Bashing Authors

Bebop3

Really Experienced
Have you ever had a problem with people bashing other writers in the comments on your stories?

It's happened to me twice and it was surprising to me both times. The first time it was removed by an Admin (or whoever has the powers behind the scenes to do that) without my knowledge. I noticed it, thought about what I should do about it and when I went back it was gone.

The second time was this morning and it was much more egregious. No context, just straight up slamming the person. I'd prefer not to delete any posts but I removed that one.

In general, trolls don't bother me. If you want to slam me or the story or anything I'm in control of, I feel that you paid your dues by reading the story and actually taking the time to comment. Go crazy. But now I have to consider things that weren't even on my radar, like going after other authors, slamming other posters, gratuitous comments not related to the story in the least, etc.

I'm not sure if I have a question here, it was just odd.

That's a new one to me. I have had people try and advertise other authors on my stories "If you like this check out so and so" when those are anon I tend to wonder if its the author themselves.

I've also had the...If you want a story that's actually well written, try so and so.

Never had one bashing another author though. Unless you consider a general "all you incest authors are...."

I have not seen that. It really seems out of bounds to me.

Never seen it.

If someone left a comment disparaging another author on one of my stories, I'd forward it on to Laurel (so she can see if it's a repeated habit and maybe block the commenter - but I'm guessing Anon) and then I'd delete it.

Have you ever had a problem with people bashing other writers in the comments on your stories?

It's happened to me twice and it was surprising to me both times. The first time it was removed by an Admin (or whoever has the powers behind the scenes to do that) without my knowledge. I noticed it, thought about what I should do about it and when I went back it was gone.

The second time was this morning and it was much more egregious. No context, just straight up slamming the person. I'd prefer not to delete any posts but I removed that one.

Weird. Never happened to me. My first guess would be that they've been prevented from commenting on their target's stories, either by moderation or switching off comments altogether, so they're trying to continue the "argument" where they can.

My general philosophy on comment moderation for my stories is that the comments section is for discussing the story. If somebody wants to write "this story sucks and is boring", I'll leave that up, but it's not a soapbox for everything they might want to share with the public - for that, they can either submit something to Reviews & Essays, or get their own blog.

I also reserve the right to remove racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia even if it is related to the story, because I write for my enjoyment and that of my readers, and that kind of crap is not conducive to anybody's enjoyment. (Or at least, not for anybody that I care to cater to.)

In practice, I've been fortunate with comments. I think the only time I've deleted a comment was one of my own, when I realised I'd inadvertently broken a site rule on self-promotion. But those are my ground rules if it ever does become relevant.

No, not bashing other authors.

I had a guy correct something I said in one of my stories along the lines of...there is no such thing as blah blah. Didn't bash me. I was just surprised.

I'm an amateur dude writing real stuff. :)

Last edited:
Back