Getting randomized

romancer

Afficianado
I've been an occasional author for years, consistently get >4 ratings, but have never seen any of my submissions come up in the Random section (that follows recent submissions) of any topic listing. Is there a code to crack to get into the rotation?

-romancer

I've never noticed my stuff there either and I've published pretty consistently here for five years...

I have no idea how it works.

Presumably it's machine-generated random, but a word to the wise: don't piss off the site editor, because then your appearance there (and anywhere in the upper half of the daily listings) will stop real fast.

Presumably it's machine-generated random, but a word to the wise: don't piss off the site editor, because then your appearance there (and anywhere in the upper half of the daily listings) will stop real fast.

Yeah, just ask Freddie-and all his alts

I've been an occasional author for years, consistently get >4 ratings, but have never seen any of my submissions come up in the Random section (that follows recent submissions) of any topic listing. Is there a code to crack to get into the rotation?

-romancer

Post in a category that only has a small number of stories, maybe?

If it truly is randomised (and I have no reason to believe that it isn't) just remember that the 'pool' is sometimes quite extensive. Erotic Couplings is currently showing in excess of 44,000 stories; and even Romance is showing almost 12,000. We're talking lottery odds here. :)

If it truly is randomised (and I have no reason to believe that it isn't) just remember that the 'pool' is sometimes quite extensive. Erotic Couplings is currently showing in excess of 44,000 stories; and even Romance is showing almost 12,000. We're talking lottery odds here. :)

Not if you have hundreds and hundreds of stories in a category. The odds should be in your favor to see one of your stories pop up in a year.

Not if you have hundreds and hundreds of stories in a category. The odds should be in your favor to see one of your stories pop up in a year.

Fair enough, Pilot. But how many authors have hundreds and hundreds of stories posted? Not me, that's for sure.

It could be that the random section excludes works by the user logged in. Why would you want to pick one of your own stories? Really?

That would have to be a recent change (and we know how likely changes happen around here). I frequently was on the random lists in years past.

That would have to be a recent change (and we know how likely changes happen around here). I frequently was on the random lists in years past.

That was before you were branded a site troll for calling out...what you just did about changes.

So you are getting the Freddie treatment on the random list.

That was before you were branded a site troll for calling out...what you just did about changes.

On the "New" list too. Nothing random about the placement there.

On the "New" list too. Nothing random about the placement there.

You get crap placement on the new list?

What about the category list where it has the new stories at the top?

I never look at the new list so I have no clue if I get decent placement there or not...most likely not I was branded a troll in the same thread.:rolleyes:

But I seem to show up near the top of the category hubs

You get crap placement on the new list?

Yep. At one time I always was in the top third of the New list (which I thought was strange, so I looked for that each time). Now I'm in the bottom third--down there with SamuelX and Freddie.

Doesn't stop me from submitting on my regular schedule (usually once/week, submitted on Sunday).

I think the listings in the hub just follow where the story placed with others in that category in the New list.

Yep. At one time I always was in the top third of the New list (which I thought was strange, so I looked for that each time). Now I'm in the bottom third--down there with SamuelX and Freddie.

Doesn't stop me from submitting on my regular schedule (usually once/week, submitted on Sunday).

I think the listings in the hub just follow where the story placed with others in that category in the New list.

Aw jeez with Samuel X? How Ignominious. I'm submitting one Wednesday night(because I like Friday releases) I'll have to look at the new list and see where I am.

The change wouldn't be very hard, just a clause on the SQL select statement.

Where user_id != current_user_id

Simple as that.

42 clicks of the "Spin" button brought up my latest story as RR on the Mature list while logged in as RR. ( and I saw SR along the way )

After 50 clicks, I didn't see Les or RR in Group ( though I did see Lovecraft )

After 50 clicks, I didn't see Dark or Les in Sci-Fi&Fantasy, despite having 90 submissions. ( Logged in as RR )

After 50 clicks, I didn't see Les or RR in Anal, though I did see SamuelX about 12 times.

After 50 clicks, I didn't see Les or RR in Incest, though I did see scouries, Geronimo, and Freddie.

After 50 clicks, I didn't see RR in Interracial, though I did see SamuelX 22 times -- sometimes twice per new set of results.

50% of the time when I load up the Chain Stories category as Dark or Les, I'm on the random list. The max number of spins I've managed without showing up is 2. If you take both Dark and Les then it's 1. There are only a little more than 500 submissions in the category, and I have 14 between those two names.

In 50 clicks of the Gay Male category, I saw SR 21 times ( again, sometimes twice per new set of results )

In other words, random results are random, but the higher the percentage of total stories you have in the category, the more likely you are to appear.

Last edited:
post erased (and, no, this didn't involve a heated exchange).

Last edited:
I apologize. I hadn't even considered that. I'm going to edit all references to him from my posts, and you can edit them from your posts/my quotes if you wish.

And you do know random in a computer isn't really random.

Depends. Pseudorandom methods aren't random but for this purpose someone would have had to have screwed up badly for the results not to be plenty good (meaning plenty fair) enough. If they really wanted it to be truly random, there are options (including random.org, which is truly random if you believe randomness exists at all.) But there'd be no reason to bother.

Back