sounds like you're on the right track. I would make one suggestion regarding the weights.

Instead of focusing strictly on chest exercises with the idea of firming the area, add some shoulder and upper back exercises too. The net effect will be to improve your posture and draw your shoulders up and back, balancing the strong chest muscles which will actually draw your shoulder girdle forward and down into a slouch.

Also in terms of diet, eat immediately after exercise, at least a few hundred calories. That helps jump start recovery, replaces sugars in your muscles and liver, and helps prevent your body from consuming muscle mass during the recovery period.

Good luck.

J

(((HUGS))) to Firebreeze and Tomahawk! The trainer I talked to recommended more calories and cutting back on the amount of exercise. I'm going to stay at the 2,200/day and alternate running and Jazzercise everyday, 6 days a week. I love running on the road, when I hit four miles the endorphins kick in and the last mile feels soooooo good.

Sir took some pictures of me this weekend and when I saw them I was a little taken aback, my hips are very bony and my butt is skinny and flat. But, I do like the looks of my vulva. Rather than being a pink crease between my legs my beautiful flower is open and glistening. I also ran into an old friend of mine at Easter service. She was a model when she was younger, a few years, when I met her she got sick and gained lots of weight. When she was better she started losing weight. She passed through a phase where I would say she had the body and beauty that any woman would want. Now she is very skinny and she looks like me, no butt or hips and small boobs.

I realize I may be obsessing a bit, but the bottom line is that I am happier and I feel better physically and emotionally underweight than overweight. Sir is right, I have replaced alcohol with exercise. But I'm also putting more into my relationship with my children and him. This is very hard, but I realize I have an addictive personality and am working on getting better. :kiss:

There are worse things to be addicted to.

It sounds like you're on the right track. I would make one suggestion regarding the weights.

Instead of focusing strictly on chest exercises with the idea of firming the area, add some shoulder and upper back exercises too. The net effect will be to improve your posture and draw your shoulders up and back, balancing the strong chest muscles which will actually draw your shoulder girdle forward and down into a slouch.

Also in terms of diet, eat immediately after exercise, at least a few hundred calories. That helps jump start recovery, replaces sugars in your muscles and liver, and helps prevent your body from consuming muscle mass during the recovery period.

Good luck.

J

Thanks Jamie, that sound like good advice. My fear with weight training is that I will end up with big muscles. At this stage in my life, I want to look like a woman. Big, strong arms look great on Michelle Obama, but I want a more feminine look. I do however want to make my small boobs as "perky" as possible. :kiss:

Thanks Jamie, that sound like good advice. My fear with weight training is that I will end up with big muscles. At this stage in my life, I want to look like a woman. Big, strong arms look great on Michelle Obama, but I want a more feminine look. I do however want to make my small boobs as "perky" as possible. :kiss:

Breast tissue is comprised of fat and milk ducts, held in place by cooper's ligaments; there are no exercises that will add volume or lift/perk up tissue due to ligament damage or tissue loss [from weight loss, pregnancy, age, breastfeeding, etc]. The only way to repair damage is through surgery (lift and/or augmentation). A less invasive solution is properly fitted lingerie.

If you talk to your trainer, he (or she) will probably also explain to you that specific weight training exercises will help you protect bone density and develop strength, without "bulking up" or looking unfeminine.

I hear this a lot from clients and others. Women really don't need to worry about gaining mass as a general rule. It takes a lot of training to do anything more more than shape and tone.

J

Women don't build muscle like men. Unless you are taking steroids, you are not going to get big. You will more likely get to toned. As for the tits, there isn't much you can do about that. I'll tell you this, I would rather have a toned woman with small tits, than a fat woman with big tits.

:rose: Hugs back, girl.

That is very good news! Best of luck - and when you do gain muscle, do it slowly, like you would losing weight. Your goal is to look healthy - too thin and too much exercise can be very unhealthy (in fact, it can elevate your risk for heart disease, according to research here and here). And recognising that you've replaced alcohol with exercise may also help you control your addiction.

You're on way. You should feel so proud of yourself :rose:

The likelihood of you bulking up is minimal. You need to train, seriously, for hours on end. Yes, some women are predisposed to having very defined muscles. But you shouldn't fear that you'll get big, bulky muscles - we just don't have enough testosterones for that - and again, you'll have to spend considerable amount of time working out.

I work in a sports centre (though not doing anything impressive or knowledgeable) and did sports science but have a feeling you loose water weight first week, then fat slowly over a few months, but muscle won't be put on through cardio stuff (like it sounds you do) until much later and then barely at all. Maybe you are in that gap phase?

You've lost the weight but not 'toned'?

Eat normal, exercise normal, but do just a little resistance stuff to work where-ever you feel you need to 'tighten'. Muscle weighs much more than fat so you could put on 10 pounds of muscle but not look any different clothed or go up a size in any area. I swim lots as it's a mix of cardio with just a little resistance and also all round work out body wise but also because I find gyms so boring :p Sauna/SteamRoom/Jacuzzi much more me!!!

Aqua-fitness classes are often aimed at older people but we have a guy does one aimed at younger and it's the class a couple of the fit rugby guys come to :D so I have been known to cover it when he's on holiday :cool: Would think if you like Jazzasize (think know what that is) you might like the water based classes to music. Shop around though and try different ones as from my course I know so many instructors come from different backgrounds like I do more stretches and yoga/pilates toning than most when I cover them but they seem to love it as different to the usual intense younger class. I come from a dancing and swimming background though not like 'exercise classes'...... the classes aimed at retired people they just seem to natter/gossip not exercise but I might be being harsh xx

I work in a sports centre (though not doing anything impressive or knowledgeable) and did sports science but have a feeling you loose water weight first week, then fat slowly over a few months, but muscle won't be put on through cardio stuff (like it sounds you do) until much later and then barely at all. Maybe you are in that gap phase?

You've lost the weight but not 'toned'?

Eat normal, exercise normal, but do just a little resistance stuff to work where-ever you feel you need to 'tighten'. Muscle weighs much more than fat so you could put on 10 pounds of muscle but not look any different clothed or go up a size in any area. I swim lots as it's a mix of cardio with just a little resistance and also all round work out body wise but also because I find gyms so boring :p Sauna/SteamRoom/Jacuzzi much more me!!!

Aqua-fitness classes are often aimed at older people but we have a guy does one aimed at younger and it's the class a couple of the fit rugby guys come to :D so I have been known to cover it when he's on holiday :cool: Would think if you like Jazzasize (think know what that is) you might like the water based classes to music. Shop around though and try different ones as from my course I know so many instructors come from different backgrounds like I do more stretches and yoga/pilates toning than most when I cover them but they seem to love it as different to the usual intense younger class. I come from a dancing and swimming background though not like 'exercise classes'...... the classes aimed at retired people they just seem to natter/gossip not exercise but I might be being harsh xx

Thanks for the reassurances everybody that I won't turn into a hulk from weight lifting. To answer your question Tilda, overall, I'm pleased, my legs look super hot, my arms are nice, toned but not muscular, my tummy is soft but flat and trim. My facial features have sharpened and I like the fact that I have a chin again and my cheekbones can be seen. The bad part is my bony hips, flat butt and my pride and joys that are a mere shadow of their former selves :(.

I have heard that building up chest muscles, while my boobs will still be saggy, may make them slightly more pronounced. I also thought about doing squats to give my butt some shape, what do you think? :kiss:

PS: Jazzercise isn't as lame as it sounds, it's a great bunch of women
http://www.jazzercise.com/

Thanks for the reassurances everybody that I won't turn into a hulk from weight lifting. To answer your question Tilda, overall, I'm pleased, my legs look super hot, my arms are nice, toned but not muscular, my tummy is soft but flat and trim. My facial features have sharpened and I like the fact that I have a chin again and my cheekbones can be seen. The bad part is my bony hips, flat butt and my pride and joys that are a mere shadow of their former selves :(.

I have heard that building up chest muscles, while my boobs will still be saggy, may make them slightly more pronounced. I also thought about doing squats to give my butt some shape, what do you think? :kiss:

PS: Jazzercise isn't as lame as it sounds, it's a great bunch of women
http://www.jazzercise.com/

I'm a bit late to this party, but squatting is a good way to build up the legs and butt. Deadlifts and weights are also good too. I've seen the 30 day squat challenge doing the rounds recently, why not give it a try?

tumblr_ml4by5uu4B1qzigs7o1_500.png

Its important to have a well rounded exercise program - one that builds muscle as well as stamina, and one that changes constantly. Doing the same thing all the time will condition your body to that exercise, and it will start to have less and less of an effect, which is why people take rest periods, or switch up what they're doing in the gym.

Good luck :)

I'm a bit late to this party, but squatting is a good way to build up the legs and butt. Deadlifts and weights are also good too. I've seen the 30 day squat challenge doing the rounds recently, why not give it a try?

tumblr_ml4by5uu4B1qzigs7o1_500.png

Its important to have a well rounded exercise program - one that builds muscle as well as stamina, and one that changes constantly. Doing the same thing all the time will condition your body to that exercise, and it will start to have less and less of an effect, which is why people take rest periods, or switch up what they're doing in the gym.

Good luck :)

WOW :eek:, my butt is so flat and so bony compared to hers :(. I'm guessing she has a higher/healthier BMI than I do, but still, what I wouldn't give to have a derriere like that. Right now, I'm in a holding pattern. My weight is stable and I'm holding steady with the caloric intake and exercise levels steady. Sir wants me to put on a few (5-7) pounds, but he is willing to let me do it at my own pace. I just have to accept that it's OK to let the scale ascend some. Then I'll be able to eat a few more calories and do some weights. On the bright side, Sir likes to take pictures of me and I have noticed yesterday that the downward angle of my nipples has moved up a bit when comparing yesterdays pictures from a month ago :D. Maybe my push-ups have been helping ;). :heart::kiss::heart:

Weight training is awesome. (Love running too, but only outdoors; feels like it burns up stress.) There is a huge difference in how your body feels (and looks) when you have actual muscle. If you're doing it right, you'll put on weight because muscle weighs more than fat. And you have to eat enough to build the muscle.

I don't do the IF because I get clumsy when I train fasted, but I still use this to figure out my calories/macros: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

(I'm also vegetarian. No chicken or fish. Eggs are my friend, and soy and whey powder.)

If you want to see what lifting heavy does to a woman's body, this is a good example:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

If you want to look "toned" the only way to do that is have less fat and more muscle. And the easiest way to do that is lift. Stay away from the barbie weights (you know, the pink dumbbells) and look at something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

It's a good idea to work with a trainer a few times to make sure you've got good form and aren't going to hurt yourself. There are minor differences in form, like sumo squats being slightly more comfortable for women because of the wider stance/wider hips, and depending on how heavy the lift, grip strength can be an issue (mixed grip can be your friend) but there's no reason to steer women toward high rep/low weight cardio style workouts; avoid that, you're already doing mad cardio. If your trainer tries to talk you into it, fire them. It's important to have a trainer that isn't a fucking sexist.

it's easy to over do it. Definitely keep lifting...do lots of squats and deadlifts (so you can keep that booty up :). Make sure you're getting plenty of sleep and having your after workout shake with whey and fruit. Make sure you aren't under eating for your weight and activity level.

Last edited:
Also, try putting away the scale and using the mirror and how your clothes fit. Once you're in a healthy weight range, the scale is pretty useless. It only tells you what you weigh, not your body composition.

Also, try putting away the scale and using the mirror and how your clothes fit. Once you're in a healthy weight range, the scale is pretty useless. It only tells you what you weigh, not your body composition.

I know you're right about the scale, but it's sitting there every morning, calling my name. I am very consistent +/- 1 pound daily, except when Aunt Flow visits, then I go up some, but that's not a problem. I also want to make sure I'm not losing any weight, I really can't afford to. :cattail:

Tomahawk26 said:
I think there were other factors in play outside of diet. You know, like the lack of even the most basic health care, and dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs.

facepalm

I'm sorry. I know this is a tangent but fuck.

How is it possible that great swathes of an advanced super-power like the US can still be so wilfully ignorant and wilfully pass that ignorance onto their kids?

In an age of mid blowing tech kids are being hamstrung in sciences because their parents choose to believe the unmitigated bullshit in a 2000 year old fairytale.

I'm sorry but it's fucking insane and nothing short of criminal.

Dinosaurs.

facepalm

I'm sorry. I know this is a tangent but fuck.

How is it possible that great swathes of an advanced super-power like the US can still be so wilfully ignorant and wilfully pass that ignorance onto their kids?

In an age of mid blowing tech kids are being hamstrung in sciences because their parents choose to believe the unmitigated bullshit in a 2000 year old fairytale.

I'm sorry but it's fucking insane and nothing short of criminal.
I thought it was a joke. Okay, maybe I was hoping it was a joke. :eek:

Yeah, I guess it could have been a joke.

I also guess that I was projecting somewhat. :eek:

best way to lose weight since this is my job. is counting calories and working out.

you eat it you better work it out. to make sure you are getting your heart rate into fat burning rate get a heart rate monitor it will also tell you how many calories you are burning.

another thing dont listen to the BMI charts they lie. I tell me i am obese, at 5 feet 9 inches and 170-180lbs. go by what you feel is right.

DO WEIGHTS TO HELP KEEP YOUR SKIN TIGHT.

Back